As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The hypocrisy of console gaming input devices

r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
Fact: The mouse and keyboard is the most fun and most realistic way to control a gun in a video game.

Fact: It's not viable to have a mouse and keyboard in front of you for most home console game setups in front of a TV.

Fact: Video game companies have been telling us that people are willing to forgo the awesomeness of the mouse/keyboard in order to have the social aspects of a console connected to a television that you can sit down in front of and play games with your friends.

Fact: Most games these days are FPS's with little chance for playing together with someone else in the same room as you. Either you are forced to play split-screen or the coop mode is non-existent unless you are playing through the internet on separate systems.

Fact: It's difficult to find a decent coop game that can be played in the same room for this generation of consoles.

Fact: The only console that has a better solution for FPS input, the Wii, is more focused on non-FPS games.

Fact: Other means of input have a long way to go before they become truly enjoyable for FPS gaming.

Given the stated facts, it's hard to justify the actions of the console video game industry. Why do they continue to make games that are largely single player affairs? Why isn't anyone making cool coop games for consoles that don't have lame physics-based controllers?

r4dr3z on

• PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Whole lot of opinions in this thread.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, rfourdrthreez, some people like different control schemes in games than you. Shocking, I know.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't play gun games.

What now, silly goose?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    I don't play gun games.

What now, asshole?

Then please, what non-gun games do you play? There are so many more gun games than other types of games it's hard for a guy like me to find something fun. That was one of my points.

r4dr3z on
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fact - I don't think this word means what you think it means.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    Whole lot of opinions in this thread.
    :lol:

Best post in the thread, we can all go home.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    r4dr3z wrote: »
    Fact: The mouse and keyboard is the most fun and most realistic way to control a gun in a video game.

Wrong
    Fact: It's not viable to have a mouse and keyboard in front of you for most home console game setups in front of a TV.

Fair enough
    Fact: Video game companies have been telling us that people are willing to forgo the awesomeness of the mouse/keyboard in order to have the social aspects of a console connected to a television that you can sit down in front of and play games with your friends.

Possible fact, don't know for sure
    Fact: Most games these days are FPS's with little chance for playing together with someone else in the same room as you. Either you are forced to play split-screen or the coop mode is non-existent unless you are playing through the internet on separate systems.

Wrong within the first six words
    Fact: It's difficult to find a decent coop game that can be played in the same room for this generation of consoles.

Incorrect. May be true of the FPS genre.
    Fact: The only console that has a better solution for FPS input, the Wii, is more focused on non-FPS games.

Wrong that it's better, true about the focus.
    Fact: Other means of input have a long way to go before they become truly enjoyable for FPS gaming.

Nope, because something as simple as Halo 3 is far more enjoyable than the PC FPS's I've played
    Given the stated facts, it's hard to justify the actions of the console video game industry. Why do they continue to make games that are largely single player affairs?

They don't, games have been shifting more and more in the multiplayer direction for a while now. Hell, it's rarer to find a fully fleshed-out single-player experience than a game with multiplayer thrown in.
    Why isn't anyone making cool coop games for consoles that don't have lame physics-based controllers?

There are quite a few. Try Halo, Left 4 Dead, Rock Band, etc.

UnbreakableVow on
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fact: bears eat beets

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    fact : my opinions are fact!

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Adus on
    edited June 2010
    Fact: The best co-op game this generation is New Super Mario Bros Wii

Fact: I am awesome.

Pata on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Adus wrote: »

Beetlestar Galactica.

Fact.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited June 2010
    fact: this entire statement is a lie

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I prefer my 360 controller to they K/M set up.

And I don't know about you, but I've never played co-op anything on the PC with someone else in the same room.

If you're refering to lans, I do that all the time with MW2 and my friends. Thankfully, my 360 has an HDMI port and an HDMI to DVi is really really cheap.

belligerent on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Looks like somebody just watched today's ZP and got righteously outraged at Big Gaming's attempt to kill off REAL gamers.

BlueDestiny on
    edited June 2010

Wrong
    Okay, then what is the best method?

Then please, give me some counter-examples.
    Why isn't anyone making cool coop games for consoles that don't have lame physics-based controllers?

I'll give you Rock Band, but Halo and Left4Dead are FPS's that are better to play on your own machine solo. I'm talking about a coop game where it works out best if both people are in the same room! Hint: if you have to have a split screen, it's probably not a good coop game.

r4dr3z on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Adus wrote: »

Adus, question. What bear is best?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fact: There were about 89,700,000 results for "sports injuries" on a recent internet search. That is a lot. Clearly, sports are very dangerous and should be avoided.

AnakinOU on
    edited June 2010
    Fact: The best co-op game this generation is New Super Mario Bros Wii

Fact: I am awesome.

Yes, but that is for the one console that is making inroads with FPS-type controllers. Where are the co-op games for traditional joysticks?

r4dr3z on
    edited June 2010
    This just in: People prefer different things

More at 11
    But seriously, everything you've shown as 'fact' is actually 'opinion'

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Science.

