As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to get JC2 but the demo was hit by a steam bug where moving the mouse caused a slight freeze, making the game unplayable. I don't want to buy the game and then find I can't play it.

What are your specs? I had it running on medium-high with a solid 30fps, 1280x960 with the following

Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.1GHz (I'm not kidding it's flipping ancient)
    Radeon HD5570 (Half-height low profile card, not even that powerful)
    Windows 7 Ultimate

Demo ran absolutely fine, in fact it was probably the best running game on my PC. Don't forget that the game still looks fantastic on lower settings and res.

edit: You get better weapons as you play. More powerful and stuff not to mentio nthey're upgradeable too. But really it's all about whipping around using the grapple and just keeping out of the line of fire.

Big Classy on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm more curious about why the background screencaps that show up behind a game's information in your library seem to not show up half the time. Where is it pulling these from and why doesn't it work reliably?
    Spoit wrote: »
    Talking about clunky combat, does the gunplay ever get better in JC2 than the demo? Because that's the main thing holding me back from getting it

That's my concern, too. Driving/flying around and blowing shit up is tons of fun, but the more stuff you blow up the more annoying dudes are sent after you.

Yeah, blowing shit up was fun, and running around was fun, but when I did the mission in the demo, where you actually had to fight the guys, rather than just run around them, the game didn't work so well

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    the void

is weird

Met the Bro's already?

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I do have a question about the JC2 DLC. Namely the vehicles. How do they work exactly? By buying the DLC, do you now start to see monster trucks and hovercrafts around, or is it something you call down yourself? What happens when you crash the vehicle? Do you just call down or hijack another?

Dourin on
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man. Since tomorrow's sale will likely be a recap, that means it's time to start looking at the laundry list of games at the normal sale price. Call of Pripyat, Cryostasis, the Witcher, and now Mount & Blade: Warband are all strong contenders, but I really can't afford all of them. Bah!

rndmhero on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the void

is weird
    It's also pretty damn awesome, as well.

Silpheed on
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gah. Nothing I am doing is working toward getting Saints Row 2 to start up :(

Are you running dual monitors? If so, trying disabling your secondary one in device manager. You could also try running in windowed mode. AmnesiaSoft (from PA) put up a downloadable settings.dat that has windowed mode already configured (if you can't get it to boot that far into options.)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1268028

IdolNinja on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Oh man. Since tomorrow's sale will likely be a recap, that means it's time to start looking at the laundry list of games at the normal sale price. Call of Pripyat, Cryostasis, the Witcher, and now Mount & Blade: Warband are all strong contenders, but I really can't afford all of them. Bah!

Is tomorrow even going to have a sale?

It says it ends on July 4th, not July 5th

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

Ends 10:00AM PST July 5th

Zerokku on
    edited July 2010

There was an update that said it actually finishes on Monday. Tomorrow is apparently the last day. Or so we think! DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUN

edit: Are we gonna all list what we bought at the end of it? I wonder who'll win!

Big Classy on
    edited July 2010

Valve commented somewhere that the sale runs through 10am PST on Monday, so Sunday is the last day of new sales. At Christmas this meant having one day where they brought back the popular sales from the other days, but who knows if they'll do that again.

EDIT: Beat'd

rndmhero on
    edited July 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »

Ends 10:00AM PST July 5th

Mother of fuck if they put Call of Pripyat or The Witcher on sale I will flip a fuck

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited July 2010
    For those who found that Freed Force demo didn't work on their computer; demo is of an old unpatched build. Full game does indeed work and it's quirky!

Big Classy on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I just want to have a shot at getting Chaos Rising at a discount..

Silpheed on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    edit: Are we gonna all list what we bought at the end of it? I wonder who'll win!

Haven't you spent like, $1300?
    Mother of fuck if they put Call of Pripyat or The Witcher on sale I will flip a fuck

I'm hoping for the Witcher to make a return, although I kind of doubt it will happen if it was supposed to be a daily in the first place and ran for two days at that price.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dourin wrote: »
    So I do have a question about the JC2 DLC. Namely the vehicles. How do they work exactly? By buying the DLC, do you now start to see monster trucks and hovercrafts around, or is it something you call down yourself? What happens when you crash the vehicle? Do you just call down or hijack another?

Reposting since I got bottomed in such a quick moving thread.

Dourin on
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

Haven't you spent like, $1300?

I'm hoping for the Witcher to make a return, although I kind of doubt it will happen if it was supposed to be a daily in the first place and ran for two days at that price.

Was it really up for two days? Damn it. I don't think I noticed until people posted about it, and I, too, was hoping for a return to the $7 price.

rndmhero on
    edited July 2010

Reposting since I got bottomed in such a quick moving thread.

I thought this got answered, sorry. Yes you call em in via chopper drops. They're not gonna be driven around by civilians...... Although if there was a mod for that it would be hilarious.

And no, I didn't spend that much. A lot, but nowhere near that level of insanity. I don't think I've ever had that kind of money. (freaking sales are too frequent!)

edit: I paid £12 or around that much a fortnight or so before this daily sale week nonsense began. Thats about $20 I think, or near enough. I was not pissed at all when the game popped up on sale. If anything I was glad that more peopel would be picking it up. It's definitely worth the price. One of my favourite titles on the PC so far.

Now the THQ pack, that pissed me off. I only bought it two omnths ago! Now it's got two extra games and it's at less than half the price I paid!

Big Classy on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was away for most of this sale, but spent around a tenner in the weeks before.

