As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    So then if I want a game like BF1942, what should I get? BF2? Are there enough people still playing that?

People are still playing it, yeah.

And they're fucking good.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vinter wrote: »
    I have a question for you folks, i have Mount & Blade, but not through steam and i want to get Warband, but im thinking of getting the original on Steam as well, since im always afraid of losing my key for my other version. But my question is if i get Warband, will i even need the original?

Mods are the main reason to hang onto or get a digital copy of the original. Most of the modding community are still working with the original game - some mods are starting to be ported to Warband, but not many.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was trying to be good today, I saw nothing cry out to me, but then you all went and made Freedom Force sound good...

Oh well, <$2, I think I'll make due.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • VinterVinter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmmm, guess ill grab them both then. Now how about the Starwolves series, they looked kind of cool, but the ratings are horrible.

Vinter on
    The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Xbox GT: Master Vinter Steam: Vinter PSN: VinterM 3DS: 4699-5853-7381
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    So then if I want a game like BF1942, what should I get? BF2? Are there enough people still playing that?

I'm sure there are still people playing BF1942. Heck, there are still people playing Unreal Tournament '99 and Doom II online.

BC2 also still has people playing and is close enough to BF1942's multiplayer that it's worth playing. Plus it has extra stuff like buildings you can blow up.
    I have a question for you folks, i have Mount & Blade, but not through steam and i want to get Warband, but im thinking of getting the original on Steam as well, since im always afraid of losing my key for my other version. But my question is if i get Warband, will i even need the original?

By all accounts, Warband makes the original game obsolete. It's a graphical upgrade for the single player game and it adds multiplayer. I'm a bit baffled why they even still sell vanilla M&B, let alone have it be the daily sale title and not Warband.

Lawndart on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bought Just Cause 2 + All DLC for only $29, simply beautiful

Hawk on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmmm, guess ill grab them both then. Now how about the Starwolves series, they looked kind of cool, but the ratings are horrible.

You can easily retrieve your key for the original from Taleworlds at any time. Don't buy a second copy because you're afraid of losing your original.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    [edit] Fuck I'm dumb.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited July 2010
    I dont own the game, but you just asked if content such as a Hovercraft and Monster Truck was worth it.

Yes. The answer will be yes.

"The usefulness of an oversized monster truck when destabilizing small countries is clearly evident."

Lawndart on
  • VinterVinter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, i just picked up Warband, UFO Gold, UFO Afterlight, Farewell to Dragons, Avencast, and the space rangers pack for about $40. I think my credit card is going to take out a restraining order against me after this weekend...

Vinter on
    The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Xbox GT: Master Vinter Steam: Vinter PSN: VinterM 3DS: 4699-5853-7381
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright, guys, I need a bit of help. Valve are jerks and decided to put up the ONLY 2 games I cared to go on sale on the same goddamn day. Money is a bit tight, so I can only pick one. Just Cause 2 and BC2 are the games in question. Which should it be?

Dourin on
    edited July 2010
    Speaking of "you can go with this or you can go with that" questions, if I'm in the mood for Euro-developed FPS-style moody-creepiness, can I settle for the cheap as dirt if you mean $3.24 worth of dirt Cryostasis or should I invest in the more expensive but perhaps better/shinier Metro 2033?

Background details: Felt kinda meh about STALKER. Enjoyed the crap out of BioShock. I have a decently beeftastic PC on which to run such things.

Lawndart on
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dourin wrote: »
    Alright, guys, I need a bit of help. Valve are jerks and decided to put up the ONLY 2 games I cared to go on sale on the same goddamn day. Money is a bit tight, so I can only pick one. Just Cause 2 and BC2 are the games in question. Which should it be?

Multiplayer with pals shooting mans your main thing? BC2

Playing by yourself grappling hooking around an island shooting mans your main thing? JC2

Single vs multi basically. The type of game you play the most decides this one.

Karrmer on
    edited July 2010
    And speaking of BF1942 ... best title screen music ever, barely beating Deus Ex. Why don't they use that in every BF game?

Karrmer on
  • SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I'd say JC2, but I'm really not a huge fan of BC2 so take that with a grain of salt.

SimpsonsParadox on
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Speaking of "you can go with this or you can go with that" questions, if I'm in the mood for Euro-developed FPS-style moody-creepiness, can I settle for the cheap as dirt if you mean $3.24 worth of dirt Cryostasis or should I invest in the more expensive but perhaps better/shinier Metro 2033?

Background details: Felt kinda meh about STALKER. Enjoyed the crap out of BioShock. I have a decently beeftastic PC on which to run such things.

I would say Metro 2033 over Cryostasis. Don't get me wrong, Cryostasis is a great game, but it is not very well optimized and runs like crap, even on high end machines and the guns felt a bit off. Metro, so far from what I've played, just generally feels and runs better. Both are fucking brimming with atmosphere though. I'd say, given how cheap Cryostasis currently is, just get both. You will not regret it.

Dourin on
    edited July 2010
    Karrmer wrote: »

Playing by yourself grappling hooking around an island shooting mans your main thing? JC2

If it was that easy, I would have made the decision already. I enjoy both types of games, hence the dilemma. And I don't necessarily enjoy one over the other.

Dourin on
  • tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And speaking of BF1942 ... best title screen music ever, barely beating Deus Ex. Why don't they use that in every BF game?

This

tek on
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

If it was that easy, I would have made the decision already. I enjoy both types of games, hence the dilemma. And I don't necessarily enjoy one over the other.

There's a MP mod in the making for Just Cause 2. It also features drunk and disorderly swedes, this alone makes Just Cause 2 a more realistic game then BC2.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
    edited July 2010
    tek wrote: »

This

I actually have an MP3 of it and play it on loop while playing BC2.

