As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    And one would think that since there was a mandatory hold put on the release of the game that they would've taken that time to preen and perfect their product. I'm not really certain why it was released in the buggy state that it was, considering there was a fair amount of time between when the devs had it completed and when they were legally allowed to release it.
    Troika went out of business. They were packing up their offices as content was being finished. The bugfixes that did happen before release and the patches that made it out were done by employees working unpaid.

Monger on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Restarting Steam made has made it start downloading a nearly 500 MB update for Just Cause 2. Hopefully that should fix the problem. Maybe Steam didn't even finish downloading properly, even though it let me launch the game.

Peewi on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm sort of upset having the demo of JC2 already didn't speed up the download of the actual game like a few of the other demos i've gotten before that preload the whole game

initiatefailure on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines ; Colons typically goes on sale during Halloween.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For those on the fence, Battlefield Bad Company 2 (to me at least), by far has the better multiplayer between it and MW2.

Also Just Cause 2. Someone sell me on it. I am not convinced.

projectmayhem on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For those on the fence, Battlefield Bad Company 2 (to me at least), by far has the better multiplayer between it and MW2.

Try the demo. Its basically full free-roam access to the island for like 45 minutes. Do whatever you want in the time allotted.

Lucascraft on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEml-X4n9KQ

-SPI- on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines ; Colons typically goes on sale during Halloween.

Even if it doesn't go on sale, $19.99 for the Steam version is almost certainly cheaper than trying to track down a CD copy, especially since it's been out of print long enough for most retailers to go into full-on gouge mode.

Lawndart on
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Just downloading the demo for Freedom force. I want the entire pack or is just one of the games enough?

The entire pack is two goddamn dollars.

You cannot be that poor.

You clearly have no idea how many games I've already bought :P

In any case the demo for the first one is apparently incompatible with my version of windows o_O
    I have XP, most stuff works.

The demo is from the old, unpatched version - the (auto-patched) Steam versions both work on anything up to Windows 7 just fine. And they're by Irrational - what they did inbetween System Shock 2 and Bioshock. That's gotta be worth something, right?

Bioptic on
    edited July 2010
    I'm downloading out of US-Chicago right now and only pulling like 150kbs. Anyone have a suggestion for a better download region?

Lucascraft on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm downloading out of US-Chicago right now and only pulling like 150kbs. Anyone have a suggestion for a better download region?
    I'm getting 800 from the same server. 8-)

(Not that I have a fancy connection or anything)

Darlan on
    edited July 2010

Even if it doesn't go on sale, $19.99 for the Steam version is almost certainly cheaper than trying to track down a CD copy, especially since it's been out of print long enough for most retailers to go into full-on gouge mode.
    As I recall, retail copies have a bug that makes the game not install on x64 operating systems, anyway. There's a fixed installer around, but you have to go through the trouble of burning a new disk and everything.

Monger on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    apparently a 15mb connection means i can only download about 90KB/s between the 4 games i'm installing and the one that's updating to add in the dlc

initiatefailure on
    edited July 2010
    Bleh.

My OCD is annoyed:

SteamList.jpg

Why does Empire At War not have an icon like the rest of my games?!

Lucascraft on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Just downloading the demo for Freedom force. I want the entire pack or is just one of the games enough?

You cannot be that poor.

In any case the demo for the first one is apparently incompatible with my version of windows o_O

The demo is from the old, unpatched version - the (auto-patched) Steam versions both work on anything up to Windows 7 just fine. And they're by Irrational - what they did inbetween System Shock 2 and Bioshock. That's gotta be worth something, right?

Ah. Well, that's good to hear. I wasn't sure whether to buy it because the demo said it wasn't compatible, but in that case... eh, it's just 2 euros.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    edited July 2010
    Monger wrote: »

As I recall, retail copies have a bug that makes the game not install on x64 operating systems, anyway. There's a fixed installer around, but you have to go through the trouble of burning a new disk and everything.

Crap, really? Since I've held on to my CD copy but have since upgraded to Win7 64.

I guess the next time I'm tempted to re-install I can sell the CD copy on Ebay and use the profits to buy the Steam version.

Lawndart on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just have to say it, the Civ IV: Beyond the Sword mod Final Frontier is amazing.

Zerokku on
    edited July 2010
    You should buy the Steam version now while its on sale for only $2. It won't be that cheap the next time you're in the mood to play it.

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2010
    You should buy the Steam version now while its on sale for only $2. It won't be that cheap the next time you're in the mood to play it.

I already have the Steam version of the Freedom Force pack, from a few sales back.

I don't have the Steam version of Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Excessive Punctuation since I still have the CD version I bought at launch and until now didn't know that it didn't install on x64 operating systems.

$20 is still a bit too steep for me since I've already played it a bunch of times, but for anyone who hasn't, it's well worth the cash.

Lawndart on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drascin wrote: »
    Bioptic wrote: »

You cannot be that poor.

Ah. Well, that's good to hear. I wasn't sure whether to buy it because the demo said it wasn't compatible, but in that case... eh, it's just 2 euros.

I caved and bought it. I guess Vampires and Batman will have to be under the £14 mark. For the record, it might not be expensive, but then neither are the dozens of other games that are also awesome on steam. It all adds up guys. That and I have no willpower and cave. I've bought so much games I already owned on other consoles or played through before.

