As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Demon's Souls: The End (kinda)

• TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I just picked this game up, and I am enjoying the videos. Enough so that I will probably start playing with a halberd. This is probably as good as any thread to ask, but is it possible to completely gimp myself when I choose a starting character?

It doesn't completely gimp you, but picking the Barbarian is kinda rough. Picking classes other than the Knight, Temple Knight or Royal can be a little hard as well.

But cj iwakura is right, the classes are only the start, because this really is a classless game.

You can gimp yourself by over-leveling or distributing your stats inappropriately. The game doesn't level with you, but if you misspend your stats it could take tons and tons of souls to balance your character out properly (e.g. making a character SL 80 and have him be a glass cannon would be very hard to change out of).

EDIT: Vote for my next location if you haven't already!

Trynant on
  • RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aistan wrote: »
    This game actually looks really fun.

Too bad I haven't got a PS3.

What did you get for beating Vanguard? Just more souls? I couldn't hear that part.

You can forge the soul for a Dozer axe. Which is a decent heavy axe.

Roxtar on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am excited about this!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • cozy duckcozy duck Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Roxtar wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    This game actually looks really fun.

Too bad I haven't got a PS3.

What did you get for beating Vanguard? Just more souls? I couldn't hear that part.

You can forge the soul for a Dozer axe. Which is a decent heavy axe.

Well, there is another Vanguard in the game and you're more likely to already have killed that one before you unlock the weapon forging function, so that point is somewhat moot.
    Still, the extra souls and healing items are nice, although if you know the game well enough to kill Vanguard in the tutorial, you probably don't need them.

Also, a suggestion regarding the choice of future levels. You should give a brief overview of the themes in the specific worlds so people unfamiliar with the game can participate in the voting in a more meaningful manner. (On the other hand, if veterans only vote, you might end up suffering more, so that's a plus.)

cozy duck on
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I updated my OP with information on each of the levels and their difficulty, to give players a better idea of what's in store for me.
    There are five worlds in Demon's Souls, each with their own unique theme and level of difficulty.

World 1: Boletarian Palace
    A huge stone castle in the heart of the northern kingdom of Boletaria. Hungry soldiers whose souls have been stolen by demons attack trespassers, and terrible dragons nest there.
    Boletaria is a world populated mostly by human soldiers of varying equipment and capabilities.
    Most enemies use only Physical attacks, with some Flame attacks thrown in to keep you alert (fire sword dreglings, firebomb soldiers, Official's flame attacks, some exploding barrels, and, oh yes, DRAGONS). You will encounter no magic damage in the world, except from bosses.

This world is a giant castle, and you have to be 1-1 in order to open up the other worlds. Also, access to 1-3 is blocked until you beat the final boss of another world. Level 1-4 is probably the hardest area in the game and intended to be the last place you visit. Difficulty: 1-1 is necessary, 1-2 is easy, 1-3 is moderate, 1-4 is OMGWTF, HE TOOK MY LEVELS.

World 2: Stonefang Tunnels
    City of the burrowers, keepers of the huge tunnel. Most of the stubborn excavators who supported the soldiers of Boletaria had their souls taken. Lacking their own will, they mindlessly continue working.
    Stonefang is an easy world for planning equipment strategy since almost all the enemies have similar attacks and weaknesses.

This world is probably the easiest of the five, but does have a particularly nasty boss in the second level. It's all about fire and tunnels and lava. Difficulty: 2-1 is easy, 2-2 has a hard boss, 2-3 has the easiest final boss of any world.

World 3: Tower of Latria
    Latria, land of the Queen's ivory tower. An old man took revenge on the Queen by locking her family in a prison with inhuman guards. All that escapes the place are the prisoners' cries.
    Besides Physical attacks, you will encounter several enemies which will use potent ranged Magic attacks, and also some which will Poison you. There are no sources of Flame attacks here.

One of the creepiest places in the game, and also one of the harder ones. Very difficult for beginners. Difficulty: 3-1 is the trickiest first level of a world. 3-2 is no picnic and has the hardest boss(es) in the game. 3-3 has the coolest use of the online component in the game.

World 4: Shrine of Storms
    The island shrine of the Shadowmen, who worship storms & mourn the dead. Here, the Storm Beasts fly above and the souls of the dead inhabit empty skeletons to move about freely.
    This is a challenging location with a lot of risk, but also a lot of reward. There are some very nice treasures and drops here, and the souls earned is quite high relative to enemies in other worlds.

This is probably the toughest area to start out in, but also the best place to farm souls. The enemies here are a pain the in the ass sometimes. BLACK PHANTOMS LOVE THIS WORLD. Difficulty: 4-1 is possibly hardest area for beginners (easy boss though). 4-2 is worse than 4-2 (easy boss though). 4-3 cuts out the hard level and just has the easy boss (really cool fight though).

World 5: Valley of Defilement
    This damp valley is the resting place of those who have been thrown away. Overtaken by poison and plague, the dwellers attack anyone who wanders into the valley hoping to offer soul to the woman who showed compassion.
    The environment is as much a challenge as the enemies. All of 5-1 is traversing platforms to descend along both sides of a deep rift, where falling is of course, deadly. Most of 5-2 is a poison swamp, where you get poisoned just to say 'thanks for stopping in', and also you cannot roll and can only sprint at low speed although enemies move freely. Part of 5-3 is a plague swamp, because they wanted to give you something to hate more than the poison.

Oh boy, people really hate this world. It looks vile, hits you with plague and poison, and the second level is a giant, poisonous swamp. I think it is better than world 4, but it definitely a mean area. Difficulty: 5-1 has a crap-ton of pitfalls but easy enemies. 5-2 has a poisonous swamp and is one of the most hated areas in the game. 5-3 is just a boss fight but what a fight!

Now you know what is in store for me, decide my fate!

Trynant on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So the Monumental is a lady stuck halfway through the floor for all eternity? That... sucks.

I'll vote for World 4. I want to see what this black phantom system is.

Edit: I was mixing up what the different things were, but i'll keep my vote for World 4.

Aistan on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Comment about S1 P7, time 0:17:
    The "beware of a trap" message is probably talking about what happens if you continue ahead without jumping down. An enemy throws a torch that ignites some barrels, and you die.

Actually that might have been my message, if messages from months ago still persist in the game world.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited June 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    Comment about S1 P7, time 0:17:
    The "beware of a trap" message is probably talking about what happens if you continue ahead without jumping down. An enemy throws a torch that ignites some barrels, and you die.

Actually that might have been my message, if messages from months ago still persist in the game world.

I actually considered that after I finished the video, oh well, nobody's perfect :?

Trynant on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not a problem.

Just finished the set. Impressively well done, well edited. I'm definitely looking forward to more of these.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So this is a question coming from someone with no knowledge of this game, but...

Why does it matter so much what world you visit next? Won't you eventually end up visiting them all anyways, or is there something that changes after you visit certain ones, or is there some kinda other limiting factor?

Toxic Pickle on
    edited June 2010
    So this is a question coming from someone with no knowledge of this game, but...

Why does it matter so much what world you visit next? Won't you eventually end up visiting them all anyways, or is there something that changes after you visit certain ones, or is there some kinda other limiting factor?

Firstly, you can only visit the levels in a world in consecutive order (e.g. you cannot do 5-2 until you beat 5-1). Secondly, some levels are much harder than others and should be done when you have gotten better items from other levels. Also, you unlock very important features by visiting certain levels (e.g. by beating 2-2 you can unlock upgrading weapons using Demon's Souls).

It makes a big difference whether I start out in 5-1 or 1-2.

Trynant on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Items, I'm assuming

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    edited June 2010
    My vote is for world 3, nothing like a good low level face-fucking by the Cthulhu monsters to get a Let's Play rolling.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Well, some are much much harder than others. 2-1 is a cakewalk compared to 5-1 or 4-1. And since it's a game where you gain levels and get better equipment the more you play, doing the harder levels earlier is, well, harder.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also, the difficulty of the game doesn't really increase as you level.

A monster with X hit points and Y armor will always have X hit points and Y armor, whether you encounter it in the first hour of play or the tenth hour of play.

Difficulty increases only occur with each newgame+, which are effectively unlimited in number.

a puddle on
    edited June 2010
    I decided to look at the votes so far and I am starting to come to the conclusion that you are all a bunch of silly geese. If 5-1 wins the vote (which it will if things don't change), I'm naming the next set "You Filthy, Rotten Bastards."

Trynant on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd like to change my vote from 1-2 to 5-1.

pyromaniac221 on
    edited June 2010
    I'd like to change my vote from 1-2 to 5-1.
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Deadline for the votes is 7:00 P.M. EST. After that, I start playing. And probably dying. Possibly winning.

A note on time between play and uploads:
    I record with a box that only outputs in formats that I have to convert with the box's packaged software, which last time took half a day to convert to an editable format. Then I edit the videos, which requires watching through all the videos and fixing and editing as needed--this is the shortest part of the process since I can practically do this while the videos are converting. Then I render the videos into their final format, which takes sometime between thirty minutes to an hour and a half for each part of the set, totalling in something like another half a day if not longer.

What this means is
    A: It's going to take a little bit between each set, what with a day of voting, two days of editing (at least)
    B: Instead of waiting around for the videos to be finished before I start another vote, I'm thinking I will go ahead and just post when I finish a level and ask for votes then, probably giving a day for a deadline.

Trynant on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I also vote for 5-1, because I am a titanic asshole.

And it'll be fun to watch someone else try to do that level. :D

Elvenshae on
    edited June 2010
    Well Trynant, if you are entertaining enough maybe we'll send you somewhere other than 5-2 next :D

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    5-1 beaten twice. First time as blue phantom, second time in body form. No deaths. I didn't gear up in other worlds. I even got the crystal gecko.

EDIT: And like I said, it will take a day or three to get this batch of videos up. My setup hates me.

EDIT AGAIN: Also, the sound balance is a little better but I still think the live voiceover is going to be too quiet.

EDIT EDIT: Hmm, seems I accidentally posted the OP twice in a row instead of editing it, that's a signal that I'll be finishing up editing the set in tomorrow instead of tonight.

EDIT THE FOURTH: By the way, I'm naming Set 2 "You Filthy, Rotten Bastards." Which clearly is only a reference to the denizens of the Valley of Defilement and not to any silly goose who would make me do the hardest content first without me even gearing up beforehand.

Trynant on
    edited June 2010
    Christ, it's going to take another five hours give or take before all the videos are uploaded. Because I'm impatient, I'll just plug the first upload here and then keep adding more videos to this post as they get finished. Once it's all done I'll put Set 2 in the OP. Note the videos are being linked here as soon as they're uploaded, so it may take a little bit before they're viewable and even longer before they're in HD quality (which is what makes the videos take forever to render on my computer btw and you would make me ultra happy if you watched this in HD).

Things that happen in this set:
    I dick around in the Nexus and forget to bring half the stuff I should be bringing to 5-1.
    I plant a soul sign and get picked up by a better geared player. We rock 5-1's sock.
    I get kicked to my world, go back to 5-1 in body form, and rock socks again.
    The whole thing takes half as many videos as the first set did, thank God.

I will probably not show a full Blue Phantom playthrough again since it's essentially watching a level twice in a row, but I felt it was worth showing the whole thing the first time. Besides, I go an alternate route through 5-1 on my playthrough of it.

DISCLAIMER: The name of the set totally is not referring to any PA forum-goers, because that goes against the Glorious Edict, nor is this an insult, just the title of my set and a straight fact about the enemies I fight in this set. If I was to think poorly of the folks who voted that I go to the death-levels first I would call you all silly geeses. ANYTHING YOU MAY HEAR IN THE VIDEO THAT SAYS OTHERWISE IS JUST YOUR IMAGINATION. ALL LIES! LIEEEEEEEEEEES!

Set 2: "You Filthy, Rotten Bastards"
    EDIT: By the way, start voting on where I go next! The options are 1-2 (run across alot of bridge being chased by dragon), 2-1 (kill a lot of miners and a giant spider), 3-1 (wander a maze of a dungeon guarded by mind flayers), 4-1 (get invaded by black phantoms while killing super fast skeletons), or 5-2 (FFFFFUUUUUU-)

Trynant on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm going to be nice.

2-1, mainly because I hate spiders.

Farangu on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    3-1

Flay that shit!

Aistan on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    1-2. Toasty!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    2-1

You deserve a break

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Do 4-1.

No breaks for you.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited June 2010
    5-2. Living down to expectations.

Loving the LP, keep it up

pyromaniac221 on
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Once 5-2 is over there's basically no real torment left in the game. I mean, sure, the cliffs in 4-2 can be mildly annoying but they're more helpful than not. In 1-3 and 1-4 there are some rough patches but really it's more or less your fault if you get destroyed. 3-2 has the gargoyles and a boss that everyone thinks is really difficult.

There are a lot of places that are "hard" but not nearly as "fuck you I want you to die" as 5-2.

So save 5-2 for later.

a puddle on
    edited June 2010
    Alright, Set 2 is officially uploaded and in the OP!

Thank you for all the participation. Vote if you haven't already (I don't want to have a level win by a small margin), and you have any criticisms (hopefully constructive) I would love to hear them.

By the way, as far as really difficult parts, I did not find 5-2 that hard and one-shotted it on my first playthrough. This is probably because I saved it for last and probably out-leveled it, but nevertheless I thought it wasn't bad and kind of fun.

The boss of 3-2 was my worst enemy on my first playthrough. Maneater just kept knocking me off those bridges and tormenting me. I was an almost pure melee character just like I am and this playthrough, and that did not help. I can safely say the plurality of my deaths were owed to that one boss. 5-2 was far better than Maneater.

Trynant on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    a puddle wrote: »
    There are a lot of places that are "hard" but not nearly as "fuck you I want you to die" as 5-2.

So save 5-2 for later.

I like this idea.

I think you should go for 2-1, so that you can start working on opening up the special crafting.

As far as criticism goes, I really don't have any. I really liked both sets so far. The audio was better in Set 2 - good job on the improvement.

Elvenshae on
  • cozy duckcozy duck Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Do 3-1, it's way more tense and fun if you do it early when your options are limited. Plus, that way you won't complain too much about us sending you to 5-2 next, as you'll have enough spices to refill your mana (which you'll need with all the poisoning).

Also, you didn't show the talisman you can get in the beginning (by droping to a different area from the platform you get the morning star on, then kicking down the wood bridge). Also, this is very nitpicky, but the ticks drop marrowstone, not suckerstone.

Anyways, awesome LP so far. You really took 5-1 very slowly. I personally always rush quite a bit more (sometimes with undesirable results of course). Keep it up!

cozy duck on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love all the skeletons and unlocking that one hidden area, so I'd vote for 4-1. If I'm remembering the areas correctly.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited July 2010
    I surprised and pleased that (most of) you all are sparing me 5-2 for now! I'm going to start playing the level that gets the most votes (currently 2-1) early tomorrow (well, later today since it's past midnight, WHATEVER).

Also, not really much of a change but I think I will post a set here only when I get all the videos uploaded on my channel instead of editing in each new video as they process.

EDIT: There is either going to be a Set 2.5 or bonus videos to Set 2. And I think my character is going to be based on high faith. Guess what I got?

Trynant on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to vote for 2-1 too because I want to see a more typical early level.

Plus it will be super boring if we put it off for last

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How i would do it:

1-1

All of 2

Back to 1-2
    Then 3-1, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 1-3, 3-2, 3-3, All of 5

Is there still a multiplayer system working? I really want to start this up again.

Barcardi on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It looked like there were plenty of white spirits when he was playing. And he did all of 5-1 with someone random, right? I'm still making my way through the first set.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    It looked like there were plenty of white spirits when he was playing. And he did all of 5-1 with someone random, right? I'm still making my way through the first set.

Yeah he did. Dropped a soul sign I think it was called and in about three minutes someone picked him up. Pretty sweet system.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you drop a "I'm in trouble - someone recommend this message!" message alert, it still gets approved surprisingly fast, especially in boss areas.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also protip: Use and upgrade a spear ASAP.

Barcardi on