As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I love Prototype.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spent £14.46 today and got
    Time, Gentlemen please! double pack
    Trials 2: Second Edition
    The Guild 2: Pirates of the European Seas
    Men of War

I need to do a full list of what I got and for how much. Maybe later when my heart rate lowers.

Big Classy on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »
    Ferrus wrote: »
    Did the Steam Store just die or am I the only one getting a blank page?

I am also just getting a blank page.

The rest of the site works, only the front page is blank.

I remedied this by going to my library and clicking on any game. Then select 'go to store pae' and you can then use the search bar there to find what you want.

Big Classy on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't get why NecroVision has such a low metascore. The game really ain't that bad. It's like Painkiller with melee combos!

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought general consensus was that if you played at console resolution then it was alright but the instant you try to turn it up the system requirements just start ballooning out of control... so it's alright if you only want to play at default is the way i understand that, but it's a PC game so why the hell would we ever want to leave the resolution down?

I get playable framerates (hovering around 30) at 2048x1152, using above-medium settings, on 3 year old, middle-of-the-line hardware (Core 2 Duo E6750, 8800GT 512MB VRAM, 4GB RAM). It's kind of a toss-up as to whether the processor or the amount of VRAM on my graphics card is the more significant bottleneck.

EDIT: Just ran the benchmark tools, for accurate numbers/settings:

Statistics
    Average FPS: 31.65
    Duration: 37.47 sec
    CPU Usage: 96%
    System memory usage: 73%
    Video memory usage: 99%

Graphics Settings
    Video Mode: 2048 x 1152 (60 Hz)
    Texture Quality: Medium
    Shadow Quality: High
    Reflection Resolution: High
    Water Quality: Very High
    Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x4
    Night Shadows: Off
    View Distance: 19
    Detail Distance: 10

Hardware
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Video Driver version: 197.45
    Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz

File ID: Benchmark.cli

The port isn't really all that bad, after all of the patches. Note that if I lower my Anisotropic filter down to x2, the average framerate jumps to around 37.

Dehumanized on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Iolo wrote: »
    So I mistakenly thought that Metro 2033 was in the Square Enix/Eidos bundle. Without it being there, $75 is just a bit too steep for the games I actually want from that bundle.

I... I might escape this sale with no purchases.

Oh god I'm so close!

Metro is in the THQ bundle, though. With a slew of good games that you may or may not own.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay, how come no one told me Just Cause has...

(Agency mission 4 spoilers)
    A nuclear sub! And NINJAS!

Whoever described this game as a completely over the top 80's movie wasn't kidding. I'm feeling all A-team up in this shit.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, shit. I bought Bioshock 2 on ebay for $13.00 on June 7. I bought it from someone in India and it still hasn't arrived because, apparently, India is on another planet. I could have just bought it today and been playing it right now.

$2.99 for Thief: Dark Shadows sounds just fine, though.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought general consensus was that if you played at console resolution then it was alright but the instant you try to turn it up the system requirements just start ballooning out of control... so it's alright if you only want to play at default is the way i understand that, but it's a PC game so why the hell would we ever want to leave the resolution down?

If you have a rockin' video card you can run GTAIV at high resolution with everything maxed and stay above 60 FPS. It isn't so bad now.

The only problem is it still has some hideous LOD issues. Like, I don't expect to see pedestrians on the street when I'm in a helicopter, but if I have a video card with 2GB of VRAM I shouldn't have to put up with buildings that are just textured rectangular boxes unless I'm flying so high I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Fortunately you don't go up in a helicopter too often.

a puddle on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Alright I know I'm behind the times, but I'm considering GTA IV, but looking it up it sounds like contemporary reviews say it's buggy and all-around a shitty port. Has this stuff been fixed or should I stay away?

As yourself what you are really, REALLY looking for in a sandbox game.

For me, I play sandbox games to drive around, hijack cars, and stir up shit with the gov't and then escape.

... It's obvious why I'm enjoying the hell out of Just Cause 2. The only downside is the lack of in-game music most of the time, but that is easily fixed as JC2 is extremely alt-tab friendly.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So is Killing Floor still something that's being actively played by PA folks? I might grab that one if so.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I stuck to mainly indie games and and stuff that so cheap I felt it was worth rolling the dice.

Zeno Clash
    Flotilla
    Chrome + Chrome SpecForce
    Ghost Master
    Alpha Prime
    The Guild II: Pirate Pimps
    Mad Moxxi + General Knoxx DLC for Borderlands.

Total monies spent, 20.96 Imperial American.

I'm pretty happy with how I came out in this sale, it's a lot of games and I'm pretty happy with what I've managed to see from them. The Guild II hasn't clicked for me yet, but honestly I haven't made it through the tutorials yet. Those things are a slog but I can tell if I skip them I'm in for a lot of fumbling around.

The Chrome Pack is the surprise hit. I honestly wasn't expecting solid tactical shooting in a sci fi game. And while the atmosphere got knocked as boring and repetitive, I find it refreshing to play in a sci fi shooter that isn't all over-the-top Space Opera. It captures the feel of some of the grittier post cyberpunk military sci fi that's been around for a little while now.

Alpha Prime is alright, kinda meh. It's fun but it's not compelling me to play it. Think FEAR in Doom 3 environments minus the loldark.

Ghost Master is a blast from what little I've seen of it. (The tutorial)

Flotilla scratches a very specific itch for me. I love the WEGO simultaneous turn system, and Flotilla implements it nicely. I love the three dimensional battles in space, where your actual orientation in this space is important. This has been a pretty rare thing in a lot of 3D space strategy sims and Flotilla does this elegantly.

Zeno Clash is quirky beat 'em up fun in a freaky deaky world. I dig it, and most of you guys already know all about that one anyway. Same for Borderlands and its DLC.

All in all I had a lot of fun digging through the Steam Bargain Bin, grabbing stuff that looked neat for nickels and dimes.

Drake on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    INFO

That actually helps a lot, because your computer is actually beefier than mine. And I'm clearly not a die-hard of the series, so I'll probably use the $5 on a pint or something.

Cervetus on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't get why NecroVision has such a low metascore. The game really ain't that bad. It's like Painkiller with melee combos!

nnngggg

Urge to last-minute-grab Necrovision is rising.

Drake on
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I find it interesting they put Arma II on the daily sale twice. I'd think they would put all the war games on sale. HOI III, World in Conflict, DOD, Modern Warfare I/2....

I bought Bioshock 2 off the sale. I have to say that I deleted it. If I play on normal difficulty I get my arse kicked but easy is a cakewalk and I'm blowing through the game so fast I'm not enjoying anything. On easy all you need to do to the big bad enemy is walk up to them and hold the drill to them. But on normal I get beat up enough that I can't get out of a room because I keep getting killed. So until I have the time to sit down and strategically plan and pick my way through the areas...

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not so bad this time around

Just Cause 2: $25
    Killing Floor: $5
    Thief: $3

total: $33

Foolish Chaos on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In lieu of a celebration of stuff I've failed to buy because I'm stingy and also trying to get my American Express gift card to buy stuff, here is a...

List of Games You Really Ought to Buy if You Like...

Strategy Games!
    Men of War is less than $4. It is an insanely detailed game with fully destroyable environments, an individual inventory for every man and vehicle, an intricate damage model for vehicles, an epic single player campaign that can be played in coop, and wonderful multiplayer with a number of game modes. My YouTube channel has gameplay videos. A standalone expansion/sequel is coming sometime next year, probably, so if you're incredibly patient you can hold out for that.

The Introversion Pack is $5 and you get four games that push the envelope in terms of gameplay innovation, art design, and throwbacks to the 80s. Uplink is easily the best hacking simulation that exists for the PC, unless you're an actual hacker, in which case hacking people is a better simulation. DEFCON is a game that looks like the computer display in NORAD from WarGames and it somehow makes you feel far, far worse about fighting war than any game ever has before, despite not having any actual people who you can see. Darwinia and Multiwinia combine a retro styling with fun, frantic RTS-lite gameplay mechanics. Lemmings plus Command and Conquer, really.

Civilization IV and its expansion packs will consume your very soul and you will emerge months later into the sunlight, blinking, wondering why everyone is not acknowledging your clear superiority which is evident because you have conquered the world a thousand times in a thousand different ways. Civ V is coming soon though so if you're patient, wait it out.

Freedom Force and its sequel are a must if you're a fan of squad based strategy and comic books. They hearken back to the Silver Age comic books, and in addition to telling an amazing story with humor and pathos (these are the Bioshock guys, remember), they let you design your own superheroes and throw cars at people. Even Nazis.

Tropico 3 lets you be the dictator of your own little Banana Republic. Kowtow to the Soviets and they'll help you build cheap tenements to keep your people just happy enough not to revolt against you for paying them almost nothing to work in the mines and on the farms while you funnel profits to your Swiss bank account, or cozy up with the USA and the CIA so that they'll keep you safe from your own impoverished citizens while you spend huge amounts of money making the island pretty for tourists and even huger amounts of money enriching your Swiss bank account!

Shooters!
    The Chronicles of Riddong/Ridwang/Riddick is two games in one, and they're both great. Punching, shooting, and stabbing all make an appearance in this faithful recreation of what Vin Diesel would actually be like in prison in the future if he were anything like his D&D characters. Starbreeze Studios put a lot of love into these games and it has earned them a place in the limited and coveted "games that represent the best aspect of the universe they are set in" club. Other winners include Crimson Skies and Shadowrun (JUST KIDDING ABOUT SHADOWRUN).

Mass Effect 2 is actually an RPG.

Chrome and its expansion cost $2 total and are apparently a lot like Crysis. Big levels, choice in how to approach gunfights, and gunfights. So, take a chance! Roll the dice! Shoot some mans!

Five bucks for the good Painkiller game is a bargain. Why? You get a gun that shoots lightning. But that's its secondary fire. Primary fire shoots shurikens. And that's the boring gun, because the exciting one fires stakes. And grenades.

Securing American Dominance!
    It's the Fourth of July, silly geese! The Fourth of July! America's birthday! Are you ready to prove to the rest of the world that America is the best fucking country ever?! YOU BUY THESE GAMES NOW!

Just Cause 2 is a game where you play a CIA agent sent into destabilize a country by destroying most of its infrastructure solely because the new leader does not support the United States. You have a blank check to buy weaponry from the black market and nobody cares if you kill civilians. This is literally what the game is about.

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead is set in "Takistan" where you shoot "terrorists" who hate our "freedom." Of course we all know that this is just code for running around Afghanistan shooting freedom fighters who just want to live in peace for 15 consecutive years without being invaded by a superpower. Nice try, guys! This game lets you pilot UAVs and drop Hellfire missiles on people who wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of fighting back even if they had more than $5 to spend on military equipment, and it has missions where you and your team use advanced night vision and infrared signaling technology against what are essentially goat herders with things what go pop when they point them at you. user122324_pic1820_1221454527.gif

I already mentioned Tropico 3 but if you want to you can completely screw over the people of your island in order to make it a staging area for the American military so that they can combat Soviet influence in South America, or a tourist paradise for rich Americans who you will have to keep away from your starving citizens so they don't get unhappy on their vacation.

In Grand Theft Auto IV you play as an immigrant, but that's okay, America is the great melting pot. And most importantly, you play as an AMERICAN who knows what AMERICA is about: earning as much money as fast as possible even if you have to commit heinous crimes. And it's set in New York City, the most American of all cities if you ignore all those goddamn liberals who live there. Stay away from the standalone expansion pack: you can play as a biker gang, which is incredibly American, but there's also a gay guy, which is unAmerican, apparently (I don't make the rules user122324_pic1820_1221454527.gif).

Roleplaying Games!
    I know that The Witcher was cheaper earlier in the sale. Suck it up, crybaby. The difference in price is less than what you spent buying your underpants, and you don't even need underpants. That's a FACT. Because you wear PANTS. And The Witcher is one of the seminal RPGs of our time, with racist elves, sexist dwarfs, lots of titties, and a legitimately good storyline that integrates choice not just into the next conversation but into the very tapestry of your experience. Tough choices, perky nipples. A combination for the ages.

Mass Effect 2 is actually a shooter.

Potpourri!
    Red Faction: Guerilla is $5 and you can smash buildings with a hammer.

Thief 3 costs as many dollars as the number in its name says it ought to, and if you liked Thief 1 and 2 (which you DID because they OWNED FACE) then it's worth it.

