As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Free Comic Book Day - May 5, 2007

LRGLRG Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Graphic Violence
That's saturday, yall, so don't forget and miss out on this most glorious of holidays.

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

My LCS is superbad on FCBD- they let you get like 5 free comics and they have a sale on back issues.

oh shit free Kirkman and werewolves ftw

LRG on

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm gonna try to get to the shop but I don't know if I'll be able to

and what the fuck, DC

nobody wants that Legion comic

give a real comic

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've gotta work that day, but I'm going to try to weasle out of it so I can go and then immediately after catch a showing of Spider-Man 3. It'll be nerdtastic.

Really I only want Astounding Wolf-Man and Spider-Man though. I was really hoping DC and ONI would have fresh offerings this year too. The Scott Pilgrim/Fearless Griggs from ONI last year was fantastic.

Munch on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey, absolutely nothing I want as far as I can tell.

Anyone looking forward to something besides Wolf-Man and Spider-Man, which seem moderately interesting?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As long as I get the Marvel and Image books, I'll pretty much call FCB Day a win.

Also, reprints and teasers on FCBD are some bullshit. I know the books are free, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I know a few gaming companies are giving away minis if that's any consolation. Wizkids is doing a Batman, last year they had a Wolvie with a lameass shirt, but has a decent dial.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey, absolutely nothing I want as far as I can tell.

Anyone looking forward to something besides Wolf-Man and Spider-Man, which seem moderately interesting?

Bongo's free for all sounds good, but I like Simpsons and Futurama comics. Either last year or the year before had hilarious story staring the comic book guy.

I also like hanging out with the Riverdale gang, so there's that....

Yeah, this year isn't doesn't have a big bunch of free great sounding comics, but there might be some surprises.

LRG on
  • FolkFolk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I get to work 11 hours this saturday. The best part is I work at a comic book shop, so its going to be one fun day.

Folk on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    I've gotta work that day, but I'm going to try to weasle out of it so I can go and then immediately after catch a showing of Spider-Man 3. It'll be nerdtastic.

I'm sorry, I know it's not my business, but are you saying that you are going to try and get out of work (as in paying job I assume) so you can get to your shop for free comic day?

Or are you saying that you're going to try and skip work (as in paying job, again an assumption) so you can get to your shop for free comic day then go see Spider-Man 3, a movie you would otherwise have to wait another day and see because of said job?

I wait patiently for your answer.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, thanks to their search engine, I've discovered the existence of two comic stores around here that I've never seen or heard of.

So that's something.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited April 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »

I'm sorry, I know it's not my business, but are you saying that you are going to try and get out of work (as in paying job I assume) so you can get to your shop for free comic day?

Or are you saying that you're going to try and skip work (as in paying job, again an assumption) so you can get to your shop for free comic day then go see Spider-Man 3, a movie you would otherwise have to wait another day and see because of said job?

Works sucks, Bad Karma. But you wouldn't know that, with your gold necklace, trust fund, and cognac.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Karma why the Munch hate

did Munch kill your parents, Karma?

Sars_Boy on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bad Karma wrote:

Dude-- comics.

If you want a detailed explanation however, I'm going to attempt to switch my Saturday shift (as I typically work every Friday, Saturday, and sometimes Sunday, leaving me with little to no weekend) to the Friday that I suddenly have off, having had that day switched to a Thursday, when I'm typically off. If you're kind of not-so-subtly implying that my comic lust is so great that it's impairing my ability to function like a responsible adult, not so. At my current job, in the years I've worked there, I've taken zero sick days and one week of unpaid vacation time, and I actually work every Wednesday as is, so it's not like I'm a shiftless layabout or that being without my funnybooks is debilitating to me; I just enjoy my hobbies and think it'd be swell if I could somehow swing this to have a fun weekend.

Alternatively, pretend I'm going to be at home jerking off to a picture of Blue Beetle and snorting blow while slathered in chocolate sauce and shame. Whichever you prefer.

