As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Comic: May 2

DienekesDienekes Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Social Entropy++
20070502.jpg

Dienekes on

• SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    GRAAAAAAA

AWESOME COMIC!!

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Eye see what they did there.

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • DienekesDienekes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i am pretty creeped out by web cams too

i turn mine away from me if i am not actively using it, even when i know it's off

Dienekes on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Eye of Judgement looks pretty damn hot though.
    4b056387ca54701d55ec86c526916a426f4b40d1.jpg

6eb2f54ca29b38ae50b2743f326116892ef75fde.jpg

5abf51852d43c24fef319e80b10c5b05216a3d06.jpg

Synthetic Orange on
  • DienekesDienekes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i'm not really in to card games but the gimmick would probably be enough to sell me on it if i already owned a ps3

Dienekes on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    eye's expression in the third panel is visageless

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wireless, eh?

Highfire on
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ertd.jpg

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Berk...you may be my first mancrush.

Firematic. on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did Tycho actually get balder in this one?

TM2 Rampage on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh man the new XKCD is awesome

online_communities_small.png

Alt text
    I'm waiting for the day when, if you tell someone 'I'm from the internet', instead of laughing they just ask 'oh, what part?'

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Solid_Snake-aSolid_Snake-a Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    tfs did it better

Solid_Snake-a on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There are many eye-lids in that comic. Lower eye lids. There's like six of them.I think this is becoming Gabe's new thing.

Also: LOL Blogipeligo

TankHammer on
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    4chan is not on that map because it's UNDERGROUND

Iskander on
  • FenriJamesFenriJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    4chan is on the map, though.

look to the bottom right of WoW

FenriJames on
  • BasicBasic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh man I so raced to post the new xkcd.

The PA comic is also :^:; and so is Berk's version.

Basic on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    FenriJames wrote: »
    4chan is on the map, though.

look to the bottom right of WoW

4chan is right next to 2channel..

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I will not be happy until SE++ is on that map near the anthropomorphic dragons.

Hunter on
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hunter wrote: »
    I will not be happy until SE++ is on that map near the anthropomorphic dragons.

i think i got an idea for a new meme

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    2channel is bigger than that. Fuckers.

[/weeaboo]

ihd on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Comic, win, awesome, god, etc.

:^::^::^::^:

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Oh man the new XKCD is awesome

online_communities_small.png

Alt text
    I'm waiting for the day when, if you tell someone 'I'm from the internet', instead of laughing they just ask 'oh, what part?'

Is it a bad thing that I am kinda disappointed that PA isn't on there?

BoredGamer on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    :^: comic.

I was really wondering what the camera could do for the game, though. I mean it really seems like a gimmick, plus it actually limits gameplay because there's no way for the game to know what the player's deck looks like; games like Magic where it matters what card pops up in your hand each turn can't really use this, because a player could just pull out any card at any time and the system has no way to know.

So it seems like that ability would have to be part of the game. Maybe, like, you have 1000 "points" of monsters you can pull out during a game, and you can only have 100 "points" of monsters on the table at a time. That would work; the game has the built-in assumption that you are looking through your deck for the best card on every turn.

Positioning the cards spatially is a pretty cool idea, but once again, players have the physical freedom to move cards as they see fit. Technically, the game COULD be like "no, you can't move that card that far in one turn" but that would probably get annoying. So overall, it basically just looks like a really cool card-recognizing camera system, but not really like something that will help make the game more interesting.

EDIT: One use for spatial positioning might be that you drop new cards on the field and they have rules like "this card has to touch another existing card" (sort of like Illuminati), and once a card is placed, you can't move it and the game simply will not register a new position (even if you physically move it) unless you tell the game "I am using my turn to move this card."

Defender on
  • Abdul the TerribleAbdul the Terrible Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well we can make it there.

And make it in the shape of a sloppy penis.

Abdul the Terrible on
    Ashban1.jpg
  • CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    PA comic was hilarious. I imagined the Sauron type roaring coming from it and it made me lol.

The map also is brilliant, I wish there was a wallpaper sized version, preferably widescreen, preferably with PA on it.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    :^: comic.

I was really wondering what the camera could do for the game, though. I mean it really seems like a gimmick, plus it actually limits gameplay because there's no way for the game to know what the player's deck looks like; games like Magic where it matters what card pops up in your hand each turn can't really use this, because a player could just pull out any card at any time and the system has no way to know.

So it seems like that ability would have to be part of the game. Maybe, like, you have 1000 "points" of monsters you can pull out during a game, and you can only have 100 "points" of monsters on the table at a time. That would work; the game has the built-in assumption that you are looking through your deck for the best card on every turn.

Positioning the cards spatially is a pretty cool idea, but once again, players have the physical freedom to move cards as they see fit. Technically, the game COULD be like "no, you can't move that card that far in one turn" but that would probably get annoying. So overall, it basically just looks like a really cool card-recognizing camera system, but not really like something that will help make the game more interesting.

EDIT: One use for spatial positioning might be that you drop new cards on the field and they have rules like "this card has to touch another existing card" (sort of like Illuminati), and once a card is placed, you can't move it and the game simply will not register a new position (even if you physically move it) unless you tell the game "I am using my turn to move this card."

After the e3 demo last year I was all like 'gimmick lol' but seeing the new videos on gamespot I am pretty intrigued. It, well, looks amazing and really fun. I think down the line when the interface and the camera itself is improved (basically less intrusive and more slimline) I will be totally down for it.

I must say, it does look pretty fun.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shouldn't SomethingAwful be bigger?

I mean it's at least bigger than YTMND aka SPAAARTA

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited May 2007
    How is the camera intrusive? You mean it's too big?

Anyway, I do believe that this device is mostly a gimmick. The advantages I can see it having are basically two:

1) It's faster to pull a card from a deck than to go through a menu system and pick a card.

2) It's faster and more user-controllable to drop the card on a table than to position it with dual-analogs.

It may also be more viscerally satisfying to place the card, but that's a pretty poor reason, because that kind of thing tends to wear off fast. Also, visceral feeling and immersion are primarily created through gameplay or story, not input device, even though input device can help.

Defender on
  • The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Shouldn't SomethingAwful be bigger?

I mean it's at least bigger than YTMND aka SPAAARTA
    Tha made me wonder too. Also, 4chon should be right in the middle of the Sea of Memes

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Would it not be better though if we just believed 4chan to be the mythical Atlantis and hope to god it gets washed out in some kind of world ending catastrophy?

DrZiplock on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    One of the best thing is that SA /. Fark Digg and ytmnd are all on the "Bay of Trolls". That got a good laugh out of me.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Defender the reason it's cool is because when you put the cards down monsters emerge and fight from them.

Seriously you're putting too much thought into this.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Defender the reason it's cool is because when you put the cards down monsters emerge and fight from them.

Wow, for serious? Like... they animate the monsters climbing out of the cards? That would be sickawesome!

TankHammer on
  • GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    edited May 2007
    Glad you like this one, we recorded the writing as a podcast. I think it should go up sometime later today.

Gabriel on
    edited May 2007

Wow, for serious? Like... they animate the monsters climbing out of the cards? That would be sickawesome!

Like, you point the camera at the table. The camera can recognize cards. The game can then use the camera's recognition of your cards as game data, meaning that it can draw a battlefield on the screen (instead of drawing your table), and then it can figure out where on the screen your card is, and draw, like, a big dragon there or something.

Pata, I'm not putting too much thought into it. You're not putting enough thought in. Just "oh hey this looks cool" is not sufficient thought, because if that's as far as you go, you'll get suckered into every gimmick that gets boring after ten minutes because you are buying the marketing instead of buying the actual product.

Defender on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You're still putting too much thought into it.

I'm not even interested in card games mostly and I still think it looks cool.

It's just meant to be a clever way of using the Eye-toy.

Odds are it'll just be a regular turn based card game with a cool visual effect.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited May 2007
    You're still putting too much thought into it.

I'm not even interested in card games mostly and I still think it looks cool.

It's just meant to be a clever way of using the Eye-toy.

It is a clever use of the Eye-Toy. It is a graphically neat thing. But I am not overthinking it.

EDIT: Seriously, it took like two minutes of thought to come up with this. What the hell? How is that overthinking? It takes more than two minutes for me to earn enough money to buy an Eye Toy, so I'm pretty sure I'm not overthinking here.

Defender on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Gabriel wrote: »
    Glad you like this one, we recorded the writing as a podcast. I think it should go up sometime later today.

oh man, awesome. I fucking love those podcasts.

Thanks for not darkening the lower eyelids any more, it makes a big difference.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • DJDMDJDM Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's no Bushido Blade but anything with an eye is sweet.

DJDM on
    GameDemoAnimation101806.gif
    edited May 2007
    DJDM wrote: »
    It's no Bushido Blade but anything with an eye is sweet.

Now that was a really nice game. I wish they had let you play as "Same Character Vs Same Character" as Street Fighter called it. The inability to have mirror matches was kind of annoying, especially since each character had two costumes.

Defender on
This discussion has been closed.