As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lego Harry Potter - Compulsively smashing stuff for studs

Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
This'll be a pretty bare bones OP as I doubt it'll get the traffic to warrant much effort. I'll polish it up a tad if I'm proved wrong.

So this is out now and the reviews are calling it the best LEGO X game yet. Sounds great to me as I'm happy to accept the series for the charming, fun and amusing (if in no way challenging) co-op romps that they are. Seriously, the best games to play with a child/spouse/partner that you can find on the market.

My question to any who may own it on Wii; Are there any major Wii-centric controls? I have the option of getting this on 360 or Wii and all things being equal will go for 360 for obvious reasons. However given we're talking spells and wands and shit I thought there might be some Wii pointer stuff going on. All online reviews I've found have copy/pasted between console versions and make no mention of any differences.

Cheers for any help.

MhCw7nZ.gif
Jam Warrior on

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have a similar question actually. I own a 360 and a Wii, but only one 360 controller and two Wii remotes. Does the 360 offer anything better outside of nicer graphics? I'd have to buy a second controller if I go with the 360 release.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Achievements? I am looking to hopefully get this for my birthday. Love the LEGO games. Played the demo for this and I was thoroughly impressed with how they implemented the spells for the characters and was VERY impressed with how many options were available to purchase throughout the game.

Not sure yet about the new level design with opening up areas of hogwarts. It sounds good, but the Demo wasn't long enough to get a real impression. So far, this was right up there with Lego Star Wars.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game rules

It is NOT the game for Achievement whores

I played for hours on end before I got a single one

It IS the game for people who love Harry Potter and charming Lego cutscenes

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2010
    I will say that as I played through the demo, darn near EVERYTHING was breakable. Sheesh. Also, the wasps/flying bugs were highly annoying until I figured out how to break the hive.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    My usual MO when working through a Lego game is thus: Do only what is required to beat the story mode.

When I have beaten the game, use unlocks and stuff to re-do the story on Free Play for 100%

There is simply too much stuff to do, and some things you can't even do the first time you approach them anyways, so if I spent all my time on that I'd never finish the game proper.

UnbreakableVow on
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got this for my wife for her birthday yesterday (she loved the lego games and loves Harry Potter). Played a bit last night on 360. Same Lego charm, love that the screen splits when you get too far from the other player. The screen split moving in depending on where you are in relation to the other character gets a bit cofusing though and has led to some hard to tell what's going on moments. Other than that good fun so far. I can see this one lasting us a while.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've learned my lesson from Lego Star Wars is to buy the multiplier bricks right away to make life a little easier. Anyone know where the multiplier bricks can be found and how much they are?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    edited July 2010
    No idea where, but I bet the first one is a million studs.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to wait for a patch on the PC version before I continue playing. I got some major glitches where I would be randomly thrown around, lose sound, get stuck etc.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Idoliside wrote: »
    I'm going to wait for a patch on the PC version before I continue playing. I got some major glitches where I would be randomly thrown around, lose sound, get stuck etc.

I wouldn't count on it. I can't remember any Lego game having a patch for it, and I had some gamebreaking issues in Lego Indy.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Moorening wrote: »
    I got this for my wife for her birthday yesterday (she loved the lego games and loves Harry Potter). Played a bit last night on 360. Same Lego charm, love that the screen splits when you get too far from the other player. The screen split moving in depending on where you are in relation to the other character gets a bit cofusing though and has led to some hard to tell what's going on moments. Other than that good fun so far. I can see this one lasting us a while.

They introduced the split-screen mechanic in LEGO Indiana Jones 2, and it was great there, too. Very entertaining to hop in a plane in the hub world and fly just far enough away to force a split and then go in circles around your coop partner. At least until she starts punching me in the arm - then it was time to parachute out and go to the next story level.

I don't have mine yet, but I dug the demo. Amazon will get it to me soon enough though.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    Moorening wrote: »

They introduced the split-screen mechanic in LEGO Indiana Jones 2, and it was great there, too. Very entertaining to hop in a plane in the hub world and fly just far enough away to force a split and then go in circles around your coop partner. At least until she starts punching me in the arm - then it was time to parachute out and go to the next story level.

I don't have mine yet, but I dug the demo. Amazon will get it to me soon enough though.
    I can totally see my coop partner punching me in the arm for doing something fun like that. We actually recently picked up and beat the first Lego Indy...haven't gotten to the second one yet. Good to know the split screen is in that one too.

Moorening on
  • AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got the Wii version to play with a friend on Tuesday but I havent gotten around to opening/playing it. The only motion controls I have heard of so far is just for aiming spells.

Maybe I'll open it today and give it a whirl.

Adellios on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Adellios wrote: »
    I got the Wii version to play with a friend on Tuesday but I havent gotten around to opening/playing it. The only motion controls I have heard of so far is just for aiming spells.

Maybe I'll open it today and give it a wingardium leviosa.

Tamin on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I started to get tired of the Lego formula after Lego Batman (which was fun, but seemed very similar to Lego Indy), but I may jump back in on this one.

Ganluan on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    im pretty bummed that this series still doesnt have online co-op.

Ah_Pook on
    edited July 2010
    It is first and foremost a family game, designed for local play

UnbreakableVow on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    im pretty bummed that this series still doesnt have online co-op.

Complete Saga has/had online coop, and nobody played it. Why code what the players won't use?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • JackBurtonJackBurton Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ToyD wrote: »
    Not sure yet about the new level design with opening up areas of hogwarts. It sounds good, but the Demo wasn't long enough to get a real impression.

It works wonderfully in the game itself. That change was what I loved most about it - it feels natural, leaves you to explore a larger world than the other Lego games, adds to the sense of life and character the game gives Hogwarts while offering up a layered gameplay experience.

Well, that and pet cats can't mistake CGI Lego for a litter tray.

JackBurton on
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My friend's entire game collection consists of every single Harry Potter game, and every single Lego game.

Needless to say, she hasn't shut up about this game since she heard it was coming out.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    JackBurton wrote: »
    Not sure yet about the new level design with opening up areas of hogwarts. It sounds good, but the Demo wasn't long enough to get a real impression.

It works wonderfully in the game itself. That change was what I loved most about it - it feels natural, leaves you to explore a larger world than the other Lego games, adds to the sense of life and character the game gives Hogwarts while offering up a layered gameplay experience.

Well, that and pet cats can't mistake CGI Lego for a litter tray.

You had that problem too?

I was always so damned curious to why the cats would piss on spare lego if it got left out.

Also, I'm totally getting this. Lego games are amazing.

Sipex on
    edited July 2010
    For anyone playing, make sure to buy the redbrick that allows you to pick up the Ghost studs (that leads you to the next area). Each stud is worth 1,000 studs and pays for itself pretty fast

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    edited July 2010
    For those of you that haven't picked it up yet. At Toys R Us:
    Buy Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4, get Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga, Lego Indiana Jones the Original Adventures, or Lego Batman the Video Game for $5

Unfortunately I JUST BOUGHT Lego Star Wars on Saturday with Best Buy's "Buy 1, Get 1 Wii Game 50% off" sale so I can't take advantage of this.

Not that I'd pay $50 for a Lego game anyway. :P

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    For anyone playing, make sure to buy the redbrick that allows you to pick up the Ghost studs (that leads you to the next area). Each stud is worth 1,000 studs and pays for itself pretty fast

What do you mean by this? I've seen "red bricks" around Hogwarts, but haven't been able to do anything with them (We're assuming they're a component in Polyjuice Potion). I walked around Diagon Alley yesterday, but I didn't see a place to purchase Red Brick upgrades.

