As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The hypocrisy of console gaming input devices

2»

• Options
    r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Banshee wrote: »
    r4dr3z wrote: »
    Also obvious troll thread is obvious.
    I'm just trying to say that there should be more non-FPS co-op games this generation for consoles other than the Wii.

Fact: There's plenty IMO.

Name 5.

r4dr3z on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Scott Pilgrim game, Lego series, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (yeah it's wii but it's not a party game), Super Mario Galaxy, LittlebigPlanet

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm just trying to say that there should be more non-FPS co-op games this generation for consoles other than the Wii.

Name 5.

Deathsmiles came out yesterday.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Name 5.

How many music games are there?

Oh, and Castle Crashers.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Name 5.

NinetyNine Nights
    Army of One
    Army of One: 2
    Resident Evil 5
    Kane and Lynch

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Scott Pilgrim game, Lego series, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (yeah it's wii but it's not a party game), Super Mario Galaxy, LittlebigPlanet

You lose points for naming 2 Wii games.

r4dr3z on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Adus, question. What bear is best?

That's a ridiculous question.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Crackdown
    Crackdown 2
    Fable 2

Should I keep going?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    I find it funny that the OP says that Mouse/Keyboard is the most realistic way to simulate guns in games.

FPSs are almost nothing like real life marksmanship anyways.

Notice I said most realistic, and not actually realistic.

What the frack does that even mean?

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Cheater.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fact: Most games these days are FPS's with little chance for playing together with someone else in the same room as you. Either you are forced to play split-screen or the coop mode is non-existent unless you are playing through the internet on separate systems.

Forced to play split screen? If you want to play with someone in the same room, what else are you going to do?

I don't know what you're getting at here, especially since local co-op is one hundred and thirty five times less common on the PC.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait, what?
    I assume you use the term "Single player" as in one person playing on the console at a time, online against other people.

The Social aspects of console gaming, which isn't much different than PC gaming is simply being able to chat. Skype if you will, except on a console you're not forced to fork out $100.00 - $300.00 every two years for an update. Consoles are good for peple/families who aren't into the whole tech side of gaming. They just want to get a machine that plays a game. No issues with manually downloading patches, updating drivers, gettign better videocards, accidentally buying a game where their PC doesn't meet minimum specs.

This is ,at least why I went for consoles. Simpler everything. And I don't even care anual online fees or missing a keyboard and mouse, (KBAM to me is only really needed for RTS's realistically anyways)

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fact: The new Battlestar Galactica is, in fact, a shot-for-shot remake of the original. Including every wookiee and Vulcan.

Ceno on
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Earth Defense Force 2017: all the same couch co-op you ever need for the rest of your life.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fact: Mayonayse is not a substitue for K-Y Jelly.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    so if a co-op game is ALSO on the wii, it doesn't count? anyways OP, I'm done. There are plenty of co-op games out there. just maybe not to your liking.

belligerent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Name 5.

NinetyNine Nights
    Army of One
    Resident Evil 5
    Kane and Lynch
    You lose points for naming FPS games.

r4dr3z on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Fact: Most games these days are FPS's with little chance for playing together with someone else in the same room as you. Either you are forced to play split-screen or the coop mode is non-existent unless you are playing through the internet on separate systems.

Forced to play split screen? If you want to play with someone in the same room, what else are you going to do?

I don't know what you're getting at here, especially since local co-op is one hundred and thirty five times less common on the PC.

Champions of Norrath for PS2.

r4dr3z on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    local co-op is one hundred and thirty five times less common on the PC.

And that's a fact.

In this thread anyway.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Long story short, your facts are not facts. Even though I listed 2 wii games, other people filled in the gaps quite nicely. Thanks folks.

Also, Lego Harry Potter is tits

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Analrapist wrote: »
    (KBAM to me is only really needed for RTS's realistically anyways)

Brutal Legend pulled it off brilliantly.

Cantido on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Name 5.

NinetyNine Nights
    Army of One
    Resident Evil 5
    Kane and Lynch

To be fair, if you take the titles that qualify from the varying sources by people here you'll find they've named plenty.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Name 5.

NinetyNine Nights
    Army of One
    Resident Evil 5
    Kane and Lynch

These are 3rd person shooters. Not first person shooters.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wait, what?
    I assume you use the term "Single player" as in one person playing on the console at a time, online against other people.

The Social aspects of console gaming, which isn't much different than PC gaming is simply being able to chat. Skype if you will, except on a console you're not forced to fork out $100.00 - $300.00 every two years for an update. Consoles are good for peple/families who aren't into the whole tech side of gaming. They just want to get a machine that plays a game. No issues with manually downloading patches, updating drivers, gettign better videocards, accidentally buying a game where their PC doesn't meet minimum specs.