LewieP on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This thread just moves too damn fast.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    There isn't. If you use details view, you won't notice it.

Yeah, but I like the icons that do look pretty =(

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm more curious about why the background screencaps that show up behind a game's information in your library seem to not show up half the time. Where is it pulling these from and why doesn't it work reliably?

They're the screenshots from the storepage. They work reliably for me. Occasionally it takes a few seconds before it appears, but that's it.

Peewi on
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did anyone ever hop on Space Rangers or Star Wolves, and are either of them any good?

Lykouragh on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drovek wrote: »
    the void

is weird

Met the Bro's already?

no, I just got to be able to meet a second sister and stopped

I was bugged because I felt like they are pressuring you to get things done which is good and all but I had no idea what to do. turned out I was doing the right thing though, just needed a break.

something about it reminds me of Eternal Darkness. it only just hit me now.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

And immediately I feel justified in my purchase :)

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finally finished Crysis! Didn't take that long (15 hours apparently) but that last encounter...

Freeze rays can go die in a fire!

So what now? Dead Space!

Euphoriac on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the void

is weird

Met the Bro's already?

I was bugged because I felt like they are pressuring you to get things done which is good and all but I had no idea what to do. turned out I was doing the right thing though, just needed a break.

Well, that feeling of not knowing if it's the right thing but it must be done NOW? That'll be with you the whole way. Among many contradictions and weirdness...

Not sure if I can compare that with Eternal Darkness. I guess the sense of impending doom or something.

But it's quite a ride.

And you won't finish it in your first try. :wink:

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Antoshka wrote: »
    I do wish that Steam would mark games that have regional pricing differences. I mean, here in NZ, Metro 2033, at 50% off, is $40 US, for which I may as well just get the THQ Complete pack, since thats the same price here as you guys get it.

The only problem, I own just about everything I'd want to play in that...

Damn it.

I imagine that a vast majority of Steam users don't care what any of the games cost in other countries. I know that American users, at least, don't care one bit.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the void

is weird

Met the Bro's already?

Far warning: You are going to lose this playthrough.

You will probably lose your 2nd playthrough, too.

But you'll notice on future playthroughs that everything you do is like twice as efficient, and you'll always know where to go and what to do until you catch up to where you lost before.

It's a hard game.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've been good: I only bought three things during this entire Steam sale.
    I've been bad: I gifted way more than that during this Steam sale. If I see an amazing price on something I already have, I can't resist saying to myself, "So-and-so HAS to have this great game, and it's only 5 bucks!"

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just got off work to see Just Cause 2 for 25 dollars. Shiiiiiii-

I think I may have to buy it.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    I've been good: I only bought three things during this entire Steam sale.
    I've been bad: I gifted way more than that during this Steam sale. If I see an amazing price on something I already have, I can't resist saying to myself, "So-and-so HAS to have this great game, and it's only 5 bucks!"

you need to add more people to your "give shit away for free " list

Buttcleft on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    wow, i just tried gothic

wow

that is some horrible shit

?

I'd wager either:

a.) The graphics
    b.) The controls
    c.) The difficulty

Or any combination of the three.

I booted up Gothic 2, went to walk to the top of the tower you start in and it just turned into a total slideshow.

I'm not sure if it's because of the fire from the torches or all the trees below it was trying to render.

Kelor on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OH BC2, you saucy minx, I know I can't have you but still, I must click your buttons and indulge myself. This is the end dammit, Steam. A philandering cur of the highest regard, enticing me with your spicy wares.

edit: So BC2 is not on the scale of B2 or 1942?

RoyceSraphim on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    Finally finished Crysis! Didn't take that long (15 hours apparently) but that last encounter...

Freeze rays can go die in a fire!

So what now? Dead Space!

If you're going to play Dead Space, make sure you play it on hard.

On normal it's your standard third person shooter with a creepy atmosphere.

On hard it is like playing a totally different game.

Also what is Metro priced at for you guys? Because here, like Borderlands, it's down from $80 to $30 and I wouldn't mind organising a copy for a friend.

Kelor on
    edited July 2010
    OH BC2, you saucy minx, I know I can't have you but still, I must click your buttons and indulge myself. This is the end dammit, Steam. A philandering cur of the highest regard, enticing me with your spicy wares.

Not quite 1942, but more like BF2

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Not quite 1942, but more like BF2
    Alright, compared to the Dalian Plant at 32 players, would your average BC2 map at 32 players be bigger or smaller?

RoyceSraphim on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I picked up Peggle Complete, Shatter and Portal for my girlfriend, who it turns out actually loves games <3. She was asking after Age of Empires II. Is there anything on Steam that would be similar/superior, and preferably not difficult to get into? I've never really followed RTS.

exis on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm really tempted to get The Settlers 7 for 33 dollars (not the Gold edition, though, as it adds piss all to the game), but it includes Ubisoft's online DRM. There's also The Settlers 6 Gold Edition for 20 dollars, but I don't know how the two compare.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    exis wrote: »
    So I picked up Peggle Complete, Shatter and Portal for my girlfriend, who it turns out actually loves games <3. She was asking after Age of Empires II. Is there anything on Steam that would be similar/superior, and preferably not difficult to get into? I've never really followed RTS.

It was on sale yesterday, but Star Wars: Empire at War is (I believe) built on the Age of Empires engine. Shit, I'm thinking of Galactic Battlegrounds. Never mind.

On the plus side, I get a cheap game that I've never played. I hope it's good!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.