As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Quick, someone tell me about Mount & Blade. It looks interesting, but I've never heard of it before.

Sandboxy battlefield combat game. Wander around the world, build up an army, and use that army to beat the shit out of other armies. Action is first-person, you can wade into combat yourself and slaughter enemies, though your health is fairly low so you have to be careful not to be hit too often.

jothki on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am thinking about adding DMC4 though. How was that on the PC? Guessing i'd need a controller to enjoy it

PC version of DMC4 is great, but yes you do pretty much need a controller. The PC version has a turbo mode that speeds the game up by 20% and special Legendary Dark Knight difficulty that absolutely swarms you with enemies. There's a demo available, but it isn't on Steam.

Peewi on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Damn I know i could afford both metro and Just cause 2 but they're both breaking my $10 limit. The responsible thing would be to get one and wait for metro to be on sale around christmas.

I am thinking about adding DMC4 though. How was that on the PC? Guessing i'd need a controller to enjoy it

The thing about Devil May Cry 4, and this is a personal qualm and not necessarily a universally accepted fact, is that you spend about 70% of the game playing as a character who is not Dante. That really bothers me. Then when you finally do get to play as Dante, all the work you put into building up the other guy is basically thrown out the window.

So it's a reverse Sons of Liberty?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just Cause 2 bought!

Freedom Force, by the way, is a very fun little game. Really excellent for playing on a laptop since it's at the right age. Great buy at under $2.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Quick, someone tell me about Mount & Blade. It looks interesting, but I've never heard of it before.

Crush your enemies.

Drive them before you.

Hear the lamentations of their women.

Couch your lances.

Gallop them before you.

Hear the lamentations of their foot soldiers.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Damn I know i could afford both metro and Just cause 2 but they're both breaking my $10 limit. The responsible thing would be to get one and wait for metro to be on sale around christmas.

The thing about Devil May Cry 4, and this is a personal qualm and not necessarily a universally accepted fact, is that you spend about 70% of the game playing as a character who is not Dante. That really bothers me. Then when you finally do get to play as Dante, all the work you put into building up the other guy is basically thrown out the window.

Mmmm. I dunno. Virgil (is that his name? I can't remember) is pretty annoying. I'd say he's better than Raiden, but he's no Snake (or in this case Dante). Yeah, its a lot like MGS2 in that regard.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

That is the feeling of having someone pull a MGS2 on you. It's ok to feel that way.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Mmmm. I dunno. Virgil (is that his name? I can't remember) is pretty annoying. I'd say he's better than Raiden, but he's no Snake (or in this case Dante). Yeah, its a lot like MGS2 in that regard.

Nero and yeah, that feeling you get when you're told to control Dante and completely forget what happened around 7-8 hours earlier is devastating.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My biggest gripe with DMC4, when I played it on the 360, was the fact that they basically mirrored all the levels and bosses after the first half. That seemed... cheap.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Virgil is Dante's dead brother, you mean Nero, who is implied to be Dante's Nephew.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    parabola wrote: »
    So Just Cause 2 or Metro 2033, which should I buy?

I know Just Cause 2 is an awesome sandbox game, what's Metro 2033 like?

STALKER only much more linear and more atmospheric. I'm in the same dilemma between thsoe two. I don't have a DX10 OS so Just cause 2 is losing out despite being the only game I've been itching to get a hold of.

Guess i'm buying Just Cause 2.

parabola on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Playing the loser for 2/3rds of the game and then playing an awesome dude for the last third sounds slightly better than MGS2's bait and switch.

Slightly.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All the Just Cause 2 DLC is on sale too, so if you like the game... and want a hovercraft... eh, let's face it, 50 cents ain't nothing to complain about to screw around with for a couple hours:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8190/

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nothing for me today, just a heads up for people looking at DMC and who aren't dead set on having the steam version, I have seen it at multiple 5 below stores for $3.00 or $5.00 in the past few months.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah. Nero.

So anyway, this is a fair warning that DMC4 pulls a not-quite-as-bad MGS2 on the player.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also: Metro 2033 was hells of fun to anyone on the fence. The AI could be a lot better but, like many eastern european games, it is carved out of solid blocks of atmosphere.

Edit: We're talking about a game where you frequently need a gas mask, and if you aren't careful your mask can get broken in a firefight. This blocks your vision and makes it hard to hear things over your wheezing.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Everyone quit mentioning Just Cause 2 in this here thread!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In other news, I really want to play one of the Sam & Max games. I'm looking at the Telltale Complete Pack because that seems like the most economical decision, but I also don't really want to spend $50 bucks, even if it does score me like 20 episodic games.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Eugh I wish BC2 was more than 33% off. That's hardly a sale at all, but I REALLY love the original battlefield and want more of that style game.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Forget it Isy! You don't have the O/S!

I'm sure JC2 will have its moment in the next Christmas sale anyhow. Also the Square Eidos pack it's a part of will probably get some new additions as well.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Eugh I wish BC2 was more than 33% off. That's hardly a sale at all, but I REALLY love the original battlefield and want more of that style game.

When you say original Battlefield, you mean 1942, right? Because my understanding is that BC2 has evolved so much that it isn't really anything at all like the older BF games. Of course, I've only ever played BC2 so I have no point of comparison.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, I don't give a shit about the characters of Devil May Cry, so $7.50 seems like a decent price for some stylish hard action.

And Just Cause 2 is the impulse buy of the day for me.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It has finally happened. I have rebought a game just to have it on Steam.

With all the games I've bought I should be able to go a month without buying anything new. Unless it's a really good deal.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    .Tripwire. wrote: »

Forget it Isy! You don't have the O/S!