This is ,at least why I went for consoles. Simpler everything. And I don't even care anual online fees or missing a keyboard and mouse, (KBAM to me is only really needed for RTS's realistically anyways)

Yes consoles are awesome for all of that. But then why are we forced to use shitty joysticks to play games that are better with a mouse and keyboard?

I guess KBM vs. joystick is still up for debate. But in any FPS played online competitively KBM vs. joystick, KBM will win every time.

r4dr3z on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Also, Lego Harry Potter is tits

Indeed it is, sir.

Indeed it is.

Pssst, I'm in Tom Riddle's diary now.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Name 5.

NinetyNine Nights
    Army of One
    Resident Evil 5
    Kane and Lynch

They're third person shooters you silly goose.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    1. Fact: The mouse and keyboard is the most fun and most realistic way to control a gun in a video game.

2. Fact: It's not viable to have a mouse and keyboard in front of you for most home console game setups in front of a TV.

3. Fact: Video game companies have been telling us that people are willing to forgo the awesomeness of the mouse/keyboard in order to have the social aspects of a console connected to a television that you can sit down in front of and play games with your friends.

4. Fact: Most games these days are FPS's with little chance for playing together with someone else in the same room as you. Either you are forced to play split-screen or the coop mode is non-existent unless you are playing through the internet on separate systems.

5. Fact: It's difficult to find a decent coop game that can be played in the same room for this generation of consoles.

6. Fact: The only console that has a better solution for FPS input, the Wii, is more focused on non-FPS games.

7. Fact: Other means of input have a long way to go before they become truly enjoyable for FPS gaming.

Given the stated facts, it's hard to justify the actions of the console video game industry. Why do they continue to make games that are largely single player affairs? Why isn't anyone making cool coop games for consoles that don't have lame physics-based controllers?

1. I'm not sure about realistic, but I would say agree it is the best way for aiming, turning/movement. Control sticks are really terrible. Wii remote is pretty good.

2. Phantom lap board?!?! For the most part, I agree here.

3+4. Split screen multiplayer going by the way side has really annoyed me. I'm not a fan of the game, but Modern Warfare 2 got a big plus from me for including 4 player local split screen. I'm sure most console games don't include it because they are already running at a shit framerate to begin with (30FPS, barely sometimes) to maintain higher graphics. As far as coop, it seems now more then ever games are going out of their way to include it, but never the main campaign, always custom levels made specifically for that purpose.

5. Disagree here, but when it comes to actually having some sort of local multiplayer, it is getting tougher and tougher.

6. It is a shame that the Wii doesn't have more FPS games that are worth it because I feel the wii remote aiming is quite good (but not as good as a mouse). I really wish we had Timesplitters 4 (and not goldeneye "remake")

7. With control sticks, it'll never even come close. There were a couple games where I could tolerate horrible aiming with control sticks (timesplitters, geist) but it just isn't nearly as good as a mouse.

Single player affairs tend to sell more would be my guess. Especially since so many games nowadays are not interested in building any sort of lastability. Most games with multiplayer are not played much after the first month or two. Also, with multiplayer games, they want you to play for a few months to a year so then ditch it and buy the next game. PC on the other hand, many games have survived going on over 10 years.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait, what?

Yes consoles are awesome for all of that. But then why are we forced to use shitty joysticks to play games that are better with a mouse and keyboard?

I guess KBM vs. joystick is still up for debate. But in any FPS played online competitively KBM vs. joystick, KBM will win every time.

Then it's good they're rarely played against each other!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Name 5.

NinetyNine Nights
    Army of One
    Resident Evil 5
    Kane and Lynch

Fact: Handing out "points" makes you kind of sound like a dick.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

but it is a good contraceptive if you take an entire jar internally every day for three months.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

but it is a good contraceptive if you take an entire jar internally every day for three months.

Due to obesity? Or perhaps a heart attack? Both are bad for a sex life.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fact: Bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think this thread got sidetracked. Between the various facts about keyboards and FPS' that actually aren't and points, we kinda lost track of what was important.

Hypocrisy.

Discuss.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fact: I prefer controller over kbam when playing transformers:wfc for pc.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wait, what?

Again, joysticks are for the majority who aren't tech savvy. Consoles generally try to reach as much of the market place as they can. Giving your mother a keyboard and have her work out the controls to TIE Fighter compared to a controller and Mario 64, I'm sure she'll appreciate the console way of making things move better. One disadvantage of KBAM is the speed in which you move a character. Walk or run. No in between usually.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fact: Bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round.

Fact: you gonna take me home tonight
    Fact: down beside that red fire light

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Fact: the plural of "opinion" is not "facts".

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.