If World of Goo looks interesting and you don't own it, you're weird as hell because it's been available for 1 cent more times than I can count, but hey. World of Goo!

If you don't own much or anything in the THQ complete pack it's actually a really awesome deal.

The Guild: Everyone's buying this shit lately. It's all about, like, diplomatic intrigue and economic intrigue and stabbing people intrigue and it's European so that's always fun.

Culpa Innata is a cyberpunk point and click adventure game and I am literally the only one who has ever mentioned it in the history of the universe in any context whatsoever.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I think I finished pretty well here. I have a fairly low-spec computer, and I hate the entire FPS genre, which means I save a lot of money not-buying things. Purchases?

Civilization IV
    Devil May Cry 4
    Flotilla
    Freedom Force Pack
    Full Pipe
    Puzzle Kingdoms
    Shatter
    X-Com

Roughly $35 American, the price of a single new game at retail.
    I would have gotten Zeno Clash, but I can't run it.
    I might've gotten Borderlands if I could run it, also, but probably not.

Lucedes on
  • MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was really hoping that Fallout 3:GOTY Edition would pop up this week. Ah well. :cry:

Mackenzier on
    Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, I ended up getting Civ IV complete and the Introversion pack on the last day. I can't believe I waited this long to get Uplink, it looks like exactly the sort of game I've been daydreaming about for years.

So:
    Introversion Pack $5.00
    Civilization IV Complete $9.99
    Resident Evil 5 $10.50
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 $33.50
    Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena $6.79

$65.79! I told myself I wasn't going to spend more than sixty, but I'm not feeling too bad about it. Especially since I've canceled my plans to get a Wii now, turns out there's more gaming than I have time for with just my PC and PS3 libraries anyways.

Darlan on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That was an epic post, Tycho. America thanks you for your service.

Dehumanized on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you don't have L4D2 yet and you like fun multiplayers with PA people you should get it in a 4pack right now.

Alegis on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, is it recap time? Yes, yes it is. Behold the sordid results of my poor impulse control!

Alien Vs. Predator 2000
    Borderlands DLC (Mad Moxxi and General Knoxx)
    Clive Barker's Jericho
    Cryostasis
    Dark Messiah Of Might And Magic
    Deus Ex Collection
    Devil May Cry 4
    Europa Universalis III Complete
    Europa Universalis: Heir To The Throne (Bonus "Just Kidding About That 'Complete' Thing" Edition)
    A Farewell To Dragons
    Flat Out: Ultimate Carnage
    Just Cause 2 and some assorted DLC
    Lead And Gold
    Max Payne Bundle
    Metro 2033
    Overlord Collection
    Resident Evil 5
    Shatter
    Unreal Collection
    The Void

$158.99 total, or just over $5.48 per thing.

Woo?

Lawndart on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What is the Guild II? I look at it and it looks interesting but I can't figure out what it is.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What is the Guild II? I look at it and it looks interesting but I can't figure out what it is.

It's Sims + Economy + Clunkiness. In medieval Europe.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is Sword of the Stars any good? The collection is half off and I remember hearing good things.

Jakorian on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, what did I get...

DiRT 2
    Commandos Collection (Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty, Commandos 2: Men of Courage, Commandos 3: Destination Berlin)
    Introversion pack (Darwinia, Uplink, DEFCON, Multiwinia)
    Freedom Force pack (Freedom Force, vs. The Third Reich)
    The Guild 2: Pirates of the European Seas
    Half Life 2 + Ep 1 and 2.
    Jagged Alliance 2 Gold Pack (JA2, JA2: Unfinished Business)
    NBA 2K10
    Oddworld pack (Abe's Exxodus, Abe's Oddysee)
    Red Faction: Gorilla
    Trials 2
    Sam and Max: The Penal Zone complete pack
    Shatter
    Bionic Commando pack (Bionic Commando, Bionic Commando Rearmed)
    Deus Ex Collection (Deus Ex, Invisible War)
    P. B. Winterbottom
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Trine
    World of Goo

Holy shit that's a lot of games. For the sake of my sanity, I'm not adding the cost up, I'm just thankful that a paycheck arrived mid-sale.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
    edited July 2010
    Oh and Altitude is pretty fun multiplayer too
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/41300/

demo available

So far I only bought Shatter and Borderlands DLC (Zombie Ned and Knoxx). Deciding on what else to pick.

