As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PTA] Decapitation and Dismemberment versions, available now

MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Critical Failures
ThePokemonProf.png

Hello, and welcome to the world of POKéMON. My name is PROF. OAK. People call me the POKéMON PROF.

This world of ours is inhabited by many interesting and special creatures called POKéMON. POKéMON mean different thing to different people.

To some they are pets...
PokemonPets.png

To others they are friends...
PokemonFriends.png

But to many, they are our allies and protectors.
PokemonProtectors.png

The world of POKéMON is a dangerous place. Powerful and inscrutable monsters lurk in every forest, lake, and section of tall grass. Compared to POKéMON, many humans like you and me don't stand a chance.
DangerousPokemon.png

Luckily, we can count on our own POKéMON to help us. They fight on our behalf, and in return we lead them to victory, and train them to become stronger. It's a beneficial arrangement for the both of us!

While many people are content to stay in cities and towns, where they can keep safe from the POKéMON that roam the wild, others venture out into this wilderness, in search of fame, fortune, or knowledge.

We call these brave individuals POKéMON TRAINERS. They team up with friendly POKéMON to explore the dangerous areas of the world, risking life and limb in pursuit of their goals. Many admire these courageous people, and the POKéMON that accompany them in their journeys.

So, tell me, do you think you have what it takes to be a POKéMON TRAINER?

- Players - Link to Post

[Group Alpha] - Link to Chronicles

Renting a room in Pewter, the day before the grand opening of the fossils and prehistoric pokemon wing of the Pewter Museum of Science. What adventures await them?

AbysmalLynx - Douglas and his Bulbasaur, Belmont
BugBoy - Shawn and his Spinarak, Spade
Kay - Al and his Buizel, Volnoy
Squall - Dayton and his Gastly, Gondorff
Tommy2Hands - Alex and his Lotad, 808B6

[Group Beta] - Link to Chronicles

Making their way through the rugged and dark Viridian Forest, will they be able to survive the night in this harsh environment?

alternatingAberration - Zane and his sandshrew, Wrecker!
bratr - Ralph and his Pidgey, Maximum Ride
Fiaryn - Will and his Duskull, Morte
Terrendos - Pyrrhus and his Growlithe, Cave Canem

Main Rules
Meet the Classes
Main Features List
Extra Class/Advanced Features List
Items List
Pokemon Abilities List
Pokemon Capabilities List
Pokemon Moves List

What is this?

This is a play by post game taking place in a slightly modified Pokémon universe, starring a group of novice Pokémon trainers that could include Ace Trainers, young Researchers, capable Pokémon Rangers, and more. I'm looking for about 4-5 people but a few less or more won't be out of sorts. The game will be using the Pokémon Tabletop Adventures system.

Wait, what is the Pokémon Tabletop Adventures system?

Good question! The PTA system is a roleplaying game in development by a fella who goes by Dr. Mr. Stark. It is currently in Alpha testing but is rapidly approaching a Beta release. I believe the rules are currently intact enough to run a game. It should be fun!

Where can I find these rules?

Though not exactly widely distributed, you can find a download of most of the raw rules as word documents here and a short summary with more links here. Be warned that they are very disorganized, and you actually won't need these to play in this game. in fact, I recommend you don't download these rules.

Why's that?

Because they are so disorganized, it's very easy to get confused on how things are supposed to work. So I compiled everything I think you'll need to make a character and play in these three google docs.

URL="http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ATDMLzqvTPhXZGNyeGM3amdfNTQ1OGpidnF0dg&hl=en&authkey=CN_gmYQD"]1[/URL URL="http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ATDMLzqvTPhXZGNyeGM3amdfNTVoYzk4d2hnYw&hl=en&authkey=COmQx9AB"]2[/URL URL="http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ATDMLzqvTPhXZGNyeGM3amdfNTZqaHQ5M21kcw&hl=en&authkey=CJLU7qMC"]3[/URL

Okay, I just read those, seems interesting but still a bit confusing.

Tell me about it, I tried to make things simple but if you still have problems go ahead and ask them and I'll try and figure out the answer as best I can.

So what do I need to do if I'm interested in playing?

You'll need a level 1 character made using the rules found in the first google doc up there, a bit of backstory, and the ability to make an in-character post in this thread about once per day, or more if you feel like it! I'm not going to put many limits on how you make your character, feel free to be creative. Submit that character in this thread (in a spoiler if it runs long) and I'll take a look and tell you what I think.

Also, you should include a small write-up for your starting (and only at this point) pokémon. This is the first Pokémon you ever got, either from a professor, an older sibling, or by catching it yourself (you brave brave person, you). Don't worry about statting your starter up, we'll work on that later, until then a short bit about how you got them and what they are like will suffice.

Here's some suggested starters, organized by region of origin. Feel free to get a pokemon from a different region, or even a pokemon not listed here, but be ready to justify it (and if that pokemon is a gabite, that justification better be fantastic).

Kanto
Bulbasaur
Squirtle
Charmander
Pichu
Geodude
Machop
Abra
Pidgey
Caterpie
Gastly

Jhoto

Chikorita
Cyndaquil
Totodile
Zubat
Mareep
Oddish
Poliwag
Swinub
Tyrogue
Wynaut

Hoenn

Treecko
Mudkip
Torchic
Wurmple
Lotad
Seedot
Ralts
Slakoth
Azurill
Spheal

Sinnoh
Turtwig
Chimchar
Piplup
Elekid
Magby
Magnimite
Shinx
Porygon
Togepi
Duskull

Will there be battling, capturing, move tutors, etc, etc.

Certainly, the system has rules for pretty much everything you'd expect to be able to do in a Pokémon game, and quite a few things you wouldn't expect. Just do what you think your Trainer should be able to and I'll figure out the rules and make the rolls for you.

Can I know more about the setting?

Absolutely! This game will be taking place in the Kanto region, three years after Red became champion (those of you familiar might recognize this as around the same time the Gold/Silver and Diamond/Pearl games took place). The characters will be novice pokémon trainers beginning their journey in Pewter city, shortly before a big event is supposed to take place at the Pewter Museum.

For those familiar with the Pokémon franchise, the style of this game will be more similar to the manga then the anime or the games. For those not familiar, this means the game will have a slightly darker tone then you might expect. Going into the wild without at least one Pokémon (and preferably a few allies with Pokémon of their own) is very, very dangerous. Pokémon are intelligent, territorial, and determined creatures. You could get badly hurt, or worse, when they try to scare you away from where they live.

This is a kinda long OP...

Yeah, I tend to do that on occassion. I'll wrap things up and if you have anymore questions I'll just have to answer them in another post. Here's some final info for you if you've just been skimming along so far. Here's some lovely descriptions for the character classes you can pick.

Marshmallow on

• SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Name: Dayton Clark
    Level: 1

STR 8 [-1]
    DEX 8 [-1]
    CON 12 [+1]
    INT 15 [+2]
    WIS 14 [+2]
    CHA 8 [-1]

Base Class: Researcher

Features:
    Frantic Research
    Daily – Every 5 levels gained, you may perform this Class Feature another time per day.
    Target: Any pokemon.
    Effect: Roll d20 and add your INT and WIS modifiers to the roll [+4]. If you roll higher then 15, you learn what level the pokemon is.
    Walking Encyclopedia
    Static
    Target: Anything related to knowledge you are allowed to look up.
    Effect: You know pokemon data, relating to pokemon in your pokedex, about move sets, type, type advantage, evolution methods, abilities, height, weight, and location. You have access to all information a pokedex would grant, immediately.
    Blunt Weapons User
    Effect: The Trainer can use Maces, Bats, Clubs, Hammers, Morningstars, Staffs or anything else that would fit into the Blunt Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + WIS modifier.
    Pole Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Effect: The Trainer can use Spears, Poleaxes, Polehammers, Glaives, Halberd, Mauls, Pikes, or any other Weapon that would fit into the Pole Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + INT modifier.
    Throwing Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Effect: The Trainer can use Darts, Throwing Stars, Throwing Knives, Kunai, or any other Weapon that would fit into the Throwing Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d4 + INT modifier.

Starter Pokemon:
    Name: Gondorff
    Species: Gastly
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Levitate
    HP: 24/24

HP = 3
    ATK = 4
    DEF = 5 (1 Evade)
    SATK = 8
    SDEF = 5 (1 Evade)
    SPD = 10 (1 Evade)

Capabilities: Sky 4, Power 1, Intelligence 4, Invisibility, Phasing
    Moves: Hypnosis, Lick, Spite, Astonish

Description: A recent geology graduate with a knack for paleontology. On his way out to commence field work, hailing from Cinnabar Island where his grandad resides. Doesn't speak too loud, and is a bit frail, but equipped with a fair bit of resilience and a good intuition. The Gastly is a recent addition, little bugger started tagging along during the initial boat trip. The relationship is...strained.

Inventory:
    2000 P
    Pokeball (5)
    Greatball (1)
    Pokedex
    Rock Hammer
    Compass
    Map of Kanto
    Field Notebook
    Single Tent

Mechanical Stats:
    HP: 60/60
    Evasion: 0
    Perception: 2
    Persuasion: -1
    Dmg Bonus: 0
    Academics: 2

Pokemon he'd like to encounter:
    Kabuto
    Diglett
    Aerodactyl
    Omanyte
    Drifloon
    Rotom
    Snorunt
    Nicada
    Cubone
    Wooper
    Sandshrew
    Shellder

dates.gif

Squall on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Good to hear, if you need any help with mechanics or whether something would work well with the game, just ask. Alternately I've got my IM info in my profile.

Edit: Also, planning on recruiting for about a week, give people time to get used to the system and post a character at their leisure. Might start earlier if the thread slows down a lot to kickstart things. If that's the case I'll definitely allow more people to join mid-game if they like.

Marshmallow on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh fuck yes I am getting in on this

Name- Sara Draggin
    Age- 19
    Gender- Female

Strength- 6 (-2)
    Dexterity- 5 (-2)
    Constitution- 6 (-2)
    Intelligence- 12 (+1)
    Wisdom- 19 (+4)
    Charisma- 17 (+3)

HP 30
    Evasion Bonus 0
    Perception +4
    Persuasion +3
    Damage Bonus 0
    Academics 1

Base Class: Breeder

Features:
    Breeder – Class Feature
    Prerequisites: 13 CHA, 13 WIS
    Key Abilities: +1 CHA +1 WIS
    Negligent Ability -2 DEX
    Class Features: Egg Factory, Natural Edge

Egg Factory: Breeder Feature
    Static
    Target: Eggs in the possession of the Breeder.
    Effect: You may make up to 7 different Breeding Checks per day; the check for Breeding is 35 instead of 25; and when making Breeding Checks, your rolls are not penalized if your Pokemon spend less then 12 hours together. Your Pokemon must still have at least 8 hours together.

Natural Edge: Breeder Feature
    Daily
    Target: A hatching egg.
    Effect: Add half of your CHA modifier to any of the pokemon’s base stat and add half of your WIS modifier to any different base stat of the same pokemon. This becomes your pokemon’s new base stats.

Short Blade Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: Breeder or Coordinator or Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 16 CHA
    Effect: The Trainer can use Knives, Daggers, a bladed weapon less than a foot long or any other Weapon that would fit into the Short Blade Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + CHA modifier.

Short Blade Weapons Proficiency: Arms Feature
    Prerequisites: Short Blade Weapons User
    Effect: The Trainer can use Knives, Daggers, a bladed weapon less than a foot long or any other Weapon that would fit into the Short Blade Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d8 + CHA modifier.

Short Blade Weapons Master: Arms Feature
    Prerequisites: Short Blade Weapons Proficiency
    Effect: The Trainer can use Knives, Daggers, a bladed weapon less than a foot long or any other Weapon that would fit into the Short Blade Weapons category. These weapons deal 2d8 + CHA modifier.

Starter Pokemon:
    Name: Lotad
    Species: Lotad
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Rain Dish
    Moves: Leech Seed (egg move), Astonish, Growl

Description:
    Second child, and only daughter, of the prestigious Draggin clan, Sara had never really been loved by her family. Her big brother Lance always got the attention and love she so desperately desired from her parents, always grabbing the spotlight. Oh, she got an A in school? Well Lance got a degree in Biochemistry with a double major in Dragonite Culture! Oh, she made a sweater for Mom and Dad's anniversary? Well Lance got his Garchomp to whip up a sand statue in testament to their everlasting love, preserved for eons! Sara caught a Pidgey? Well Lance wrangled a Zapdos with only his grit, determination, and his iron pokeballs! Fuck Lance. Fuck Lance.

Not like...Brock. <3 The dreamiest of all the Kanto gym leaders, Sara developed a crush on Brock ever since seeing him with that weird Ash kid on TV at the Kanto League finals. Sara quickly developed an obsession with Brock after seeing the video, quickly perusing any and all available media about him. After reading a short story about that Ketchum guy (seriously, who the fuck is this guy and why does everyone care about his goddamn Pikachu?), she read a short blurb jammed at the very end, almost as an afterthought:

"Ash Ketchum is joined by his two friends Misty and Brock, the former the gym leader of Cerulean City and the latter the gym leader of Pewter City and aspiring Pokemon breeder."

Pewter City? Pokemon Breeder?!

Inset was a picture of Brock with his Lotad. Oh my god. Sara knew what she had to do. Ready and raring to go hop on the next ship from Hoenn to Kanto, she quickly made preparations to leave. But wait! She had to make a good impression on Brock. Well, Brock likes breeding...and he has a Lotad...Sara quickly made the connection. She had to breed the best goddamn Lotad EVER to show off to Brock.

Sara quickly perused any and all available media on breeding that she could. She logged onto the Bulbapedia network, learned all about Egg Moves and groups and Natures and such, and after a few short weeks felt sufficiently knowledgable to breed pokes with success. Her first breeding project: a Lotad with Leech Seed.

Lance offered to simply give her one, but Sara didn't need his fucking charity. She didn't get why he always tried to be buddy-buddy with her. Fucking parents' favorite, firstborn, we fucking get it ALL HAIL LANCE fuck that guy. Fucking Lance, his friendly face was all just a charade, an act to put on for the others. Why didn't anyone else GET IT? Why did only she see through his lies? Was she in a world populated by idiots? Maybe he was threatened. Yeah, that's it. He was threatened because he's the best trainer ever (never mind that he got beat by someone with a name that's a COLOR-ooh I bet that stung didn't it Lance fuck you) and now Sara was gonna get some spotlight for once. Well fuck you Lance [strike]I'm[/strike] Sara's gonna be the best Breeder ever! Then Brock will love [strike]me[/strike] her and they'll live happily ever after. You'll see. You'll see.

The first attempts at breeding did not go well. The creations were monstrous- just gnarled hooves and eyes begging for death. Sara nearly broke down in tears- everything was going wrong. So wrong. She'd never make a Lotad, and Brock would hate her and she'd never leave, eternally in Lance's shadow. Fucking Lance.

How could her family have all this money from those trainers who lost to Lance's three Dragonites and couldn't give her enough to make a fucking Lotad with goddamn Leech Seed. Everyone around her is an incompetent! Not like Brock. Brock would be able to breed a Lotad with Leech Seed no sweat, after benching 300 pounds and knocking back a forty of course. ~Brock~

Then, when all hope seemed lost, Lance brought his friend Blue (what the fuck is up with these color names?) and his male Venusaur. Maybe Lance wasn't such a douche after all, she mused. Nah. Probably some ulterior motive behind this too. Fucking Lance. Of course, she played her role too- as the loving sister awed by her big bro's kindness. But behind the mask of friendliness she schemed of ways to show Lance who the real talented sibling was. He'd see. They'd all see.

With Blue's Venusaur, in addition to an Everstone provided by the Draggin estate, she quickly bred her Calm Lotad with Leech Seed. It was the happiest day of Sara's life.

Leaving the Draggin estate, she quickly set out to prove herself to her idol Brock, quickly hopping a ship to Kanto and a bus to Pewter with only her Lotad, five pokeballs, a great ball, her everstone, and her fanatic drive. She'd show them. She'd show them all.

Appearance:
    Black, shoulder length hair, kind face, yet with a glint of...something...behind her eyes. Almost as if she's thinking something entirely different than what she's saying. Very friendly and likable. Very attractive, although wears a lot of very expensive makeup to accentuate her facial features. Wearing a very expensive outfit- 5,000 Pdollar jeans, A denim jacket with a bright colored long-sleeve shirt underneath, cute glasses (the glasses are unnecessary, she can see just fine). Carrying the latest pokegear, the iCatch 4G, adorned with fake rhinestones.

Pokemon Sara'd like to meet:
    Chansey
    Gible
    Spiritomb
    Sableye
    Eevee

Inventory:
    Sleeping bag
    5 Pokeballs
    1 Great Ball
    iCatch 4G
    Knife
    Everstone (can I list this? I'll take a hit and have no money in exchange. If not, no worries)

Rent on
  • bratrbratr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pokemon Ranger

Ralph Colton
    Class: Ranger

Stats(after class score adjustments)
    STR 8 [-1]
    DEX 17 [+3]
    CON 7 [-2]
    INT 8 [-1]
    WIS 10 [0]
    CHA 16 [+3]

Other Stats:
    HP: 35
    Evasion Bonus: 3
    Perception: 0
    Persuasion: 2
    Damage Bonus: 0
    Academics: 0

Features:
    Ranger – Class Feature
    Prerequisites: 13 CHA, 13 DEX
    Key Abilities: +1 CHA +1 DEX
    Negligent Ability: -2 CON
    Class Features: Companion, Befriend

Bow User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: Ranger
    Prerequisites: 17 DEX
    Effect: The Trainer can use Bow and Arrows or any other Weapon that would fit into the Bow category. These weapons deal 1d8 + DEX modifier.

Gifted
    Prerequisites: 14 DEX or 14 INT
    Effect: The Trainer can use Darts, Throwing Stars, Throwing Knives, Kunai, or any other Weapon that would fit into the Throwing Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d4 + INT modifier.

Slingshot User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: DEX 11
    Effect: The Trainer can use Slingshots. These weapons deal 1d2 + DEX modifier.

Description:
    Ralph has been among wild pokemon for as long as he can remember. His father is a park ranger at the Kanto Safari Zone. His father has sent Ralph to visit Pewter in order to see more of the world; the civilised half. Ralph hopes to become the Safari Zone Warden; more secretly he dreams of becoming rich and opening his Safari Zone where more exotic and endangered pokemon can live protected but free lives.

A bit of a sore point with Ralph is that he caught his pidgey, Maximum Ride or Max, using a pokeball. Ralph had been only 9 and found a pokeball in the park. He had lured the pidgey out of its nest, it was only a few weeks old, and caught it in the pokeball. Ralph's father had had a stern talk with Ralph when he found out, and made Ralph promise to take care of it more carefully than he did himself.

It wasn't that pokeballs were taboo, it was the underhanded method that bothered Ralph's father. Ralph's family believe a pokemon should be befriended and then it will let itself be caught, willingly.

Personality:
    A bit dull sometimes, he is incredibly cheerful and dependable. He is quick when he needs to be but enjoys taking lots of breaks of journey's as his stamina is lacking. It takes quite a bit to make him loose his cool, and even when he does it has more bark then bite

He enjoys talking and meeting with people but most of all he likes spending time with pokemon in the wild.

Appearance:
    Dressed in a green Ranger outfit. Clothing is broken in and fit comforable on Ralphs skinny form. At 6' tall he is easily taller than most other trainers. He has dark hair and warm brown eyes. He wears dark Brown boots.

Like this but with dark hair, brown eyes, and a green hat.

Starter Pokemon:

Maximum Ride - F Pidgey
    Neutral, Keen Eye, 27/27

HP = 4 + 0 = 4
    ATK = 5 + 1 = 6
    DEF = 4 + 1 = 5 (1 Evade)
    SATK = 4 + 1 = 5
    SDEF = 4 + 1 = 5 (1 Evade)
    SPD = 6 + 2 = 8

Capabilities: Overland 2, Surface 1, Sky 3, Jump 3, Power 1, Intelligence 4
    Moves: Tackle, Sand Attack, Foresight

Description:

Very protective of Ralph, Ralph and Maximum have a friendship so strong that they would give their lives for each other.

Habits: Will fly off a distance, scouting around, sometimes hunting for berries and bug pokemon, but always stays within earshot and often stays close enough so that her keen eyes can keep an eye on her trainer, he can be a bit dull after all and has a tendency to take too many breaks.

Inventory:
    Pokegear
    Capture Styler
    5 Pokeballs
    1 Greatball
    2000 PC
    Camping Gear / Survival Kit
    A slingshot

Green Ranger Hat

Pokemon I'd like to meet:
    Rapidash
    Snorelax
    Pocheyena
    Totadile
    Dewgong
    Seadra
    Dragonite
    Drapion

bratr on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This looks really cool. It is, however, a travesty that Growlithe is not a suggested starter Pokemon.

EDIT:

Name: Pyrrhus Faraday

STR 10 (+0)
    DEX 14 (+2)
    CON 10 (+0)
    INT 17 (+3)
    WIS 6 (-2)
    CHA 8 (-1)

Hit Points (HP) = 50
    Evasion Bonus = 2
    Perception = -2
    Persuasion = -1
    Damage Bonus = 0
    Academics = 3

Base Class: Capture Specialist

Features:
    Poke Ball Repair: Capture Specialist Feature
    Daily – Every 5 levels gained, you may perform this Class Feature another time per day.
    Target: Any Poke Ball that has failed to capture a pokemon and broke.
    Effect: Roll d20 and add your DEX and INT modifiers to the roll. If the total exceeds 15, the Poke Ball is fixed and is treated as if it had not broken.

Capture Point: Capture Specialist Feature
    Static
    Trigger: You throw a Poke Ball.
    Effect: Subtract either half of your DEX modifier or half of your INT modifier from your d100 rolls when throwing any Poke Ball.

Blunt Weapons User
    Effect: The Trainer can use Maces, Bats, Clubs, Hammers, Morningstars, Staffs or anything else that would fit into the Blunt Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + WIS modifier.

Effect: The Trainer can use Spears, Poleaxes, Polehammers, Glaives, Halberd, Mauls, Pikes, or any other Weapon that would fit into the Pole Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + INT modifier.

Character Description:
    Pyrrhus always had a knack for mechanical things, and he loved them almost as much as he loved his best friend Growlithe. His parents got him the Growlithe for his protection after getting beaten up after school so many times, and the puppy took his job to heart. After Biting off one bully's pants and setting another's on fire, the older kids left him alone. He would shout "Cave Canem!" or "Beware of the Dog!" in Latin as the bullies fled, and the dog eventually took that as its name.

Pyrrhus took apart his first Poke Ball just to see how it worked, and spent hours studying it and practicing his ball throwing technique. He turned it into a game of fetch, and Cave Canem was most happy to oblige. Pyrrhus grew to admire the skill of the distant Hoenn Champion Steven Stone, son of the Devon Corp. president, scientist, inventor, lady's man and all around amazing guy. It is his hope that by going on an adventure, he might find inspiration for a billion-Pokedollar idea to bring to Steven Stone and get brought on as his assistant.

He tries to emulate Steven Stone, both in personality as a kind and helpful person, and as a brilliant and clever inventor and an ally of rare and terrifying Pokemon. He also wears suits like Steven, but he has to hang them up before he goes to bed so they don't wrinkle. Although a citizen of Saffron, he heard a rumor that Steven would be at the big event in Pewter City and got on the first bus out of town, leaving his parents with only a note.

Starter Pokemon:
    Cave Canem
    Species: Growlithe
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Intimidate

Pokemon Description:
    Cave Canem has been Pyrrhus's guardian for over 6 years. Like all individuals of its species, it remains fiercely loyal to Pyrrhus. He was one of a litter of over a dozen, and wants to prove himself as the toughest Growlithe that ever there was. He likes training to songs like "Eye of the Tiger" and "Live to Win" and spicy food, but he hates people that act all smug and superior. He also has a very low tolerance for people who aren't very smart and will not hesitate to set stupid people on fire.

Inventory:
    P$1000
    3 Poke Balls
    1 Great Ball
    PokeGear
    Poke Ball Tool Box
    Hammock (with Rain Fly)
    Spear

Pokemon He Likes:
    Aron
    Turtwig
    Bronzor
    Magnemite
    Swinub
    Starly
    Krabby
    Ralts
    More later I guess

Terrendos on
    edited July 2010
    Keep remembering stuff I probably should've put in the OP but whatever.

Your character needn't live in Pewter City, the Museum event is a BIG event which has drawn trainers from all over (you'll find out why :D). It's pretty possible the starting characters have traveled from another town, or even region, despite their low level. Possible reasons you know the other characters in the group include having to share a room in the city due to the lack of space with all the visitors, traveling with them from a nearby city (safety in numbers), or similar.

Your starter can be a recent acquisition, a very old friend, or anywhere in between. They'll be one of the Pokemon that I as GM have no control over. Any wild pokemon you catch will be subject to loyalty, ie. you treat them like crap, they won't listen to you. Your starter is always under your direct control. This doesn't mean they have to like you though, it's perfectly fine to have an antagonistic relationship with your starter, it'll just be you who does the actions, not me.
    Terrendos wrote: »
    This looks really cool. It is, however, a travesty that Growlithe is not a suggested starter Pokemon.

Well, he's only got one evolution, and that requires a stone to get to, typically, so it's not the most user-friendly choice. I would have no problem with a growlithe starter though.

Something players might consider is including a list of 5 more pokemon that would make a "dream team" for them. I'll try and make sure those pokemon show up for capture at some point in the game.

Marshmallow on
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Reserving the post

Thinking about trying a Psychic

BugBoy on
    edited July 2010
    got my character up, first researcher!

Squall on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    will make a character for this tonight

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Question Marsh- can we rename our pokes upon evolution

Rent on
    edited July 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Question Marsh- can we rename our pokes upon evolution

I don't see any reason why not.

Also, on the off chance I get more people then I feel comfortable running a game for, I'll be judging submissions on quality first, how well the character will fit the game, how interesting it is, so on.

So basically, take your time, ask questions, put some thought into it, and give me a fantastic character. Don't worry about being first or reserving posts.

Also I see Squall has his character already, I'll take a look at it.

Marshmallow on
    edited July 2010
    Calling Lotad so hard

e: this is joke, please do not think that this means you cannot pick this character

Two Hands inc has no direct nor indirect relationship with Marsh & Co.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Name: Chad Habusa

STR: 16 (+3)
    DEX: 14 (+2)
    CON: 13 (+1)
    INT: 7 (-2)
    WIS: 8 (-1)
    CHA: 7 (-2)

HP: 90
    Evasion Bonus: +2
    Perception: -1
    Persuasion: -2
    Damage Bonus: +3
    Academics: -2

Base Class: Martial Artist

Features:
    Martial Artist – Class Feature
    Prerequisites: 13 STR, 13 DEX
    Key Abilities: +1 STR +1 DEX
    Negligent Ability: -2 INT
    Class Features: Improved Combat, Improved Endurance

Improved Combat: Martial Artist Feature
    At-Will
    Trigger: You hit a foe with an attack.
    Effect: Add your STR and DEX modifiers to the damage you deal as a Trainer.

Improved Endurance: Martial Artist Feature
    Static
    Target: Your HP value.
    Effect: Add your STR and DEX modifiers and multiply the total by 5 HP. Add this to your HP total.

Blade Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Effect: The Trainer can use Swords of any kind, Short Swords of any kind, Two-Handed Swords of any kind, Sickles, Axes, Scythes and any bladed weapon between the length of 1 to 5 feet, and anything else that would fit into the Blade Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d8 + STR modifier.

Blunt Weapons User: Arms Feature

Chain Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Effect: The Trainer can use Whips, Bolas, Nunchaku, Chain Whips, Meteor Hammers, Kunai and Chain, Flails or any other Weapon that would fit into the Chain Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + CON modifier.

Fist Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Effect: The Trainer can use Gauntlets, Brass Knuckles, Cestus, Tessen, Cat Claws, Fan, Katar, Chakrams, Tonfa and any other Weapon that would fit into the Fist Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d4 + STR modifier.

Short Blade Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Effect: The Trainer can use Knives, Daggers, a bladed weapon less than a foot long or any other Weapon that would fit into the Short Blade Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + CHA modifier.

Starter Pokemon:
    Name: Gabriel
    Species: Chimchar
    Nature: Hasty
    Ability: Blaze

Description:
    Not much is known about the man known as Chad Habusa. Some say he is a martial-arts master hailing from the frozen reaches of the North. Others say he helped carve out the caves that make up Iron Island. Few, though, believe the story he continues to give: that he is a simple wanderer on a journey to see the world.
    What is known is that Mr. Habusa is an expert in multiple types of weaponry, though he prefers to use his fists. He is also a patient man, willing to let his opponents make the first move in any contest, before retaliating quickly and without mercy. It is because of the lethal force behind his blows that he insists on wearing padded gloves during every contest.
    The roaming master of the North carries little in the way of possessions, only keeping a letter to remind him of the life he had sworn to protect, no matter the cost.

Beware the north wind…
    Inventory:
    2000 P
    Pokeball (5)
    Greatball (1)
    Poketech
    Padded Gloves
    Letter of Importance
    Sleeping Bag

Pokemon I'd Like to Meet:
    Machop
    Tyrouge
    Riolu
    Heracross
    Croagunk
    Poliwag
    Geodude
    Cubone

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    edited July 2010
    Think I'll apply as a Capture Specialist. I'll put my character in either this post or my earlier one.

Terrendos on
  • notsoynotsoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blarg lemme reserve a spot. I poke around on /tg/ a lot, so I'm familiar with the system

You state that our starter is the one mon we have the highest amount of control over

So, for example, if I wanted to roll a trainer from a family-owned breeding ranch chain that got a Dragon Dance/Outrage Larvitar as a 18th birthday present (or some other breeding project "extra", like an X-Scissor/Night Slash Nincada, a Spore/Seed Bomb Shroomish, etc.)

Would that work?

For that matter, how exactly do stat-ups work? Is it similar to most d20 systems where you get a fixed amount of stat-ups upon level-up and assign them to your stats (in this case, in accordance with the Base Stat Relation)?

notsoy on
    Soul Silver FC: 1978 3200 2285
    GT: HitoriLionheart or dailydro
  • JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Haven't been around in a while but this hit me in the right mood. Finish the rest later.

Hero Azo

ABILITIES

STR 14 [1]
    DEX 10 [+1]
    CON 14 [+2]
    INT 10 [0]
    WIS 8 [-1]
    CHA 9 [0]
    HP 60/60
    Evasion Bonus 1
    Perception -1
    Persuasion 0
    Damage Bonus 1
    Academics 0

Ace Trainer

Features:
    Ace Trainer – Class Feature
    Prerequisites: 13 STR, 13 CON
    Key Abilities: +1 STR +1 CON
    Negligent Ability: -2 WIS
    Ace Trainer Features: Enhanced Training, Improved Attacks

Enhanced Training: Ace Trainer Feature
    Static
    Trigger: Your pokemon gains experience points.
    Effect: Each of your pokemon gains 1.2x the amount of experience they would gain normally. This replaces the amount of experience they would normally gain.

Improved Attacks: Ace Trainer Feature
    Static
    Trigger: Your pokemon’s damage dealing attack hits.
    Effect: When adding up damage dealt to the foe, add either half of your STR modifier or half of your CON modifier before your foes subtracts their defense or special defense from the attack.

Gifted To: Ace Trainer or Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 14 STR
    Effect: The Trainer can use Gauntlets, Brass Knuckles, Cestus, Tessen, Cat Claws, Fan, Katar, Chakrams, Tonfa and any other Weapon that would fit into the Fist Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d4 + STR modifier.

Gifted To: Ace Trainer or Ranger or Coordinator or Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 14 CON
    Effect: The Trainer can use Whips, Bolas, Nunchaku, Chain Whips, Meteor Hammers, Kunai and Chain, Flails or any other Weapon that would fit into the Chain Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + CON modifier.

Starter Pokemon:
    Name: Fuego
    Species: Charmander
    Nature: Sassy
    Ability: Blaze

Description:
    Hero grew up in Cerulean City, the son of a fisherman who gifted him his first Pokémon Horsea at the age of 12. Stalwart mates from the beginning, Hero and Horsea trained hard in hopes of one day taking the reigns of the Cerulean City gym. His best friend and rival for the position was the gym leader's daughter, another dedicated water trainer. By the time they'd become adults, Hero had developed feelings for her but his advances were spurned. After a few years of tenuous friendship, Hero had enough; traded his Horsea for a young Charmander, bought a Pokédex and left Cerulean for the first time.

Inventory:
    Pokédex
    5 Pokéballs
    1 Great ball
    4 Potions
    $1000

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Alright, looking at Squall's character.

Abilities are good, he started with 6s across the board and added 29 points (28 for level zero + 1 for level one)

Messed up a bit with his features, at level 1 you have only one feature, Squall chose 2, Researcher and Random Knowledge. Remember that class features count as a feature, you have to purchase them.

Also noticed you added an inventory, good initiative! If you think your character should have something (like a rock hammer for a geologist) go ahead and add it. As for pokeballs and pokedexes, I'll dole out an appropriate amount of those before we begin play.

Finally, Squall's character actually gets a few weapon features for free. Because of his Class, Researcher he gets Blunt Weapons User and Pole Arm user for free. Because he has an INT higher then 14 he also gets Throwing Weapons User.

Marshmallow on
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Almost done with my character.

Would a Spinarak be OK for my starter?

BugBoy on
    edited July 2010
    notsoy wrote: »
    Blarg lemme reserve a spot. I poke around on /tg/ a lot, so I'm familiar with the system

You state that our starter is the one mon we have the highest amount of control over

So, for example, if I wanted to roll a trainer from a family-owned breeding ranch chain that got a Dragon Dance/Outrage Larvitar as a 18th birthday present (or some other breeding project "extra", like an X-Scissor/Night Slash Nincada, a Spore/Seed Bomb Shroomish, etc.)

Would that work?

For that matter, how exactly do stat-ups work? Is it similar to most d20 systems where you get a fixed amount of stat-ups upon level-up and assign them to your stats (in this case, in accordance with the Base Stat Relation)?

I'm going to assume for the first part of your post that you're joking. I don't really want to encourage that kind of powergaming, even though this system has many, many opportunities for it. If you are looking up things on Smogon for this game you are doing something wrong.

For the stat ups, yes pretty much. Every time a pokemon levels they get one point to put in any stat that wouldn't mess up the base relation. ie. their highest stat will always be their highest stat no matter what, their lowest will always be lowest and all the ones in between will hold the same ranking.

Pretty much, when your pokemon levels I could save time by telling you which stats were available for boosting. People seem to just have too much trouble parsing the info.

Marshmallow on
    edited July 2010
    BugBoy wrote: »
    Almost done with my character.

Would a Spinarak be OK for my starter?

I suppose, it'll be a wee bit weak due to stats and movepool but you can finagle things to help him out with the proper features. Shouldn't be a major deterrent.

Marshmallow on
    edited July 2010
    notsoy wrote: »

Would that work?

oh my goodness

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Great!

I'm a bit confused about the Class Features. Does taking one raise and lower certain stats, or am I reading this wrong?

BugBoy on
    edited July 2010
    JacquesCousteau, you appear to have used 41 points for your character's abilities instead of 29.

Again, all your stats start at 6, you can raise them with 28+1 points at a one-for-one basis, to a max of 18.

So if you spent them on as few stats as possible you would end up with 18, 18, 6, 6, 6, 6

If you spread them out as much as possible you'd get 11, 11, 11, 11, 10, 10

Edit: Thank you, squall.

Marshmallow on
    edited July 2010
    yes, a base class raises two stats by one point, and lowers one stat by two points

advanced classes raise one stat by one point, but you don't have access to those yet

you can eventually have up to three class features, whether it be three base classes, two base classes and one advanced, or one base and two advanced.

Squall on
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Woah! Okay, finally got around to looking at this, is there still room?

Edit:
    SHAZAAM!

Zane Lewis
    Male
    5'9'' /White/ Brown Hair/ Blue eyes/
    Level 1

Str 16 (Modifier:+3)

Dex 11 (Modifier:+0)

Con 18 (Modifier:+4)

Int 6 (Modifier:-2)

Wis 6 (Modifier:-2)

Cha 8 (Modifier:-1)

HP: 90

Perception: -2

Damage Bonus: +2

Academics: -2

Features:
    Ace Trainer – Class Feature
    Prerequisites: 13 STR, 13 CON
    Key Abilities: +1 STR +1 CON
    Negligent Ability: -2 WIS
    Ace Trainer Features: Enhanced Training, Improved Attacks

Enhanced Training: Ace Trainer Feature
    Static
    Trigger: Your pokemon gains experience points.
    Effect: Each of your pokemon gains 1.2x the amount of experience they would gain normally. This replaces the amount of experience they would normally gain.

Improved Attacks: Ace Trainer Feature
    Static
    Trigger: Your pokemon’s damage dealing attack hits.
    Effect: When adding up damage dealt to the foe, add either half of your STR modifier or half of your CON modifier before your foes subtracts their defense or special defense from the attack.

Gifted To: Ace Trainer or Ranger or Coordinator or Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 14 CON
    Effect: The Trainer can use Whips, Bolas, Nunchaku, Chain Whips, Meteor Hammers, Kunai and Chain, Flails or any other Weapon that would fit into the Pole Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + CON modifier.

Gifted To: Ace Trainer or Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 14 STR

Gifted To: DEX 11

Description:
    Zane grew up in a quiet, normal town. His parents ran a poke'shop while he pretended to pay attention at school. It all seemed to pass by so fast, these quiet years, until he suddenly found himself thrust into the world. His parents gave him a pokedex, some food, and a few pokeballs.
    The food was the only useful thing he'd been given. He hadn't one damn clue about this poke'tech! He hadn't listened in school, and hadn't cared! And without a map, he was lost.

The first few months were pretty bad. He had bumbled into a nasty nest of Spearow and earned a hated enemy, nearly been eaten by a stalking Persian, and once spent an entire terrifying day paralyzed because of a dickish Oddish.

It ended there. Zane grabbed a stick, a vine, and a rock. With a bit of trial and error he had a workable flail. Soon it would be Zane stalking the poke'mon. Soon it would be Zane, who would eat Persian!

The first Poke'mon Zane came upon with his newfound strength and courage was a Sandshrew. Just as Zane was about to jump him, a Fearow dove out of the sky, attacking the little Sandshrew. Overwhelming hate for the giant bird, and a sense of empathy for the Sandshrew sent Zane screaming into the clearing wailing on the Fearow with his flail, the Sandshrew tackling and scratching right alongside him.

Later, while sharing roasted Fearow, the Sandshrew pulled a poke'ball out of Zane's pack, tapping it and trapping himself voluntarily. That day, Zane gained a valuable friend and ally. And also learned how to use a poke'ball.

Since then Zane and his Sandshrew "Wrecker" have found towns, learned how to use their equipment, and actually bought a real flail. They live by the idea that every person and poke'mon has an inner strength that can overcome any adversary. Zane's dream is to become a poke'mon master, using his buddy Wrecker to prove the world over that it's all about the will to win.

They wear war-paint in the form of a red Fearow facing downward (Painted on both of their bare backs.)
    Zane looks kind of wild. His hair is fairly short, but all over the place. He prefers not to wear a shirt, so he can show his strength and his awesome war-paint.
    He wears fingerless gloves, a pair of hiking boots, and gray pants. Around his neck is a green bandanna he wears in battle to keep the dust that Wrecker kicks up out of his mouth. And goggles to keep the sand out of his eyes.

He keeps all of his gear in a gray duffel-bag that's seen some wear and tear.

Starter Poke'mon:
    Wrecker!
    Species: Sandshrew
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Sand Veil

Inventory:
    Poke'dex
    5 poke'balls
    1 Great Ball
    Steel Flail
    Tent
    2 Potions
    WAR PAINT
    1500$P

Poke'mon I would like to meet:
    Kabuto
    Cubone
    Carvanha
    Shinx
    Scyther
    Meditite
    Onix

zaneandwrecker.jpg

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
    edited July 2010
    Woah! Okay, finally got around to looking at this, is there still room?

I'll be accepting as many applications as people care to submit, then pick the best of them, so yes.

Marshmallow on
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Niiice. Onward, then.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man this looks awesome

Speed Racer on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This looks so cool. I want to join. I'm totaly going to make a trainer, and my first Pokemon will be the first Pokemon.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2010
    sorry you can't start with Arceus

Squall on
    edited July 2010
    My character is in post #4. Pyrrhus Flynn, the Capture Specialist.

No idea what weapon proficiencies he starts with. Also I have a feeling that a notebook computer might be too expensive for him to start with, but he's a techie, and that's what I think a techie would bring in lieu of a map and compass. But I also don't know how much starting money he should have so there we go. Maybe he can afford five computers!

Also I assume basic necessities like a canteen, food, etc. needn't be on that list?

Terrendos on
    edited July 2010
    Shawn Geller
    Male
    Level 1

Stats
    Str 7(Modifier -2)
    Dex 10 (Modifier 0)
    Con 16(Modifier +3)
    Int 17 (Modifier +3)
    Wis 8(Modifier -1)
    Cha 7 (Modifier -2)

HP: 80
    Perception:-1
    Damage Bonus: -2
    Academics: 3

Features
    Psychic – Class Feature
    Prerequisites: 13 INT, 13 CON
    Key Abilities: +1 INT +1 CON
    Negligent Ability: -2 STR
    Class Features: Telepathy, Telekinesis

Gifted
    Prerequisites: 16 INT

Gifted
    Prerequisites: 14 DEX or 14 INT

Description :
    Shawn is a teenage psychic, originally from the Johto region. As a child, he found himself disliked and alone thanks to his shyness and inability to catch a pokemon for himself. One day, he noticed a group of other kids throwing stones at a small pokemon. That pokemon turned out to be a Spinarak, who had the misfortune of spinning a web too close to where the children played. Sensing the distress of the String Spit Pokemon, Shawn ran to its aid, manifesting his psychic powers for the first time to scare the other children off. In gratitude, the Spinarak decided to join him, becoming his first pokemon and friend. Some years later, Shawn set out for the Kanto region, where he hoped to become stronger and learn about his growing powers from one of the experienced psychics there.

Pokemon: Spade( Spinarak)
    Male
    Ability: Insomnia
    Nature: Jolly
    Spade is a happy-go-lucky little pokemon, often riding on his master’s head or shoulders. Unfortunately, the experiences he had back in Johto have left him somewhat afraid of other humans.

Inventory
    Pokedex
    Walkingstick
    Diary
    Pokeballs (5)
    Great balls (1)
    Nest Balls (2)
    400PS

Pokemon Shawn hopes to catch
    Staryu
    Spoink
    Exeggcute
    Drifloon
    Ralts
    Beldum
    Skorupi
    Houndour
    Mime Jr.
    Misdreavus

BugBoy on
    edited July 2010
    Your character looks perfect, Terrendos. A netbook computer is fine, plenty of trainers find carrying one around is worth the trouble, others prefer to just use their pokedex, pokegear, or (imported) Poketch.

Speaking of which, your character gets one of those for free, whichever you prefer. Also lets say 5 regular pokeballs and a Great ball. And I guess P$2,000 cash, why not. Here's a list of some items and their typical costs. Stuff like camping equipment, a normal weapon of a type (no guns in pokemon btw) you can use and anything your character could reasonably expected to have is free, don't make me regret that decision though.

Starting off with a poke ball tool box worth 2,500 P$ is a bit much but I'll allow it since your starting feature requires it. No worries.

Also very nice description of your pokemon. Everyone else you are absolutely free to define what gender, ability, and nature and so on for your starter. If you don't I'll try and pick something good for them.

Marshmallow on
    edited July 2010
    Looks good, Bugboy, cute pokemon you got there.

Marshmallow on
    edited July 2010
    I shorted myself a couple of Pokeballs and P$1000 in exchange for the Tool Box. I don't want to seem like I'm being greedy. And since the PokeGear accomplishes basically everything that I was thinking he'd need the computer for (GPS/maps and external communication) I just took that instead. I'll have him buy a Pokedex later.

Terrendos on
    edited July 2010
    Pokegear basically is a pokedex, it just has a built in phone.

Lemme see, pokedexes...

A lot of technology in the pokemon world takes advantage of wireless data transfer. Pokedexes (and related pokemon identification systems like poketchs and pokegears) use wireless technology to scan for and read pokemon energy signatures. Similar, more powerful systems are in place in pokecenters for transmitting a pokemon's data from place to place.

Pokedexes have become an immense part of the Trainer culture, after the initial testing conducted by Trainer Red such things have become relatively cheap, at least for the value they offer. By scanning a pokemon with their pokedex, a trainer can bring up a wealth of information on the creature. To be specific, they can access every note, comment, or statistic ever uploaded to the 'Dex system, from the research of the most highly regarded scientists to the lowest of School Boys. When a pokemon is captured it is also synced with the Pokedex, taking relevant data, assigning it an id in case of theft, and adding it to the database of caught pokemon.

Much to the delight of Trainers, these stats are carefully kept track of. Your pokedex can show how many pokemon you've seen, how many species you've captured, and much more. It's become common practice for Trainers to sync their Pokedexes, so they can compare their personal records and read any research the other has submitted. Trainers who have seen or captured a variety of species get a lot of kudos from their colleagues.

Marshmallow on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It might be because I fried my brain looking at these rules, but how much money do we start with? And how much do Pokedexes and such thing cost?

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is really tempting. I'll give it a read and see about putting a character together because...

To catch them all is my real test, TO TRAIN THEM IS MY CAAAUSE

I'm an enormous nerd.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited July 2010
    It might be because I fried my brain looking at these rules, but how much money do we start with? And how much do Pokedexes and such thing cost?

I am bad at organizing rules, basically, not your fault.

You get a free pokedex or pokedex analogue, 5 free pokeballs, 1 free greatball, and 2,000 P$

Other equipment, within reason is free, stuff like camping equipment, a serviceable weapon, tools related to your profession, etc. etc.

If you wanted to spend a bit, you can find a small items list here.

Marshmallow on
  • notsoynotsoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Name: Ken Starstrider

STR: 9 [-1]
    DEX: 8 [-1] (includes -2 Penalty associated with Breeder class)
    CON: 9 [-1]
    INT: 11 [0]
    WIS: 14 [+2] (includes +1 bonus associated with Breeder class)
    CHA: 14 [+2] (includes +1 bonus associated with Breeder class)

HP 45/45
    Evasion Bonus 0
    Perception 2
    Persuasion 2
    Damage Bonus 0
    Academics 0

Class: Breeder
    Feats:
    Natural Edge (Breeder starting feat)
    Egg Factory (Breeder starting feat)
    Blunt Weapons User (Breeder starting feat)
    Short Bladed Weapons User (Breeder starting feat)

Pokemon:
    Spore Man (Level 5 Male Jolly Shroomish) [starter]
    Ability: Poison Heal
    Moves: Spore (egg move), False Swipe (egg move), Absorb (beginning move), Tackle (leveling move)
    Stats:
    Base stats
    HP: 6 + 1 = 7
    Atk: 4 + 1 = 5
    Def: 6 + 1 = 7
    SpAtk: 2
    SpDef: 6
    Speed: 6 + 1 = 7
    Background:
    This Pokemon was actually Ken's first breeding project. His parents required that before he left, he would have to oversee a breeding project that would result in a baby with move(s) it would normally not learn through growth or the intervention of TMs. That he chose a more utility-focused project is a disappointment to his older brother Leroy, an accomplished trainer who is currently in Sinnoh. Leroy wanted Ken to breed a Dragon Dance Larvitar, but Ken decided to ignore Leroy, who had frequently bullied him in their younger days.
    Ironically, despite its youth (one month has passed since it hatched) and pleasant temperament, Spore Man is probably hardier than Ken, whose past life as a rich pretty-boy may have left him ill-prepared for a Pokemon Trainer journey.

Description:
    Second son (and third of five children) of the Starstrider estate, a family that established a chain of Pokemon ranches and daycares that span the Kanto and Johto continents (and are looking to expand into Hoenn and Sinnoh as well).
    His father, Roy, inherited the ranch and his ancestors' focus on making the ranches a haven for Pokemon who would be either uneasy during their separation from their trainers, recent catches upset with their lost freedom, or "gifts" from local police that had once been in the possession of unsavory types.
    His mother, Stacy, was the one who married into the family, having attracted his father's attention while working as a transactions specialist.
    {I have more about his siblings in a .doc file, I can PM that if anyone thinks they need to know}
    As of late, the Starstrider Ranch Company has had increasing difficulty in dealing with corruption and organized crime - in particular, mobsters looking to use the Starstrider Ranch to run breeding rings, or to "recover" their mooks' losses. Roy absolutely refuses to associate with shady types, but his antagonistic response to the initial offers has not sat entirely well with Stacy, Leroy, or youngest sister Hannah.
    As for Ken himself, he is kind, idealistic, insightful, and a natural speaker and negotiator. He left the family estate on the outskirts of Saffron City and took the first bus he encountered, a bus headed to Pewter City.
    Physically: tall, leansome, white hair, blue eyes. Not in such good shape, but he isn't emaciated or scrawny. Favors mild, pale colors for his clothes, and prefers wearing long pants and jackets/sweaters/coats in public.

Inventory:
    First Aid kit (should have stuff to help both Pokemon and humans, basic wound treatment/coverings)
    Rope (enough to descend a three-story building)
    Knife (general-use, possible weapon under Short Blade Weapons Proficiency)
    Sleeping Bag
    3000 Pokedollars (post-bus fare)
    Pokegear
    5 Poke Balls
    Sunglasses and fedora (for when he thinks hiding his appearance might be helpful)

Encounter Wishlist:
    Squirtle
    Larvitar
    Beldum
    Chinchou
    Togepi
    Nincada
    Riolu
    Chimchar
    Staryu
    or any of the evolved forms of the above
    Of course, that's just me. Ken is probably a nice enough guy to get along with just about anything.

notsoy on
    Soul Silver FC: 1978 3200 2285
    GT: HitoriLionheart or dailydro
This discussion has been closed.