As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA 8: UFC 116: The Fourth of July Comes Early!

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like how B:L doesn't give Brock any credit at all after a win, and still gives Fedor plenty after a loss.

Its pretty funny.

I've always liked Brock, but I was a big wrestling/WWE fan. I'm glad he got the win. Hopefully I can afford the next PPV.

Goose! on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it's B:L

what do you expect

the greatest fighter in the world really ain't worth shit, and a pro wrestler is doing better in MMA than most people who've only done MMA their whole lives

his world's turning upside-down and he's going crazy

it's too bad the next PPV has Anderson Silva, otherwise i'd buy it

Sweeney Tom on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Star wrote: »
    Chokehead (53) v. Adytum (52)

Metaljared (17) v. tw1tch (62)

B:L (72) v. Moleface (58)

Chagrin (36) v. Star (35)

Chilly (50) v. Oreo (48)

B:L, tw1tch, Chokehead, Willy, and Chagrin progress into the semi-finals.

3 very close matches there. Well done, Oreo. :D

We need a wild card or something to round off the brackets. 5 people won't be too even, you know?

Moleface had the best score of the losers. Seems like a fair enough wildcard.

I was going to suggest the person with the highest overall points. Which would be Adytum who is in 2nd place overall.
    Man what

That counts points from the Finale, which we already said was an event which didn't count for standings.
    815165 wrote: »
    Hey wait what the hell, how did Brock get sub of the night over Lytle?

because brock lesnar submitted a man

it's like the inverse of Fedor being submitted
    Same reason Cro Cop got SOTN.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Comparing Brock to Griffin is pretty weak, but I'll play along.

Agreed. Fedor is a different kind of puncher than Carwin. But I honestly don't think it matters. Mainly because I see the exact same thing happening to Fedor that happened to Carwin: Throw some punches, get taken down by the bigger guy (Lesnar) and then lose in some way from there. At this point, Brock's stand-up is not on the same level as Fedor. That's a fact. Which is why I think he'll be smart and take him down if they were to fight.

Brock has shown some ability on his back. That's the exact position that Carwin had him in for most of the first round last night. Granted, Fedor is likely better in top position than Carwin, but to say that we haven't seen Brock be pressured on his back is a bit silly.
    How about comparing Brock and Leben? Anderson Silva took Leben to the bank as well.

The silliest comparison is comparing Anderson Silva's striking to Fedor's. Silva's won over half of his fights by strikes. Fedor's won about 25%. They're on totally different levels in terms of striking (and that's not an insult against Fedor, Silva's striking is obviously on a totally different level than almost everyone).

The only question in a potential fight between Fedor and Brock would be if Fedor could submit Brock from his back. Even if Fedor landed one of his huge haymakers, last night showed it might not be enough to put Brock away, so it's a pretty safe bet to say Fedor would be on his back at some point.

So would Fedor be able to submit Brock? I doubt it. Fedor's never really submitted anyone with even a passing knowledge of jiu-jitsu. And hitting armbars from your back nowadays in MMA is so rare. Especially with a smart, huge, powerful wrestler on you that likes to sit in half-guard.

I've got Fedor as the number two or three best HW in the world right now, so I obviously think he's incredibly skilled. He just matches up really poorly with giant wrestlers.

Wet Bandit on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    it's such horseshit that it wasn't stopped in the first round

oh well

they wanted to let brock keep fighting as long as he was conscious, so that's what they did

By the way this is the weakest thing I ever seen. I don't ever want to see a stoppage. Get a real knock out, and the dude didn't.

Goose! on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Brock was actively defending enough in a championship fight to keep it going. i have no complaints about it not getting a stoppage.

Dynagrip on
    edited July 2010
    It'd be one thing if Brock was allowed to be saved by the bell. But that wasn't the case. Brock never stopped defending and managed to get back to his feet. No way that fight should have been stopped.

Wet Bandit on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so if brock beats cain

and nelson beats jds

brock vs. nelson?

oh god that would be hilarious

Pony on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Brock was actively defending enough in a championship fight to keep it going. i have no complaints about it not getting a stoppage.

the magic criteria is "relaxed neck" and brock never had one

so fair reffing. Esp. in a tittle fight, where you're allowed to let a sub break your arm if you don't tap.

Carwin did what dana wanted him to do, win or lose - which was show brock was human, back him up a little.

War Leben. I was rooting for both in that fight, because I always want a win for judo but Leben is a friend of a friend. Leben gave a beautiful demonstration of how not to quit.

JohnnyCache on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    to be fair i think it's physically impossible for Brock to relax his neck.

Dynagrip on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    to be fair i think it's physically impossible for Brock to relax his neck.

by definition, you can't relax something you don't have

it'd be like me trying to relax my feathered wings

Pony on
    edited July 2010
    So now that UFC 116 is ancient history, let's talk about UFC 117.

HOLYFUCKITSSTACKED!!

* Champ Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen (for middleweight title)
    * Thiago Alves vs. Jon Fitch
    * Rafael dos Anjos vs. Clay Guida
    * Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Hughes
    * Junior Dos Santos vs. Roy Nelson

I mean, that's crazy. And that's not even counting Thiago Silva vs. Tim Boetsch, which will almost certainly make the PPV with a KO one way or another.

This is probably the most excited I've been for a card top to bottom in a long time. Of course, that probably means Nelson will crucifix JDS, Almeida and Hughes will kickbox for 15 minutes, Guida and Fitch will grind out boring decisions, and Anderson Silva will dance around on my grandmother's grave.

Wet Bandit on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i doubt silva is gonna be dancing around this time
    i think he'll actually put in an effort to finish chael
    i hope so anyway
    and clay is different than fitch
    clay is at least exciting for the first 7 minutes
    fitch is boring for the entire 15

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    i hope so anyway

I wonder if Chael is getting $20 per trashtalking session from Dana with the idea that he might get him to go all out if he's mad enough.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited July 2010
    i hope so anyway

I wasn't saying that stuff as an accurate portrayal of the fighters, just using worst-case stuff since it seems like most good cards on paper don't deliver as much as the "bad" cards.

Wet Bandit on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

edit: also, they have to make Leben/Wand happen

I thought Leben would get SotN, just because of how hard a feat it was, and how close that fight was.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited July 2010
    brock got sub of the night for the same reason crocop did over pyle

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    it's B:L

what do you expect

the greatest fighter in the world really ain't worth shit, and a pro wrestler is doing better in MMA than most people who've only done MMA their whole lives

his world's turning upside-down and he's going crazy

it's too bad the next PPV has Anderson Silva, otherwise i'd buy it

It's because Brock is supposed to be Roll-tier due to being a pro wrestler but it turns a tierwhore's world upside down when they win

FyreWulff on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

HOLYFUCKITSSTACKED!!

I mean, that's crazy. And that's not even counting Thiago Silva vs. Tim Boetsch, which will almost certainly make the PPV with a KO one way or another.

This is probably the most excited I've been for a card top to bottom in a long time. Of course, that probably means Nelson will crucifix JDS, Almeida and Hughes will kickbox for 15 minutes, Guida and Fitch will grind out boring decisions, and Anderson Silva will dance around on my grandmother's grave.

my opinions on the card

not watching because it's Anderson Silva, which means it'll probably be him dancing for 25 minutes

Alves/Fitch is too close to call

think Guida will win

hope Matt Hughes wins

the mere thought of Roy Nelson not only getting a title shot but winning a belt fills me with glee

if it weren't for the main event, this would be a definite must buy

Sweeney Tom on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It's like how Cro Cop submitted Barry and won sub of the night despite the fact that there was a SPECTACULAR submission by someone else (I forget who) in a previous fight.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited July 2010

It's like how Cro Cop submitted Barry and won sub of the night despite the fact that there was a SPECTACULAR submission by someone else (I forget who) in a previous fight.
    pyle
    also
    you don't get to post here until your post your pics from last night :P
    how was it and stuff
    did you run into the rock?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited July 2010

Cro Cop has never fought Mike Pyle. Because Pyle's a welterweight.

