As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Michael Steele And The GOP - Have They Lost Their Grip On Sanity?

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
All signs point to yes:
To hear Michael Steele tell it, the Republican Party is at a crossroads in its stance on Afghanistan. After having campaigned on more troops, more funding for those troops, and more aggressive deployment of them in every election cycle since 9/11, Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele suggested to Republicans at a small gathering that President Obama started the war in Afghanistan and that Republican candidates should campaign against his decision to send more troops there. Literally.

Here's what he said:
Keep in mind, again, our federal candidates, this was a war of Obama's choosing. This is not, this is not something the United States had actively prosecuted or wanted to engage in. It was one of those, one of those areas of the total [horde?] of foreign policy...that we would be a background sort of shaping the changes that were necessary in afghanistan as opposed to directly engaging troops. But it was the president who tried to be cute by...flipping the script deomonizing iraq while saying the battle really should be in Afghanistan. Well if he's such a student of history, has he not understood that, you know, that's the one thing you don't do is engage in a land war in Afghanistan? All right? Because everyone who has tried over a thousand years of history has failed. And there are reasons for that. There are other ways that we can engage in Afghanistan without committing more troops...

Talk about rewriting history. Do they actually think the American public is that fucking stupid? In all honesty, they probably do. But I would think that this is the definite proof that they've lost any grip on sanity that they may have had, if they honestly think they can toss the actions of the Bush Administration into the recycle bin of history.

(facepalming. HARD.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
AngelHedgie on

• YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes.

YodaTuna on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A non trivial portion (probably more people than there are self identified liberals) of the public is that stupid, yes. They think Reagan was always in conservative mode despite generally not liking war, being terrified of nuclear weapons, and raising taxes every year but one he was in office - and forget that the conservative stuff he did fucked up the nation and was wildly unpopular at the time.

Revisionist history is kind of what they do

override367 on
  • gameworkergameworker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If only the stupid, knuckle dragging mouthbreathers we call the "public" would listen to and obey the Democratic Party the world's problems would all be solved so very easily. Why do the unwashed masses even get to vote?

gameworker on
    edited July 2010
    gameworker wrote: »
    If only the stupid, knuckle dragging mouthbreathers we call the "public" would listen to and obey the Democratic Party the world's problems would all be solved so very easily. Why do the unwashed masses even get to vote?

Or you know, we could just have the Republicans exercise some intellectual honesty and not uniformly vote Nay on everything, even when it's been compromised to hell and back in their favor (jobs bill)

override367 on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I wish this weren't true.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    gameworker wrote: »

Or you know, we could just have the Republicans exercise some intellectual honesty and not uniformly vote Nay on everything, even when it's been compromised to hell and back in their favor (jobs bill)

We'd be a lot better off if the Blue Dogs stopped slavishly following their lead. I bet the people who campaigned for Kratovil, Minnick, and Bright are regretting it now.

Captain Carrot on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Feral wrote: »

It's not.

Or rather, it won't have been.

Taramoor on
    edited July 2010
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

It's not.

Or rather, it won't have been.

I see what you did there

Given their love of gutting the reality of what happened in the past, their stance on education makes far more sense

override367 on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So have we always been at war with Eastasia or Eurasia?

Couscous on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm just glad some of the Republicans themselves have given Steele a big WTF.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited July 2010
    It demonstrates to me that the party hasn't been completely taken over by tardvarks.

Feral on

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That is amazing. I love Michael Steele. He is my favorite political clown.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One thing I respect about Republicans is that they haven't tried to use Afghanistan to gain political leverage like they have with other issues. They have a position and they've stuck with it even though the leader of the opposing party is spearheading their agenda, most have gone as far as to say "I support him in this". Of all issues, it would be deeply cynical and I think unpatriotic to try to base your agenda in Afghanistan in terms of politics. If you can't be trusted to give your earnest opinion on an issue on which we have American military service members dying for, then you're a fucking asshole.

Michael Steele is that fucking asshole, of course.

Hoz on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2010
    I can't even imagine what the fuck he's thinking. It's so stupid I'm just not bothering extending it to the rest of his party, that's how stupid it is.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sometimes I think the RNC lets members run their mouths off just to see what plays well with their audience - if it turns out to suck they drop it, otherwise they put it through the publicity machine.

Other times I think they're just disorganized and, uh, not too careful.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Now that's some impressive rewriting of history there.

This guy gets an "A" on his Orwellian report card!

