As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat]tlenet 2.0

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    I wonder if Blizzard's going to be taking a look at some of the itemization of Outland quest rewards/instance drops. I can imagine once 4.0 hits, it's going to be all kinds of jacked up.

If I had to guess, I would doubt it. I mean, Blizzard didn't clean up Azeroth's itemization when BC and WoTLK released, and both those expansions made pretty sweeping changes to the game play systems (though, admittedly, not as sweeping as Cata will).

BC, and to some extent Northrend, will become somewhat like Azeroth is now: Pass through content on your way to the next tier of stuff.

Actually, with WotLK, or BC, Blizzard did go back to Azeroth and redo a lot of their items. They didn't make them super fantastic, but they did suck a lot less.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Those changes came with Patch 2.3, Beyond Normal.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wonder if Blizzard's going to be taking a look at some of the itemization of Outland quest rewards/instance drops. I can imagine once 4.0 hits, it's going to be all kinds of jacked up.

If I had to guess, I would doubt it. I mean, Blizzard didn't clean up Azeroth's itemization when BC and WoTLK released, and both those expansions made pretty sweeping changes to the game play systems (though, admittedly, not as sweeping as Cata will).

BC, and to some extent Northrend, will become somewhat like Azeroth is now: Pass through content on your way to the next tier of stuff.

Actually, with WotLK, or BC, Blizzard did go back to Azeroth and redo a lot of their items. They didn't make them super fantastic, but they did suck a lot less.

I think they ran an automated process to clean up bad stats, but I've just leveled through Azeroth in lterally the last week, and the items are all total shit, full of spirit and such. I mean, for my Priest, spirit isn't so bad, I guess...but the itemization is still sketchy as hell in Azeroth. They may have done some minor tweaks when they did the quest cleanup (to make the leveling curve easier), but I don't think they did much hand tweaking of the itemization.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I think they ran an automated process to clean up bad stats, but I've just leveled through Azeroth in lterally the last week, and the items are all total shit, full of spirit and such. I mean, for my Priest, spirit isn't so bad, I guess...but the itemization is still sketchy as hell in Azeroth. They may have done some minor tweaks when they did the quest cleanup (to make the leveling curve easier), but I don't think they did much hand tweaking of the itemization.

Oh I know. My warlock recently went through Tanaris, Searing Gorge, and UnGoro. It was pretty bad with the gear I got while questing.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pretty sure they said that they re-did Outland gear as well due to the huge changes to item stats they're making.

reVerse on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I remember they added spell power to a lot of things that didn't have spell power before, and upped the quality on instance drops.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The only changes I can potentially see are xp gain tweaks in Outlands and maybe Northrend.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    End wrote: »
    I remember they added spell power to a lot of things that didn't have spell power before, and upped the quality on instance drops.

Right, they did this as part of the broader "make Azeroth not a total hell hole to level through" initiative, where they made some group quests solo-able, got rid of some stupid rewards, etc. Around the same time they lowered XP requirements pre-80.

I just think the kind of re-itemization they'd have to do post Cata is going to be super prohibitive. Obviously they'll set up some automated processes to do some of it (remove bad stats, convert some bad stats to new stat types, etc), but I question if they are going to go through BC and WoTLK and actually re-itemize the whole place, making sure the stats aren't just "correct" in the game systems sense, but also relevant to the people getting the items.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shrieve wrote: »
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Actually I think the main reason the new expac doesn't interest me is because Goblins seem like the most boring choice for a new race ever.

Except that in the first 5 levels of questing the Goblins show more personality and creativity then any other class I've played in the game. Honestly they are just so completely insane and over the top that you have to be pretty boring not to like them after going through the starting zone.

I'd agree that they might have been the most 'boring' choice for a Horde race in that they were the most obvious and non-surprising route they could have taken, but they are a series staple and fit in. Besides the opposite of an obvious choice would be Dranei... And honestly I wouldn't want a repeat of that fiasco.

Just choosing some unexpected race to fill out either faction doesn't make it a good choice.

The only thing that worries me about the goblin starting zone is that it people might think it's a bit too over the top. I personally loved it and thought it was hilarious, but I can see how people would think that it's really diverging from the regular Warcraft feel.

I guess I can spoil a bit now. :)
    One section has you driving down the street in your convertible. With 3 of your buddies in the back seat while music is blaring out (yes, there's a "change radio" button you can hit). You then hit up people who haven't been paying to the mob, and with your 3 friends proceed to beat the shit out of them Soprano's style until they cough up the dough.

Oh, and along the way you play a game of football and kick a field goal way too far into a volcano.

It's so deliciously over the top. But I can kind of see how people could think it's too much.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I agree that it'll probably be automated, but the actual changes that get made this time will be a lot larger than any re-itemization we've seen before.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I agree that it'll probably be automated, but the actual changes that get made this time will be a lot larger than any re-itemization we've seen before.

Agreed. Though, I guess part of the point of the Cata stats system change is to make more gear relevant to more people, and not have these weird stat soups we have now where certain classes want very specific items, that really only that class wants.

So perhaps some of the "re-itemization" that would be required pre-Cata to make all gear relevant simply isn't required with Cata, given how streamlined the entire system is becoming.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The only thing that worries me about the goblin starting zone is that it people might think it's a bit too over the top. I personally loved it and thought it was hilarious, but I can see how people would think that it's really diverging from the regular Warcraft feel.

I guess I can spoil a bit now. :)
    One section has you driving down the street in your convertible. With 3 of your buddies in the back seat while music is blaring out (yes, there's a "change radio" button you can hit). You then hit up people who haven't been paying to the mob, and with your 3 friends proceed to beat the shit out of them Soprano's style until they cough up the dough.

Oh, and along the way you play a game of football and kick a field goal way too far into a volcano.

It's so deliciously over the top. But I can kind of see how people could think it's too much.

Yeah I linked a picture of the rod a couple pages back;
    hotrody.jpg

The whole zone is over the top to the extreme. You forgot to mention heading to your promotion party all pimped out and taking care of your guests by pouring wine and throwing buckets of water on those who passed out. And then the party crashers...

Some people will definitely take issue with it; they definitely feel a lot more steampunk then high fantasy. If you had problems with parts of Outland (such as Netherstorm), you might not like the Goblins. I personally love variety and the place was anything but stale and played out. If there's one thing Warcraft is known for, it's mixing various subgenres of fantasy into one setting; it really just depends where you are in the game world. (the Worgen area for example feels very Diablo like; Gothic Fantasy)

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But WarCraft has always had some steam punk elements, always. It's never been purely high fantasy. Hell, WarCraft II had Dwarven Steam Tanks. I don't see why people get bent out of shape about the steam punk stuff, it's always been there. Hell, we have guns in WoW.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There is far more advanced technology in the Warcraft universe; teleporters, helicopters, and fucking laser guns.

edit: I also forgot inter-dimensional spaceships piloted by goat people, and giant robots.

Beyond Normal on
  • Options
    Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    But WarCraft has always had some steam punk elements, always. It's never been purely high fantasy. Hell, WarCraft II had Dwarven Steam Tanks. I don't see why people get bent out of shape about the steam punk stuff, it's always been there. Hell, we have guns in WoW.

It's not so much the steam punk as it is being beaten over the head with pop culture humor.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    GranakGranak Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There is far more advanced technology in the Warcraft universe; teleporters, helicopters, and fucking laser guns.

You're forgetting the helicopter tanks that have teleportation devices and mounted twin-laser guns.

Man.. that's just so WoW! *studio audience applause*

Seriously, though, I'm LOVIN' everything I've seen of the Goblin area so far.

Granak on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Biggest worries so far:

Cataclysm's item graphics will be as underwhelming as WoTLK when it came out.

More Dwarven Golem, Elementals, Oozes, and Worms.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1842-Cataclysm-Models

Is there any new models for Orcs that I'm unaware of? As far as I know, everything is just reskinned from the years old model.

McAllen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    RELEASE THE KRAKEN!
    leviathan.jpg

I'm lovin' the look of this.

Beyond Normal on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wtb more videos of goblins in action that aren't shitty plz

like warriors

or warlocks

Arch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It's not so much the steam punk as it is being beaten over the head with pop culture humor.

...but that's Blizzard? I think people need to go back and do the 1-20 quests in the true old world, and actually read them. You were brow beat with popular culture references from the 2004 time frame.

I haven't seen the Goblin area, so I can't say it's not completely over the top in a bad way, but nothing I've seen/heard is that un-WarCrafty.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arch wrote: »

like warriors

or warlocks

I could try Frapsing later when I get home; however I can't remember whether or not I even have a working copy of Fraps since I installed Windows 7.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Any chance of seeing the Bow/Gun animations for Goblins?

I'm considering making a Goblin hunter in cata, and I want to see if their animations are better than the Troll ones.

Nobody on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shrieve wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »

like warriors

or warlocks

I could try Frapsing later when I get home; however I can't remember whether or not I even have a working copy of Fraps since I installed Windows 7.

<3

or just give me your login information or a beta key

actually don't do that I don't wanna get sick of it

Arch on
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That car is the best thing ever and needs to be a mount.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    A child will die every six minutes until it is confirmed that a car of such magnitude is available to me as a mount.

Granak on
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Granak wrote: »
    A child will die every six minutes until it is confirmed that a car of such magnitude is available to me as a mount.

That could be a lot of dead children. That begs the question
    Where do you get your sacraficial kids? I just can't seem to find a good place anymore.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Usually at CostCo or Wal-Mart. Great selection and most of those dead-eyed parents are just begging to give away one of their brood.

Granak on
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kids, huh? I was sacrificing clowns and lawyers and wondered why no one gave a shit....hmmm

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    LTTP on this topic, but to the guy who doesn't want to quit because his friends might get mad: you're a lot more replaceable than you think you are.

One of the most interesting parts about stepping back from a hardcore raid situation is the realization that life does actually go on without you. Makes you feel a bit unappreciated after the fact -_-

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, there's 30+ people in a serious raid, and only with incredibly poor planning will there be anyone who's really irreplaceable.

I was poking around today and found out that about half my old raid quit, and the other half merged with some jerk guild so that they could keep doing IC.

le sigh

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One of the most interesting parts about stepping back from a hardcore raid situation is the realization that life does actually go on without you.

QFT.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    LTTP on this topic, but to the guy who doesn't want to quit because his friends might get mad: you're a lot more replaceable than you think you are.

One of the most interesting parts about stepping back from a hardcore raid situation is the realization that life does actually go on without you. Makes you feel a bit unappreciated after the fact -_-

There are people on the raid team important enough to cause the raid to grind to a halt if they quit (usually your best gear tanked, and your primary raid leader)...but one Holy Paladin is generally not that stumbling block.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think they ran an automated process to clean up bad stats, but I've just leveled through Azeroth in lterally the last week, and the items are all total shit, full of spirit and such.
    I logged on my level 57 (now 58) alliance priest that I will probably never play for real to do some Midsummer shit, and I looked at some of the random quests in his log. One of them is a late-40s quest with only one reward item: an off-hand item with 4 stam and 8 spirit. Christ.

forty on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Right, they did this as part of the broader "make Azeroth not a total hell hole to level through" initiative, where they made some group quests solo-able, got rid of some stupid rewards, etc. Around the same time they lowered XP requirements pre-80.

I just think the kind of re-itemization they'd have to do post Cata is going to be super prohibitive. Obviously they'll set up some automated processes to do some of it (remove bad stats, convert some bad stats to new stat types, etc), but I question if they are going to go through BC and WoTLK and actually re-itemize the whole place, making sure the stats aren't just "correct" in the game systems sense, but also relevant to the people getting the items.
    Agreed. I'd like to see the WotLK leveling gear not be such a joke (here's a ring with stam, hit, and haste... thanks?), but I'm kind of doubting they will since the last two expansions have set a precedent of them being lazy about fixing gear that no longer makes sense (or never did).

forty on
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The only thing that worries me about the goblin starting zone is that it people might think it's a bit too over the top.
    This sounds marvelous to me.
    I may end up going gobbo to the exclusion of my 80s. Ah, hell... gotta grind their professions first. BOO!

And how many Draenei race changes are on deck if/when the hit aura goes poof? Is it still in currently?

Monsty on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mutilate wrote: »
    All gear is throw away in this game. End game gear simply lasts longer before it's replaced. Since the argument is being made that raiding for gear is the reason people raid then I have to ask... if gear is really whats important to you why the hate when new better gear is offered? Is it really because the color of the text is different?

1): It is highly irritating that the gear I (effectively) work a non-paying part-time job to earn will be immediately voided.
    2): The new, revamped Azeroth makes leveling alts now stupid.
    3): I've already got Kingslayer, so really the only thing to do now is grind for rep, mounts, achievements, or titles.
    4): In conclusion, I just paid for six months of an account that offers little compelling reason to log in.

Is Azeroth going to be tuned for 1-60 again or some are 1-60 and revamped zones are 80-85?

EIther way I'm going to be nusting buts as a Goblin name Jawa. I have the name just for this occasion.

McAllen on
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Found this in my spam folder today and had a good laugh.
    Greetings!

Recently, the problem of account invasion is getting worse and worse which cause enormous player¡¯s equipments and virtual
    currency stolen. This severely damages the benefits of mass players, also causes our company lose a lot of customers.

Our company has to adopt some measures to safeguard our common benefits in order to strengthen the safety of mass
    players'accounts, and firmly resist the account to be stolen again.Through our company's research and investigation to xxx
    customers,we will make the following decisions: we launch a package of updated code strengthen system and dynamic code
    protection card which can effectively prevent the accounts invaded. We will send this package of code protection system to
    players free of charge.

Please open this connection: (Obvious haxxor link removed...they spelled it "batt1e dot net")

If your account passes the check successfully, we will send this package of dynamic code protection card to you in the form
    of e-mail.

In 3 days after you receiving the e-mail, if you don't submit your information, we have right to freeze your account, every
    player is obligated to protect the safety of the account. You must work together with us to be determined to crack down all
    the behaviors of destroying games.

If you had already authenticator your account, please disregard this automatic notification.

Regards,

The World of Warcraft Support Team
    Blizzard Entertainment

My favorite part is the "You must work together with us to be determined to crack down all the behaviors of destroying games."

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I always find it kind of mind boggling that they can't find someone who writes english fluently to do these emails

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sounds like they just run this through a translator and call it a day.

Beyond Normal on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I always find it kind of mind boggling that they can't find someone who writes english fluently to do these emails

Why would they need to? They are obviously catching enough fish with this hook to keep doing it. I think the more mind boggling part is that anyone still falls for this.

GnomeTank on
This discussion has been closed.