As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Band lineup has been revealed!

ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front ProductionsLake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in PAX Archive
That's right guys, it's official. The 7 bands that will make their appearance at PAX Prime this year are as follows:

Anamanaguchi
Jonathan Coulton
Paul & Storm
Metroid Metal
MC Frontalot
The Minibosses
The Protomen

I'm super stoked to see that the battle has been won to get The Protomen to Prime this year, their performance at East was amazing. I'm also glad to see The Minibosses making a return, though I would really love to see The OneUps or Freezepop make their way back.

Either way, It's still a good lineup. You should all be excited. Very excited. :D

Source
The above source does not mention MC Frontalot, however the main PAX website does.

NSw0gum.png
Coldbrew on

• MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Coldbrew. I got spooked by that GoNintendo article omitting Frontalot, but the official post has set me straight!

Hard choices to make, especially with the great performances by The OneUps, Freezepop, and most recently Video Games Orchestra. Glad to see The Minibosses back, and The Protomen returning after their amazing PAX East debut.

The concerts are sure to be great, and packed if the momentum from East carries over to Prime!

(note: MJPM posting or tweeting anything after midnight is just like doing anything with a Magwai during the same time frame: just don't.)

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All good bands. Every concert line up will be worth seeing. Only missing VGO :(

parabola on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I originally only saw the GoNintendo article as well and thought it was a bit strange that Frontalot wasn't on there, but it's all good now.

And I miss VGO as well. I wish there was more time/room for more than 7 bands at PAX.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh thank the maker, no freezepop.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This was my initial reaction to the announcement that The Protomen were coming to Prime.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • deo maximadeo maxima Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    A million kinds of thrilled and this will be my first PAX as well. Sounds like it's gonna be crazy good fun times. (Hm, I need to figure out accommodations, too. And whether to pack extra bourbon for ze band.)

deo maxima on
  • basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Awesome. Will miss VGO but nice to see the Protomen!

basicallygeek on
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hell yes. I know the Protomen's music backwards now. It will be my pleasure to film them and actually know what to do with my camera now that I know how their songs go. Solid lineup all told. Glad to see the Minibosses are back in the lineup as well. Of course, now I'll have to buy their albums too so I know how their music goes.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Bigmike64Bigmike64 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Disappointed in VGO's absence like everyone else, but still, very nice lineup. VGO was by far my favorite of all the PAX bands (Prime and East).

Bigmike64 on
  • burnttoast45burnttoast45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As much as I love VGO, I think it might have been logistically complex (and fairly expensive) to send an orchestra. Hopefully we'll see them next East, and you never know for future Primes..

Another impressive list for this years Prime.

burnttoast45 on
    edited June 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    Hell yes. I know the Protomen's music backwards now. It will be my pleasure to film them and actually know what to do with my camera now that I know how their songs go. Solid lineup all told. Glad to see the Minibosses are back in the lineup as well. Of course, now I'll have to buy their albums too so I know how their music goes.

Gah, I'm still learning all of the bands' songs. I now own everything Paul & Storm and Anamanaguchi have published that is purchasable. I'm still collecting all of JoCo, and have been Youtube-ing Frontalot and Metroid Metal. Now, on to The Minibosses and The Protomen!

Also working on the perfect settings for low light and stability while free handing the camera.

MJPM on
  • GameOver!GameOver! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No Freezepop? That sucks...

GameOver! on
  • DopeskiDopeski Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a couple of questions regarding getting into the concerts. In the FAQ is says that Enforcers hand out bracelets that are used to get in. Does that mean that I can ask any Enforcer during the day for a bracelet? Also, how early do people tend to start lining up for the concerts. Thanks!

Dopeski on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    From what I can tell from coming to PAX East, you are given wristbands in the line the morning of the concert. After they run out, they run out, but there's definitely room left after the people with wristbands are let in.

Heleor on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    From what I can tell from coming to PAX East, you are given wristbands in the line the morning of the concert. After they run out, they run out, but there's definitely room left after the people with wristbands are let in.
    This is correct. If the concert is the most important thing for you, obtain a wristband and line up for the concert early so you can be close to the stage.

You can obtain a wristband from the morning lineup, or by paying for a BYOC (Bring Your Own Computer) seat.

If the concert is less important for you, you can probably get in after the wristband line folks have entered. Historically this has always been true, but it's not really guaranteed.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited July 2010
    I just hope there are no PAX East Saturday night concert shenanigans this Prime... Corralling us into one large space and then haphazardly giving out armbands, when the previous day's process was just FINE. First come first served it how it should be, and giving the armbands out as people enter the queue works perfectly.

I'm not bitter, since I got in just fine and had an awesome time, but it was a WTF moment for sure. Still don't understand the logic to it.

MJPM on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A lot of things went wrong at PAX East, involving lines. That convention center wasn't meant for PAX, I don't think. It shouldn't be something we'll need to worry about for Prime.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • RainierRainier Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    It has always killed me inside (particularly as a WA state resident), that the planets have never aligned for me to be able to attend PAX before this; but the revelation of the presence of The Commander and his Protomen this year has somehow made it possible, which I think is pretty appropriate for an inaugural attendance.

Rainier on
  • DopeskiDopeski Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow, I'm really liking the Protomen. So far I've listened to their latest CD and I love it. Now I definitely want to go see them! So now I have a few more questions: What time are the concerts usually? Also, how long do each band get to typically play for? Thanks!

Dopeski on
    edited July 2010
    Concerts typically start around 9:30pm and last until around 2am. Each band, on average, gets about an hour of play time. Except for Jonathan Coulton, who usually goes on for an hour and a half or so

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Must. See. Protomen.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In my experience, they hand out wristbands in the morning lineup. However, I have been able to secure extra armbands by asking at the info desk in the afternoon. So if somehow you miss out in the morning, it doesn't hurt to ask.

I so wish I was coming this year, just to see JoCo and Anamanaguchi!

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • RawberryRawberry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hearing that the Minibosses are coming back this year has officially made me the Happiest Girl In The World. There's nothing like Kraid to finish off a loud, sweaty evening of nerd music. Happyhappyhappyhappy....

Rawberry on
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What I'm curious about is who will be on each night; PAX08 I could have made the Friday concerts if I tried, but I passed out around 7pm on Saturday. Damn jet lag plus four nights of sleep debt at that point.

BrennaCeDria on
  • basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    /agree, it will be nice to know the schedule. I will also have jet lag.

basicallygeek on
  • BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The concerts need to be worse next year. How am I supposed to get to do anything if each night is spent going to concerts all night?

Belgand on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Freakin' awesome lineup. Never got to experience Protomen or Minibosses live (missed them last time they were there).

Kinda wanted to see the OneUps again but I'll take this. :)

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FINALLY! A YEAR WITHOUT FREEZEPOP!

This means so much to me, you guys. so fucking much.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So not only do you not like their music, you want them to know they are horrible people and they should feel bad.

X__X

I hope that's not really the impression you were trying to give.

(Wheaton's Law?)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    So not only do you not like their music, you want them to know they are horrible people and they should feel bad.

X__X

I hope that's not really the impression you were trying to give.

(Wheaton's Law?)

All I'm implying is that I'm sick of them. I fully recognize that many others do not share this belief.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Aidan_Aidan_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm sad there'll be no Freezepop performance on the year I'm finally able to attend, but it's a fair trade with the The Protomen being there. I've lived in east Tennessee for two years now and still never managed to make it to a show.

Aidan_ on
    Do what now?

"I aim to misbehave."
    - Capt. Mal Reynolds
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    contrefait wrote: »
    Oh thank the maker, no freezepop.

Not gonna lie, that was my reaction too. I just was not very thrilled by their performance last year.

The Protomen, on the other hand, I had not heard of until I saw the Pax Prime band listing. I'm well on my way to having all their songs memorized though. My mind = blown.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Excited for all these bands....except one. Paul & Storm. Guess they're just too witty for me.

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Excited for all these bands....except one. Paul & Storm. Guess they're just too witty for me.

I ended up at Paul & Storm without knowing anything about them (was there with a group for the followup and we wanted to go plenty early) and I'm glad we did, they were a lot of fun and seem to know how to work a crowd alright.

PAX is a pretty workable crowd though I'll admit. :)

I won't miss Freezepop because while I like their music the live performances just aren't exciting. Sorry.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2010
    Infidel wrote: »
    PAX is a pretty workable crowd though I'll admit. :)

Awwwwww.

(Sorry, joke from PAX East :P)

Paul and Storm have a great stage presence. Most of their music is much better experienced live - they're more similar to a comedy duo that happens to sing than most of the other acts.

Heleor on
    edited July 2010
    I've never seen them live, so I'm sure my perception will change once I do....possibly.

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've never seen them live, so I'm sure my perception will change once I do....possibly.

Ahhh-ha!

Yeah, they are definitely a stage act. Recordings of their songs are just kinda a side-effect.

Dejected arrrrr!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2010
    Well then in that case it seems like my cloudy skies are clearing up!...in Seattle non the less! Did you guys read about where they are having the concerts?

GamingGoddess on
  • kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Metroid Metal, The Protomen and the Minibosses are back. That's all I really care about! Put 'em all on saturday night and make life easy!

kazuo on
    edited July 2010
    kazuo wrote: »
    Metroid Metal, The Protomen and the Minibosses are back. That's all I really care about! Put 'em all on saturday night and make life easy!

They're more likely to be on Friday night, from my (lacking) prior experience. I'd predict Coulton, Paul and Storm, and probably the Minibosses to be on Saturday night.

Heleor on
This discussion has been closed.