As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bitching Thread IV: I Must Break You (of bad comics)

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Graphic Violence
Does paying this much for a regular size comic:

4dollars.gif

piss you off?

Or does seeing a chump produce work like this and continue to get paid for it really piss you off?

tacing.jpg

uncannyxmen500covcf1.gif

Or does seeing this character Mary Sue-ing everything he comes into contact with make you go comatose?

Hulk_Watcher-1.jpg

This is where we get it off our chest (that's what she said). The Bitching Thread, where everybody knows your name *dun dun dun dun dun dun, dah dun*

The original rules for this thread:
Geebs wrote:

Hey, do you hate when comics are bad? Disappointed by something? Want to talk about it? Do it here. Keep it out of the other threads. This is where you can vent, and warn others about what you don't like.

This is where you can be angry and make bad jokes and whatever. If I see bad jokes and anger and stupid nonsense in other threads, I'll probably infract you. If you want to discuss problems you have with the subject of a thread in that thread, you can, but I'm going to expect you to be civil about it.

This is especially true for the moment of the week thread. Those threads are for highlights. If you want to bitch about something in there, well, I'm not going to have much tolerance for it.

Oh and side note, the phrase "moment of the weak" is stupid and you should feel stupid for using it.

ivandrago-1.jpg

If he dies, he dies.

TexiKen on

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm sad my pecs are not Dolph Lundgrens pecs.

Also Spider-Man.
    Solar wrote: »
    Nova is not out of character!

He wasn't even there long enough to be out of character

If he was in the background of a single panel wearing a pink tutu, would that not be enough to be out of character?

No it wouldn't

That pink tutu could be a tactical decision

Nova would wear a pink tutu if doing so enabled his defeat of anihilation bugs. He hates them you know.

However Nova seemed rather inexperienced in the first issue and then in the second one cap berated himself for sending "that boy" in alone. Yeah Cap, I'm sure if you'd been there to help the class 100 invulnerable flying energy blaster (who was a commander in one of the bloodiest wars in universal history) with your shield there'd be no problems.

Woah, woah, woah, Cap called Nova a boy? The Nova who saved the universe not struggled with defeating one Nazi with a disfigured face for a century? Fuck you Cap

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Sentry died in a bullshit way and I'm still angry about that.

Solar on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He died because he fought Ivan Drago.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If he fought Ivan Drago then it wouldn't have been a bullshit death. Nobody could blame him for falling to that paragon of power.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thats probably why Loeb had Rulk run into and beat every single person in existence except Drago or to a lesser extent Rocky

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Sentry died in a bullshit way and I'm still angry about that.

This this this.

Aaaaand that's me done for another Bitching Thread.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It is my ultimate bitch.

Other bitches merely distract me momentarily before I return in full force to the alter of nerdrage.

Solar on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

If he was in the background of a single panel wearing a pink tutu, would that not be enough to be out of character?

No it wouldn't

Nova would wear a pink tutu if doing so enabled his defeat of anihilation bugs. He hates them you know.

However Nova seemed rather inexperienced in the first issue and then in the second one cap berated himself for sending "that boy" in alone. Yeah Cap, I'm sure if you'd been there to help the class 100 invulnerable flying energy blaster (who was a commander in one of the bloodiest wars in universal history) with your shield there'd be no problems.

You seriously need to get over your Nova boner.

That is the most ridiculously petty complaint I have ever heard. I am sorry that one line of dialogue was not about how radical and awesome and handsome and strong Nova is. Cap berating himself because he sent a single man into a hostile situation and lost contact with him is perfectly valid and takes nothing away from Nova whatsoever. And Cap is allowed to call Nova "that boy" because Cap is older than Nova. And, despite how awesome you want to make him, and despite the wars Nova has been through recently, Cap is about a billion times more experienced.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I could come up with like a billion more reasons why that complaint makes me angry with rage

I mean come on now

Come on now

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Due to the sliding timeline, I don't know if Steve is really much older than Nova. If Steve is 30, let's say, and Nova is 24-25 (I can't see him being any younger), that's not a big enough age difference.

Reading old Captain America issues from the 80's, it seems as though Marvel has basically ignored 90% of these stories where Steve seemed to basically be 35-36.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I make nova more 22-23

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And Cap is totally in his mid 30's

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

No it wouldn't

You seriously need to get over your Nova boner.

That is the most ridiculously petty complaint I have ever heard. I am sorry that one line of dialogue was not about how radical and awesome and handsome and strong Nova is. Cap berating himself because he sent a single man into a hostile situation and lost contact with him is perfectly valid and takes nothing away from Nova whatsoever. And Cap is allowed to call Nova "that boy" because Cap is older than Nova. And, despite how awesome you want to make him, and despite the wars Nova has been through recently, Cap is about a billion times more experienced.