This is my first Lego game, really.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited July 2010
    DVG wrote: »
    Bedigunz wrote: »

What do you mean by this? I've seen "red bricks" around Hogwarts, but haven't been able to do anything with them (We're assuming they're a component in Polyjuice Potion). I walked around Diagon Alley yesterday, but I didn't see a place to purchase Red Brick upgrades.

This is my first Lego game, really.

You buy the stuff you've unlocked in Diagon Alley. The red bricks are in one of the stores, upstairs in the back. Forget which store offhand though.

On another note, now that I've really played this game (up to Year 2 now), I REALLY like it. The castle junction area is neat and I think there are hidden lessons you can attend that aren't necessarily required to keep the story moving. That or I learned Transfiguration early. I am sincerely digging how you have to unlock everything instead of the massive stud grind that the last lego game was. Not that it's free when you unlock it, it's just that you have to unlock it before you can spend studs. They've also gotten really creative with how you get the unlockables. Nothing is done with the same objects, so you've got to really explore EVERYTHING.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game is a blast. The Hogwarts hub adds a lot to the overall feel of the game, and all the little touches they add around the castle are really surprising in number. You'll even see things like Moody turn Malfoy into a weasel (Lego rat).

Artereis on
    edited July 2010
    I agree. I love the Hogwarts hub on top of Diagon Alley. Last night my wife and I unlocked the Reducto spell (or whatever it's called), then spent the next 30 minutes or so wandering Hogwarts trying to remember where we saw those damn shiny locks to unlock more characters. After about 30 minutes or so we hadn't found everything, but realized it was 1130 and that we should have been in bed an hour before that. Oh well, gives us something to do tonight...unless I can convince her that Crackdown 2 must be played.

Moorening on
  • JackBurtonJackBurton Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    You had that problem too?

I was always so damned curious to why the cats would piss on spare lego if it got left out.

Also, I'm totally getting this. Lego games are amazing.

I think cats are just born with the instinctive, inherent need to kill mice, fight dogs and piss on whatever Lego they might find.

JackBurton on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We should talk about this more. The fiancée and I beat storymode last night. She was disappointed that there was no ball scene in book four, despite being able to unlock characters for it. In fact, four felt a little brief to both of us. All in all, this game was a blast from start to finish. The quidditch levels were far and away my favorites. We should start free play tonight to get all the secrets we missed.

We only ran into a few glitches during the game. We had a complete freeze of the game during one of the missions in book 3, and the watering can outside Hagrid's hut managed to get stuck because I accidentally changed screens while she was casting WL on it. It took a book, but it finally fixed itself and watered the garden.

Artereis on
    edited July 2010
    I just found the x2 and x8 bricks as well as stud magnet.

The game is officially broken now when it comes to obtaining True Wizard. Fortunately it'll still be fun to go through free play and get the crests now that I have all the main spells.

God I love this game

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    edited July 2010
    So I picked up Lego Star Wars for the Wii at Best Buy on Saturday since they were having a sale on Wii games. It's my first Lego game and I'm enjoying it so far.

So I figure with Harry Potter that if I want to rope my girlfriend into playing I'll have to get a second nunchuck for her to use with my second Wii Remote.

Though if I go with the 360 I'll have to buy a whole 'nother controller. That's $20 vs $50, so I ask, is Harry Potter on the Wii missing anything major that the 360 has? I can't imagine the graphics looking that much better with how simplified everything is.

(Though to be fair my 360 pad is getting rather worn down and I'll likely have to replace it soon anyway. The analog stick is a little lose and the rubber notches on the stick are all but gone...though with as little as I play my 360 I almost feel like it's an unneeded purchase.)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited July 2010
    So far I've heard no claims about the Wii version being inferior in any way outside of HD graphics

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2010
    Played the wii version a little at a friend's house, and will be purchasing the computer version (I know, I know ...) when I have some money / time. A lot more fun than I expected.

It's a good design, but I hate to buy things piecemeal if I'm expecting a more complete release later - in this case, I worry that the odds we'll see a Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-7 with everything current, plus more.

Tamin on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just wanna say, I wish I knew that I had to go into extras to turn on my red bricks before I beat the game. I coulda had so much more money :(

M.D. on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    Played the wii version a little at a friend's house, and will be purchasing the computer version (I know, I know ...) when I have some money / time. A lot more fun than I expected.

It's a good design, but I hate to buy things piecemeal if I'm expecting a more complete release later - in this case, I worry that the odds we'll see a Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-7 with everything current, plus more.

I think it's more likely we'll just see Lego Harry Potter Years: 5-7. The later books are larger and contain a lot more action that can be turned into a game level.

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited July 2010
    I just wanna say, I wish I knew that I had to go into extras to turn on my red bricks before I beat the game. I coulda had so much more money :(

Once you get a couple of the higher multipliers, it really doesn't matter. To the tune of maxing out the stud counter in just a level or two. I'm still in Year 3 working my way through. Unlocking stuff as I go, but haven't purchased anything yet. Waiting until I get the multipliers before I start purchasing unlocks. Really enjoying seeing the castle change every year. So far the Dementors and Boggarts are probably my favorite. Strength potions probably my least. Although I imagine that'll change once I purchase Accio.

Also, does the Red offensive spell automagically choose itself when you cast it? I notice there are several for purchase in Diagon Alley, but only 1 red circle choice on your bar that autocycles. Haven't really had to use it myself for anything yet. Transfiguration seems to be a gimmick and hasn't been really required for anything yet.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010

Once you get a couple of the higher multipliers, it really doesn't matter. To the tune of maxing out the stud counter in just a level or two. I'm still in Year 3 working my way through. Unlocking stuff as I go, but haven't purchased anything yet. Waiting until I get the multipliers before I start purchasing unlocks. Really enjoying seeing the castle change every year. So far the Dementors and Boggarts are probably my favorite. Strength potions probably my least. Although I imagine that'll change once I purchase Accio.

Also, does the Red offensive spell automagically choose itself when you cast it? I notice there are several for purchase in Diagon Alley, but only 1 red circle choice on your bar that autocycles. Haven't really had to use it myself for anything yet. Transfiguration seems to be a gimmick and hasn't been really required for anything yet.
    The red spells cycle through on a fairly quick timer. I mainly use that with my kids to annoy them and get into "duels" and see who can get the strangest thing going on with the other person. Aside from that all the "red" spells seem to be pretty useless in game.

Moorening on
    edited July 2010

Once you get a couple of the higher multipliers, it really doesn't matter. To the tune of maxing out the stud counter in just a level or two. I'm still in Year 3 working my way through. Unlocking stuff as I go, but haven't purchased anything yet. Waiting until I get the multipliers before I start purchasing unlocks. Really enjoying seeing the castle change every year.

Most interesting. Can you return to previous years?

Tamin on
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just got to
    Christmas Year 1. All the characters running around in Santa hats? Awesome.
    I had a couple of questions since I am a dirty Gamefly renter and don't have the manual:
    * How do you save and quit from Hogwarts? Or more generically, how do you force a save? (I'm on 360.)
    * How do you Free Play in Hogwarts?

antherem on
    edited July 2010
    Tamin wrote: »

Once you get a couple of the higher multipliers, it really doesn't matter. To the tune of maxing out the stud counter in just a level or two. I'm still in Year 3 working my way through. Unlocking stuff as I go, but haven't purchased anything yet. Waiting until I get the multipliers before I start purchasing unlocks. Really enjoying seeing the castle change every year.

Most interesting. Can you return to previous years?

I'll caveat and say I haven't done it yet because I'm working through the story, however in the Leaky Cauldron, there is a bulletin Board listing all your years and I'm sure you can select previous ones to go back through the story to get missed things. However I am not sure if this only takes you through the story portion or if you can revisit hogwarts itself. Hopefully you can revisit the previous years for things that change like the Defense Against the Dark Arts class and so on.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png