Alegis on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Oh and Altitude is pretty fun multiplayer too
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/41300/

demo available

So far I only bought Shatter and Borderlands DLC (Zombie Ned and Knoxx). Deciding on what else to pick.

I picked up Altitude when the sale started and love it. Apparently mouse control was only added a few weeks ago. I can't imagine what it was like when you had to use the keyboard only, but if anyone was put off by the controls in the past I'd give it another try with the throttle controlled on the KB and firing and direction controlled by mouse

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It's Sims + Economy + Clunkiness. In medieval Europe.

Hmmm......thanks.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited July 2010
    Was alright with keyboard controls, although I use an x360 controller.

Altitude is the ultimate short break game.

Alegis on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I feel pretty good about my self-control. Shattter, the Freedom Force pack, and Thief: Deadly Shadows. For less than the cost of a decent meal.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ugh....nothing on my wishlist save for Cryostasis, Monkey Island 5, and Witcher was worth buying. I didn't get Witcher because I was waiting for today, and then they pretend it wasn't meant to be at an awesome sale price for the whole thing. So, not purchasing a second copy of Witcher so I can ditch my disks.

So I got Cryo and Monkey Island 5, but I feel I should get more, especially since my birthday is in 2 weeks. I was hoping for KoTOR and Republic Commando at least....

Right now all I plan to get is Monkey Island 2. Suggestions?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ubergeek/wishlist is what I'm watching for and hasn't dropped enough yet.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I had no idea they gave Altitude mouse controls. I bought it direct from the developers, so time to re-install, I suppose!

Centipeed on
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jakorian wrote: »
    Is Sword of the Stars any good? The collection is half off and I remember hearing good things.

Anyone else can weigh in here? I'm curious too on Sword of the stars....?

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright so the final List of purchased games:

Overlord
    Overlord II
    Overlord Raising Hell
    Zeno Clash
    Misadventures of PB Winterbottom
    Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
    Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
    Aliens vs. Predator 2000
    Bioshock
    Bioshock 2
    Half-Life Episode 1
    Half-Life Episode 2
    Shatter
    Gothic II Gold Edition
    Gothic 3
    The Guild II
    The Guild II Pirates of the European Seas
    Supreme Commander 2
    Freedom Force
    Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich
    World of Goo
    Borderlands - Secret Armory
    Borderlands - Zombie Island
    Borderlands - Underdome Riot

24 games (counting the expansions) - $78

Way more than I intended to spend. And the main reason why I am not going to get the Star Wars or Telltale packs right now.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I was going to spring for the Square Eidos Pack, but I got so much other stuff this sale that I just can't justify spending that kind of money and getting even more games that I'll probably never play to completion.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Alright I know I'm behind the times, but I'm considering GTA IV, but looking it up it sounds like contemporary reviews say it's buggy and all-around a shitty port. Has this stuff been fixed or should I stay away?

My experiences with it were that the bugs were mostly visual stuff (annoying at times, but not game breaking) and I experienced a bit of slow down at some parts of the town, but overall it's a very playable game on the PC. If you like GTA-style free roamers, the PC version is fine.

Also, if anyone is on the edge about Borderlands, it's damn good fun. The Diablo-style loot bonanza is ever-so-addicting, the art style is very pleasing to the eye and it plays pretty well. If you're playing it solo, the difficulty can be quite brutal at times, but as someone who's sick and tired of the complete and utter lack of challenge in most modern games, I was pleasantly surprised by this. I do find the "humor" in the game to be quite sub-par and terrible, though. When you have to tell the players that this character is supposed to be funny, more often than not the exact opposite is true.

reVerse on
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Curious about this as well. Been considering SotS for a while, though the list of games I need to play looks pretty grim at this point.

a puddle on
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It is awesome and I would recommend buying at that price.

The idea is that it's a 4x with all of the micromanagement trimmed off and real time space battles thrown in for the combat. In theory, this lets you do multiplayer in a 4x. There are some problems with it (difficulty curve, lack of documentation, and a UI that is so elegant that it's really hard to figure out with a strange graphical style), but I love the game.

It's a little bit hard to find, but there is a demo of it floating around.

Lykouragh on
This discussion has been closed.