As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LET'S PLAY] VVVVVV! Hmm? What's this? New levels?

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sucks that your IWBTG Let's Play got screwed, hopefully you can get it unbanned. It was a real good watch.

As for VVVVVV, like the other's said, that Text-to-Speech adds a lot, and fits so well. Great idea on that! Will be looking forward to the next part.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Part 2 is uploaded and is processing now. I went ahead and added the links to the OP, including the download location.

joshofalltrades on
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Excellent! I've played parts of this game, but the TTS makes watching it so much better.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    God you are so demanding josh

joshav.png

Why don't you come to bed honey, it's getting late and you did so much for me today

Part 2 is uploading now

Oh I can't stay mad at you

Also you missed a shiny

Also also fuck Please Forgive Me! fuck that screen so hard

Oh you might want to remove that space at the top of your sig before Thanatos does, josh

Rent on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There is no space at the top of my sig :?:

Also, maybe when I'm done with my blind run-through I'll go back and pick up the crap I missed because I wasn't looking at a walkthrough

joshofalltrades on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nice LP, and fun to watch/listen to you die.

Small complaint, try and keep your cursor out of the recording field though, That little dot on the video annoys me for some reason

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited July 2010
    Oh, hey, I didn't have to wait too long for Part 2. Very very nice job on "I'm Sorry" and "Please Forgive Me". I haven't played the game, but, well, that looked difficult enough to get on a few tries, much less one.

Darth_Mogs on
    edited July 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Nice LP, and fun to watch/listen to you die.

Small complaint, try and keep your cursor out of the recording field though, That little dot on the video annoys me for some reason

Sorry about that. My old recording software got rid of the cursor by default, and I'm still not used to FRAPS. I'll try and remember to move it next time.

joshofalltrades on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FRAPS leaves in the cursor? That's...odd. You'd think more people would have complained about that.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is fantastic and I eagerly await more.

Igel on
    edited July 2010
    New video on the way. This one is over 23 minutes long! This is where the language starts to get too much for little ears.

Strap yourselves in for a bit of a marathon. I wanted to cut it in half but I realized how much god damn trouble that would be and decided to just make this a long one.

This video contains the dreaded Veni Vidi Vici.

joshofalltrades on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Loving this LP, especially the text-to-speech (I would've recommended MorphVox for serious stuff, but the Microsoft Sam style just fits perfectly).

Also, the music to this game is brilliant. There's definitely something about SID/MIDI backing that I like (FFVI in particular was a great example of this).

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    edited July 2010
    Okay, it's uploading now. Blip says it'll be about an hour and 20 minutes.

Lots more text-to-speech dialogue in this one. Also, I'm pulling a retcon of sorts; Vitellary and Vermillion are switching voices. Upon reflection I decided that the voice I originally picked for Vermillion sounded kind of like the scientists from Half-Life, so Professor Vitellary gets that one instead.

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    Okay, part 3 is up for download only. They're still converting the video for online viewing on their end, so it's completely out of my hands, but if you feel like downloading a >23 min. long Let's Play video, go for it!

Just in case you don't feel like navigating back to the OP, here is the link to download.

joshofalltrades on
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The controls look like they slide a bit, or the games guy you play can build up some momentum.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    edited July 2010
    All right, part 3 is now up on the web. You can follow the link in the OP to get to it.

It's longer than parts 1 and 2 combined.

joshofalltrades on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Haha, this set was sweet on the ears.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    edited July 2010
    Man, it was a lot of work too

I know more people are watching it than are commenting because there are over 150 views today alone, but I wish those people would leave me some notes here

Even if it's "This sucks gonads dry", so I could know what to improve

joshofalltrades on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, here's one, make sure that you die before you make a cut in the death montages. A few times you started halfway through a jump, and went to the next cut for seemingly no reason.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited July 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Ok, here's one, make sure that you die before you make a cut in the death montages. A few times you started halfway through a jump, and went to the next cut for seemingly no reason.

It's because I couldn't see the preview window in my editing software when I made those cuts. It'll be better next time, because I'm returning the shitty software and going with something else. It took hours to get the thing rendered and uploaded so I didn't want to go back and make minor adjustments like that in favor of getting it out there tonight.

Thanks for the criticism though. Keep it coming, hopefully there's something I can fix that I wasn't aware of.

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    "You're a normal trombone! Kind of...like the rusty one. But not as bad." Hahaha.

The death montage was hilarious. Glad to see its return. I don't really mind the weird cuts but, yeah, if they could be deaths instead, then go for that.

Darth_Mogs on
    edited July 2010
    Look at it this way: the stuff I cut out of there is boring fluff, even if the cuts themselves aren't perfect.

Hopefully they will be soon.

joshofalltrades on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just now caught up on this and I'm loving it. I laughed so hard at the "can't hit the checkpoints" part that I woke my sister up upstairs. Will definitely be watching the rest, you are a soldier.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    edited July 2010
    The "Because I am an asshole" line killed me josh

Your LP needs more sardonic humor, you totally have the voice for it

Rent on
    edited July 2010
    From the LPer of IWBTG? We don't need that sort of guff in here, Hollywood!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited July 2010
    From the LPer of IWBTG? We don't need that sort of guff in here, Hollywood!

Fixed.

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    Watching the latest set. Laughing, having a good time, marveling at skill. Also hoping the kiddos are in a soundproof room far away from the computer room.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited July 2010
    Useless statistics!

People who are watching my LP used the following browsers/devices:

Firefox: 58.18%
    Chrome: 20.73%
    Internet Explorer: 10.55%
    Safari: 5.45%
    Opera: 2.18%
    MPlayer: 1.09%
    Mozilla: 0.73%
    Sony Playstation: 0.36%
    Windows Media Player: 0.36%
    iPad: 0.36%

Blip is quite a bit cooler than YouTube, for several reasons.

joshofalltrades on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Watched the first 3 sets last night. You have cemented that this is not a game for me despite loving the aesthetic and the gameplay premise. I can't believe some of the things they're asking of you and (after a little swearing) you're actually doing them.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I look forward to you trying to get that one shiny trinket. You know the one. The one I decided wasn't worth my sanity and walked away from.

Edit: Goodlord, you already did it in part three? Madness.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Really enjoying this so far. I can safely say that I would never buy this game simply because I would be guaranteed to have the neighbours set the cops on me for extreme use of bad language. I do like the text-to-voice thing. Very novel.

As a final note, be cautious with Blip. From what I hear, they can be a bit weird when it comes to LP's. Sometimes they're okay with them and sometimes they aren't and the criteria seems to be somewhat random and changes from day to day. Hopefully you won't have any problems with them.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So if you really want to bring the bad language, I suggest trying to get more than 15 seconds in the Gravitron.

ikillkenny on
    edited July 2010
    ikillkenny wrote: »
    So if you really want to bring the bad language, I suggest trying to get more than 15 seconds in the Gravitron.

I forget. Do you get a chance to redo it if you want?

joshofalltrades on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ikillkenny wrote: »

I forget. Do you get a chance to redo it if you want?
    Getting all the shiny things gets you to the secret lab where you can Gravitron to your heart's [strike]content[/strike] endless agony.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2010
    I can't believe you actually did Veni Vedi Veci

Holy shit fuck that level

Rent on
    edited July 2010
    Hahaha

The game's soundtrack, PPPPPP, has amazing cover art

gakcbaaca.jpg

EDIT:

I'm listening to the OST now, and holy shit, it holds up really well even outside the game

Pretty epic chiptune stuff

joshofalltrades on
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You constantly swearing for a few minutes during the Veni Vedi Veci section cuts was hilarious. :lol:

Blurbl on
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    watching it watching it LOVING IT LOVVIIING IIIIT

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • ftrftr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is great, really miss your IWBTG LP, hopefully you can get it back. I was practically wetting myself in part 3, eagerly awaiting 4!

ftr on
    PSN: ftr2k8
    PC PS3 PS2 DS PSP.
    edited July 2010
    You know what, we need some community involvement in this LP.

I'll come up with contests as the thread goes, and whoever wins each contest will get a point. Whoever has the most points wins. Simple, right? I haven't decided what the reward for winning will be. I'll figure it out when we get there.
    This first contest:

VVVVVV slashfic!

The first and only rule is that you can't break any normal PA Forum rules. So no pictures of pixel nudity, please.

Other than that, feel free to slash VVVVVV with whatever other fiction you feel like. Keep in mind the goal here is humor. You can go for that with an otherwise well-written, taking-it-way-too-seriously entry or writing it in the familiar typo-ridden style that most slashfic comes in. It must be semi-readable, though, and if you go for the latter style it should add to the humor, not distract from it.

Video entries such as flash movies are acceptable also. Be creative!

Oh, one other thing. I will be judging the competitions, unless I state otherwise. I'll gauge the general reaction to each entry and go from there.

Write your entry and then copy/paste it into the reply box after a !Entry, so it will catch my attention.

joshofalltrades on