Big Classy on
    edited July 2010
    Maybe Troika blew too much of their budget on semi-colons and subtitles? They might still be in business if they had picked a simpler name!

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2010
    Ok so question. Red Faction, Borderlands and BC2 are the 'newest' PC games in my collection. All three seem to have trouble running at a solid frame rate. Red Faction is very choppy set on high, and choppy at moments on medium. Borderlands by default was set on high everything and was less than silky smooth.

I am headed over to Frys today and what part, if any, could I replace to get better performance?

Intel Core2Quad Q800 @ 2.33 / 2.34 GHz
    6 GIG DDR3 Ram
    ATI 4770 HD with 512 MB

Could I drop say 150$ on a new card and be fine? If so...what new card?

projectmayhem on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok so question. Red Faction, Borderlands and BC2 are the 'newest' PC games in my collection. All three seem to have trouble running at a solid frame rate. Red Faction is very choppy set on high, and choppy at moments on medium. Borderlands by default was set on high everything and was less than silky smooth.

I am headed over to Frys today and what part, if any, could I replace to get better performance?

Intel Core2Quad Q800 @ 2.33 / 2.34 GHz
    6 GIG DDR3 Ram
    ATI 4770 HD with 512 MB

Could I drop say 150$ on a new card and be fine? If so...what new card?

A 5770.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2010
    I want to get JC2 but the demo was hit by a steam bug where moving the mouse caused a slight freeze, making the game unplayable. I don't want to buy the game and then find I can't play it.

Tube on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    Someone should make a Paradox games thread. I would but I have no fucking clue.

I mentioned doing that earlier but never got around to it. I can make one up today; I have some good content for an OP.

That would rock.

You should do it. It would fill a needed gap.

The thread is up, read it here!

Michael H on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arenow wrote: »
    Give me some reasons to get this 90% at metascore Freedom Force. I know nothing about it.

Real-time tactical superhero combat. Pick up and use lightpoles as weapons. Throw cars. Customize your heroes. Create your own heroes. Download a shitload of heroes. Affectionate parody of superhero comics. And it's only 187 pennies.

Seriously. 187 pennies. Don't buy a bottle of soda today, and you've paid for it.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Give me some reasons to get this 90% at metascore Freedom Force. I know nothing about it.

Real-time tactical superhero combat. Pick up and use lightpoles as weapons. Throw cars. Customize your heroes. Create your own heroes. Download a shitload of heroes. Affectionate parody of superhero comics. And it's only 187 pennies.

Seriously. 187 pennies. Don't buy a bottle of soda today, and you've paid for it.

does the version on steam work?

I have the disk version and even patched it was a pain to get running on XP, I never dared try on Win7

Buttcleft on
    edited July 2010
    Maybe Troika blew too much of their budget on semi-colons and subtitles? They might still be in business if they had picked a simpler name!

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

From the studio that brought you

Arcanum: Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura.

Don't those titles just roll right off the tongue?

Lawndart on
    edited July 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    GoodOmens wrote: »

does the version on steam work?

I have the disk version and even patched it was a pain to get running on XP, I never dared try on Win7

I've only had a few minor issues getting them to run on Win7 x64.

Lawndart on
    edited July 2010
    Aw. Trying to give Saints Row 2 a go and it crashes everytime I tried to launch it :(

projectmayhem on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The DMC4 bait & switch is worse than MGS2, because after the switch you have to backtrack through the entirety of the game's settings. Ughhhhh.

Dehumanized on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aw. Trying to give Saints Row 2 a go and it crashes everytime I tried to launch it :(

Checked the steam forums for the game yet? Had the same problem with bioshock, looked there to see if anyone else was having the probem, and had it fixed in like 5 minutes.

Zerokku on
    edited July 2010
    Found a possible solution at http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/saintsrow2/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-47564691&pid=946770

Giving it a go. I want to shoot mans in a hot dog suit so bad.

edit.

Sad face :(

projectmayhem on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bought Just Cause 2

And Call of Pripyat

And The Witcher

I think I am finally done with this sale

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is any of the Just Cause 2 DLC worth it? I'm kinda considering the Hovercraft and Black Market Aerial packs, and maybe the Monster Truck.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
    edited July 2010
    I dont own the game, but you just asked if content such as a Hovercraft and Monster Truck was worth it.

Yes. The answer will be yes.

projectmayhem on
    edited July 2010
    The DMC4 bait & switch is worse than MGS2, because after the switch you have to backtrack through the entirety of the game's settings. Ughhhhh.
    I liked Nero. And I liked Raiden.

4 could've done with a bit less sappy anime bullshit, though. I liked the story in 3, for reference.

Monger on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So then if I want a game like BF1942, what should I get? BF2? Are there enough people still playing that?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • VinterVinter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have a question for you folks, i have Mount & Blade, but not through steam and i want to get Warband, but im thinking of getting the original on Steam as well, since im always afraid of losing my key for my other version. But my question is if i get Warband, will i even need the original?

Vinter on
    The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Xbox GT: Master Vinter Steam: Vinter PSN: VinterM 3DS: 4699-5853-7381
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does the sale end at 10:00am tomorrow or do we have another set of deals and then it goes away on the 5th?

Shens on
This discussion has been closed.