As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the answer to 'can i register X on steam' is no, 95% of the time

see the OP for further details

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So Direct2Drive has Witcher up for 50% off. $9.99 instead of Steam's $13.39.

http://www.direct2drive.com/6763/product/Buy-The-Witcher:-Enhanced-Edition-Director's-Cut-Download

So the question is, can it be registered through Steam?

No, its from Direct 2 Drive, why would it register on steam? It isn't a Steam game, you can buy it in a box, it doesn't use Steam by default.
    A very few number of games can be registered on Steam with the CD Key, like Dawn of War II. I don't know if the Witcher does or not, but odds are no.

Darlan on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm fairly certain that Witcher outsold at least some of those bestsellers considering it was priced as a one day sale for about 2 days. Atari/CD Projekt, I am so disappoint.

EDIT It also doesn't help I have most of those games that are listed today.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OK, for the final day I'm considering:
    Red Faction: Gorilla, Thi3f and GRID.
    Seriously considering L4D2. I kinda need a shooter. How's the "pick up and play" community?

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Uuuuh, many things that have already been there. No Witcher, though, for you poor people who missed it.

Makes me wonder what they'll offer tomorrow.

Nothing?

Sale ends Monday at 10 AM Pacific time.

Oh wait, it's the 4th already. Well okay then.

No Witcher! My sympathy to everyone who missed it!

Witcher at $13.whatever is still a fantastic deal if anyone doesn't own the game. Not quite fantastic enough to re-buy if you already have a disc copy, though.

Remember, Witcher's got a sequel on the way. Another sale for it is inevitable, and if you've waited this long you should be fine holding out a little longer.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    For anyone considering getting Bad Company 2 who live somewhere nearish to the Chicago area, I'd recommend no: matchmaking seems to be broken, and there are only like four servers or so with less than a 100 ping, all of which have been full for the last day. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the likes of L4D2 and MW2, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options for good servers to play on.

Darlan on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guess now it's time to go through the big ass full list of games to find any last minute things

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    übergeek wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that Witcher outsold at least some of those bestsellers considering it was priced as a one day sale for about 2 days. Atari/CD Projekt, I am so disappoint.

Yeah, seriously. If The Witcher was a real, promoted 1-day say for 66% off I'm sure it would have outsold World Of Goo and Killing Floor at least.

Hopefully they'll bring it back as some sort of weekend/midweek deal soon.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guess now it's time to go through the big ass full list of games to find any last minute things

Probably a good idea. Maybe someone could compile a list of games that are "must-haves" before the deal ends?

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm thinking about getting the Civ 4 pack (already have the base installment of 4 on CD) and while of course it'd offer a lot of good gameplay, I'm wondering if I'll touch it again after 5 comes out. Hrm...

Darlan on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Borderlands and Trine or The Guild and Trine? What to do what to do.......

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting the Civ 4 pack (already have the base installment of 4 on CD) and while of course it'd offer a lot of good gameplay, I'm wondering if I'll touch it again after 5 comes out. Hrm...

Civ4 Colonization is more than worth the cost of the package alone.

get it, and purge the new world of natives and the smelly dutch

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

I'd say Borderlands. The Guild is a buggy mess, even with the fan patch.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just bought the two games on my wishlist since they weren't getting any cheaper: Majesty 2: Kingmaker expansion and Time Gentlemen, Please!

SteevL on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finally grabbed the id Super Pack. Also grabbed the Introversion complete pack because Uplink looks interesting. Not sure what else to grab, if anything. Maybe Defense Grid and the DLC. I tried the demo and enjoyed it, and it comes highly recommended from a friend. I'm not real big on tower defense games, though. I'm back to considering Killing Floor, but I just don't see myself really getting into the game and playing it for very long.

I was hoping for a nice sale on Warband. Shame it never came :(.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    a5ehren wrote: »

The Pirate edition of the Guild? I thought that one was alright? Also I've already completed Borderlands on the 360 albeit singleplayer.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drovek wrote: »
    OK, for the final day I'm considering:
    Red Faction: Gorilla, Thi3f and GRID.
    Seriously considering L4D2. I kinda need a shooter. How's the "pick up and play" community?

I'm murdering you. With my mind.

Also apparently my 3 GHz Core II Duo, 4 GB of RAM, and a GTX260 are below Civ IV Beyond the Sword's recommended specs of 1.8 GHz single-core processor, 512 MB of RAM, and a 128 MB video card. The game said so itself!

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My "no daily sale" purchase was Defense Grid + DLC even though I already have it on 360. This way I get more achievements and can play on PC while my wife Awakens and Ages Dragons. Also, it's hard to argue with full game + DLC for less than I paid for the base game over a year ago.

Just wish I'd gotten the DLC day one before somebody clued Steam in that it shouldn't be 50% off with the base game.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

The Pirate edition of the Guild? I thought that one was alright? Also I've already completed Borderlands on the 360 albeit singleplayer.

It's alright, but it's not what I'd call good. I'm a little pissed because my dynasty head just dropped dead at 25 for no god damn reason, though :P

a5ehren on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    To preface, I really like Burnout Paradise. That's the sort of racing I like (more arcade than sim).

Would I like any of the codemasters racing games (DiRT, FUEL, GRID)?

I got BOTP'd. Any thoughts?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The Guild certainly takes time to get into, especially with the fan patches/mods because it appears they make the game real hard - Getting your shack burned down within half an hour after start is pretty bad. :P

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It's alright, but it's not what I'd call good. I'm a little pissed because my dynasty head just dropped dead at 25 for no god damn reason, though :P

See, stuff like that makes me want Guild even more! Its completely fresh to me and Borderlands would be going through the same game I've already ran through numerous times on the console.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Could someone give me the lowdown on Trine?
    It's a 2d physics based puzzle platformer with fantastic presentation and level design. The only real problem with the game is that the difficulty curve is off, but asides from that it's a absolute steal for only 4$.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Since this is the last day and nothing's going down in price for this sale I'll start the pickups train.

Overlord Complete Pack 4.50
    SSHD Double Pack (US) 7.50
    Half-Life 1 1.99
    Max Payne Bundle 3.74
    Thief: Deadly Shadows 2.99
    Winterbottom 2.49
    Ghost Master 0.95
    Borderlands 10.19
    Borderlands DLC: Dr. Ned 3.39
    Borderlands DLC: Mad Moxxi 3.39
    Borderlands DLC: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx 3.39
    Half-Life 2 3.39
    Half-Life 2: Episode One 2.71
    Half-Life 2: Episode Two 2.71
    Mount and Blade: Warband 14.99

Total spent: 65.62
    Total games got: 19, counting DLC

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    To preface, I really like Burnout Paradise. That's the sort of racing I like (more arcade than sim).

GRID is the only one I recommend. I recall hearing Dirt was awful on the PC. FUEL is rubbish full stop despite having a great world. How they managed to naff it up is beyond me.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I didn't buy very much because I'm a bad person.

Defense Grid: The Awakening: $4.99
    Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 1 $0.99
    Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 2 $0.99
    Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 3 $0.99
    Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 4 $0.99
    Puzzle Kingdoms $1.00
    Star Wars: Empire at War: $4.99

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It's an often-annoying but good-looking and forgiving physics based platfomer.

The combat is simple but feels good, and even though the puzzles/traps will often cause you to mutter expletives under your breath, the checkpoints are regular, and when you re-spawn, the enemies you've killed don't, so you don't have to deal with the same bullshit again if you failed it the first time.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Probably a good idea. Maybe someone could compile a list of games that are "must-haves" before the deal ends?

Oh god damn it... i gave up on the action genre because i was halfway through it clicked on a game to check it out went back and it started me at the beginning of the list again

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Whats the take on Killing floor? I know it's completely different in concept to Borderlands but it's a co-op shooter for around half the price of Borderlands.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Whats the take on Killing floor? I know it's completely different in concept to Borderlands but it's a co-op shooter for around half the price of Borderlands.

It's like L4D but instead of fleeing from the zombies you hole up somewhere and shoot them after they break down the doors.