I'm sure JC2 will have its moment in the next Christmas sale anyhow. Also the Square Eidos pack it's a part of will probably get some new additions as well.

I like what you say...... And I like the way you say it!
    By then I'll hopefully pick up Win7 and like you said, the collection will be bursting at the seams with all the awesome games that Eidos are gonna release this year. None that I can think of right now but they're all surprises!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I like to say Mount & Blade is a lot like Sid Meier's Pirates just with knights instead of pirates and horses instead of boats.

Build a large army from nothing then go into real time battles on horse and strike down the other armies. Takes towns and get on the good side of lords then conquer their lands.

So yeah awesome game. Each time I start playing it I lose a week.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I might pass on Just Cause 2. Although I do want that game. Freedom Force might be my only purchase today.
    parabola wrote: »
    So Just Cause 2 or Metro 2033, which should I buy?

I know Just Cause 2 is an awesome sandbox game, what's Metro 2033 like?

STALKER only much more linear and more atmospheric. I'm in the same dilemma between thsoe two. I don't have a DX10 OS so Just cause 2 is losing out despite being the only game I've been itching to get a hold of.
    Yes, it's best to think of Metro 2033 as a linear STALKER or a Ukrainian Half-Life. It's pretty amazing, really.
    übergeek wrote: »

Virgil is Dante's dead brother, you mean Nero, who is implied to be Dante's Nephew.
    Dante refers to Nero as "in the family" once, but I don't know that it necessarily implies that they're related. The bigger implication to me that Nero is being possessed by Vergil.

At any rate, DMC4 on the PC is the best version of the game by far. And it's a pretty awesome game to begin with. If you loved it on the consoles, the PC version gets you not only a graphical boost, but a new difficulty mode that floods you with enemies and the return of DMC3s turbo toggle.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So here's my current situation. My cart is about $30 bucks right now so with my self imposed limit I have $20 left to spend.

My first thought is to add DMC4 and the witcher and be done with it. That's assuming though that the last day will be a greatest hits with that and that steam doesn't pull a huge one over me by putting vampire the masquerade on sale for the first time since halloween the year before i even had steam...

I could get one, then wait till the last day to pick up the witcher, but that sort of takes a gamble on one of the games I've actually wanted for a while now.

Or I could skip the DMC altogether and pick up witcher and maybe another $5-10 game will show up that interests me in the last day.

Hmm, I think i'm talking myself out of devil may cry. I probably know someone who has it on a console i could play if i ever wanted to

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just Cause 2 has been cheaper than that at retail, and it is a steamworks game.

M&B has been cheaper than that a long time ago, and lots inbetween.

Nothing for me today, I hated DMC4 on the 360, don't like telltale games, and obviously already have portal and world of goo.

LewieP on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So here's my current situation. My cart is about $30 bucks right now so with my self imposed limit I have $20 left to spend.

My first thought is to add DMC4 and the witcher and be done with it. That's assuming though that the last day will be a greatest hits with that and that steam doesn't pull a huge one over me by putting vampire the masquerade on sale for the first time since halloween the year before i even had steam...

I could get one, then wait till the last day to pick up the witcher, but that sort of takes a gamble on one of the games I've actually wanted for a while now.

Or I could skip the DMC altogether and pick up witcher and maybe another $5-10 game will show up that interests me in the last day.

Hmm, I think i'm talking myself out of devil may cry. I probably know someone who has it on a console i could play if i ever wanted to
    The last couple sales have ended with a reroll of the previous timed discounts. They might do that same thing again.

Also, it physically pains me every time someone doesn't play a Devil May Cry game. Like, horrifically agonizing agony. You should be aware of that.

Monger on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Skip DMC and get Beyond Good and Evil and Freedom Force for cheaper!

Tav on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hey if i use paypal to do a transfer from my bank does paypal charge me for essentially being too lazy to just type in my atm card number?

EDIT: I already have BG&E and freedom force is in the cart. Also I just found out my friend and soon to be roommate has DMC4 on the 360

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    what the shit, Mount and blade is on sale for more expensive than it has been a year ago but warband did not get the deal of the day sale?!

well that is freaking disappointing

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Holy cow, for being completely under my radar, Mount and Blade sounds awesome. I should get Warband rather than the original, right?

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Metro is such a good game but very hard to play for long periods of time. I complete two levels at a time and then have to take a break for a while. Sometimes a game can be a bit too atmospheric...

Tav on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kind of bummed it wasn't Warband on sale. Cheap Metro and Sam & Max is good stuff though.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Quick question, dudes:

How well have the older Tropico games aged? I already snagged Tropico 3 + Absolute Power. But I'm a sucker for sim games and I'm looking at the Tropico Reloaded pack for $3.39 and thinking to myself that's a pretty good deal if the games are still playable by today's standards.

Of course, if they are broken, don't work well in Vista/Win7 and have any sort of problems, I'm not really interested.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh god.

DMC4 can run on my integrated graphics card.

What perversion hath wrought this monstrosity?

Lucedes on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    tropico 1 is still great, 2 sucks. you're a pirate on a pirate island, it's not nearly as atmospheric

Tropico 3 is basically Tropico 1 but modern engined

I'm really pissed I have the D2D (or maybe some other company's) version of Tropico 3 and the Steam version of the expansion won't work with it.

My same problem with Dawn of Discovery, i have a retail version of that and the steam version of the expansion no workey :(:(:(

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Games I would like to go on sale tomorrow but probably won't:

Psychonauts
    Longest Journey pack

Tav on
  • Options
    ProtoSoundProtoSound Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Metro 2033 on sale is what I wanted. Thanks Steam!

ProtoSound on
    camo_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.