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well if he's such a student of history, has he not understood that, you know, that's the one thing you don't do is engage in a land war in Afghanistan? All right? Because everyone who has tried over a thousand years of history has failed. And there are reasons for that.

While technically correct that it's a terrible idea to get bogged down in a conflict in said country, you lose 10,000 republican points by suggesting there's anything the US military can't succeed at.

But yeah, in the case of Steele it's more Steele is stupid than the Republicans. I'm pretty sure the entire RNC has a serious case of buyer's remorse over him and it started way before this mess.

kildy on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Surely it wouldn't be too hard a position to take that you don't agree with how the war is being run but you support the troops?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aside from my rational sense of reality, I really want to believe that Steele was part of the whole "tea party" strategy to re-brand the party. This is, of course, a rather silly concept but I'm struck by the conspiracy theorist' idea that Steele was knowingly or unknowingly involved in being the "old GOP" while the party reorganized the conservative base and placed walls between differing sets of ideology as a means to provoke the public conception of a changing party.

But again, it's silliness.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The only way this makes any sense to me is that maybe he means that it was Obama's choice to continue the war?
    That still goes against every GOP talking point on Afghanistan for ever, but at least it would mean that he is inhabiting the same reality as us.

jimbo034 on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hope Michael Steele never stops talking. He's the best representation of the GOP ever.

KalTorak on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hope this becomes the official Republican position so we can get the fuck out of that hellhole and stop throwing billions of dollars and thousands of lives away for nothing.

Chances of that are pretty slim though.

deadonthestreet on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Republicans getting enthusiastic about not killing brown people?

Please.

KalTorak on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    So have we always been at war with Eastasia or Eurasia?

Damn I thought I was the only one who used this slogan.

Mortal Sky on
  • Drain-ODrain-O Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    One thing I respect about Republicans is that they haven't tried to use Afghanistan to gain political leverage like they have with other issues. They have a position and they've stuck with it even though the leader of the opposing party is spearheading their agenda, most have gone as far as to say "I support him in this". Of all issues, it would be deeply cynical and I think unpatriotic to try to base your agenda in Afghanistan in terms of politics. If you can't be trusted to give your earnest opinion on an issue on which we have American military service members dying for, then you're a fucking asshole.
    They spent Bush's entire administration insisting that the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq must be fought. If they hadn't spent those seven or so years calling anyone who had doubts or even opposed the wars cowards, traitors, cut-n'-runners and un-American I think they would have no problem using the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan against Obama and the Democrats.

The Republicans entire platform through 2001-2008 (particularly the 04 election) was that Democrats could not keep us safe, and if Bush lost office there would be another terrorist attack. They've already based their agenda in Afghanistan and Iraq for political reasons. It is promising that for the most part they don't think Americans are so stupid they could get away with saying they never supported the wars, and it was all the work of Democrats.

Drain-O on
    I have access to history books, so watch out.
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Surely it wouldn't be too hard a position to take that you don't agree with how the war is being run but you support the troops?

Ordinarily, maybe, but as Drain-O said, they've spent the last eight years screaming that anybody who has a minor quibble with a war we're currently fighting must be immediately shot for treason.

Captain Carrot on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Related: the DNC can go fuck itself.

RNC CHAIRMAN MICHAEL STEELE BETS AGAINST OUR TROOPS, ROOTS FOR FAILURE

"Here goes Michael Steele setting policy for the GOP again. The likes of John McCain and Lindsey Graham will be interested to hear that the Republican Party position is that we should walk away from the fight against Al Qaeda and the Taliban without finishing the job. They'd also be interested to hear that the Chairman of the Republican Party thinks we have no business in Afghanistan notwithstanding the fact that we are there because we were attacked by terrorists on 9-11.

"And, the American people will be interested to hear that the leader of the Republican Party thinks recent events related to the war are 'comical' and that he is betting against our troops and rooting for failure in Afghanistan. It's simply unconscionable that Michael Steele would undermine the morale of our troops when what they need is our support and encouragement. Michael Steele would do well to remember that we are not in Afghanistan by our own choosing, that we were attacked and that his words have consequences."

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

"Here goes Michael Steele setting policy for the GOP again. The likes of John McCain and Lindsey Graham will be interested to hear that the Republican Party position is that we should walk away from the fight against Al Qaeda and the Taliban without finishing the job. They'd also be interested to hear that the Chairman of the Republican Party thinks we have no business in Afghanistan notwithstanding the fact that we are there because we were attacked by terrorists on 9-11.

"And, the American people will be interested to hear that the leader of the Republican Party thinks recent events related to the war are 'comical' and that he is betting against our troops and rooting for failure in Afghanistan. It's simply unconscionable that Michael Steele would undermine the morale of our troops when what they need is our support and encouragement. Michael Steele would do well to remember that we are not in Afghanistan by our own choosing, that we were attacked and that his words have consequences."

That's just light-hearted trolling with the Dems trying to get under the skin of the RNC. That's par for the course in the world of politics.

emnmnme on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Stuff like Steele's stupidity is also par for the course, though, but that doesn't make it less stupid :P

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This situation is actually about Michael Steele, not necessarily the GOP. 'Cause according to the article I read about this (see the quote below) the GOP isn't happy with Steele's comments.
    Henroid wrote: »
    In an effort to make this thread PA's longest to match America's longest war, I bring you silly commentary on the Afghan war. Brought to you by GOP Chairman Michael Steele. Link.
    WASHINGTON - Gaffe-master GOP honcho Michael Steele fought off the latest calls for his resignation Friday over an outburst against President Obama and Afghanistan war tactics.

Conservative bloggers went ballistic and Fox commentator and neocon guru Bill Kristol sent a "Dear Michael" letter urging Steele to perform "an act of service for the country you love: Resign as chairman of the Republican Party."

At a Connecticut fund-raiser Thursday, Steele rewrote the history of the Afghanistan war launched by former President George W. Bush after 9/11.

Steele said it was a war "of Obama's choosing ... not something the U.S. had actively prosecuted or wanted to engage in."

Obama failed to understand that "the one thing you don't do is engage in a land war in Afghanistan," Steele said. "There are other ways to engage in Afghanistan without committing U.S. troops."

Steele, whose tenure as Republican National Committee chairman has often rattled party elders, began dialing back yesterday but did not apologize. He spoke of his pride in standing with the "mothers of soldiers lost at war," adding: "Winning a war in Afghanistan is a difficult task. We must also remember that after the tragedy of Sept. 11, 2001, it is also a necessary one."

"Michael is a disaster," a party elder told the Daily News, "but we need to get through the fall elections before we decide what to do with him."
    Aside from the comments being silly as fuck, Michael Steele could kiss his ass goodbye politically. I don't think he understood anything he was saying.

Henroid on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Whenever I see anyone, whether it's Michael Steele, Glenn Beck, or Victoria Jackson, acting just this demonstrably, inexplicably, unbelievably stupid I always give reality the benefit of the doubt and assume it's just one big Andy Kaufman-style playacting job. In Glenn Beck's case I assume it's done for ratings and money, and in Vicki Jackson and Michael Steele I assume it's being done to destroy the tea party and GOP from within by making them look as completely and totally insane as possible.

Taramoor on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The RNC and DNC serve a very important purpose in US politics: making the actual politicians look sane and likable by comparison.

kildy on
  • Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm positively marvelling at how some one can be stupid and still keep their job. It's like the RNC doesn't give a shit what their people say as long as it gets brownie points with constituents. I mean, really. You mean to tell me that it was Obama that was the site with a bunch of fire fighters promising to kill a bunch of terrorists for this? What was he on? Astounding.

As a democrat, I'm going to weep when the republicans take the midterms. They are going to try to do some bull shit to the president, I guarantee that.

I hope Steele gets shit canned after midterms.

But let us remember: Party of Reagan.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Hasn't it been obvious to everyone for a long time that Steele is essentially using the GOP to buy hookers and blow, and is probably laughing his ass off privately?

override367 on
  • Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hasn't it been obvious to everyone for a long time that Steele is essentially using the GOP to buy hookers and blow, and is probably laughing his ass off privately?
    You have to admit for a person in his position he's doing pretty damn good being the face of the party. and his craziness is hilarious.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
    edited July 2010

There was that bondage club they went to and paid for with RNC funds.

KalTorak on
  • Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    gallery-steeleinterns17.jpg
    steele-intern.jpg

Just to reiterate who it is we're talking about here.

Saint Madness on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I knew Steele was going to be an endless source of entertainment ever since he apologized to Rush Limbaugh for saying he was just a radio host.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I knew Steele was going to be an endless source of entertainment ever since the GOP decided they apparently needed a token black guy to up their hipness quotient.

fixted it!

No-Quarter on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm positively marvelling at how some one can be stupid and still keep their job.

I hope Steele gets shit canned after midterms.

I'm betting Steele knows some secrets about other conservatives which help protect his position. Keeping Steele employed means he can't write a tell-all book, etc etc.

emnmnme on