As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Statutory [Rap]

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think it's kind of restrained but I still enjoy it a lot

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Started listening to Royce's Bar Exam 3 mixtape today and got up to "Airplanes (freestyle)", which for some reason is pleasing me greatly. Maybe it's the juxtaposition of the gentle piano samples and his sick lines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0hiHqqmhlQ

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Edit: wrong thread!

MrMister on
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Started listening to Royce's Bar Exam 3 mixtape today and got up to "Airplanes (freestyle)", which for some reason is pleasing me greatly. Maybe it's the juxtaposition of the gentle piano samples and his sick lines:

<3<3<3

Thanks, you just converted me to a Royce fan. Listening to Bar Exam 3 right now and loving it.

I'm sure it's just me, but after a couple of months of not adding anything to the iPod (notably No Ceilings and Adventures of Bobby Ray), I'm having a difficult time finding listening time between Recovery, How I Got Over, Crunk Rock (nice running music) and now Bar Exam.

I need to go into a self-induced coma so I can wake up and listen to Lupe's Lasers, waiting sucks (though not as bad as Detox)

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
    edited June 2010
    I'm glad you dig it! I was going to make this post contain my favourite Royce tracks but I ended up with like eleven youtube links and it was getting unreasonable. I find that his best tracks are sort of scattered across his discography.

And one of my favourites was actually just him featured on someone else's album, and his flow is kind of negligible in it. Elzhi completely murders the track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKcrIGj387w

I am new to this rap thread so I'm trusting Elzhi got the proper love for this when it dropped (2 years ago I think?) but in case it didn't, y'all should give it a listen right now.

.Tripwire. on
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Royce Da 5'9" is awesome. It's a shame that I untill recently only thought of him as "that guy who did a track with eminem".

Julius on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got Bar Exam 3 when it came out and could not at all stand to listen to it. I have no idea why he gave that shit to Whoo Kid, who just made it absolutely unbearable. Then he dropped the No DJ version and I love it.

pyromaniac221 on
    edited June 2010
    I just downloaded the No DJ version, so no complaints. Did the first version you listened to have someone yell their name every 30 seconds on every track? 'Cause fuck that shit.

lordswing on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah every track would start with WHOOOOOOO KIIIIIIIIIIID and he abused a bunch of shitty gunshot noises to the point where he would mute punchlines so that he could throw in five gunshots or something. Add in a bunch of really cheesy Thriller laughter and terrible horror movie screams and you have a DJ who is fucking terrible and I have no idea why the fuck anyone would ever voluntarily put him on anything.

pyromaniac221 on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DJs should be seen and not heard. Period.

desc on
    edited June 2010
    DJs should be DJ Green Lantern.

pyromaniac221 on
    edited June 2010
    Ha ha, yeah, I noticed those when hunting down a youtube upload of Airplanes. Fortunately the DJless release is the one I nabbed first also.

Reminds me of the Royce track Hit Em which I loved off the first Bar Exam. I only found a couple versions of it and they were mad laden with rewinds. Like, so many fucking rewinds. I don't mind that at first but it gets annoying after a while to sit through a minute of the same half bar repeated before getting to the real lyrics. So I had to chop my own version in Audacity to throw onto my media player.

.Tripwire. on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DJs should be DJ Green Lantern.

this. bar exam 2 was awesome with dj green lantern.
    also royce is one of my favorite rappers doing it, glad to hear him getting some love here.

valiance on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    so everyone

I like the new Eminem cd a lot, I don't know what the response to it is in here, last time I stopped in everyone was down on him but apparently everyone was at the time (I hadn't heard a new cd of his since like, his second, I don't listen much to rap)

but as said I'm enjoying it and want to expand from here. I like the little of lil wayne on the album, just in the start of one song, so if I was to pursue that what's good?

the only other rap album I have from the last... 5 years is Lupe Fiasco's the Cool, which I mean I don't know if that's considered good or bad or whatever but I like it a lot.

I don't know why I'm nervous about enjoying this stuff but I feel the need to tread carefully here!

thanks folks.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited June 2010
    I'd check out The Carter 1 and 2, those albums remind me most of Wayne's spot in No Love.

If you liked Lupe, you have to give a listen to Food & Liquor his debut album. I'd check out B.O.B's Adventures of Bobby Ray and Kid Cudi's Man on the Moon as well.

lordswing on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I thought Wayne was pretty terrible in No Love...Em totally outclassed him in a major way there. Not a Wayne hater or anything, I just thought it was a really lazy verse.

I am loving the new Eminem album. His best since Eminem Show for sure.

LockedOnTarget on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh hey again rap thread. Thanks for reminding me I need to hear the new Roots album. Really liking the new Drake album. Not really my usual style but oh them beats them beats!

Got the new em CD but haven't listened to it yet.

Oh and for shits and tickles, here's my favorite Royce track. It's old. Like me.
    Brrrrra Stick Up Stick Up!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited June 2010
    Check out Below the Heavens by Blu & Exile, I can't stop listening to that album. So good. Also if you liked Lupe you'll probably enjoy Shad, he's got a great clear flow and his lyrics are extremely entertaining. I'd recommend The Old Prince by him and if you like it, check out T.S.O.L. which is also great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-mAMH5S6VA

pyromaniac221 on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    but as said I'm enjoying it and want to expand from here. I like the little of lil wayne on the album, just in the start of one song, so if I was to pursue that what's good?

The thing with Lil Wayne is that his mixtapes are usually a LOT better than his albums (not that Tha Carter II and III didn't have inspired moments, but they were pretty scattershot IMO). And luckily, you can get the mixtapes free and legally! Check out Da Drought 3, Tha Carter III Mixtape, and No Ceilings.

Also, I have to second pyromaniac's suggestion of Blu and Exile's "Below the Heavens". Everyone should listen to that, regardless of what kind of rap they like.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
    edited June 2010
    Yeah yeah! Seconded (thirded) on Below the Heavens and Shad, that's dope shit. Loved Exile's production on that album.

This probably will get BotP'd but at least that means I can just stack up the youtube clips without really affecting the flow of the page - anyone here hear the latest from PackFM? The album's "I Fucking Hate Rappers", you can get it on iTunes now or wait for the physical drop later in July. Album's got me entertained. There's an overarching and progressing theme that governs the tracks, and his comedic skits I found to be tolerable, which is more than I can usually say about skit tracks in general.

But bottom line is there's plenty of clever lyricism and some sweet production on a few of the tracks. I submit for your consideration:

Edit: Oh fuck, I spent so long posting I ended up on top of the page anyways. Spoilered the videos for ease of scrolling. Also botp:
    Variable wrote: »

The thing with Lil Wayne is that his mixtapes are usually a LOT better than his albums (not that Tha Carter II and III didn't have inspired moments, but they were pretty scattershot IMO). And luckily, you can get the mixtapes free and legally! Check out Da Drought 3, Tha Carter III Mixtape, and No Ceilings.

Also, I have to second pyromaniac's suggestion of Blu and Exile's "Below the Heavens". Everyone should listen to that, regardless of what kind of rap they like.

.Tripwire. on
    edited June 2010
    That's some good shit, I'll cop his album later

pyromaniac221 on
    edited June 2010
    That's some good shit, I'll cop his album later

If you do, remember a third of the tracklist is skits, so it's really only ten songs deep. Still good though.

.Tripwire. on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    thanks everyone

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, if anyone likes Bay Area-style rap, Crown City Rockers may be worth checking out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXtJRv36ttU

As well as anyone in Quannum, including Blackalicious and Lyrics Born.

Wazza on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Copped the Blu & Exile - hot shit right here. Good call rap thread, good call.

firewaterword on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG6PkPFGTjY

This video turned me on to People Under the Stairs

TL DR on
    edited July 2010
    It's even better on the OST album. One of my favorites for sure. So goddamn chill.

firewaterword on
    edited July 2010
    pyromaniac221 on
    edited July 2010
    Zion I is great. They did a free show with Ozomatli at UCSC while I was there. It was fucking stupendous.

firewaterword on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Speaking of Zion I. Maybe someone can jog my memory on an album.

I've been trying to remember the name of this MC for like a year, and I'm drawing a blank. Anything I can think of to describe dude would sound really vague and not helpful. I always mentally associate him with Zion I because I used to listen to their albums back to back nonstop circa 2003-04ish.

Dude had a kind of nasal voice, not exactly a backpacker thing but it was on the snooty intellectual tip. He had a track with a female MC that I think was simply called "fire" which doesn't work very well as a google search.

He had another track on the album that I thought was produced by Vadim, with three different beats, one per verse, the last of which was all sitar-ed out, and at the end of the song it fades out and a guy says to the MC, "Oh, my bad man, you were the vibe."

I can only remember fragments of lyrics and none of them are bringing up anything on google. "Are those suction cups and barbed hooks for labor saving / what do you mean? / no ..."

Arrrghhh.

desc on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    <3 Zion I!

Hey, someone at a party mentioned that Kanye was putting out a new joint with the intent of saying something like "I popularized Auto-Tune and it is terrible and you should all feel bad". Anyone heard about this?

TL DR on
    edited July 2010
    If it's named B.O.A. I will personally strangle him.

On the subject of Kanye, I was never a huge fan of his voice but I thought Power was pretty good, good enough to interest me in Good Ass Job at least. The beat on it went so hard

pyromaniac221 on
    edited July 2010
    wutangpizza1167896.jpg

TL DR on
    edited July 2010
    Everything off of Big Boi's new album is so great. SO great

pyromaniac221 on
    edited July 2010
    desc wrote: »
    Speaking of Zion I. Maybe someone can jog my memory on an album...

RANDOM GUESS! Was it Lifesavas?

Also, the Drake album is still fucking awesome and getting better each time I hear it.

Also also Power is pretty goddamn hot!

Oh and since it's friday evening here, get 'choo pumped up!

firewaterword on
    edited July 2010
    I thought the Drake album was kind of disappointing. I hope he gets the hell away from Young Money.

In other news, everyone buy Sir Lucious Left Foot. It's out now, and it's so fucking good.

pyromaniac221 on
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wutangpizza1167896.jpg

Best. Thing. Ever.

Julius on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Everything off of Big Boi's new album is so great. SO great

I didn't know he had a new one out... must find.

Going to jump in on the Zion-I love, still some of the best energy I've ever felt at a show.

Prospicience on
  • ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought the Drake album was kind of disappointing. I hope he gets the hell away from Young Money.

In other news, everyone buy Sir Lucious Left Foot. It's out now, and it's so fucking good.

Shutterbugg is really good, its just a quality album.

Now can him and 3K get to work on a collab now please!

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
    edited July 2010
    Andre's verses on Royal Flush and Looking For Ya were incredible, I want a new Outkast album so badly

pyromaniac221 on