As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    In preparation for the THQ pack; do I need the original DoW2 installed to play Chaos Rising?

No, it's a stand-alone.

Not having the first one installed may limit your online multiplayer options, though.

Doesn't the THQ pack come with both of them?

Yeah I have the first one already, but not installed.

The expansion is indeed standalone, however you may or may not be able to use the other 4 races in the multiplayer. I am not sure if the game recognizes it in your steam list or installed, but probably the latter. Anyhow installing either takes up the same space I believe, Chaos Rising more or less unlocks the expansion campaign and race for you since the 2.2 update added it all to base DoW2.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    In preparation for the THQ pack; do I need the original DoW2 installed to play Chaos Rising?

No, it's a stand-alone.

Not having the first one installed may limit your online multiplayer options, though.

Doesn't the THQ pack come with both of them?

Yeah I have the first one already, but not installed.

Well, you should be able to play the single-player Chaos Rising campaign (which is much better than the vanilla DOW2 one, if you ask me) and I think play as Chaos in multiplayer.

Since I haven't touched DOW2's multiplayer I dunno if you can play as the other races without vanilla DOW2 installed.

Edit: Oh yeah, that's right, the locked Chaos Rising content was included in a previous DOW2 patch, so if hard drive space is your concern don't worry.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    alset85 wrote: »
    MegaMek wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    alset85 wrote: »
    Centipeed wrote: »
    Is it at all possible that the people who enjoy X-Com are also people who enjoyed it when it first came out, or soon after?

Because I tried it, and got turned off straight away. Perhaps nostalgia plays an important part in its continued fan-base.

Nope. The only X-COM I ever played and even heard of until recently was Enforcer. Then I got the original and it's fantastic, a real shame there's nothing else out there close to that perfection.

Jagged Alliance 2 not only comes close, it's better than X-COM, and by a pretty wide margin.

This is absolutely true in every way. In fact, I would even say that JA2 is about perfect.

But JA2 does only a third of what X-COM did. Where's the base management, the tech research and the political juggling?

Political juggling? Pretty early into the game you can just let all the balls drop when funding becomes inconsequential compared to sales of goods. It's not really an integral part of the game, except maybe in Apocalypse.
    So JA2 is $7 on Steam right now. Is that a thing that you people are telling me I need to buy or what?

In this case, you actually want the GOG version. The Steam version is borked up somehow.

I thought they fixed the steam version, I'm pretty sure it works with the 1.13 patch now.

Fats on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Still can't bring myself to appreciate Beat Hazard. Your stream of projectiles is far too bright and wide, completely obscuring any attacks that are coming in on you (which also happen to look exactly like the pulsating stars in the background). Good thing they destroy you in one hit!

And I think I'd have problems with X-Com too, so I've been putting off trying that for ages. People's fond memories of it raping you, obliterating your men before you even understand what's going on, sounds like total bullshit. That doesn't make the game hardcore it makes it a nuisance that can go suck a dick.

Challenge is about presenting a player with clearly defined obstacles and having them react within a reasonable amount of time/devise the right countermeasure to succeed. It shouldn't be about throwing losses at the player until they manage to just scrape by.

You should probably stop trying to preach at length on subjects you know little about - in this case, X-Com, and what about it actually makes it difficult, and good.

Ketar on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    X COM definitely has an almost Survival Horror feel to the tactical portion of the game. One thing to keep in mind about X COM is that your guys are all total fucking cannon fodder. Yes, even that Officer with the super high PSY score that can hip shot a Chrysalid across the map with a Plasma Cannon in his Flying Power Armor.

I like to try and keep them going as long as possible, but you'll always hit a battle in a game sooner or later where you just have to roll up your sleeves and get ready for the butcher's bill.

And it's always important to keep the Dwarf Fortress Mantra in mind; Losing is Fun. And with X COM at least winning is totally possible.

Drake on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Seriously hoping Mount and Blade: Warband shows up today.

Burnage on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Burnage wrote: »

Well the original M&B is on sale at least!

For... the price I bought it at back in 2005!

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ketar wrote: »
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Still can't bring myself to appreciate Beat Hazard. Your stream of projectiles is far too bright and wide, completely obscuring any attacks that are coming in on you (which also happen to look exactly like the pulsating stars in the background). Good thing they destroy you in one hit!

And I think I'd have problems with X-Com too, so I've been putting off trying that for ages. People's fond memories of it raping you, obliterating your men before you even understand what's going on, sounds like total bullshit. That doesn't make the game hardcore it makes it a nuisance that can go suck a dick.

Challenge is about presenting a player with clearly defined obstacles and having them react within a reasonable amount of time/devise the right countermeasure to succeed. It shouldn't be about throwing losses at the player until they manage to just scrape by.

You should probably stop trying to preach at length on subjects you know little about - in this case, X-Com, and what about it actually makes it difficult, and good.

X-Com was about a third of that not actually lengthy post, and clearly more a challenge to what people are remembering as quality than a definitive criticism of a game I already acknowledged as having not played within the same measly paragraph. Drake already informed me of the nature of the constant dying, which makes more sense.

You should probably stop trying to discourage legitimate criticisms of game design because you saw a favourite game title mentioned.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The deals are pretty meh. :?

Is Warband a big improvement on the original? M&B is the only thing that's interesting for me this time.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Between Just cause 2 and |Metro 2033 today. JC2 is my most favourite but I can't run it without win7 whereas Metro 2033 I can run it and I was a huge fan of Stalker. GAH!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

God damn it, Steam

God damn it

Burnage on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

:?

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Man, it must suck to be at work on a Saturday. But hey, at least you have a job. Which makes you money.

Which you can spend on the following Saturday Steam sales-o-the-day!

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse for $17.49 (50% off)
    Freedom Force Pack for $1.87 (75% off)
    World Of Goo for $5.00 (75% off)
    Metro 2033 for $24.99 (50% off)
    Portal for $1.99 (90% off)
    Just Cause 2 for $24.99 (50% off)
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 for $33.49 (33% off)
    Devil May Cry 4 for $7.50 (75% off)
    Mount & Blade for $10.20 (66% off)

GOOOOO!

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Freedom Force pack is kinda interesting, but I think I'm just gonna wait and see what shows up tomorrow.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That reminds me, I was showing a friend M&B Warband today and I found a siege server with like 167 players on it. It was pretty fucking crazy.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

:?

Was Warband always 50% off this sale?

Adellios on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    well we're all poor now

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

God damn it, Steam

God damn it

Oh hey Warband is 50% off. It's just not shown on the front page.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/48700/

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    33% is not much of a sale, but I'm still kinda tempted to get Bad Company 2 at this point, I've been really good about restraining myself during this sale.

Darlan on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Warband is also 50% at 14.99

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Warband's been 50% off for the entire sale. That's not a daily.

I was just hoping for a larger discount, because I'm cheap!

Burnage on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah it was always 50% off. Was hoping for a bigger discount though, as I'm not sure I want to pay $15 when I already own the original. I would be good with 10 though.

Oh well, JC2 bought! :D

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    33% is not much of a sale, but I'm still kinda tempted to get Bad Company 2 at this point, I've been really good about restraining myself during this sale.

I can almost guarantee Bad Company 2 will be discounted even more come Christmas. I'd wait if you're not absolutely dying to play it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The Freedom Force pack is kinda interesting, but I think I'm just gonna wait and see what shows up tomorrow.

For less than $2, it's worth it just to revel in the Kirby pastiche art design.

Plus, the last day of the sale will almost certainly just be a second chance greatest hits deal.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So Just Cause 2 or Metro 2033, which should I buy?

I know Just Cause 2 is an awesome sandbox game, what's Metro 2033 like?

parabola on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So who the fuck doesn't have Portal at this point?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Especially after it's been free not long ago. o_O

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    parabola wrote: »
    So Just Cause 2 or Metro 2033, which should I buy?

I know Just Cause 2 is an awesome sandbox game, what's Metro 2033 like?

STALKER only much more linear and more atmospheric. I'm in the same dilemma between thsoe two. I don't have a DX10 OS so Just cause 2 is losing out despite being the only game I've been itching to get a hold of.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

Especially after it's been free not long ago. o_O

Now for the retards who didn't buy it during the Christmas sale or during the Mac Steam release present.

Couscous on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm, there are a lot of things I want here, but I don't really want any of them badly enough to justify the fact that they're being discounted from full price as new games.

A lot of my friends have Bad Company 2, and Just Cause 2 sounds awesome, plus I love Sam and Max. But, I really feel like I've spent enough this sale. Even world of goo is $5 too much, considering that I still have a list of games I want tomorrow.

Of course I'm not disappointed, just broke.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Quick, someone tell me about Mount & Blade. It looks interesting, but I've never heard of it before.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Hmm, there are a lot of things I want here, but I don't really want any of them badly enough to justify the fact that they're being discounted from full price as new games.

A lot of my friends have Bad Company 2, and Just Cause 2 sounds awesome, plus I love Sam and Max. But, I really feel like I've spent enough this sale. Even world of goo is $5 too much, considering that I still have a list of games I want tomorrow.

Of course I'm not disappointed, just broke.

This sums up my sentiments exactly. Some decent offerings today, but the discounts aren't quite low enough to warrant an impulse buy.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Quick, someone tell me about Mount & Blade. It looks interesting, but I've never heard of it before.

It's basically Oblivion-esque combat meets a bit of Total War. You can go to the main M&B site and download an unlimited demo of it that lets you get to level 6 to try it out.

If you like it, you may as well spring a few more dollars and grab Warband instead.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Damn I know i could afford both metro and Just cause 2 but they're both breaking my $10 limit. The responsible thing would be to get one and wait for metro to be on sale around christmas.

I am thinking about adding DMC4 though. How was that on the PC? Guessing i'd need a controller to enjoy it.

EDIT: by the way the JC2 DLC is all 50% off so it's like 4.50 for all of it. are any of those things worth it?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Looks like there's a demo available.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It's a mix between strategy, third person combat and RPG. You can command armies, own castles and towns, try yourself at diplomacy and such.

Ferrus on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, so I'm definitely getting Just Cause 2, but I don't really know about the DLC. It's less than 5€ for all of it, so maybe I should just go for it.

I'm somewhat considering DMC4 even though I already have a disc copy. It would be nice to be able to play it without the disc, but since I've already beaten it multiple times I probably wouldn't play it much in the future.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This is really strange. I was all set to drop the £14.99 on Just Cause 2 but now Saturdays finally arrived it's like 'Why?'
    I don't have a PC capable of playing it anyway so it would just be sat there and by the time I get round to buying Win7 it'll be dirt cheap. I'd rather just wait.

FINALLY! SOME SENSIBILITY THROUGH THIS MADNESS!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Damn I know i could afford both metro and Just cause 2 but they're both breaking my $10 limit. The responsible thing would be to get one and wait for metro to be on sale around christmas.

I am thinking about adding DMC4 though. How was that on the PC? Guessing i'd need a controller to enjoy it

The thing about Devil May Cry 4, and this is a personal qualm and not necessarily a universally accepted fact, is that you spend about 70% of the game playing as a character who is not Dante. That really bothers me. Then when you finally do get to play as Dante, all the work you put into building up the other guy is basically thrown out the window.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Crush your enemies.

Drive them before you.

Hear the lamentations of their women.

Drake on
This discussion has been closed.