Ceno on
  • BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    sega-light-gun.jpg

Wasn't there a game were you shot silly geese?

EDIT: Limed two words that, put together, made me giggle.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    fact: replying to posts in multiple parts is stupid

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited June 2010
    You're a bit focused on FPS games, aren't you.

Pata on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll give you Rock Band, but Halo and Left4Dead are FPS's that are better to play on your own machine solo.

You obviously have never played L4D.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FACT: I like the simplicity of Xbox live. Any multiplayer shooters I play I'll automatically and easily be able to play with my friends (assuming they own it as well)

FACT: My wife plays shooters with me.

FACT: Trying to play co-op on a single computer sucks really hard.

Sipex on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also obvious troll thread is obvious.

BlueDestiny on
    edited June 2010
    Bedigunz wrote: »

More at 11

Yes, and no video game manufacturer is appealing to my interest. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be console FPS's. I'm just saying that there needs to be more games that aren't just for one person per TV.

r4dr3z on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I prefer gamepads for some games. It varies from FPS to FPS, and non-FPS to FPS.

WHAT A TWEEST

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Wrong
    Okay, then what is the best method?

Then please, give me some counter-examples.

I'll give you Rock Band, but Halo and Left4Dead are FPS's that are better to play on your own machine solo. I'm talking about a coop game where it works out best if both people are in the same room! Hint: if you have to have a split screen, it's probably not a good coop game.

Best method is whichever you're most comfortable with, which is personal preference. I am not comfortable using mouse-and-keyboard for FPS. Dual-analog setup is ideal for me.

Most games aren't first-person shooters. Go to a GameStop sometime and look at the wall.

Someone else may be better off mentioning your same-room co-op example, because outside of Rock Band I really don't give a shit about co-op gaming in general.

UnbreakableVow on
  • G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't understand how the OP's facts make console gaming input devices hypocritical. Like, is it hypocrital for a console maufacturer to allow publishers to sell FPS and/or "gun games" when a keyboard mouse setup isn't an option? Can an inanimate object (the input device) be hypocritial? Quite the philisophical quandry...

I'll just assume the title of the thread doesn't make any goddamn sense.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fact: 20 million kids are devoured by bats every second.

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
    edited June 2010
    Bedigunz wrote: »

More at 11

Yes, and no video game manufacturer is appealing to my interest. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be console FPS's. I'm just saying that there needs to be more games that aren't just for one person per TV.

Go play party games on the wii

or beat'em ups on the 360 or PS3

or racing games.

If you want co-op FPS games on one console, be prepared to lose quality and screen size. You may be fine with that, but with access to broadband and the ability to sell games, split screen FPS is a dying breed.

Sorry broseph

Edit: I'll be perfectly honest, I stopped reading the OP halfway through when I realized that the 'facts' aren't actual 'facts'. At that point I just started rambling like r4dr3z did

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    edited June 2010
    I find it funny that the OP says that Mouse/Keyboard is the most realistic way to simulate guns in games.

FPSs are almost nothing like real life marksmanship anyways.

Pata on
    edited June 2010

Ah, it's pointless. My original intent has been so watered-down there is no way to convince you guys. I'm just trying to say that there should be more non-FPS co-op games this generation for consoles other than the Wii.

I'm not trying to say that we should all go back to PC gaming, or that console gaming matchmaking sucks, or that all FPS games suck on the console.

r4dr3z on
    edited June 2010
    G Rol wrote: »
    I don't understand how the OP's facts make console gaming input devices hypocritical. Like, is it hypocrital for a console maufacturer to allow publishers to sell FPS and/or "gun games" when a keyboard mouse setup isn't an option? Can an inanimate object (the input device) be hypocritial? Quite the philisophical quandry...

I'll just assume the title of the thread doesn't make any goddamn sense.

Not the devices themselves, but the industry's insistence that we should be using the joystick device because it is more social, but then all of the game that come out are anti-social. It's not too big of a leap from the thread title.

r4dr3z on
  • BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm just trying to say that there should be more non-FPS co-op games this generation for consoles other than the Wii.

Fact: There's plenty IMO.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010

Ah, it's pointless. My original intent has been so watered-down there is no way to convince you guys. I'm just trying to say that there should be more non-FPS co-op games this generation for consoles other than the Wii.

I'm not trying to say that we should all go back to PC gaming, or that console gaming matchmaking sucks, or that all FPS games suck on the console.

Beat'em ups?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Fact: You probably fooled a lot of people with your first sentence:

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited June 2010
    I find it funny that the OP says that Mouse/Keyboard is the most realistic way to simulate guns in games.

FPSs are almost nothing like real life marksmanship anyways.

Notice I said most realistic, and not actually realistic.

r4dr3z on
This discussion has been closed.