Wet Bandit on
    edited July 2010

That is not what he is saying. Pyle had a spectacular submission in the same night that Mirko had a vanilla one... and CroCop got the $$.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited July 2010

he won the sub of the night over pyle
    pyle deserved it but didnt get it because crocop doesnt sub people

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i've never posted in here before but I have been lurking for awhile. I just wanted to throw in my two cents about last night's main event. While I've never really been a brock fan, I gotta give him props for earning that win last night. There was no point in that first round that deserved stoppage and it was clear that carwin had nothing left by the time he got chocked out. I think he would have been able to escape relatively easily had he been fresh, but he was running on fumes by the second round to the point where he barely put up a fight at all before getting locked in that submission.

in the end, I still think brock is pretty overrated, but mainly due to the weakenss of the HW division as a whole. Carwin made him look vulnerable for arguably the first ime and I don't think it took all that much to do it. I'll give Carwin mad props, but his striking ability is fairly overrated. He's got really heavy hands and he knows how to use them but that doesn't suddenly make him a world class striker. I'd like to see brock fight JDS and maybe big nog but even between those two matches, neither really get me super excited (ok, a nog v lesnar fight would be exciting simply because i love nog but i don't really expect nog to win). I think the reason so many people can't get over the idea of fedor v lesnar is because that's really the only exciting match up possible. Well...maybe overeem, but only after alistair fights and beats someone really worth talking about again.

Guek on
    edited July 2010

he won the sub of the night over pyle
    pyle deserved it but didnt get it because crocop doesnt sub people

Ah, I see what you were saying. My bad.

Wet Bandit on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lytle got robbed.

If you so desperately need to give Brock a bonus, then give Lytle a bonus "Under the table," at least. Grrr.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

HOLYFUCKITSSTACKED!!

This is indeed very stacked, but is the UFC trying to make a point or something here? We have Chael Sonnen, Jon Fitch and Clay Guida, some of the fighters most frequently accused of "lay'n'pray", all on the same card! It is very likely all of those three will go to a decision, one likely involving a lot of wrestling and top control. Sonnen may get destroyed instantly by Silva though, its impossible to tell with him. Silva's recent record vs grapplers also suggests a decision though.

This card looks great at first glance, but of the above fights Dos Santos vs Nelson is the only one I'm really looking forward to.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    not watching because it's Anderson Silva, which means it'll probably be him dancing for 25 minutes
    its only ever happened once, for two rounds, so I don't get why some people have that attitude

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Lytle got robbed.

If you so desperately need to give Brock a bonus, then give Lytle a bonus "Under the table," at least. Grrr.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19806/after-action-packed-ufc-116-fight-card-more-bonus-checks-on-the-way.mma

Wet Bandit on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow.

What a card.

Exciting fights up and down the main card topped off with Brock submitting Carwin. Amazing. I loved this event up and down. There was everything. Boxing, grappling, ground & pound, submissions. It was awesome. The only thing missing was a big KO.

But as for the main event, Lesnar weathered the storm and Carwin looked absolutely gassed coming out to the second round. I think the ref didn't the stop fight because Lesnar still had both hands up and he was trying to kick Carwin away and bat his hands away as well. But man did Carwin look tired coming out for the second round. His hands were down, he was breathing deep, it wasn't pretty. He's really going to have to work on his conditioning. I'm not sure how many guys can get Carwin to punch himself out, that's probably going to be a rare thing, but Carwin can tire and everyone knows that now. They'll probably try to dance with him to see if he tires that way. As for Lesnar, Lesnar's gonna have to work on his ground defense. He let some shots go through that he could have stopped.

And then Brock's post fight audience was a literal whos-whos of pro wrestling to greet him. Goldberg, Austin, The Rock, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman.

Can't wait for Lesnar-Velesquez.

JustinSane07 on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The game plan last night was to be patient and let the fight come to you. When I had him in trouble the ref keep saying he was going to stop it and then towards the end of the 1st my body began to seize up. In between rounds I could not move my legs and had what felt like a whole body cramp. My cardio was fine but my body was not. What can you do? You have to stand up and face your opponent.

Heading into the second I knew I need to finish the fight or I was going to be in trouble. Much like the Champion he is I am sure Brock was thinking the same thing. I had zero take down defense as my legs were dead to me and the rest is as they say history.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Goose! wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    it's such horseshit that it wasn't stopped in the first round

oh well

they wanted to let brock keep fighting as long as he was conscious, so that's what they did

By the way this is the weakest thing I ever seen. I don't ever want to see a stoppage. Get a real knock out, and the dude didn't.

'i don't ever want to see a stoppage' is dumb shit that gets people hurt

but i agree that the fight shouldn't have been stopped. i'm just saying that i don't think that call was in line with previous stoppages.

Organichu on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Reznik wrote: »
    The game plan last night was to be patient and let the fight come to you. When I had him in trouble the ref keep saying he was going to stop it and then towards the end of the 1st my body began to seize up. In between rounds I could not move my legs and had what felt like a whole body cramp. My cardio was fine but my body was not. What can you do? You have to stand up and face your opponent.

Heading into the second I knew I need to finish the fight or I was going to be in trouble. Much like the Champion he is I am sure Brock was thinking the same thing. I had zero take down defense as my legs were dead to me and the rest is as they say history.

It would make sense that he cramped/adrenaline dumped or whatever it is he is describing rather than gassing, since his camp (before the fight) kept saying how much of a cardio machine Carwin was and how he was only going to get better in the later rounds. To see him so wasted in the 2nd round was weird

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Well his camp is probably full of shit just trying dispel the notion he couldn't go more than one round.

JustinSane07 on
    edited July 2010
    even if he did gas, I think carwin has a reasonable chance of beating brock in a rematch. he went all out, which played right into brock's game plan. we still don't even know who is the better wrestler since carwin showed no effort at all in the second round. if shane just paced himself and kept the fight on their feet, he'd be able to either win by decision (provided he could last that long without collapsing) or slip the KO. I think he made it pretty clear in the first round that he could successfully defend himself against brock's takedowns when not gasping like a fish.

Guek on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guek wrote: »
    even if he did gas, I think carwin has a reasonable chance of beating brock in a rematch. he went all out, which played right into brock's game plan. we still don't even know who is the better wrestler since carwin showed no effort at all in the second round. if shane just paced himself and kept the fight on their feet, he'd be able to either win by decision (provided he could last that long without collapsing) or slip the KO. I think he made it pretty clear in the first round that he could successfully defend himself against brock's takedowns when not gasping like a fish.

It also showed that he can hit hard enough to get Brock running for cover. Carwin never having left the first round before is, in many ways, a disadvantage. I think his fighting style shows that he doesn't have plans beyond the first round, and he needs to learn to pace himself against tougher fighters.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    right. like i said, carwin has the skillset to beat lesnar- he needs a few grueling fights, or a more intelligent fight camp.

of course, lesnar will also be improving in that time.

i think velasquez/lesnar will be an interesting fight

Organichu on
    edited July 2010
    it was really disappointing watching him try to hammer away on brock while he had dominant position. rather than try to wrestle and position himself better, he literally tried to throw punches between brock's blocks. I mean, i understand trying to finish the fight but come on. after a few deflected blows, it was clear that he wasn't going to get the job done then and there and that wearing lesnar down rather than trying to cave his face in would have been a much better idea.

Guek on
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lytle got robbed.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19806/after-action-packed-ufc-116-fight-card-more-bonus-checks-on-the-way.mma

I like to hear shit like this, pay fighters when they leave it all on the line. That was a great card and I was happy to be able to see it live.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared