As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weekly Release Thread [6/28 - 7/3]: Lego HP, DeathSmiles, N3II, Sin & Punishment II

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
Taking care of this for Slash000 while he's away.

I skipped last week's because there was only one or two games worth mentioning.
Welcome to the 117 edition of G&T's newly traditional "Weekly Games Release Thread!" - Week 6/13/10 - 6/20/10 !

Where we discuss what we're looking forward to, what we're going to buy, and what we're just now realizing is being released this week that we had forgotten about!

PC

960603_125586.jpg
(Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4)

996663_169515.jpg
(ArmA II: Combined Operations)

PS3

956436_117837.jpg
(Singularity)

960091_161823.jpg
(Trinity Universe)

Imports

988981_161889.jpg
(BlazBlue: Continuum Shift)

952641_155327.jpg
(DeathSmiles)

956436_117837.jpg
(Singularity)

960603_125586.jpg

954476_114156.jpg
(Ninety Nine Nights III)

991134_161035.jpg
(Sniper: Ghost Warrior)

PSP

960628_125660.jpg
(Hot Shots Tennis: Get A Grip)

Wii

991475_161496.jpg
([strike]Avatar:[/strike] The Last Airbender)

960493_125414.jpg

Pretty mixed week. Deathsmiles for shmups, which will be awesome(it's a Cave shooter), Harry Potter Lego on dang near every console around, and Trinity Universe if you desperately need another Idea Hacktory RPG.

I hear Ninety Nine Nights II has...

ONE MILLION TWOOPS

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That man's accent is hypnotic.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woooooooooow.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Looks like I'm going to buy my first on-disc based 360 game in a year.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd probably pick up N3II.

Wel, maybe when it hits the bargain bin.

And only if I confirmed that they actually put in checkpoints this time round, 45 minute level with the only challenge being a dick of a boss at the end, dying and having to start at the beginning... No.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Leaving right now to pick up Lego Harry Potter

The reviews have me pretty excited

EDIT: I mean damn, 9/10 from Eurogamer for a Lego game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i find myself really wanting to play singularity, even though its almost assuredly going to be totally mediocre. i dont understand it.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    N3II? Are you fucking kidding me? Who the fuck thought that was a good name

Also UV I love your avvie + sig combo

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    i find myself really wanting to play singularity, even though its almost assuredly going to be totally mediocre. i dont understand it.

Reviews are decent to good

It feels like it's been delayed forever.

I remember them talking about it back on 1-Up Yours, so...back in like mid-2008, I think, was when I stopped listening to that.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    its got wait for the bargain bin written all over it, so thats what i'll do. my plate is full to the brim right now anyway, gamewise.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If I wanted a competent brawler with light RTS elements. I'll go play Brutal Legend. There was only one reason people downloaded the demo to N3.

Now what I am exited for is Deathsmiles.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    something about Brutal Legend

Oh hi Cantido

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    its got wait for the bargain bin written all over it, so thats what i'll do. my plate is full to the brim right now anyway, gamewise.

It's actually been getting 8s and 8.5s for reviews as of now but we'll see how it develops. I already bought it though so I can't really back out now. Should be here soon enough and Ill give the low-down.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ESRB was thorough. Deathsmiles got ding'd due to blood, profanity and dem hips.
    What did the watchful eyes of the ESRB find questionable in Deathsmiles? Splotches of blood and some suggestive poses are listed in this description.

This is a side-scrolling shooter in which players control one of five small characters that fly through the air and destroy fantastical creatures to save the world. Players shoot an array of projectiles (bombs, bullets, scythes, swords, etc.) at pumpkins, spiders, apples, and monsters in constant air battle. Enemies and objects explode in fiery bursts, breaking apart into tiny, brightly-colored particles; when players are hit, small droplets of blood will scatter. Blood also appears on the face of a giant boss creature’s head. A menu screen depicts the five central characters posing suggestively in revealing outfits. A couple of static images depict the female characters with partially exposed pelvis and buttocks (e.g., a fairy creature and the heroines bathing). Language such as "a*s" and "bastard" appears in the game.

My God, they're actually doing their job. It shocks me that Aksys has chosen to play up the loli theme. The back of the box says "Death smiles at us all. Lolis smiles back." I shit you not. I've heard of players ordering this online specifically to avoid being seen with the large box it comes in. But my desire for instant gratification, and the fact the game is genuinely badass, overrides any self-consciousness. The Gamestop clerk wanted the game too, which helps.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    After being wholly unimpressed with Lego Indian Jones, I find myself kind of excited about Lego Hairy Potter. I think I'll wait and see what the next installment adds, and then decide if it's worth picking up both games.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ONE MIRRION!!

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    After being wholly unimpressed with Lego Indian Jones, I find myself kind of excited about Lego Hairy Potter. I think I'll wait and see what the next installment adds, and then decide if it's worth picking up both games.

Lego Indiana Jones 1?

Because 2 and HP have apparently done some pretty different things with the Lego formula.

I'm not far enough to see what they are yet, but I know that I'm enjoying the hell out of this one so far, even after being disappointed with Lego Indy and Batman.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    and Trinity Universe if you desperately need another Idea Hacktory RPG.

...that's really good and fun to play like their others.

I can't waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hey guys

Lego Harry Potter kicks ass

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey guys

Lego Harry Potter kicks ass

How is it compared to the Star Wars games? They were fun for about an hour and then I never wanted to see them again.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I got bored of Lego games after Lego Star Wars II

I tried both Indy and Batman and neither held my attention for long

I've been playing HP on and off all day and still having fun with it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    you completely forgot sin and punishment 2

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TelMarine wrote: »
    you completely forgot sin and punishment 2

Was just going to say the same thing. Can't wait for it to arrive on my doorstep tomorrow!

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Didn't show up in GameFAQs listing. Ah well.

I want it too.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Street date was Sunday, so they may have been counting it in last week's releases.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I picked up Sniper: Ghost Warrior, and I'm enjoying it. The campaign brings back memories of Sniper Elite, with a heavy emphasis on sneaking around and taking apart squads of enemies with carefully lined up headshots. The online isn't going to win over a lot of followers, with its complete lack of a leveling and advancement system. But it's kind of fun, at least in Team Deathmatch mode.

So far, it's a lot better than I've come to expect from budget titles. I nearly gave this one the miss when I saw the low review scores City Interactive pulled in with their previous Sniper games for the PC, but I'm glad I gave it a chance.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    virtualboyvirtualboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd give it a try, I think the humor in the Lego Harry Potter intro scene alone will win you over. It's a really fun game!

virtualboy on
    acunningplan.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For anyone considering Trinity Universe:

just don't bother.
    Graphics: 75%
    Sound: 57%
    Gameplay: 74%
    Control: 60%
    Story: 45%
    Overall: 63%

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Deathsmiles is awesome beyond my wildest expectations. Even with infinite credits from the get go, it it not a small game.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    For anyone considering Trinity Universe:

just don't bother.
    Graphics: 75%
    Sound: 57%
    Gameplay: 74%
    Control: 60%
    Story: 45%
    Overall: 63%

I don't think I would trust RPGfan. They did give Drakengard an 80 when it clearly deserves -50.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I can't believed I almost skipped Sin and Punishment. That game is basically Wiikaruga. I can't believe I had the thought that because it wasn't a 2-d shump, that it would be a blah game from Treasure.

Between that and Deathsmiles, that's so many lasers for the 4th of July...

Cantido on