As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So a bunch of people have been talking about cryostasis and the chrome games and for that price I think i'll take the plunge on em. Coupled with RFG because of, you know, space asshole and the witcher I think I'll be done with this sale.

Also I just noticed all the genesis games added to steam. my tab hadn't been on the new releases the entire sale so i never noticed em before

initiatefailure on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey guys, I'm looking to get a game on sale that I can play co-op or competitively with a maximum of two other friends. We have L4D2 and I just bought TF2, so any other recommendations?

Something like how that Greed game looks, but I can't find anything about it online. Anybody buy that?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Think I'm finally done, unless there's some small deal I missed.

Dark Void Zero (cheap as hell)
    Clive Barker's Jericho (ditto)
    Serious Sam 2 (daily deal, I already own the first one, not the second)
    Commandos Pack (daily deal, cheap)
    Winterbottom (daily deal, again cheap as hell. Already own it, but wanted to give them money for awesome game)
    Borderlands DLC (good deal, was waiting for it to go down in price)
    Just Cause 2 + DLC (the only thing I REALLY wanted out of this sale, so kickass)
    DMC 4 (replaces my 360 copy)
    Red Faction: G (ditto)
    Introversion pack (I usually hate strategy games, but wanted to give them a shot for that price)

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    So are they more sim-like or more arcade style?

More towards the arcade side of the spectrum, but it can, if you let it, be pretty unforgiving. You can pretty easily take a wrong turn and total your car, or spin out and be overtaken.

Which is why the rewind feature is one of the most awesome things in a racing game, ever.

There is damage and it affects your car, but sometimes you can see pretty battered up cars still racing. It's not a sim, that's for sure.

EDIT: And nothing beats puffy dice hanging from your rearview mirror.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've got Gothic 3 in my cart - What else would be a good last-day game?

So far I've bought:

- The Witcher (Hell yea!)
    - Tropico 3/Addon
    - Torchlight
    - Killing Floor
    - NecroVision (Great game!)
    - The Guild II
    - Star Wars The Force Unleashed (Actually pretty meh)

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Like you guys said, I am pretty bummed about the the witcher. I may wait on it, since it probably will go on sale again for $10 or less in the future.

HadjiQuest on
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blue map wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Could someone give me the lowdown on Trine?
    It's a 2d physics based puzzle platformer with fantastic presentation and level design. The only real problem with the game is that the difficulty curve is off, but asides from that it's a absolute steal for only 4$.

This except it's not 2D, its a 3D sidescroller.
    I meant that it plays on a 2d plane, not that it's a 2d game.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright, going for The Guild 2. I want the Pirates edition right? Just wanna be sure.

Big Classy on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well Steam is trying to tell me to get JC2 at this price so I might as well. How is the DLC?

Does Steam have any schmups? I already have Beat Hazard and Geometry Wars but I want something more Raiden style.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Alright, going for The Guild 2. I want the Pirates edition right? Just wanna be sure.

Jep. Everything you need in that one.

'Cept pigs, apparently.

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I've heard that the 1.72 community patch is strongly recommended for Gothic 3 to not suck. Is there an equivalent for Gothic 2, or is the Steam version serviceable?

rndmhero on
    edited July 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »

Jep. Everything you need in that one.

'Cept pigs, apparently.

Fantastic! Seeing as I'm muslim anyway :lol:

Now I need a game under £3. Should be interesting, quite a few to choose from strangely.

Big Classy on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks like my final haul for this sale is:

Just Cause 2
    Just Cause 2 DLC
    Borderlands DLC
    Defense Grid DLC
    Cryostasis
    Ghost Master
    Alien vs. Predator Classic 2000
    Beat Hazard
    Empire at War Gold
    Introversion pack
    Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That!
    Majesty 2 - Kingmaker

I think that's everything. Total cost is $69.45. This doesn't include a gift or two.

SteevL on
    edited July 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    So I've heard that the 1.72 community patch is strongly recommended for Gothic 3 to not suck. Is there an equivalent for Gothic 2, or is the Steam version serviceable?

The Steam version should be sufficient.

Ferrus on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I'm honestly fed up with Gothic 3. It's dirt-easy yet still pulls out cheap bullshit at times by default, and it's nothing but cheap bullshit all the time with the fanpatch installed and its "balance" options on.

If you get Gothic 3, install the 1.72 fanpatch and leave all the extra bullshit options OFF. They add nothing but annoyance and frustration to an already annoying and frustrating game.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited July 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

I'm honestly fed up with Gothic 3. It's dirt-easy yet still pulls out cheap bullshit at times by default, and it's nothing but cheap bullshit all the time with the fanpatch installed and its "balance" options on.

If you get Gothic 3, install the 1.72 fanpatch and leave all the extra bullshit options OFF. They add nothing but annoyance and frustration to an already annoying and frustrating game.

Wow, okay I guess I'll pass then.

Maybe Risen will go on sale later this year.

Ferrus on
    edited July 2010
    Is Risen even on steam, it never pops up for me in search?

Also, Painkiller: Black is the good one right guys? (Sorry for the constant questions!)

Edit: Strike that, just seen Men of War is £3.23 which would be perfect. It's the first one, not red tide. That shouldn't be an issue though.

Big Classy on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Made my final Purchase:

Riddick
    Trials 2
    Broken Sword Two-Pack (With 2 and 3)

HadjiQuest on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

Wow, okay I guess I'll pass then.

Maybe Risen will go on sale later this year.

The fanpatch's "rebalancing" is balls-out retarded. Their solution to keep you from hitstunning everything to death is to make stuff semi-randomly immune to damage for a second or so, allowing it to counter you. The intent is to make it so you pop out a couple hits and then back off for a moment before going back on the offensive.

The problem with this is that there's no indication that the attack you just sent straight through the midsection of your enemy is going to pass through and do no damage while they then proceed to make you take it through the pants. Some times you can land 6-7 hits in a row with no problem on one enemy, and then the very next one will take one solid hit and be immune to the second. This is especially annoying with Orcs who have not only had their attacks beefed up when weapons were tweaked to be generally stronger, but they also have much faster attack animations. The spinning two-hit special attack they do will knock off 50-75% of your health with the fanpatch, and they can pull it off with literally a fraction of a second of time to interrupt it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited July 2010
    Final purchase of the sale done!

Picked up Men of War and The Guild 2: Pirates of the European Sea.

Big Classy on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man. I have been thinking if I should nab Dark Athena for a few days. Luckily I just had a forehead slap moment and remembered that Butcher Bay was included.

Sold.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is anyone else having problems checking out? I've purchased several things over the week and it does this every time. I get to the purchase screen and it says i need to agree to the terms of the steam subscriber agrement, but there is no checkbox to acknowlege this, I've opened the agreement, and the only option there is to close the box. I've basically just been reloading the page and hitting purchase until it decided to work, but today it wont let me check out.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    edited July 2010
    daily Deals:
    Audiosurf
    Borderlands DLC (just knoxx)
    Freedom Force + 3rd Reich
    Just Cause 2 + DLC
    PB Winterbottom
    Red Faction guerrilla
    Thief

normal sales:
    Chrome + specforce
    Cryostasis

I think I only spent about $60... and half of that was for JC2. Yay thriftiness. Passed on a lot of things becuase I refused to dip into the credit i literally just paid off during the sale on principle and I had to pass on the witcher. I know it'll be on sale again and with my backlog i wouldn't even get to it till the christmas sale anyway

initiatefailure on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm. Using PayPal via Steam is bringing up an outdated page warning, often from use of bookmarks.

Guess I will pay by card for now.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man. I have been thinking if I should nab Dark Athena for a few days. Luckily I just had a forehead slap moment and remembered that Butcher Bay was included.

Sold.

Yeah, Riddick is basically remastered Butcher Bay + some stupid expansion pack that you don't really care about. Totally worth it.

Dehumanized on
    edited July 2010
    I wish Steam had Crusader Kings.

I'm terrible at EUIII.

Ferrus on
    edited July 2010
    Honestly, the weird activation is putting me off of Riddick. So you have unlimited activations of a copy but you gotta wait 30 days after every 3rd installation?

Big Classy on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I mistakenly thought that Metro 2033 was in the Square Enix/Eidos bundle. Without it being there, $75 is just a bit too steep for the games I actually want from that bundle.

I... I might escape this sale with no purchases.

Oh god I'm so close!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright I know I'm behind the times, but I'm considering GTA IV, but looking it up it sounds like contemporary reviews say it's buggy and all-around a shitty port. Has this stuff been fixed or should I stay away?

Cervetus on
    edited July 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Alright I know I'm behind the times, but I'm considering GTA IV, but looking it up it sounds like contemporary reviews say it's buggy and all-around a shitty port. Has this stuff been fixed or should I stay away?

general consensus is stay away.

Big Classy on
    edited July 2010
    Did the Steam Store just die or am I the only one getting a blank page?

Ferrus on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's not that bad. Patches have fixed a lot of the issues.

Dehumanized on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, Painkiller: Black is the good one right guys? (Sorry for the constant questions!)

Yes.

Lawndart on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I am also just getting a blank page.

Ketar on
    edited July 2010
    I thought general consensus was that if you played at console resolution then it was alright but the instant you try to turn it up the system requirements just start ballooning out of control... so it's alright if you only want to play at default is the way i understand that, but it's a PC game so why the hell would we ever want to leave the resolution down?

initiatefailure on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ketar wrote: »

Ditto. And just as I was planning on bloating out my final day sales binge, too.

How is the Defense Grid DLC? I've heard it's notably more difficult than the base game, which for me is not an incentive.

Lawndart on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »

Ditto. And just as I was planning on bloating out my final day sales binge, too.

How is the Defense Grid DLC? I've heard it's notably more difficult than the base game, which for me is not an incentive.

I think I've already golded all of the Resurgence DLC. Maybe not the last map, which is actually pretty tough. I thought they were good additions to the game actually - some of them are a little more difficult than the base game, but not outrageously so.

edit: It was nice to have at least one map where just building upgraded gun towers wouldn't be enough to survive.

Ketar on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

And in a giant concrete bunker, located far beneath the bedrock, Gabe Newell hits The Big Red Button.

Drake on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I only spent about 15 bucks this sale, got myself the following though.

Shatter
    Beat Hazard
    Defense Grid Resurgence DLC pack 2, 3, and 4
    Borderlands Mad Moxxi and Secret Armory DLC

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The rest of the site works, only the front page is blank.

Tertiee on
This discussion has been closed.