As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    OH BC2, you saucy minx, I know I can't have you but still, I must click your buttons and indulge myself. This is the end dammit, Steam. A philandering cur of the highest regard, enticing me with your spicy wares.

edit: So BC2 is not on the scale of B2 or 1942?

Not quite 1942, but more like BF2
    Alright, compared to the Dalian Plant at 32 players, would your average BC2 map at 32 players be bigger or smaller?

It's probably about as big, except you play small bits and advance/retreat every time an objective is destroyed, and spawn points move up and stuff, so it feels big while still being manageable, if you see what I'm saying

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    the void

is weird

Met the Bro's already?

no, I just got to be able to meet a second sister and stopped

I was bugged because I felt like they are pressuring you to get things done which is good and all but I had no idea what to do. turned out I was doing the right thing though, just needed a break.

something about it reminds me of Eternal Darkness. it only just hit me now.

Far warning: You are going to lose this playthrough.

You will probably lose your 2nd playthrough, too.

But you'll notice on future playthroughs that everything you do is like twice as efficient, and you'll always know where to go and what to do until you catch up to where you lost before.

It's a hard game.

I was starting to think this was possible immediately with coloring the trees. it's a small thing but I've already set myself up to have issues... even if I'm wrong about that actually being a problem I'm not surprised to hear it may take multiple goes.

thanks for the info from everyone

I wish I could more specifically peg the eternal darkness feeling I got before, it might just be a personal reaction rather than something I can concretely point to.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I TOTALLY jumped on the Devil May Cry 4 and Freedom Force deals today. I've been eyeballing DMC4 for months now, and it's a genuine surprise. Runs like silk on my PC, too. <3

Kami on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Saints Row 2 is pure joy. The port is shit my I dont care. I was smiling the whole time I played it today.

projectmayhem on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    They're the screenshots from the storepage. They work reliably for me. Occasionally it takes a few seconds before it appears, but that's it.

Ah, that makes sense. They must be cached. I'm usually in offline mode and only four or five games in my list were showing pictures, and then only sometimes.
    Alright, compared to the Dalian Plant at 32 players, would your average BC2 map at 32 players be bigger or smaller?

Rush maps are probably bigger, but they come in a more linear series of stages. Conquest maps are probably a bit smaller. It's hard to compare (to 1942, since I never played BF2), since the scale feels different. BC2 is much more infantry-focused.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    exis wrote: »
    So I picked up Peggle Complete, Shatter and Portal for my girlfriend, who it turns out actually loves games <3. She was asking after Age of Empires II. Is there anything on Steam that would be similar/superior, and preferably not difficult to get into? I've never really followed RTS.

Company of Heroes is always good, it's much more manageable with the squad-based gameplay and much smaller unit count.

Err, DoW/DoW2?

Damn, why are they the only 2 I can think of on Steam? :?

Euphoriac on
  • corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Masume wrote: »
    Hey, I hear Space Rangers 2 is really good. I recall wanting to get it awhile back back it had Securom issues. Anyone know if the Steam version packs Securom crap?

Also, is anyone still playing Borderlands Co-Op? I never got into it, and I might pick it up if you folks are still on it.

It was Starforce, not SecuROM. Steam lists third-party DRM on the store page. Look at Crysis or Ass Creed 2, the extra DRM is listed below the publisher info, release date, languages, etc.

You should definitely get it.

Also, get Borderlands and all the DLC if it's on sale tomorrow. I bet there's enough people here that bought it (or bought the DLC) that will want to play it.

corky842 on
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So yeah, since this sale began my spending and time in games has gone up... unreasonably is the best way to put it. My game play time for the last two weeks is measured in days, not hours.

By the way, how would I go about getting an invite to the Penny-Arcade Steam group? My name is ShinyRedKnight on Steam just like here. I play quite a bit but at strange times and have a mic :mrgreen:

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Afaik, just leave your name here and someone will add you?

Euphoriac on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So... I'm a little annoyed it's only the original Mount & Blade on sale D:.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I couldn't pass up the Freedom Force pack for 1.87. I have the discs somewhere, but less than two bucks is insane for those two games, which are both awesome.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    By the way, how would I go about getting an invite to the Penny-Arcade Steam group? My name is ShinyRedKnight on Steam just like here. I play quite a bit but at strange times and have a mic

A link to the profile is considered kosher, as I understand.

Tamin on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I couldn't pass up the Freedom Force pack for 1.87. I have the discs somewhere, but less than two bucks is insane for those two games, which are both awesome.

Both are awesome. Both are games I'm almost positive I will never, ever play again. Both are games I bought because... look at the price for those games! *sigh*

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
    edited July 2010
    So I picked up Peggle Complete, Shatter and Portal for my girlfriend, who it turns out actually loves games <3. She was asking after Age of Empires II. Is there anything on Steam that would be similar/superior, and preferably not difficult to get into? I've never really followed RTS.

Supreme Commander 2. People who really liked the first one poo poo it, but it's actually a really fun RTS, and unlike the first one, is quite accessible. The first SupCom was pretty daunting, but GPG went in a different direction with SupCom 2 and made it quite a bit easier to learn.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh my god Just Cause 2.. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the demo does the game no justice! I can't believe they are letting me kick so much ass right off the bat. Plus, they are letting me go wherever the fuck I want to (I haven't gone to any military bases yet), which was one of my main complaints with GTA: San Andreas.

I'm so torn.. which faction do I choose?! Will siding with one lopsided affect the game? Is it possible to have only one faction win? I remember how awesome it was in GTA2 where I learned that yes, you could ramp up just a single faction.. but if you maxxed all 3 they went into this insane war that you had to escape from!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    As long as we're asking questions, I have something I've been thinking about more ever since one dude started asking for tower defense recommendations.

I am an RTS idiot. I pretty much know nothing about most of the genre and am TERRIBLE whenever I play. But what I have fun doing, and I'm thinking specifically from experiences with Empire Earth here, is building up a base and setting up some towers and packets of soldiers to defend when the AI inevitably comes after me. I can never win though because I just don't have the sense of strategy to plan offensive maneuvres and balance them with my base building.

Are there defense-only RTS games that would suit me? I like amassing forces, placing buildings, managing resources just fine. Even exploring the map is cool, but actually funneling forces into the right directions to chip away at some other dude's base seems beyond my skill or interest.
    This may seem like odd advice, but bear with.

Wait a month. Buy Starcraft 2.

I'm not going to at all try to convince you that it helped me with a similar RTS idiot issue, though it did.

I'm telling you to get it because of user created maps. In beta I have played no less than 10 different variants of defense based gameplay. Everything from static tower-defense types to fighting off waves of enemies with other people via base-building. There will be many user created maps that will fill that niche.

Recommendations for Stronghold are good too. I can also pitch in Perimeter as a very defense-focused RTS, but it's a bit odd and clunky too.

Entriech on
    edited July 2010
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh my god Just Cause 2.. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the demo does the game no justice! I can't believe they are letting me kick so much ass right off the bat. Plus, they are letting me go wherever the fuck I want to (I haven't gone to any military bases yet), which was one of my main complaints with GTA: San Andreas.

I'm so torn.. which faction do I choose?! Will siding with one lopsided affect the game? Is it possible to have only one faction win? I remember how awesome it was in GTA2 where I learned that yes, you could ramp up just a single faction.. but if you maxxed all 3 they went into this insane war that you had to escape from!

You can (and should) do missions for them all, it's not a "choice" really (at least not at first).

GnomeTank on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Euphoriac wrote: »

Company of Heroes is always good, it's much more manageable with the squad-based gameplay and much smaller unit count.

Err, DoW/DoW2?

Exis, you are a lucky man. I only wish my physical friends had steam accounts.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited July 2010
    You can do all the missions for every faction. The only difference it will ever make is which one you choose at the end of the game, and then all that does is change who is talking to you over the radio.

Entriech on
  • cepheuseicepheusei Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd love an invite to the earlier mentioned steam group, if that's something that could happen.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cepheusei

I hope this sale ends soon.

cepheusei on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

You can (and should) do missions for them all, it's not a "choice" really (at least not at first).

Do they get pissed at you for wrecking their shit? Like.. I did the Roaches place, and.. well, each of these missions lets me end with a nice, juicy, SAM-wrecking minigun, which I like to use judiciously. But now that it is their territory, it seems they don't mind me blowing the fuck out of it.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited July 2010

Do they get pissed at you for wrecking their shit? Like.. I did the Roaches place, and.. well, each of these missions lets me end with a nice, juicy, SAM-wrecking minigun, which I like to use judiciously. But now that it is their territory, it seems they don't mind me blowing the fuck out of it.

They don't. You should definitely still 100% the place, especially since most of the faction strongholds are full of cash, chaos and upgrades.

GnomeTank on
    edited July 2010

Blow everything up. Everything. It's all in service of chaos, and destabilizing the island. Probably the best decision that Avalanche made. You can't accidentally ruin things. Everything is positive.

Entriech on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Err, DoW/DoW2?

None of my IRL friends are into gaming. I know I've gifted stuff for folks on these forums though.

Big Classy on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

Err, DoW/DoW2?

None of my IRL friends are into gaming. I know I've gifted stuff for folks on these forums though.

Well she didn't have a Steam account. I asked to borrow her laptop, installed Steam and gifted her Peggle, then gave it back to her with the game running. I think having it all just there to go makes it a lot more appealing for someone who never plays games.

At first I figured she was just humoring me. But she finished Peggle in two nights and asked for more <3<3<3

exis on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

Err, DoW/DoW2?

Well she didn't have a Steam account. I asked to borrow her laptop, installed Steam and gifted her Peggle, then gave it back to her with the game running. I think having it all just there to go makes it a lot more appealing for someone who never plays games.

At first I figured she was just humoring me. But she finished Peggle in two nights and asked for more <3<3<3

I've Steam-gifted games to a couple of people who aren't into games. One person I got Peggle back when it was on sale for cheap, and today I gifted World of Goo and Bookworm Deluxe to a friend who only has Macs.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just picked up Just Cause 2.

I doubt Splinter Cell will be on discount tomorrow but whether it is or not, I'm going to pick up the Echelon Edition. That'll be my final Steam purchase.*

I'm still considering picking up The Devil's Playhouse and Devil May Cry 4. I'm not a huge fan of the DMC series, but for $7.50 there are worse things I could spend that money on.

How is The Devil's Playhouse so far? I'm up to Episode 3 of Season 2. I can't believe the Telltale Everything Pack is $50 right now and includes TDP. If I hadn't gotten it as a gift at Christmas, I would buy it without thinking.

* During this sale. **

** Unless tomorrow has some crazy nutty super awesome deals.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So of course Steam has to have its big sales a few weeks before my big royalty check from Microsoft comes in. So many games, so little money.

RainbowDespair on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Eh. Just decided to pull the trigger on a few things I've been waiting for...Champions Online, Chrome 2pack, Alpha Prime, and Ghost Master.

I can wait for a better deal on Metro. Was hoping to see a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 3-pack, though. :(

Hopefully The Witcher is one of tomorrow's returning deals. :D

Doctor Detroit on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't understand why shitty games are so much larger (file size-wise) than good games. Is it just because good games have programmers that comprehend the concept of compression?

Like Just Cause 1 is 7.5 gigs whereas Just Cause 2 is about 5.0 gigs.

The Force Unleashed is 30 fucking gigabytes. That's just nuts. I don't totally hate the game, but almost every other game I have is better on a per-gigabyte ratio.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited July 2010
    So of course Steam has to have its big sales a few weeks before my big royalty check from Microsoft comes in. So many games, so little money.

Well maybe if you sold your games on Steam they'd cut you checks in a more timely manner...

*chuckles* Just messing with ya. I'm hoping to get a 360 in the next month or two and your game is gonna be my first online purchase.

Athenor on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hopefully The Witcher is one of tomorrow's returning deals. :D

If not, it's on D2D for $10. I'm not sure the extra $3.40 saved is worth having it off my Steam account, but if it doesn't show up on sale again tomorrow and the price makes a difference to someone, there you go.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TFU is massive because it also contains a lot of DLC. I think it contains like three DLC items and a smattering of other things.

Also 8 gigs of video.

a puddle on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Well maybe if you sold your games on Steam they'd cut you checks in a more timely manner...

*chuckles* Just messing with ya. I'm hoping to get a 360 in the next month or two and your game is gonna be my first online purchase.

Well, you never know. We're considering the possibility of releasing our next game (Cthulhu Saves the World) on Steam sometime after the XBox 360 version comes out. This is, of course, assuming that they'll let us (but given that Beat Hazard is on Steam, I think we have a good shot) and that it isn't too hard to adjust the code to work on PCs.

RainbowDespair on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    a puddle wrote: »
    TFU is massive because it also contains a lot of DLC. I think it contains like three DLC items and a smattering of other things.

Also 8 gigs of video.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that that is still pretty bad

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    a puddle wrote: »

Also 8 gigs of video.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that that is still pretty bad

Yeah that was the point. Anyone who has played TFU will know that there is no excuse to have 8 gigabytes of video for that game.

Their "FMV" sequences (this is how it is labeled in the game folder, FMV) use the in-game character models with slightly more articulation in the facial skeletons.

a puddle on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Today's picks are pretty good, if still a little pricy - but they're mostly newish games, so still!

If I didn't already have 'it I'd pick up Sam & Max, and if I could afford it I'd pick up Battlefield BC2 and Metro2033. As it is I'm grabbing World of Goo and Just Cause 2.

Jintor on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    God dammit, JC2 has been added to my game queue. Shit. Awesome. Shit. This sale is turning me schzio!

DrunkMc on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bought Just Cause 2 and DMC 4, so now I own every item in today's sale. Probably the best sale yet in terms of sheer quality titles, in my opinion, though they really should have put Warband up instead of the original Mount & Blade.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Downloaded Metro 2033, getting "The program can't start because PhysXLoader.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the prgram to fix this problem."

Installed and reinstalled PhysX, no luck. Any ideas?

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
This discussion has been closed.