As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PTA] Team Wang! Hey, what do you know? Updates!

CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes RuleCapital WastelandRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Critical Failures
SpriteGiovanni.png

About time you got here, recruits! Welcome to the world of crime! My name is GIOVANNI. Some people call me the ROCKET BOSS, and I'm the new leader of TEAM WANG.

This world of ours is filled with lots of ways for criminals to quickly get rich. Crime means different thing to different people.

Some rob people...

Some blackmail people...

Some even kill people...

But, to most criminals, POKéMON are their chief concern.

Luckily, many people have POKéMON that we can take to help us. These people train the POKéMON, and in return we steal the POKéMON out from under their noses. It's a beneficial arrangement for the both of us!

While many people are foolish enough to work to take new POKéMON from the wild, we prefer to stay in cities and towns. These others venture out into this wilderness are the main targets of our efforts.

We call these foolish individuals POKéMON TRAINERS. They capture and tame POKéMON to while traveling in the most dangerous areas of the world. Thus, while they are risking life and limb in pursuit of their goals, they are isolated from police and others who would help them.

So, tell me, do you think you have what it takes to be a member of TEAM WANG?

What is this?

This is the Pokemon Tabletop Adventures RPG!

What's that?
... It's a Tabletop RPG based on the Pokemon series!

I don't share a table in common with you?
Ok, first off, that's not a question. Secondly, this is going to be done in a Play by Post format.

So, what should I do?
You should probably break up with her.

... So, if I want to play this game, what should I do?
Well, you should make a character and post it here!

... You really should break up with her, though.

What kind of character should I make?
Well, Team Wang is a group of thugs, thieves, and mad scientists. Go nuts.

Main Rules
Meet the Classes
Main Features List
Extra Class/Advanced Features List
Items List
Pokemon Abilities List
Pokemon Capabilities List
Pokemon Moves List

Current Roster
Rent - Sara Draggin {Lotad the Lotad}
TiamatZ - Mitarashi Shino {Zuul the Zubat}
Spoit - Sam Shade {Maxie the Togepi}
Speed Racer - Alex Marshall {Sarlack the Trapinch}

Capfalcon on

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    well hey what's all this then

Squall on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    how do you feel about anti-villains?

Egos on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I approve wholeheartedly of this idea in general. I think notsoy was also planning on GMing something, maybe?

Verity's tough as nails. With a bit of tweaking she could be a bit more not-Team-Rockety.

I think if anything a pokemon villains campaign would do well with a running sense of comedy and a few actual "OMGWTF actual drama and evil" moments.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It could all be Rent's character's masterplan to get back at Lance. And Speed got dragged along because he had a crush on her despite the fact he now knows she is bat-shit insane.

Egos on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd be all for this, but I'd probably try and come up with a different character. My idea for a protagonist character doesn't really mesh to me with the idea of organized crime. I dunno, maybe though.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh I am so totally doing this

whatever it is

Shock G on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shock G wrote: »

whatever it is

This is the guise under which we're going to plan the elaborate murders of everyone that Marsh picked so that we'll get to play instead.

Right? I mean I only skimmed the first post but I mean what else could this possibly be about

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shock G wrote: »

whatever it is

This is the guise under which we're going to plan the elaborate murders of everyone that Marsh picked so that we'll get to play instead.

Right? I mean I only skimmed the first post but I mean what else could this possibly be about

but then I'd loose my psychic compass in RADlands

Shock G on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sounds neat! I'll be around tomorrow afternoon if cap wants to talk about stuff.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    notsoynotsoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Er

shit

Do I plunk my brand new thread into CF?

Or do I hijack this one?

I was just gonna run an entirely different campaign set three years after Marshmallow's >.>

EDIT: I mean, slightly tweaking the setting won't be any problem at all, I just don't know if we're actually doing the saboteur thing, or if we're going to play it straight.

Keep in mind I'm new to DM'ing, so I'm antsy about getting too ambitious.

notsoy on
    Soul Silver FC: 1978 3200 2285
    GT: HitoriLionheart or dailydro
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man we should totally do this

Also because I really want to use my character

Rent on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh man so gonna do this(maybe I'm a huge flake we'll see how it goes)

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Speed. I thought you loved me. -_-

I will be watching! If it's a game that doesn't impact on Marsh's, then no spoilars will be involved.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think capfalcon might be running this game notsoy

Not sure but that's what it looks like to me anyways

Rent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fuck me I'm confused now.

I think I might just pick up the splinters who haven't made characters yet and do soemthing with them

Or I might sit here and let my head explode

So lost :(

notsoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    notsoy wrote: »
    Fuck me I'm confused now.

I think I might just pick up the splinters who haven't made characters yet and do soemthing with them

Or I might sit here and let my head explode

So lost :(

Well this thread just got started like 2 hours ago dude, cap'll probably come back and fill us in on the plan tomorrow or somethin

Rent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, playing criminals isn't the only angle of revenge available to us

We could play another batch of trainers that really rub Group A/B the wrong way (or they rub us the wrong way), instigating a very heated and antagonistic rivalry

Outside of that, we'd have a fairly normal batch of trainers on our hands

Just thought I'd throw that out there, especially since there isn't so much in the system that explicitly accommodates for playing as the bad guys

notsoy on
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Be like Gary from the first season of the show, each of you just driving around in a sports car with babes. Just run a motorcade through the forest and across the trails.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And one of you should be modelled on Neil Patrick Harris. He would be an excellent Gary Oak.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You and your Harold and Kumar reference ;-)

Egos on
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nevermind, placeholder for future team wang applicant

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ha. Dibs on being the talking Meowth.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    And one of you should be modelled on Neil Patrick Harris. He would be an excellent Gary Oak.

Indeed, Neil Patrick Harris would be an excellent cocky, snide rival.

I assume we're talking about the Neil Patrick Harris that Neil Patrick Harris played, and not actual RL Neil Patrick Harris (who doesn't act like that at all, allegedly).

notsoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I mean the fake Neil Patrick Harris played by the real Neil Patrick Harris in that movie where the two dopefiends rode a cheetah.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, I'm not adverse to running my own little side campaign, but my original thought was setting up an evil organization with a large number of minions and flunkies. They'd come in and out as Marsh needed them. Then, there would be lieutenants in the Team Wang organization. Those would be actual PCs.

For example, in the cartoon, the lucky winners were Ash and his ever changing entourage. Us rejects would be Jessie, James, the two competent ones that I can't remember, etc. However, we'd also make a few thugs and toughs that would be the faceless goons that would probably be the generic Team Wang member.

Of course... Now, I'm thinking that running a heist game in the world of Pokemon would be kinda badass...

I shall go and meditate upon these truths.*

I ate way too much and am going to go sink into a food coma.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Since Marsh knows the system better than anyone else, maybe he could help with giving a little bit bad guy flair to some of the classes mechanically, like converting "Ace Trainer" to "Grunt" or "Researcher" to "Mad Scientist."

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hmm, I was thinking more along the lines of "parallel campaign in the same world". We could try and do our own thing and at significant points in the story our campaign would intersect with theirs

Whatever works though

ed: it could be like as the result of our dastardly deeds that the PCs arrive at say Vermillion, which has not been taken over by team WANG's presence. When the NPCs ask them for help they decide to assault TW's evil headquarters

Or something

ed: but I really love cap's idea of the PCs fighting WANG flunkies up to lieutenants and such

Rent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Hmm, I was thinking more along the lines of "parallel campaign in the same world". We could try and do our own thing and at significant points in the story our campaign would intersect with theirs

Whatever works though

Yeah, I'm thinking that might be the path this ends up going, but I'm still waiting on Marsh to get a little bit of the nitty gritty down.

Just, well, most "adventures" would probably be a heist of some kind.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If memory serves, the creator of the game (and some of the fans) was working on supplements that provided bad-guy specific things, such as the ability to retreat and evade the police if caught red-handed.

There really isn't so much to convert, at least not at low levels - much of it will just be rolling checks to do different things. The real problem is finding a way to re-fluff most higher-level feats to be in line with criminals who don't do much of the breeding or badge thing.

Honestly, I think running our own group that occasionally meets Marsh's group is best, especially if we still accomplish our original goal by besting them in a battle, outperforming them at something, or otherwise stymieing them or pissing them off every time we run into them. We can accustom ourselves to the way the system is intended to work, hopefully giving us a better understanding of how to make it work in ways it wasn't quite designed to...yet, at least.

notsoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well it could be a situation where it's a more mafia-like organization. So breeding etc would be useful, because instead of stealing some stupid moron's lameo pikachu or trying to get a legendary or trying to destroy the world and remake it in their image ( o_O, btw to that) or whatever Aqua and Magma wanted to do fuck them they were shit gen III was shit it could be more about dominance and market manipulation, so cornering the breeding/training/gym leading/etc market would lead to more power both literal, figurative, and financial

ed: related, but I think that if this leads to where it looks like it's leading, there should be an honor rule for all players not to look at the other campaign's....campaign.

Rent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I am just gonna say this right now:

I call the position of an undercover cop who's in too deep

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Whatever works though

ed: it could be like as the result of our dastardly deeds that the PCs arrive at say Vermillion, which has not been taken over by team WANG's presence. When the NPCs ask them for help they decide to assault TW's evil headquarters.

This would be what I'd be most happy with, if the GMs kept up with each other's games it would be fun to have the groups hearing of each others' exploits, and coming across the effects of each others' adventures.

The problem with having characters straight up fight each other in my mind, is the competitiveness would get in the way of fun. Whereas if the player's were trying to mess with each other without outright battling, you could get some pretty interesting situations and worry less about having optimized pokemon for when the other team decides to roll into town and steamroll you for giggles.

Imagine going to a town for the first time and finding everyone hates you because the other party was there first and spread rumors about your group? Or going to find a special item and whoops, it's been replaced with an unsavory note from our rivals who got there first, the scoundrels!

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The problem with having characters straight up fight each other in my mind, is the competitiveness would get in the way of fun.

Plus Team WANG would always win, and always dominating gets kinda old after a while
    :P

Rent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The problem with having characters straight up fight each other in my mind, is the competitiveness would get in the way of fun.

Plus Team WANG would always win, and always dominating gets kinda old after a while
    :P

This is why the big fight gets interrupted because of a terrible Legendary that has awoken and we have to team up to beat it.

EDIT: Anyway, I think actual battling should happen but that it should be rare.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Something like during a league tournament, or whatever.

See if you guys can't win a fair fight.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This would be what I'd be most happy with, if the GMs kept up with each other's games it would be fun to have the groups hearing of each others' exploits, and coming across the effects of each others' adventures.

The problem with having characters straight up fight each other in my mind, is the competitiveness would get in the way of fun. Whereas if the player's were trying to mess with each other without outright battling, you could get some pretty interesting situations and worry less about having optimized pokemon for when the other team decides to roll into town and steamroll you for giggles.

Imagine going to a town for the first time and finding everyone hates you because the other party was there first and spread rumors about your group? Or going to find a special item and whoops, it's been replaced with an unsavory note from our rivals who got there first, the scoundrels!

Notsoy was here
    Tommy2Hands is a loser

Just as a frame of reference, guys, legendaries should really only be appearing if it fits the scale of the campaign, or if they're the BBEG (or the BBEG's target), or if the GM is sick of his group being a bunch of shitbags and decides they need to be fed the business end of an Aeroblast. A more suitable alternative to this is "Exploding Gravelers fall, everyone dies".

And catching them is out of the question unless the GM allots someone a Master Ball. All legendaries are listed as sporting a Capture Rate of zero, and are furthermore exempt from most circumstances that compel Pokemon to obey you (having eight badges and/or a class-specific feat, etc.). Short of running into one of the friendlier legendaries (Mew, Celebi, Lati@s, Jirachi, Manaphy, Shaymin), all you can do is be nice to it, and fervently hope it doesn't squish your brain, eat you, or otherwise unceremoniously end you beforehand.

On the other hand:
    Summon _______
    Weekly Feat - Summon ____ to you for a pokemon battle.
    It leaves after.

notsoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I mean that's exactly how legendaries should be handled in this sort of thing.

Maybe not some of the lesser legendaries, like the bird trio where it's implied that they're not one-of-a-kind but just extremely rare.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I mean that's exactly how legendaries should be handled in this sort of thing.

Maybe not some of the lesser legendaries, like the bird trio where it's implied that they're not one-of-a-kind but just extremely rare.

Well, they DO appear in Sinnoh, which is way too far away from Kanto to not seriously consider there being more than one.

Also, to help put things in perspective, the PTA dex's legendaries section places Heatran in the Ground/Mineral groups with a 40-day egg hatching time, whereas Lugia and Ho-oh are in the None group with a (admittedly irrelevant) 75-day egg hatching time.

Oh, and here's some legendary mons' unique capabilities, lifted from the handbook documents:

Some legendary Pokemon can change their form into a human like body that retains their power but would fool anyone who does not know of the Pokemon’s disguise. In this human form, they may retain all Capabilities, Abilities and Moves.
    (Latias, Latios, Deoxys, Darkrai, Cresselia and Arceus are among the legendaries who can do this)

Blank Slate
    If a Trainer looks into Uxie’s eyes, their Intelligence and Wisdom will be set to 0, permanently. Uxie’s eyes are usually shut. Uxie may open its eyes on a roll of 20 on 1d20 once every month.

Divine
    Arceus cannot lose HP until it has been dealt 10,000 points of damage in less than one hour.

Void Heart
    If a Trainer touches Mesprit, their Wisdom and Charisma will be lowered 6 points each, permanently. They cannot feel emotionally, permanently. Mesprit tends to avoid humans.

Wish Granter
    Jirachi has three tags on its body, which will grant any wish that is written on them. Only one wish will be granted per tag. A wish on a tag will remain on the tag for 1d100 + 50 years, at which point the written wish will fade.

notsoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    New OP is New.

Character Sign Ups are Open.

Random Caps are Cool.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    New OP is New.

Character Sign Ups are Open.

Random Caps are Cool.

awright i'll resubmit with a more evil backstory

edit: so i decided to completely change my character. do you want them level 1 or level 0?

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill