As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is the [Chat] Black Enough?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Let me repeat - knowing the animation style is not an indication that he knows the series, just that he's watched the opening credits, perhaps a single episode. I wouldn't consider knowing what it looks like to be 'passing knowledge' of the series.

And yes, I read the review, thank you.

Now calm down Preacher, I don't know what you're getting upset about here.

That you talked out of your ass and are now moving the goal posts to hide that fact?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    if anyone wants to call me for phone sex i'm down

i'm not picky on gender either

MikeMan on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Nerds! SkyNet is deciphering 3,500-year-old languages!

http://io9.com/5576734/computer-program-deciphers-a-dead-language-that-mystified-linguists

And here I am struggling with Arabic.

Daaaamn that is a misleading headline. Interesting article once you get past the bullshit that comprises the first half or so though.

Yeah. So what if some dude already deciphered it it.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Why do bottles of beer not have Nutritional Information labels?

Because if people knew beer was great for growing children, it would upset the natural order.

That was my thought.

"What? This beer is full of vitamin C, fiber, it has...it prevents aging?!"

_J_ on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    hey, you can fix that oven pretty easily with a new element and a clip.

I DON'T WANT A FIRE

it's not gonna cause a...

IM GONNA BUY A NEW STOVE

When did you talk to my mother on the phone? How did you get her number?!

I've found my long lost invisible brother!!!!!

Dunadan019 on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »

The new (to [chat]) girl was looking into starting a phone sex business...

Chanus on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    ELENDIL

TONIGHT

WE GET OUR BORDERLANDS ON

okay

Elendil on
    edited June 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »

You say this like this is something different then usual...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    ELENDIL

TONIGHT

okay

:P

Nerdgasmic on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, the last paragraph was interesting:

"Ugaritic itself is an awesomely fascinating language. Spoken 3,500 years ago in the city of Ugarit, located in modern Syria, the language is a Semitic relative of Hebrew, although its alphabet closely resembles the cuneiform used in ancient Sumeria. The surviving Ugaritic texts tell the stories of a Canaanite religion that is similar but not identical to that recorded in the Old Testament, providing Bible scholars a unique opportunity to examine how the Bible and ancient Israelite culture developed in relation to its neighbors."

Huh!

desc on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, all it took was browsing through Ebert's thumbs up/thumbs down designations for movies that are currently out to remind me that we have pretty different tastes in movies.

Occasionally they intersect, but for the most part I can determine how much I'm going to enjoy a movie (particularly action movies) by how much he dislikes it.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited June 2010

Because if people knew beer was great for growing children, it would upset the natural order.

That was my thought.

"What? This beer is full of vitamin C, fiber, it has...it prevents aging?!"

I mean, it has to be true.

I drink way too much to have normal blood pressure and be otherwise fit as a fiddle.

Chanus on
    edited June 2010
    I will probably be on at 8-ish or 8:30ish

Elendil on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Let me repeat - knowing the animation style is not an indication that he knows the series, just that he's watched the opening credits, perhaps a single episode. I wouldn't consider knowing what it looks like to be 'passing knowledge' of the series.

And yes, I read the review, thank you.

Now calm down Preacher, I don't know what you're getting upset about here.

That you talked out of your ass and are now moving the goal posts to hide that fact?

Your whole idea seems to be that you trust his review because you think he has passing knowledge of the show. I'm saying he doesn't, I've been saying this from the beginning. Knowing what it looks like is not passing knowledge, and is yet another indication that he doesn't know about the original series. It's like saying I know Mike just because I saw a video of him eating a bacon sandwich.

Passerbye on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love how the heroine gets that since she is in the sequel of a slasher movie with the same guy after her that letting the guy scamper away into the mountains does not mean the movie is over

because that means he's going to come back for another movie

so grab that shotgun and get on that snowmobile

because a lot of countries have very old, very strict, laws about how you can make beer so it's not needed or something

I dunno just guessing

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited June 2010
    Man, all it took was browsing through Ebert's thumbs up/thumbs down designations for movies that are currently out to remind me that we have pretty different tastes in movies.

Occasionally they intersect, but for the most part I can determine how much I'm going to enjoy a movie (particularly action movies) by how much he dislikes it.

Our local movie reviewer guy for the paper has horrible taste in movies and is pretentious as fuck. The same thing applies, really. If he has all these high-minded-sounding bullshit reasons why a movie was terrible, it will probably be the best movie I've seen all year.

Chanus on
    edited June 2010

Him and I are hit and miss on movies. Most of the time I hate the same things he hates, but sometimes he likes something I can't stand.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

http://io9.com/5576734/computer-program-deciphers-a-dead-language-that-mystified-linguists

Daaaamn that is a misleading headline. Interesting article once you get past the bullshit that comprises the first half or so though.

That's like saying "so what if Jean-François Champollion already deciphered egyptian hieroglyphs". There has been a lot of progress in Ugaritic since it's initial decipherment.

What that article was really about was the ability of that program to do a pretty good job of replicating half or so of the work that humans had done in 50 years over the course of a few hours.

This program was not doing any new or original translation. They were using it on a difficult language that had already been translated so that they could check how accurate the program is. The program turned out to be quite good.

So, very interesting. But the headling and first part of the article totally mislead the reader as to why.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I had no idea there was a browser built into steam. never used this overlay thing before.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited June 2010
    I'm not ready for Crackdown 2 to come out. I have so many stupid games waiting to be played.

desc on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    The loudest plane does not inspire as much as the quietest bird.

JustinSane07 on
    edited June 2010

That's like saying "so what if Jean-François Champollion already deciphered egyptian hieroglyphs". There has been a lot of progress in Ugaritic since it's initial decipherment.

What that article was really about was the ability of that program to do a pretty good job of replicating half or so of the work that humans had done in 50 years over the course of a few hours.

This program was not doing any new or original translation. They were using it on a difficult language that had already been translated so that they could check how accurate the program is. The program turned out to be quite good.

So, very interesting. But the headling and first part of the article totally mislead the reader as to why.

Oh yes, I'm with you. I was being sarcastic.

Chanus on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ELENDIL

TONIGHT

okay

But... guys... I'm busy tonight.

:(

Thanatos on
    edited June 2010
    The loudest plane does not inspire as much as the quietest bird.

Did you turn into a 1,500-year-old Chinese man sometime this afternoon?

Chanus on
    edited June 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    ELENDIL

TONIGHT

okay

do you have a ~28 dude

Elendil on
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywCX6znxUWQ

This depresses me a little.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Good lobbying. For the longest time, caffeine content didn't even have to be disclosed on drinks and the like.

TL DR on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    desc wrote: »
    Well, the last paragraph was interesting:

"Ugaritic itself is an awesomely fascinating language. Spoken 3,500 years ago in the city of Ugarit, located in modern Syria, the language is a Semitic relative of Hebrew, although its alphabet closely resembles the cuneiform used in ancient Sumeria. The surviving Ugaritic texts tell the stories of a Canaanite religion that is similar but not identical to that recorded in the Old Testament, providing Bible scholars a unique opportunity to examine how the Bible and ancient Israelite culture developed in relation to its neighbors."

Huh!

There is a lot of super interesting stuff in that area. Frank Moore Cross in particular wrote a lot about it (EG: Canaanite Myth and Hebrew Epic). And Robert Oden (who was his student way back when) has written about it and included some of the discoveries from Ugarit in his excellent series of lectures on the Old Testament.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited June 2010

Your whole idea seems to be that you trust his review because you think he has passing knowledge of the show. I'm saying he doesn't, I've been saying this from the beginning. Knowing what it looks like is not passing knowledge, and is yet another indication that he doesn't know about the original series. It's like saying I know Mike just because I saw a video of him eating a bacon sandwich.

I trust his review because he has professionally reviewed movies for longer then I've been alive. I believe he might have a passing knowledge of the series from a paragraph in his review, while you have no evidence to your viewpoint you still maintain it.

I'm at a lack as to why you think I based my opinion his potential knowledge. He ripped the movie for being a bad movie (shitty special effects, bad acting, and a lame 3d tie in amongst other things). I'm really at a loss to what you are saying other then a made up point of view not supported by anything other then your opinion.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

do you have a ~28 dude
    Probably. :cry:

Thanatos on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hey, you can fix that oven pretty easily with a new element and a clip.

I DON'T WANT A FIRE

it's not gonna cause a...

IM GONNA BUY A NEW STOVE

When did you talk to my mother on the phone? How did you get her number?!

I've found my long lost invisible brother!!!!!

One time her canister vacuum "mysteriously" sucked up a whole bunch of water and shorted. I fixed it by taking it apart, cleaning it out, and then drying each component. I then used a hair blower, paper towels, and good old-fashioned time to dry out the motor. This sounds involved but it was, like, 4 screws to take the top case off and everything else used plastic connectors.

She wouldn't use it for weeks and now unplugs it immediately after use for fear of a fire.

I blame Dateline NBC.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Oh man, this is hilarious. :D

Passerbye on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Our local movie reviewer guy for the paper has horrible taste in movies and is pretentious as fuck. The same thing applies, really. If he has all these high-minded-sounding bullshit reasons why a movie was terrible, it will probably be the best movie I've seen all year.

ebert is rarely like this though. he enjoys action movies all the time.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

everything is heavily processed

America's ethnic foods are defined as being barely edible plastics

Senjutsu on
    edited June 2010

We don't export fine food. We export being awesome and freedom.

Chanus on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Speaking of Skynet and nerdery

Stolen from reddit but still awesome.

I get the 1337 part and that the answer is 42, but I feel like I'm missing more intricate parts of the joke.

No that's pretty much it.

Douglas Adams reference and geekery

But the fact that the answer is 42 is kinda neat

Nocturne on
    edited June 2010

do you have a ~28 dude
    Probably. :cry:
    oh well

in any case you should be helping me raise my siren not frittering away our sessions on low level guys

like nerd

Elendil on
    edited June 2010
    Variable wrote: »

He liked the Losers, I can't fault a man for that. Loved that fucking movie.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited June 2010
    Variable wrote: »

Oh, I don't feel that way about Ebert... I just have a similar relationship with this guy as VH does with Ebert.

Actually, it probably means VH and I have fairly disparate tastes.

Chanus on
    edited June 2010
    There is a lot of super interesting stuff in that area. Frank Moore Cross in particular wrote a lot about it (EG: Canaanite Myth and Hebrew Epic). And Robert Oden (who was his student way back when) has written about it and included some of the discoveries from Ugarit in his excellent series of lecutres on the Old Testament.

Hmm. Add to Wishlist, click!

I am fresh off a Roman history bender. This sounds interesting.

desc on
This discussion has been closed.