Seriously though.

Karrmer on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why did I buy Empire at War again? I don't have time to play the games I already bought this sale.

Docshifty on
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I do wish that Steam would mark games that have regional pricing differences. I mean, here in NZ, Metro 2033, at 50% off, is $40 US, for which I may as well just get the THQ Complete pack, since thats the same price here as you guys get it.

The only problem, I own just about everything I'd want to play in that...

Damn it.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As long as we're asking questions, I have something I've been thinking about more ever since one dude started asking for tower defense recommendations.

I am an RTS idiot. I pretty much know nothing about most of the genre and am TERRIBLE whenever I play. But what I have fun doing, and I'm thinking specifically from experiences with Empire Earth here, is building up a base and setting up some towers and packets of soldiers to defend when the AI inevitably comes after me. I can never win though because I just don't have the sense of strategy to plan offensive maneuvres and balance them with my base building.

Are there defense-only RTS games that would suit me? I like amassing forces, placing buildings, managing resources just fine. Even exploring the map is cool, but actually funneling forces into the right directions to chip away at some other dude's base seems beyond my skill or interest.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    As long as we're asking questions, I have something I've been thinking about more ever since one dude started asking for tower defense recommendations.

I am an RTS idiot. I pretty much know nothing about most of the genre and am TERRIBLE whenever I play. But what I have fun doing, and I'm thinking specifically from experiences with Empire Earth here, is building up a base and setting up some towers and packets of soldiers to defend when the AI inevitably comes after me. I can never win though because I just don't have the sense of strategy to plan offensive maneuvres and balance them with my base building.

Are there defense-only RTS games that would suit me? I like amassing forces, placing buildings, managing resources just fine. Even exploring the map is cool, but actually funneling forces into the right directions to chip away at some other dude's base seems beyond my skill or interest.

What about tower defense games? Defense Grid: The Awakening is a good one

AdditionalPylons on
    edited July 2010

A bit of an oddball suggestion here, but I believe the original Rise of Nations has a defense-only game mode. I think it's called Barbarians at the Gates.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited July 2010
    Tower Defense games are definitely rad, and I have certainly gotten sizable kicks out of Defense Grid and Plants vs. Zombies (and assorted flash games in the genre).

But I'm wondering if there's one that combines the defensive, bunker down objective with building/training mobile units that can also be stationed or set to patrol the base, and manage resources and other RTS-like tasks (minus the aggressive expansion).

I guess basically I want to turtle.

Edit: Thanks for the suggestions!

.Tripwire. on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tower Defense games are definitely rad, and I have certainly gotten sizable kicks out of Defense Grid and Plants vs. Zombies (and assorted flash games in the genre).

But I'm wondering if there's one that combines the defensive, bunker down objective with building/training mobile units that can also be stationed or set to patrol the base, and manage resources and other RTS-like tasks (minus the aggressive expansion).

This is probably a bit more esoteric than you're looking for, has the worst learning curve of any game ever, and it's not on steam (but it is free!)...

But have you played Dwarf Fortress yet?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited July 2010
    As much as I detest Dwarf Fortress, it's a pretty good suggestion.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Bleh.

My OCD is annoyed:

SteamList.jpg

Why does Empire At War not have an icon like the rest of my games?!

A couple pages back.. but this annoys the crap out of me too..

There isn't a way to add a custom icon... is there?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    I think I always scoffed at the ASCII graphics of Dwarf Fortress to even learn more about it (shouting "My Alphaman days are behind me!"), but this hankering may be the time for me to finally check it out. Thanks!

I am pretty sure I have heard DF recommended to other people asking for satisfaction from different genre interests. It must be a varied game.

.Tripwire. on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »

I'm halfway through Cryo, it's worth the price. Combat is clunky, but the game has atmosphere. I hear the ending is odd. Lots of flashbacks and hallucinations, and semi time travel.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    This is probably a bit more esoteric than you're looking for, has the worst learning curve of any game ever, and it's not on steam (but it is free!)...

But have you played Dwarf Fortress yet?
    He did say he can never win as a negative, though, so DF may not work.
    Unless he hoesn't mind losing with hilarity?

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Talking about clunky combat, does the gunplay ever get better in JC2 than the demo? Because that's the main thing holding me back from getting it

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Northern Lights Indies bundle is very appealing for just Bob Came in Pieces and Crayon Physics Deluxe. Any thoughts on the other games in the pack Blueberry Garden and Saira? I'm not that interested in Plain Sight since I know it is online and my connection is spotty at the moment.

Tertiee on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the void

is weird

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I've never played them, but that kind of seems to be what the Stronghold games are about, along with being a general fortress sim.

Drake on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Bleh.

My OCD is annoyed:

SteamList.jpg

Why does Empire At War not have an icon like the rest of my games?!

A couple pages back.. but this annoys the crap out of me too..

There isn't a way to add a custom icon... is there?

There isn't. If you use details view, you won't notice it.

Peewi on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm more curious about why the background screencaps that show up behind a game's information in your library seem to not show up half the time. Where is it pulling these from and why doesn't it work reliably?
    Spoit wrote: »
    Talking about clunky combat, does the gunplay ever get better in JC2 than the demo? Because that's the main thing holding me back from getting it

That's my concern, too. Driving/flying around and blowing shit up is tons of fun, but the more stuff you blow up the more annoying dudes are sent after you.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drake wrote: »

I've never played them, but that kind of seems to be what the Stronghold games are about, along with being a general fortress sim.

I've always wondered if the Stronghold series is any good. The idea intrigues me, but I haven't heard much about them. Anyone who's played them care to weigh in?

Vi Monks on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gah. Nothing I am doing is working toward getting Saints Row 2 to start up :(

projectmayhem on
This discussion has been closed.