As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ok so I own Defense Grid, which is totally rad. But are there any other solid tower defense games available on Steam? Oh I also own Plants vs Zombies already.

Speaking of PvZ. . .

Dear PopCap,

Please release more content and levels for PvZ.

Love,

Lucas

Have you bought the Defense Grid DLC that just came out? That'd get you more maps to play if you haven't

Yeah, I actually did get those during this very sale. Playing Defense Grid again has sparked my hunger for more tower defense games.

Give the Sol Survivor demo a shot. It's $5 on steam right now and its pretty decent. A bit more involved than Defense Grid, more towers, more orbital laser like powers (including a focus fire one), the graphics are a bit dated but good enough. I've played about 4 missions of it and the only one thing that is really bugging me is the lack of a fast forward and some idea of what type of waves are next.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wonder why Steam is selling them together in a bundle for 12 bucks then, it was pretty confusing for a while there. So if I am buying Pirates it just means that I will only be missing out on the original campaign or something right?

Peas on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Veevee wrote: »
    Someone convince me not to get borderlands + dlc when I already own everything on the 360

Unless they've fixed it, multiplayer is pants on head stupid, and that's being charitable.
    I don't know what was broken before or if it's fixed now, but I've enjoyed Borderlands co-op in the last few months.

Hoz on
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wow, i just tried gothic

wow

that is some horrible shit

?

rndmhero on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    wow, i just tried gothic

wow

?

I'd wager either:

a.) The graphics
    b.) The controls
    c.) The difficulty

Or any combination of the three.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • psychoticdreampsychoticdream Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    wow, i just tried gothic

wow

?

its bad lol

not gouge your eyes out bad but not perfect

psychoticdream on
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Arrath wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »
    So glad I already bought shit, or I would jump on Empire At War. I always auto resolved the land battles but had tons o' fun with space strategy.

This is what I did too. Auto resolve was shitty and would find a way to lose 3 AT-ATs invading a planet held by 3 squads of rebel riflemen, but it was better than doing it myself. Love the hell out of space combat though.

The last land battle I remembered playing, forces were clashing across the map, it looked suitably epic, but was damn boring to play. Then I saw Vader approaching, so I sent Obi Wan with a contingent of soldiers to him. Both of our soldiers stepped back as the two warriors drew their lightsabers, to give them a suitable fighting arena.

Then an AT-AT stepped on Obi Wan.

Hahahaha.

There was a mod that made ground combat passable, in that it added in Capital Ship support. A Star Destroyer had range on most of the map (being like 1km long) and could just rain down death.

In the expansion they added orbital drops from Cap ships, although it wasn't hella death to the entire map, and had a recharge time. You had to have your ships parked in orbit for it to work.

Again, all you bitches need to buy Empire at War, because I fucking love that game. I still have it installed and play it from time to time, because it rocks. Just don't play the pirate faction.

When the original hit we even did some small tournie like thing with the galactic conquest mode, it was pretty damn fun. If everyone hits it up we could do it again!

Also yes, we can skip ground combat. While it's kind of fun with the expansion, the heroes break it. Well...heroes break everything really, it's better just to turn them off.

Granted, I love getting the fucking Executor and wrecking shit, but still.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So the Civ 4 tutorial left me confused and terrified of Computer Sid Meier.

Was it just supposed to drop off at one point saying "expand and find another Civilization"? Because I felt kind of unsure of what to do next, and creepy Sid Meier face wouldn't go away.

Did the same thing with me. I saved it and came back, and when I loaded the save Virtua Sid was gone, and it was basically just me and Gandhi in a normal game of vanilla Civ IV.

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drovek wrote: »
    So, is tomorrow the last day of daily deals, or will there be a new one ON sunday?

They may do a recap on sunday, ie here you get another chance to buy the best deals of the past week.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ugh

X-COM is a horrible game, fuck everyone who gave this cult status. I'd rather have payed £5 to be kicked in the balls than own this shit.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • eauroraeaurora Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bought Saint Row 2 earlier this morning and finally finished downloading.

Christ, should have payed more attention to people complaining about the port.

eaurora on
  • KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    ugh

X-COM is a horrible game, fuck everyone who gave this cult status. I'd rather have payed £5 to be kicked in the balls than own this shit.

Wut

Klorgnum on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I... uh... I'm actually kind of liking Empire at War's ground combat.

Does that make me a bad person?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

I don't know, did you like Force Commander too? If so, then yes.

Unless you also liked Rebellion, in which case, maybe.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • eauroraeaurora Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It was sort of maybe alright. Some heroes are kind of maybe fun. Stormtrooper/equivalent are sort of interesting to micro in large groups.

Vehicles all blew though. Except the flying ones; those are either stupidly overpowered or completely useless like everything else when the enemy has aa.

eaurora on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ugh

D:

WMain00 on
    edited July 2010

No, hating Xcom makes you a bad person.

A soulless husk.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ugh

WHAT?

Professor Phobos on
    edited July 2010
    eaurora wrote: »

It was sort of maybe alright. Some heroes are kind of maybe fun. Stormtrooper/equivalent are sort of interesting to micro in large groups.

Vehicles all blew though. Except the flying ones; those are either stupidly overpowered or completely useless like everything else when the enemy has aa.

It's kind of fun, especially when you bring in the Dark Troopers. The expansion is a MUST for the ground combat to be any kind of decent.

Again, the heroes kind of break things, in both land and space. Land though, their the worst. One hero has a basically unkillable tank/vehicle, and Obi can constaly regen...basically can kill everything on a planet save for large vehicles and Vader with guerilla warfare, it's annoying and painful to watch. I won't even get into Boba's seismic charge and fighters.

Let us play! Does the Steam component work the same MP as the original? If so, give me info, and we shall Galactic Conquest!

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ugh

What's that? Rami has been mind-controlled by a sectoid?

GUYS, WE NEED TO KILL RAMI

Jintor on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is it at all possible that the people who enjoy X-Com are also people who enjoyed it when it first came out, or soon after?

Because I tried it, and got turned off straight away. Perhaps nostalgia plays an important part in its continued fan-base.

Centipeed on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All this talk of The Guild is getting me all excited. FOR A GAME I CANNOT AFFORD TO GET GUYS!
    Quit talking awesome about games I can't get! (yet).

Fucking Just Cause 2 better drop and it better be more than 50% off.

Big Classy on
    edited July 2010
    Hey, I hear Space Rangers 2 is really good. I recall wanting to get it awhile back back it had Securom issues. Anyone know if the Steam version packs Securom crap?

Also, is anyone still playing Borderlands Co-Op? I never got into it, and I might pick it up if you folks are still on it.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Centipeed wrote: »
    Is it at all possible that the people who enjoy X-Com are also people who enjoyed it when it first came out, or soon after?

Because I tried it, and got turned off straight away. Perhaps nostalgia plays an important part in its continued fan-base.

Nope. The only X-COM I ever played and even heard of until recently was Enforcer. Then I got the original and it's fantastic, a real shame there's nothing else out there close to that perfection.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

No, i've only played XCOM very recently and enjoyed it as a sort of quick fun game. Once you get past the initial confusement is rather easy to pick up and play.

WMain00 on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, aside from the graphics and sound, X-Com has dated pretty well.
    Those two could really, really do with fixing, though.

Xagarath on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The thing about XCOM is that it will rape you

And you won't be able to do anything about it

Once you get used to that it's not a bad game!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    alset85 wrote: »

Nope. The only X-COM I ever played and even heard of until recently was Enforcer. Then I got the original and it's fantastic, a real shame there's nothing else out there close to that perfection.

Jagged Alliance 2 not only comes close, it's better than X-COM, and by a pretty wide margin.

-SPI- on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Ok so I own Defense Grid, which is totally rad. But are there any other solid tower defense games available on Steam? Oh I also own Plants vs Zombies already.

Speaking of PvZ. . .

Dear PopCap,

Please release more content and levels for PvZ.

Love,

Lucas

Have you bought the Defense Grid DLC that just came out? That'd get you more maps to play if you haven't

Yeah, I actually did get those during this very sale. Playing Defense Grid again has sparked my hunger for more tower defense games.

Give the Sol Survivor demo a shot. It's $5 on steam right now and its pretty decent. A bit more involved than Defense Grid, more towers, more orbital laser like powers (including a focus fire one), the graphics are a bit dated but good enough. I've played about 4 missions of it and the only one thing that is really bugging me is the lack of a fast forward and some idea of what type of waves are next.

Another interesting tower defense-like game on Steam is Harvest: Massive Encounter. It's a bit different from what you'd expect, though. There's a demo here. Unfortunately it hasn't been discounted on Steam during this sale.

SteevL on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    All this talk of The Guild is getting me all excited. FOR A GAME I CANNOT AFFORD TO GET GUYS!
    Quit talking awesome about games I can't get! (yet).

Fucking Just Cause 2 better drop and it better be more than 50% off.

The Guild finally started clicking for me. Three generations running five businesses, one on the council in London as the jailer. My scholar poisons the well so the city has to buy tea from his shop to get better, while his niece harasses council members and tortures rival dynasties. The employees at their houses shadow people and talk to the citizens, collecting evidence so that she may arrest them. Her brother provides clothes for the populace and puts up bulletins disparaging council members to allow my jailer to advance up the political ladder. The pickpockets I have in the next city supply a steady income while my church sways the masses. The highwaymen shut down trade that isn't mine along routs I need to secure for maximum profits from my potions and books.

This game? This fucking game? Is awesome.

Docshifty on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »

Jagged Alliance 2 not only comes close, it's better than X-COM, and by a pretty wide margin.

This is absolutely true in every way. In fact, I would even say that JA2 is about perfect.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
    edited July 2010
    MegaMek wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »

This is absolutely true in every way. In fact, I would even say that JA2 is about perfect.

But JA2 does only a third of what X-COM did. Where's the base management, the tech research and the political juggling?

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, where did all that tedious nonsense go?

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
    edited July 2010

Well that's where we have to aggree to disaggree. What you call tedious nonsense I call core gameplay.

alset85 on

Steam ID
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I played for the first time about two months ago

It's fantastic

Jintor on
    edited July 2010

What? Base management and tech research are integral parts of Xcom. The fact that all of these things are combined so elegantly is what makes Xcom the game it is. It is also where other similar games usually stumble and fail.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Sorcha RavenlockSorcha Ravenlock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I'm going through the games that haven't been daily sales but are on sale at the moment. I'm looking for a fun hack'n'slash action RPG, and I already own Titan Quest and Torchlight.
    How is Dawn of Magic 2? I remember playing the demo of the first game but it didn't seem to impress me enough to pick it up. what's the second one like?

Sorcha Ravenlock on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man, whoever brought up NecroVision in one of the other older threads: Thanks! The game is fantastic for only 3€! Cheesy oneliners, melee/gunplay, gore - It's like watching a B-Movie! :mrgreen:

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Which X-Com games were bad and which one should I start with?

Alegis on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Which X-Com games were bad and which one should I start with?

You should totally start with Terror from the Deep.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
This discussion has been closed.