As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Any suggestions for Strategy games?

I have:
    Red Alert 1 & 2.
    Dawn of discovery + Venice (Love this game, wish the combat was a bit more)
    Supreme Commander 2
    Company of Heroes
    Cities XL
    Evil Genius
    Spell Force 2
    Commando's 1-3
    Majesty 2.

Any suggestions since all these sales going on? I love me some builders/Strategy games. Have I missed any gems in there I should look for?

You missed the X-Com sale. That's a fantastic strategy game.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I have:
    Red Alert 1 & 2.
    Supreme Commander 2
    Company of Heroes
    Cities XL
    Evil Genius
    Spell Force 2
    Commando's 1-3
    Majesty 2.

Any suggestions since all these sales going on? I love me some builders/Strategy games. Have I missed any gems in there I should look for?

I've never played them myself, but the W40k: Dawn of War games seem to be popular these days.

THQ complete pack has both of them + expansions, too.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    hmmm seems like a lot of people are having the same problem with Saints Row 2 as I am: crashing to desktop either before the game even starts, or right after the gamespy screen.

Try either disabling your second monitor (if you have one,) and/or running in windowed mode. If it crashes before you can actually get to your settings then try using this settings.dat file which already has windowed mode set:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1268028

thanks, i'll give this a shot!

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I have:
    Red Alert 1 & 2.
    Supreme Commander 2
    Company of Heroes
    Cities XL
    Evil Genius
    Spell Force 2
    Commando's 1-3
    Majesty 2.

You missed the X-Com sale. That's a fantastic strategy game.

Played that, forgot to list it, thanks though.

Dawn of War huh? I'll take a look at it I guess. Something about the gameplay video's didn't grip me the first time I looked at it when it came out.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I have:
    Red Alert 1 & 2.
    Supreme Commander 2
    Company of Heroes
    Cities XL
    Evil Genius
    Spell Force 2
    Commando's 1-3
    Majesty 2.

The Freedom Force bundle seems like it's in your general wheelhouse and is well worth the current sub-$2 sale price.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mind you, that has no effect if the game is able to get to a logo for you. It only works if the game window never even shows up.

I've also made that warning in the post on the Steam boards a little more... noticeable.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah definitely get Freedom Force. Its squad based strategy. Basically, you have a small group of super heroes and you gotta use them topunch Nazis. Its good times.

Also, as mentioned above, the Dawn of War series is fantastic. DoW1 and its expansions is more about the large scale battles and it has traditional base building, while DoW2 is a very small scale focus with a lot of RPG elements thrown in. (And no base building in DoW2).

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyone else getting this problem with Pirates of the European Seas? The game icon artwork is not showing up in List View, and it's making me pretty irritated. Any solutions?

18045838.th.png

Slimcea on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I have:
    Red Alert 1 & 2.
    Supreme Commander 2
    Company of Heroes
    Cities XL
    Evil Genius
    Spell Force 2
    Commando's 1-3
    Majesty 2.

I've never played them myself, but the W40k: Dawn of War games seem to be popular these days.

THQ complete pack has both of them + expansions, too.
    Also, it has company of heroes as well. And is only $10 more than the current (non sale?) price of DoW2+expansion

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm on the fence about Bad Company 2.

Does it still have a good online community?

Basically I'm trying to decide between BC2, The THQ pack, and the Telltale Pack.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Honestly, I really do like BC2, but the THQ pack will give you way more gameplay for your money. But then again, most of the stuff there is strategy games, which are a completely different kind of gameplay than BC2

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gah, my most expensive day by far. Riddick and BC2, though I'm still at less than a full priced new console game spent on the entire sale, which is my self-imposed cap. Here's hoping for a nice ten dollar-ish deal tomorrow to cap it all off.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it's like, I know that the THQ is more value/$, but I don't enjoy RTS near as much as I do FPS, so it's a hard thing to weigh.

My main issue with the telltale pack is that I never know when I'll find time to go through everything.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mind you, that has no effect if the game is able to get to a logo for you. It only works if the game window never even shows up.

I've also made that warning in the post on the Steam boards a little more... noticeable.

i never get a game window at all. i'll see if it works.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i never get a game window at all. i'll see if it works.
    Let me know if it works. Of the people I've tried the fix with, who had that specific problem, it hasn't failed. But then, I've only got a sample of about 3 people.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Freedom Force seems to crash when I quit it.

Jakorian on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Jakorian wrote: »
    Freedom Force seems to crash when I quit it.

It's just helping you get back to the desktop faster.

I've heard FF is pretty buggy on newer systems.

Morkath on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, there were some comments about this Chrome game earlier; how is it? I watched some YouTube footage and it didn't seem very impressive, and then the guy picked something up and I nearly bought it right then because the inventory reminded me of Deus Ex. But, the rest of it still doesn't look that exciting, although the bit I saw was mostly just shooting.

I'm less concerned about the $2 than I am about having to make a trash tag for games I don't end up liking and don't want to see in list.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I checked my bank account and had more money than I thought I did, so I bit the bullet and got Bad Company 2. I'm going to pretend I got it for free and I didn't have that money in the first place, it feels better that way.

2.5 hours on the download.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm so glad I'm stuck out here in this craphole with 16kb/s internet. I would be buying and downloading everything, only to play for 5 mins and move on to the next game. I really need to stop doing that. My backlog is ridiculously long.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I checked my bank account and had more money than I thought I did, so I bit the bullet and got Bad Company 2. I'm going to pretend I got it for free and I didn't have that money in the first place, it feels better that way.

That's very delusional of you. I should give it a try when I buy Metro 2033.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I'm interested in JC2 and Metro 2033. Is JC2 a good port and is Metro a stable, non buggy mess?

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is Dragon Age supposed to start having loading times longer than the stairway to heaven after a few hours of playing it?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Cronus wrote: »

That's very delusional of you. I should give it a try when I buy Metro 2033.

I create my own reality! All is well!

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    DA had, or apparently still has, a significant memory leak issue. I think it may have been caused in part by the gore splatters, so you could try turning those off. Denerim may have its own issues.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, there were some comments about this Chrome game earlier; how is it? I watched some YouTube footage and it didn't seem very impressive, and then the guy picked something up and I nearly bought it right then because the inventory reminded me of Deus Ex. But, the rest of it still doesn't look that exciting, although the bit I saw was mostly just shooting.

I'm less concerned about the $2 than I am about having to make a trash tag for games I don't end up liking and don't want to see in list.

It's challenging in a lot of respects. The enemy isn't that smart, but they are accurate. The game rewards a planned approach. A little ways into the game you get a set of implants, which makes it even more like Deus Ex or Crysis. Crysis is the better comparison in a lot of ways. The levels are large, and the only time the game gets linear is when you go into an interior, which requires no loading. Interior sections are brief but intense Close Quarters Battle stuff. Your implants can be used to give you a brief boosts to things like accuracy, recoil, running speed, bullet resistance and a bullet time mode. In a lot of ways it feels like the game that Unreal 2 should have been. It's about on the same par graphically speaking. Level designs I've seen so far have been jungles and forests with Cameron/Verhoevon style pre-fab and poured concrete sci fi buildings. The levels have been a lot of fun. Sneaking around is cool. Motion detector is awesome. Being able to pick what gear you take with you is nice. The binoculars are super fucking useful.

If you like stuff like Farcry or Crysis, you'll dig this. The worst thing I can say about it is that character models haven't aged well, the sound isn't great, there is some bad voice acting, the story isn't anything special (but it's not actively horrible either), it has some on-rails shooting sections (I don't mind these but some people do) and it has a hacking minigame based on Memory (it's easy enough though).

I'm about seven hours into this according to Steam and from what I've read I've got a good bit of game left, so the single player is a decent length apparently. The thing I'm digging is the gameplay. You can creep around levels, plan your avenues of attack, use implants to get brief but very decisive edges (there are two in particular that make you a CQB Wrecking Ball for a short time), and all kinds of things. Shooting is on the tactical side, headshots are instant kills. Enemies will come after you and work together. Stealth seems to be a viable approach. It has some fairly solid, well thought out gameplay in a pretty by the numbers look and feel sci fi universe. You are basically playing just another merc, out trying to make a buck, who gets caught up in corporate highjinx.

Fuck it, man. Get it. It's totally worth two bucks.

edit: Oh yeah, guns. It's all sci fi versions of modern hand guns, assault rifle etc. There are a lot of them, they all fit into their own roles and have certain considerations when using them. Mainly inventory and stealth considerations. And the rag doll physics are ridiculous fun, especially with some of the heavier guns. Bullets in the future hit dudes hard.

Drake on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So Champions online is only 6 bucks and change. How has it shaped up since launch? Worth it or no?

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is anyone else getting a completely blank server browser for Bad Company 2? I'm starting to regret this purchase...

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    So I'm interested in JC2 and Metro 2033. Is JC2 a good port and is Metro a stable, non buggy mess?
    Just Cause 2 PC is, without a doubt, the best Just Cause 2 experience.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting a completely blank server browser for Bad Company 2? I'm starting to regret this purchase...

There are tons of problems with it, it's a pretty dreadful port. The thread should have a bunch of tweaks and mods that can make it playable, at least.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

There are tons of problems with it, it's a pretty dreadful port. The thread should have a bunch of tweaks and mods that can make it playable, at least.

Wha wha? There are no issues for it, hit refresh.

BC2 is probably the best thing you can get on this sale. I bought it at full price, and it was worth every penny.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Masume wrote: »

BC2 is probably the best thing you can get on this sale. I bought it at full price, and it was worth every penny.

Don't tell me that! I chose JC2 over BC2. Don't make me regret my purchase!

Dourin on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Totally different. BC2 is a solid multiplayer shooter with awesome vehicles, and JC2 is all about causing singleplayer carnage and chaos.

Arrath on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I bought it full price and I can't play it because it runs like dogshit and it shouldn't. :(

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I approve of the new thread title.

Jakorian on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it's a little early isn't it

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Fuck it, man. Get it. It's totally worth two bucks.

Hey, sounds pretty rad. Thanks for the write up; downloading now.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So Champions online is only 6 bucks and change. How has it shaped up since launch? Worth it or no?

I'm enjoying it so far. The character creator is amazing.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Is Dragon Age supposed to start having loading times longer than the stairway to heaven after a few hours of playing it?

It suffers from a few memory leaks in certain places. Most notably the Deep Roads.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kelor wrote: »
    I booted up Gothic 2, went to walk to the top of the tower you start in and it just turned into a total slideshow.

I'm not sure if it's because of the fire from the torches or all the trees below it was trying to render.

There's an issue with Gothic 2 and nvidia cards running in Win7 (and likely Vista) where any outdoor area becomes a slideshow and then crashes the game. This post has step-by-step instructions for a workaround. Unfortunately, the link in step 3 is busted; use the link in this post instead.

Hope this helps.

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.