As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quick 360 Question

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
Thinking about upgrading my 20 gig 360 to the new 250 gig slim model.

Can I put my saves on a removable HDD I have lying around and then transfer them onto the new 360 once I have it?

Or do I have to use a USB key?

Bamelin on

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Only if your removable HDD has some way to actually interface with either one. Like a USB enclosure or whatnot.

Synthesis on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Only if your removable HDD has some way to actually interface with either one. Like a USB enclosure or whatnot.

Um my removeable HDD is one of those standalone units. I originally bought it for my PS3 to backup my PS3 data on it .... (so yes you can plug it in via USB)

Bamelin on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You'll just have to plug it in and try. The Xbox will reformat the drive to allow copies*, just by the way, so make sure you don't have any important data on it.

*assuming your drive is supported -- Xbox has specific speed capability requirements for which external storage it does or doesn't allow

Dehumanized on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Um my removeable HDD is one of those standalone units. I originally bought it for my PS3 to backup my PS3 data on it .... (so yes you can plug it in via USB)

Then you should be fine. It doesn't have to be a "USB Key" or anything so arbitrary, pretty much any relatively recent USB storage device will work. The Xbox will format it though, keep that in mind.

Synthesis on
    edited June 2010
    Thanks guys!

The only reason I'm even bothering with this is that my current 360 is a refurbed launch unit (the 5th one I've had actually), and it only has a 20 gig drive.

So sick of sending them in to be replaced.

Bamelin on
    edited July 2010
    So I did end up getting the new 250 gig 360 slim. I have to say I don't regret it one bit ... very sexy unit. It's quiet (compared to my jet engine refurb launch unit), it doesn't scratch my discs ... I find it ironic a little ... with the sensor buttons on the new 360 and built in HDD + wireless it reminds me of a PS3 phat.

One other comment ... the built in wireless doesn't seem to have the same range as the old attach on adapter. Something to keep in mind.

Bamelin on