It's certainly fun but not as good as L4D. It's somewhat imbalanced (Some classes are simply useless) and the community isn't big on talking tactics.

Ferrus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I've had so much fun with it. But I guess that depends on your group.

Up to 6 players in maps where the only objective is to survive to the final wave and then defeat the Patriarch. Meanwhile you buy ammo and weapons between rounds with money you get from killing zeds. There are classes which are leveled individually that give bonuses to certain things.

Not sure if you can make a level comparison to Borderlands, they are REALLY different.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited July 2010

GRID is the only one I recommend. I recall hearing Dirt was awful on the PC. FUEL is rubbish full stop despite having a great world. How they managed to naff it up is beyond me.

Not sure. I haven't had any problems with DiRT 2 (and it's awesome so far. Well, except the xXxtreem stuff.)

I want to get GRID to get some variety of racing.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Sorcha RavenlockSorcha Ravenlock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    :( Looks like I really missed out on Majesty 2 then. I was hoping it would be down omn price again today, I'm not paying €15 for it.
    I'll grab Plants vs Zombies, and go through the list one more time to see if there's anything else I've missed.

Sorcha Ravenlock on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So, to the people that bought Gothic 3 - How playable is the game with the latest fan patch? Worth a thought at 7€?

Ferrus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ah, thanks fellas. I guess I'll pass. Only just bought L4D2 days ago and have yet to start that so I think I'll not bother with KF.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Haven't tried GRID, but Dirt 2 at least ran fantastically on my machine. Very good graphics at high FPS with little fuss. As a game, it's nice for what it is - an extremely polished offroad racing game - but it lacks both the insane crashes and open world of Burnout Paradise.

FUEL... If it's like a dollar or two, then do it just to gawk at the huge world. But for the love of god, don't try to actually play the thing. Just mod in the ability to teleport to any base, sight-see a little, and call it a day. It's a shame, really: if the devs hadn't, for reasons I could never understand, actively fought to stop modders (encrypted certain files, deleted any mod-related post on their forums), FUEL could have been reworked into something incredible.

I'll also note that FUEL runs really well even at high resolutions, but it has this weird visual effect that makes it look low-res even when it's not. Some people claim to have found ways to remove said filter, but I've never had any luck myself. Still, the lighting effects are excellent, and so long as you're driving fast, it works remarkably well.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blue map wrote: »
    It's a 2d physics based puzzle platformer with fantastic presentation and level design. The only real problem with the game is that the difficulty curve is off, but asides from that it's a absolute steal for only 4$.

This except it's not 2D, its a 3D sidescroller.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Trine $4
    Overlord Pack $4.50
    SSHD Double Pack $7.50
    Champions Online $6.79
    Zeno Clash + Audio Surf 6.25
    Introversion Pack + Cryostatis + NecroVision + Sol Survivor + Painkiller black $21.46
    Left 4 Dead + Shatter + Flatout $11.30
    The Void $5
    Thi3f: $3
    Beat Haard $2.49
    Chrome + Spec ford + Alpha Prime + Kings bounty gold + Freedom fighters pack $15.09

Total: $87.38

Now adding in the other June deals

Deux Ex collection $5
    Oblvion GOTY + Morrowind GOTY $13.50
    Metro 2033 + Plants VS Zombies $35
    Fallout 3 Goty $25
    Batman:AA $20
    Magic Duels of planeswalkers, Defense grid + all dlc $24
    $123

Total for June first to today

$210.38

For the amount of games I got I feel like I ripped someone off.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I could have sworn I read somehting about Dirt being rubbish on PC? o.O
    Trials 2 is only £2.99 which is awesome. Love that game. In cart right now with Trine. Might just forgo Trine in favour of Borderlands. Gah, Borderlands, why must you make matters so difficult!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drovek wrote: »

Not sure. I haven't had any problems with DiRT 2 (and it's awesome so far. Well, except the xXxtreem stuff.)

I want to get GRID to get some variety of racing.

So are they more sim-like or more arcade style?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.