Caps fought in one war, maybe two but Im pretty sure he only came around in the 2nd one where he fought troops armed with tech far more primitive than whats available in his present and now hes =fought a few supervillains without standing a chance against the more godly except where plot has his back.

Nova fought a war in space. Against super advanced tech. And the techno organic virus, and he brought back the Nova corps.

Fuck Cap.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Caps fought in one war, maybe two but Im pretty sure he only came around in the 2nd one where he fought troops armed with tech far more primitive than whats available in his present and now hes =fought a few supervillains without standing a chance against the more godly except where plot has his back.

Nova fought a war in space. Against super advanced tech. And the techno organic virus, and he brought back the Nova corps.

Fuck Cap

So Captain America

in the 40 years of comics he's had in the modern times

as a member of the Avengers

has only fought a few super villains

gotcha

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    in fact this whole argument has made me swear off cosmic marvel forever

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Fuck Cap

So Captain America

in the 40 years of comics he's had in the modern times

as a member of the Avengers

has only fought a few super villains

gotcha

Well he has fought them repeatedly. But its like sexual partners, even if you've had sex 1 billion times, if its with teh same person it doesn't count.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Eh, it's your loss.

This is a silly argument though.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I always thought Cap was in his 40's, but looked 10 years younger.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    BigDes wrote: »
    Eh, it's your loss.

the whole thing just angers me

you are not better just because you did things in space

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    WHens the last time the Earthonauts got as much tail as the Astronauts?

Exactly

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Goddamn astronauts

WE DON'T NEED NO MOON CHEESE BABIES

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    BigDes wrote: »
    Eh, it's your loss.

the whole thing just angers me

you are not better just because you did things in space

Yeah but most of it is DarkWarrior.

Who gets a little carried away sometimes.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ill say this for Cap, Secret Avengers while not necessary, has been infinitely more interesting than the actual Avengers.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I like Secret Avengers for acknowledging how high tech the Marvel universe is.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ill say this for Cap, Secret Avengers while not necessary, has been infinitely more interesting than the actual Avengers.

Bendis topped himself on useless comics with New Avengers #1

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I was surprised after last issue that humanity stays on Earth with all the superbeings when they have the tech to colonise Mars.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Algertman I cannot believe I am agreeing with you on something

I feel dirty

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I always thought Cap was in his 40's, but looked 10 years younger.

I always thought that too, but that's if Cap was thawed out in the 60s, when, if you go by Joe Casey's Avengers Mini from a few years ago, Cap was basically thawed out now in 1990-1995.

And if Steve was 17-18 when he joined up and became Cap, and he fought for 4-5 years before being frozen, and then had 10 years in the modern world with a sliding timeline, he can't be more than 35. And I guess Tony or Pym would be the oldest original Avengers, and Reed should be in his early 40's.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You also have to realize that Nova was like 17 when he was first selected to join the corps

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well yes, the Avengers during Dark Reign could have been cancelled and I dont think Id have noticed the difference.

And I dont think Ive ever seen TLB actually perturbed before.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

it takes something special thing to actually irk me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    TLB I know you want to swear off Marvel Cosmic but that means you get no Cosmo or Rocket Raccoon or Groot and this is a sad thing.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The hardest part will be no more Blastaar

I love Blastaar so much

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah it's like you better swear off X-Men and Greg Land and Superman books before you swear off Cosmic Marvel because of an internet kerfuffle.

Priorities.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No Drax stabbing people in the face because why the fuck not.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

it takes something special thing to actually irk me

You're cute when you're angry. :lol:

Seriously dude, it's not a big deal for me. It's the bitching thread, it's there for that kind of petty bemoaning about a single line. I do think Nova was a little out of character but it was still a great book and I'll be buying it regularly. Better than the mainstream Avengers, though issues #2 wasn't bad with Protector I guess. Don't swear off cosmic marvel doggie, it's really worth the read.

Besides, without the Sentry around I need another awesome character to bone over, and I pick good ol' Nova Prime.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Man I ain't read an X-book since Cable and Deadpool was canceled.

Though I will start again when they start fightin' vampires

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Man I ain't read an X-book since Cable and Deadpool was canceled.

Though I will start again when they start fightin' vampires

I will pick it up if it has Marvel Dracula in it, because he is pretty cool. I agree with you on that one at least.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    80% of my decision to read it is because X-Man, the other 20 is a chance of Marvel Dracula

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    also at the rate of my reading cosmic marvel, by the time I pick up my next set of trades I will have forgotten this whole argument.

hell I have only recently just read Annihilation

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg