As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Visiting Atlanta - Advice

RennRenn Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I've just been told I'm going on a business trip to Atlanta. This will be my first business trip, as well as my first trip to the USA (I'm from Australia).

I'm looking for any advice (places to visit, places not to visit, cultural things I may not know).

I'm also not going to have a car (or licence). Hows the public transport in the city? Can I get around?

I'm also going to need a phone over there - how easy is to buy a prepaid sim card and drop it into my phone? (and will I be able to get data?)

Any advice is good - I need all I can get :)

Renn on

• RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Renn wrote: »
    So, I've just been told I'm going on a business trip to Atlanta. This will be my first business trip, as well as my first trip to the USA (I'm from Australia).

I'm looking for any advice (places to visit, places not to visit, cultural things I may not know).

I'm also not going to have a car (or licence). Hows the public transport in the city? Can I get around?

I'm also going to need a phone over there - how easy is to buy a prepaid sim card and drop it into my phone? (and will I be able to get data?)

Any advice is good - I need all I can get :)

What are your interests? I can give you the routine drum up but what about music, clubbing, etc?

Tourist-y things to see: Atlanta aquarium, capitol building (yawn-ish), The Varsity, Turner Field, Piedmont park, CNN center, World of Coca-cola

Stay Away From: Underground Atlanta (though it may be safer these days than in the past), Little 5 Points after dark if you aren't in a group, North Druid Hills, I-285 unless you like sitting in traffic

Public transit: MARTA is the bus and train system in Atlanta. Depending on how long you're staying, you may want to look at a bus pass which you can buy at most supermarkets in the customer service department. If that doesn't do it for you, IIRC bus fare is $2 per one way trip.

Phone: You can get a prepaid phone for local calls at most supermarkets or even at gas stations. I'm not sure what to tell you for prepay on a sim card compatible with your phone. I'd say check your carrier and see if they offer such a thing for you international business-folk types.

Culture: Atlanta's population is a mix of people from lots of other parts of the USA and other nations. It's got a lot of different burroughs not unlike NYC - Sandy Springs, Midtown, Downtown, Virginia Highlands, Smyrna, Mableton, and Buckhead just to name a few. The city was burned to the ground during the US civil war so a lot of the road systems are confusing because reconstruction took a long time and had no real guidance behind it. There's an almost perverse love of using Peachtree to name things - Peachtree road, Peachtree street, Peachtree Industrial BLVD, Peachtree city. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Atlanta

Be aware that violent crime is pretty common in Atlanta - I'm not saying 'it will happen to YOU!', I'm just saying that you should be careful, especially if you go out to bars and whatnot. I've only been beaten up once while I was out, but holy crap did I get hurt.

Raekreu on
  • TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There isnt much touristy things to do in Atlanta. Especially if you dont have a car.

Besides the things that Raekreu mentioned, you could visit Stone Mountain. Unfortunately I dont think there are buses that run out that way. You can also hit up the Clairmont for a cultural experience.

Little Five Points after dark is fine. The place is borderline tourist trap now, especially on the weekends.

Public transportation blows. Atlanta is very spread out and MARTA (train) coverage is minimal.

What part of town is your hotel in? How long will you be here?

Taterskin on
    edited June 2010
    Taterskin wrote: »
    There isnt much touristy things to do in Atlanta. Especially if you dont have a car.

Besides the things that Raekreu mentioned, you could visit Stone Mountain. Unfortunately I dont think there are buses that run out that way. You can also hit up the Clairmont for a cultural experience.

Little Five Points after dark is fine. The place is borderline tourist trap now, especially on the weekends.

Public transportation blows. Atlanta is very spread out and MARTA (train) coverage is minimal.

What part of town is your hotel in? How long will you be here?

Good grief, how could I forget the Clairmont lounge? Just FYI, don't look it up if you're at work, Renn.

Raekreu on
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Don't listen to people suggesting the Clairmont, unless you have a strong stomach. It's where strippers go to DIE.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Evil GummyEvil Gummy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I loved Atlanta while I was there.

Check out the Vortex, yummy!

Also you should go to the Oakland Cemetary, it's beautiful, then hop across the street and have some food at the Six Feet Under. I went there like, three times, haha.

Evil Gummy on
    hatsig.jpg
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The aquarium is pretty awesome.

Also, the Turner building has a really good tour, including the Williams Street studio if you're an adult swim fan.

There might be a ballgame going on? The Braves are always fun to watch in person.

Finally, for food, go to a place called Dante's Down the Hatch. You can thank me later.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Go to the Clairmont Lounge on Sat night. They'll play all the old Disco/Funk/Oldschool R+B. It's super crowded, has horrible strippers and smells like a cross between sweat and piss. There is no better place in the world.

One place that is cool is the center for puppetry arts. www.puppet.org They have shows, but you can check online and see what's playing in it. They also have a museum that is pretty cool and it has some original muppets and fraggles and whatnot. They do a lot of kid's shows, but they also have more artsy and or more grown up shows too. Although, looking at the schedule it's all kid's shows until Halloween. I haven't been to any of their kid's shows, but children frighten and unnerve my delicate senses.

Culturally:
    Any soft drink is generally called "Coke." It's in the same way that people say Band Aids when they mean adhesive bandages or Legos when they mean plastic building blocks.

Also, where are you staying? Are you staying in actual Atlanta, or somewhere in the sprawl? If you're in actual Atlanta, you can use MARTA, but it will be time intensive. If you're in the sprawl, then you need a car.

Atlanta's pretty boring, really.

here's some touristy links.

Aquarium
    Zoo
    High Museum of Art
    Fernbank Natural History Museum
    Martin Luther King Center

Niceguy Myeye on
    edited June 2010
    Any soft drink is generally called "Coke."

"Coke" is Coca-cola, I would be pretty pissed off if I ordered a coke at a restaurant and got something else. Soda is more common to use if you don't specify the type of soft drink.

Raekreu on
  • ArsonistArsonist Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Raekreu wrote: »

"Coke" is Coca-cola, I would be pretty pissed off if I ordered a coke at a restaurant and got something else. Soda is more common to use if you don't specify the type of soft drink.

In the majority of the southeast - Coke = Soda. Just not quite in the context you're thinking. Example conversation -

Guy 1 - "Hey you want a Coke?"
    Guy 2 - "Sure, what do you have?"
    Guy 1 - "Sprite, A&W and Pepsi."
    Guy 2 - "A Sprite would be great, thanks."

Arsonist on
    edited July 2010
    Arsonist wrote: »
    Raekreu wrote: »

In the majority of the southeast - Coke = Soda. Just not quite in the context you're thinking. Example conversation -

Guy 1 - "Sprite, A&W and Pepsi."
    Guy 2 - "A Sprite would be great, thanks."

I understand what you're saying, it's just that I've lived in Georgia my whole life and no one I've ever met has used coke as a catch-all for any kind of soft drink. The conversation as I'd imagine it would be more like:

Guy 1 - "Regular and diet."
    Guy 2 - "Eeew, diet, I'll take a regular, thanks."

Raekreu on
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ignore The Varsity; it's a jumped-up McDonalds. Other than being huge there's nothing to recommend it.

Also, "Coke" is likely to mean "Coca-Cola" in my experience. A carbonated soft drink would usually be called a soda, even in Atlanta.

CycloneRanger on
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gladys Knight started a fried chicken and waffle restaurant. I forgot what it's called, but it's an important landmark.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
    edited July 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    Gladys Knight started a fried chicken and waffle restaurant. I forgot what it's called, but it's an important landmark.

It's name is highly original - Glady's and Ron's Chicken and Waffles.

Raekreu on
    edited July 2010
    Ohhh the Center for Puppetry Arts is pretty cool. I don't think its on display, but they have an original Skeksis from The Dark Crystal hidden away.

Also you can try Mary Mac's Tea Room (http://www.marymacs.com/)

Taterskin on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You know, I've lived in GA my whole life, and I have never once heard anyone refer to soda's as 'Coke'. I've also worked in the restaurant business and as a bartender, so you think I'd hear it once.

Check out Little 5 Points and eat at the Vortex. It's a pretty safe area now, its almost all touristy. If you like comics and records, check out Criminal Records. It's also in Little Five, but sort of near the end of the shops area (totally worth the hike).

Also, about crime: maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never been a victim in Atlanta. Like any major city, just be aware of your surroundings and don't wander around in the dark alone. I mean, you're coming from Australia, which is the country where even the plants want to kill you. You'll be fine. :)

Mr Pink on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Another vote for the Vortex. The Highlander Bar is really good as well. My personal favorite, however, is Eats.

Stuff to do. World of Coke is actually pretty dang cool. The Turner tour is pretty cool. Get to check out CNN and some other stuff.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You simply MUST eat at the Vortex! The service can be a crapshot, but the food is always excellent.

As for Cultural things, Atlanta has a pretty good museum and an excellent aquarium (I've never been, i hear good things though).

Also, alot of famous people were born in Atlanta. One guy in paticular house turned into a museum after he died.

Maybe you've heard of him?

Edit: Oh and I would recomend you stay away from College Park. That IS a great place to get your ass beat. But L5P's and Midtown are both very, very safe.

Well, relatively speaking that is. I've never been mugged or anything.

Jokerman on
  • RennRenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the advice so far

To answer some questions: I'll be staying at near the Powers Ferry Shopping Centre. As far as I can tell, theres no way to get to the fun places using public transport from here. Definitely won't have a car (don't have a license) - so I'll have to figure something else out. How expensive would a cab to downtown be?

As for things I like - I'm not really a bar/club person. Museums are good - I'll definitely want to visit MLKs house.

Renn on
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aussie expat here. Atlanta is actually a pretty nice city - how long are you going to be here?

As for cellphones, get your hotel shuttle to run you to Walmart and pick up a cheapy Prepaid Cellphone. Will cost you about US$20 with minutes and coverage, in Atlanta at least, is pretty okay.

Off the top of my head:

World of Coke
    Georgia Aquarium
    The Vortex
    CNN Center
    Six Flags Over Georgia (The Goliath, that is all.)

If you're looking for a stripclub, try The Cheetah or The Pink Pony if you're actually looking to enjoy yourself. The Clermont Lounge is an experience but by no means for everyone.

The High Museum Of Art is fantastic, I got a membership shortly after moving here.

RisenPhoenix on
    edited July 2010
    About 3 weeks - But I'll be working Mondays - Fridays.

Renn on
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are you going by yourself? Who's going with you to visit places?

Black Ice on
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the advice so far

To answer some questions: I'll be staying at near the Powers Ferry Shopping Centre. As far as I can tell, theres no way to get to the fun places using public transport from here. Definitely won't have a car (don't have a license) - so I'll have to figure something else out. How expensive would a cab to downtown be?

As for things I like - I'm not really a bar/club person. Museums are good - I'll definitely want to visit MLKs house.

If you need transportation, I'd be willing to Chauffer you around for very cheap. I'm in desperate need of some work to pad out my bills until I can find something else.

Plus side is i know where everything is that's been posted in this thread.

Jokerman on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You should probably do that ^. From Powers Ferry you aren't going to be able to get anywhere without a ride. A cab into downtown would be pretty expensive.

If you're into gourmet beer, go to the Brick Store Pub in Decatur. For good barbeque (aka roasted meat), go to Swallow at the Hollow in Roswell. Dreamland sucks if anyone tells you to go there :P.

a5ehren on
    edited July 2010
    Turns out I'll be in a different location - And the hotel has a complimentary shuttle, so that should be good.

@Black Ice - I'll be going alone.

So on my list
    World of Coke
    Aquarium
    MLK House/Museum
    Center for Puppetry Arts
    The CNN Centre
    The various recommended restaurants/pubs

I'll probably take a pass on the Clairmont :)

Renn on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

You have chosen wisely and avoided several nightmares.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited July 2010
    Feel free to drop me a PM if you need any help. Atlanta's a great town but public transportation here is really shitty.

Mr. Pink can vouch that i'm not a neckbeard, or a rapist.

Jokerman on
    edited July 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Feel free to drop me a PM if you need any help. Atlanta's a great town but public transportation here is really shitty.

Mr. Pink can vouch that i'm not a neckbeard, or a rapist.

Thanks for the offer - I might take you up on that.

Renn on
  • PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you're a musem type person, check out the Citypass. It gets you into the Aquarium, World of Coke, the High Musem, the zoo, CNN, and Fernbank for $74, and you don't have to wait in long lines at any of the attractions. My wife and I bought one for a weekend trip and really enjoyed it. You save a ton of cash.

http://www.citypass.com/atlanta

PorkChopSandwiches on
    edited July 2010

Your loss. Where else can you see a sixty year old stripper dressed up like Little Red Riding Hood?

Taterskin on
    edited July 2010
    Taterskin wrote: »

Your loss. Where else can you see a sixty year old stripper dressed up like Little Red Riding Hood?

There's actualy a Burlesque show in Atlanta called Syrens of the south that has a rather bodacious girl doing a red riding hood themed dance.

Jokerman on
  • Bigtoy_JBigtoy_J Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Turns out I'll be in a different location - And the hotel has a complimentary shuttle, so that should be good.

So on my list
    World of Coke
    Aquarium
    MLK House/Museum
    Center for Puppetry Arts
    The CNN Centre

I personally would avoid the World of Coke. The museum portion was OK, but even that is part of a huge Coke advertisement. I considered my visit a waste of time.

Bigtoy_J on
    Love George Bernard Shaw quotations.

Also, I can count to "boat".
  • Holy SmokeHoly Smoke Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lived around Atlanta all my life, actually moving to midtown after I get married this Saturday. One thing noboody has mentioned, but use your inherent Aussie powers to wow everyone around you. Southern girls go NUTS for a guy with an Australian accent and there are beautiful girls in Atlanta constantly from the surrounding universities: Georgia State, University of Georgia and Kennesaw State. Just act cool and Australian and their clothes will literally disintegrate (disregard if you aren't single).

I'm gonna second Six Flags as a great way to spend a day, though beware of huge (30 min - 1 hr) lines for EACH ride. There is a fast pass type deal that is extra, and worth the money in my opinion (expense that shit). The Vortex is a great place to get an amazing burger, which is what America is all about but keep in mind there are actually 2 locations, one in midtown and one in Little 5 Points. I recommend Little 5, then you can walk south a block to The Porter which is a fantastic English style pub so its laid back and has a great selection of beers. The Brick Store is another pub to check out for insane beer selection (their menu is leather bound and massive) which is in Decatur, about 15 min east of midtown.

There is a place in Virginia Highlands called Ten High, which is basically the basement of the Darkhorse Tavern that does heavy metal/rock karaoke that they call Metalsome on Monday, Friday and Saturday nights. It's a TON of fun if you're into that kind of thing and not afraid to look a little silly, but the crowd gets really into it if you are willing to put on a bit of a performance and just go nuts.

Check out a Braves game while you're here too. Even if you don't give a shit about baseball, Turner Field is a great sports stadium, and getting drunk and harassing the opposing team's outfielders is about as good as it gets. There's a reason it's America's favorite passtime!

Holy Smoke on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

So on my list
    World of Coke
    Aquarium
    MLK House/Museum
    Center for Puppetry Arts
    The CNN Centre

One caveat about that list. The Center for Puppetry arts has some cool things, but unless you're seeing an actual show, then the museum isn't all that big and it won't take too long to be done with it.

The plus side is that it's within walking distance to the High Museum of Art.

Also, I keep forgetting that sometimes, they have Exhibits at Atlantic Station. I'll see what they have currently and link it.

Well, it looks like they have the same 2 as always. Dialogue in the Dark and Bodies
    http://www.atlanticstation.com/dialog-in-the-dark.php
    http://www.atlanticstation.com/bodies-the-exhibition.php

From what I understand, the bodies exhibit is smaller than the ones in other cities when it used to travel. It's kind of neat, but in the end of the day it's just an anatomy lesson and you can get one of those at the Clairmont!

I've heard good things about Dialogue in the Dark. It supposedly recreates the experience of being blind. However, I haven't experienced it firsthand.

Niceguy Myeye on