As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

All-Star Bitching Thread: BT3

1575859606163»

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Any X-Men story which does not involve their customary level of bitching and angst is by definition better than any story which does. And vampires pretty much equal angst ("She's still the same Jubilee!" "No she isn't, we must stake her through the heart!" "I caaaaan't!") so, you know, that's not really a great move.

Unless it includes Marvel Dracula, in which case go for it guys!

Solar on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Brubaker is doing space again in Secret Avengers

which is why Nova is out of character, why won't you accept this.

And the last Whedon Astonishing X-Men arc in space wasn't that great, I mean Breakworld wasn't that interesting (they have all this weaponry but don't have a hospital or medicine?). The part where Cyclops just goes crazy at the end is cool, but everything else, meh.

But other space stories are good, like that Claremont/Jim Lee space story around Uncanny #272-276.

TexiKen on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Imperial was a good X-Men in space story.

Bloods End on
    edited July 2010
    Well yeah, it was Morrison's New X-Men run, so it's instantly better than most other X-Men stories.

TexiKen on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nova is not out of character!

He wasn't even there long enough to be out of character

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

If he was in the background of a single panel wearing a pink tutu, would that not be enough to be out of character?

EDIT: ANd a Rulk Variant? Are people really paying for Rulk variants now?

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010

If he was in the background of a single panel wearing a pink tutu, would that not be enough to be out of character?

No it wouldn't

That pink tutu could be a tactical decision

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010

No it wouldn't

Nova would wear a pink tutu if doing so enabled his defeat of anihilation bugs. He hates them you know.

However Nova seemed rather inexperienced in the first issue and then in the second one cap berated himself for sending "that boy" in alone. Yeah Cap, I'm sure if you'd been there to help the class 100 invulnerable flying energy blaster (who was a commander in one of the bloodiest wars in universal history) with your shield there'd be no problems.

Solar on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Consider yourself lucky, its probably the worst Spider-Man tale ever.

Not really a spider-man story but...

Ow. Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Im glad that up to this point I'd never heard of that.

See here for a little more detail.

Ultimate Adventures in the same class as Trouble and Sins Past? Dream on, Comics Alliance.

Seriously. Their reasoning for it was so stupid. 'It commits the greatest sin, being boring.' Really? That's worse than all the others in this list?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2010
    Solar wrote: »

No it wouldn't

Nova would wear a pink tutu if doing so enabled his defeat of anihilation bugs. He hates them you know.

However Nova seemed rather inexperienced in the first issue and then in the second one cap berated himself for sending "that boy" in alone. Yeah Cap, I'm sure if you'd been there to help the class 100 invulnerable flying energy blaster (who was a commander in one of the bloodiest wars in universal history) with your shield there'd be no problems.

You seriously need to get over your Nova boner.

That is the most ridiculously petty complaint I have ever heard. I am sorry that one line of dialogue was not about how radical and awesome and handsome and strong Nova is. Cap berating himself because he sent a single man into a hostile situation and lost contact with him is perfectly valid and takes nothing away from Nova whatsoever. And Cap is allowed to call Nova "that boy" because Cap is older than Nova. And, despite how awesome you want to make him, and despite the wars Nova has been through recently, Cap is about a billion times more experienced.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    you see what you did solar

you made me nerd rage at you

me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Your opinions never cease to amaze me.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited July 2010
    you see what you did solar

you made me nerd rage at you

me

Sorry sweetie.

Solar on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So you know how Hulk and She-Hulk are outward manifestations of their alter-ego's repressed qualities, at least in some stories?

Is the same true of Red Hulk? If so, what aspect of Ross' personality gave rise to the Red Hulk?

Robos A Go Go on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So you know how Hulk and She-Hulk are outward manifestations of their alter-ego's repressed qualities, at least in some stories?

Is the same true of Red Hulk? If so, what aspect of Ross' personality gave rise to the Red Hulk?

I would say he's a dick, but that's not exactly repressed.

Fencingsax on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Red Hulk is an expression of his repressed desire to shave his mustache.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    She-Rulk has the same manifestation excuse as the other hulks, being all the pent up anger at bruce and whatnot. But Rulk was meant to be more in control of his other side. But i guess Ross always wanted control. Of hulk, betty, villains, military, etc, so Rulk could just be an extension of that side of ross?

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rulk represents ross's unbridled capacity to be a shit to everyone in his life.

Gaddez on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    that rulk vampire variant is hilarious, the hell.

Angry on
    edited July 2010
    Angry wrote: »
    that rulk vampire variant is hilarious, the hell.

but angry

it features a character that the internet doesn't like!

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    God, i just had this horrible idea that marvel is gonna keep making characters that fans hate just so they can keep being "indie" by using them in varient covers or giving them their own series... Bad Marvel, bad!

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    After this thread I am convinced Ultimate Spider-Man is the only Spdier-Man. He is cool. He gets the girls, he beats up baddies, he gives Nick Fury shit, his Aunt is a hippie, he hangs out with his own super team, he was doing pretty well with his Daily Bugle job until the city got busted. 616 Spidey is in comparison a loser with serious issues that needs a therapist right now.

Why can't this be in the OP of every comic thread?

It's simple proof: Ultimate Spider-Man is awesome and completely not-terrible.

I read about shit like Gwen's bastard children and that OMD still won't end, and I close my eyes real hard, repress the memories, and then breathe a sigh of relief while going back to reading Ultimate Spider-Man.

Ahhh, Ultimate Spider-Man....8-)

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited July 2010
    After this thread I am convinced Ultimate Spider-Man is the only Spdier-Man. He is cool. He gets the girls, he beats up baddies, he gives Nick Fury shit, his Aunt is a hippie, he hangs out with his own super team, he was doing pretty well with his Daily Bugle job until the city got busted. 616 Spidey is in comparison a loser with serious issues that needs a therapist right now.

Why can't this be in the OP of every comic thread?

It's simple proof: Ultimate Spider-Man is awesome and completely not-terrible.

I read about shit like Gwen's bastard children and that OMD still won't end, and I close my eyes real hard, repress the memories, and then breathe a sigh of relief while going back to reading Ultimate Spider-Man.

Ahhh, Ultimate Spider-Man....8-)

Thats the writers though. It doesn't take even an iota of common sense to see that retconning Gwen into a golddigger who got knocked up with two super babies and having Osborn, who takes nothing but pride in his spawn if they achieve, convincing them they're someone elses was utterly retarded. Not edgy, not memorable, just retarded. Or that making a deal with the devil to save Aunt May instead of just letting her die or using the myriad of magic and technology available to save her is in itself retarded. I don't understand how this stuff gets beyond the concept stage.

Or if its by editorial mandate, how that person became editor.

I think what Id like to see is a writer come in and immediately discredit Sins Past by saying they were both just clones Osborn created using his DNA and that from strands of hair of Gwens he nabbed when on the bridge with her. Gwen absolved.

The totem thing is written out in some way, the Spider spirit chose Parker as her avatar but had no hand in his creation, something like that.

Then one of two things to happen with May:
    1) She marries JJJs father and they both decide they'd like to retire somewhere more exotic and less filled with supervillains, moving to Hawaii or even Spain or somewhere very far away. Peter admits he will miss her but is happy that SHE is getting on with HER life.
    2) On the day of the wedding May doesn't turn up, Peter goes to find her and discovers her dead, not from supervillainy but just of natural old people causes.

She gives the house to Peter or leaves it to him, either way, its all paid off so he only has to worry about taxes or whatever, not the daily grind of rent, so he throws himself into superheroing for a while instead. If she died he throws on the black costume and becomes totally absorbed in stopping crime, using the hero life the same way a drunk uses alcohol, to escape the pain of Mays death instead of dealing with it. Could make for an interesting story.

If she lives he does the same without the depression and black suit but without any civvies to worry about he goes about superheroing more and more like an addiction without anyone to draw him back into his mundane civilian life.

Then, no retarded stuff for a few years like one-shotting Sentry or flipping a crazy switch in Osborn and no more clones of Parker ever.

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010
    They won't do it. It's easy to accomplish, it's what people want and they simply won't ever do it. And i will never stop hating them for it.

Not that said hate will stop me from spending money on their product weekly.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Yeah, X-Men are now fighting vampires.

And before Second Coming can even finish, this week the X-Men start their next big event, with a new $4 ongoing, fighting vampires.

There is not a single part of this I do not like

I am a fan of the X-Men and their zany adventures in space or fighting vampires

Not so much the angsty fighting Magneto and Apocalypse and and the greatest monster of all, intolerance adventures

Intolerance is my favorite X-Men archenemy. They always handle it like pussies and end up losing most of the time anyway.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How come we lost the Spider-man thread, yet have 2 bitching threads? heh.

or have they become one and the same?

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    edited July 2010
    anyone can make a new Spider-Man thread, but usually after 100 pages threads are locked and a new one takes it's place. It's just a matter of someone caring enough about Spider-Man to make it.

TexiKen on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2010
    How come we lost the Spider-man thread, yet have 2 bitching threads? heh.

or have they become one and the same?

everyone assumed TexiKen was going to make a new one because he's out to make every thread in this forum

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2010
    Texi just saw that the Spider-Man thread and the bitching thread served the same purpose.

DarkWarrior on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Texi just saw that the Spider-Man thread and the bitching thread served the same purpose.

They are one.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)