Munch on
    edited April 2007
    Works sucks, Bad Karma. But you wouldn't know that, with your gold necklace, trust fund, and cognac.

I wish dude, I wish.

Bad Karma on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    will you two get married and divorced already

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2007
    I'm going to be at home jerking off to a picture of Blue Beetle and snorting blow while slathered in chocolate sauce and shame.
    I'm so tempted to sig this.

Hooraydiation, you forgot the monocle

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited April 2007
    I'm going to be at home jerking off to a picture of Blue Beetle and snorting blow while slathered in chocolate sauce and shame.
    I'm so tempted to sig this.

Hooraydiation, you forgot the monocle

That's Muffin Man's deal.

Bad Karma on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hope my local store is one of the ones giving out Justice League #0.

I don't have that.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My local store is doing 20% off on all TPB's SCORE! and I get paid tommorow. I'm ppppuuuuumped...

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A free Dan Slott Spider-Man book?

Yes, please.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Tempted just to go down there on Saturday to pick up my pull list, instead of going Wednesday and Saturday.

DarkPrimus on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2007
    They should really hand out flyers for this or something at Friday screenings of Spider-Man 3.

DJ Eebs on
  • MavinashMavinash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Tempted just to go down there on Saturday to pick up my pull list, instead of going Wednesday and Saturday.

Indeed. Seems I'll be walking away with quite the baggie because of all the 1st week releases.

Mavinash on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not really excited about any of that stuff.

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    They should really hand out flyers for this or something at Friday screenings of Spider-Man 3.

I'll probably run this idea by the owner of the shop I go to. Hell, his shop is right across the road from the mall where our biggest movie theater is and he's on one of the main streets in town. That should count for something.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2007

Well, not to be a dick, but this kind of thing isn't intended for people who are already reading comic books. This whole thing is about getting new people into comic book shops with the promise of free things.

DJ Eebs on
    edited May 2007

Well, not to be a dick, but this kind of thing isn't intended for people who are already reading comic books. This whole thing is about getting new people into comic book shops with the promise of free things.

Hey now. I'm pretty sure it's also meant as a reward to loyal readers. A show of appreciation for our business.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No shop near me :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2007
    No shop near me :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

If you start hitchhiking now, you can totally make it to the nearest one by Saturday.

wwtMask on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Dick.

Marathon on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey, kickass! They're giving away comics in Ireland! And in my city too! I can get one!

*is happy*

Desktop Hippie on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Very excited about Free Comic Book Day. Not only is my shop having the free comics and local artists doing sketches, but everything in the store is 25% off and back issues under $5 are a dollar. I'm scared to see how much I spend.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited May 2007
    Nobody's talking about Free Comic Book Day on Free Comic Book Day! Oh well, I'll just read the rest of my free comics.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited May 2007
    Wolf-Man was alright, though nothing really happened

Menace on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I only get two free books from the local shop, but I can't get there until 3, so... probably won't be much of selection by then anyway.

DarkPrimus on
  • animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I got Owly and Mickey Mouse along with some trades and back issues. The Mickey Mouse one is a must get imo.

animale on
    edited May 2007
    I picked mine up on Wednesday.

:rotate:

Bad Karma on
    edited May 2007
    As far as I know, my LCS doesn't even give away free comics except for the ones specifically created for that purpose.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited May 2007
    that's, uh, that's how it works, is it not?

Menace on
    edited May 2007
    Indeed it is!

Sometimes there'll be an extra thing at the store's discretion, like discounts or a signing, but it's not guaranteed.

Some guy was signing at my store, but I didn't know who he was so I was too embarrassed to approach. I believe it was local talent.

Wolf-Man was a let down, but Spider-Man was grand. I honestly hope that villain returns.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Menace wrote: »
    that's, uh, that's how it works, is it not?

That's what I assumed, but the way people were talking here made me think some of their shops were doing something different.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif