As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Also here's my list of shit

BG&E
    X-COM pack
    Borderlands + DLC
    Machinarium
    ME2
    Max Payne Pack
    Peggle Pack
    Plants vs. Zombies
    Thief: Deadly Shadows

This is the first time I've ever used Steam to buy non-casual games (I'm a pretty devout console guy usually), so my question is 1) can these games be played adequately with a mouse + keyboard setup and 2) if not, what's a good controller to get for the PC?

I'm pretty sure those are all friendly to KB/M, but should you ever need a PC gamepad, you really can't go better than getting a 360 controller.

Just be sure to get the kind that plugs in: If you get a wireless controller you have to buy a receiver. Wired ones just work as soon as you plug them into the usb port.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If I have a wireless with a play and charge kit does that work?

Rent on
  • Options
    Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played BE&E with kbm and although it was playable I wouldn't recommend it. And yeah a wired 360 controller is probably your best bet.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If I have a wireless with a play and charge kit does that work?

No. You need the receiver if you want to use a wireless 360 controller on PC.

Peewi on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Athenor wrote: »
    ... It's obvious why I'm enjoying the hell out of Just Cause 2. The only downside is the lack of in-game music most of the time, but that is easily fixed as JC2 is extremely alt-tab friendly.

Better solution: set up a media player with a huge playlist and global hotkeys. (I use foobar2000 and Alt+Shift+F9-F12)

corky842 on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The play & charge cable doesn't actually do any recieving of any kind. It's there only to either have the controller on, or charge the battery if you have one.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The play & charge cable doesn't actually do any recieving of any kind. It's there only to either have the controller on, or charge the battery if you have one.

Yeah, there's no actual data transfer through that cable, only power.

Hence, only non-wireless work without the receiver.

(Though, you could probably get the receiver cheaper than another controller)

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I had shit awful luck with the reciever. My controller just wouldn't conenct to the freaking thing. This was on XP, tried it on the family PC with Win7 and it worked fine instantly. I looked into it and it was an iissue with the power setting on XP which restricted the amount a USB peripheral could use. You could manually fix it but even then it didn't work for me.

I ended up buying a brand new wired 360 pad (says for windows on the packet too).

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

I had shit awful luck with the reciever. My controller just wouldn't conenct to the freaking thing. This was on XP, tried it on the family PC with Win7 and it worked fine instantly. I looked into it and it was an iissue with the power setting on XP which restricted the amount a USB peripheral could use. You could manually fix it but even then it didn't work for me.

I ended up buying a brand new wired 360 pad (says for windows on the packet too).

I really need a new controller, the control sticks on my wired one are getting a little loose, but I keep holding off because I'm hoping Razer will get around to finally releasing their 360 controller that has an actually decent d-pad:
    razer-onza.jpg

If I had that, I'd use the 360 controller for nearly everything.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My haul:

Men of War + Red Tide - $8.74
    Freedom Force Pack - $1.87
    Chrome + Chrome: Specforce - $1.99
    Titan Quest Gold - $4.99
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - $3.74
    Thief: Deadly Shadows - $2.99
    The Guild II: Pirates of the European Seas - $3.75
    Red Orchestra - $2.50
    Dawn of War II Gold - $19.99
    Gothic Bundle - $4.99
    Civilization IV Complete Edition - $9.99
    EVE Online - $1.99

Total outlay: $67.53 for 22 games/expansions. The only regret is the DoW2 purchase, and that's only because my computer can't manage a playable framerate, even at lowest settings.

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This may have been asked but the threads moving fast: if I bought Civ IV two days ago for the not $10 price, is there any way to get a rebate on that purchase now?

I've done similar things at brick and mortar stores, kinda doubt it will fly here.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey if anyone is going in for a L4D2 4-pack let me know!!!

Being an Aussie I haven't bought it due to censorship - would really really like to play it someday!

PM would be great! We can work out payment then too.

Docken on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Great Steam Financial Showdown of '10: The Aftermathening

Stuff bought:
    -The Witcher (second copy)
    -Cryostasis
    -King's Bounty: The Legend and Armored Princess
    -Resident Evil 5
    -Gothic 2 and 3
    -X-Com series
    -Dragon Age: Origins: Awakening
    -Thief: Deadly Shadows
    -Shatter
    -Chrome and Specforce
    -Bionic Commando and Rearmed (second copies)
    -Borderlands and DLC
    -Puzzle Kingdoms (shut up, it was one dollar)
    -Freedom Force and vs. The Third Reich

Stuff Missed Due To Debit Card Shenanigans:
    -Company of Heroes

Total Spent:
    $112.19

Games Bought: 23

Games Now in Backlog: 36 (ish)

Lessons Learned:
    -Resident Evil 5 is amazing, and I should've bought it at release.
    -Need to find RE4 for Wii or PC.
    -Also, Hoz is a pretty cool dude.
    -Borderlands is amazing, and I should've bought it at release.
    -There is a reason people talk about Puzzle Quest constantly and no one has ever heard of Puzzle Kingdoms.
    -I still love 3D Bionic Commando more than is logical or healthy.
    -MY BANK CONTROLS MY SPENDING ABILITY THEY RUN THE WORLD OH GOD THE END IS NIGH
    -I [strike]probably[/strike] need to register with the backlog thread.

Monger on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    This may have been asked but the threads moving fast: if I bought Civ IV two days ago for the not $10 price, is there any way to get a rebate on that purchase now?

I've done similar things at brick and mortar stores, kinda doubt it will fly here.
    I can pretty much guarantee they won't. Custer service stuff is where digital distribution falls flat, but at least this one is entirely on you.

Darlan on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I really need a new controller, the control sticks on my wired one are getting a little loose, but I keep holding off because I'm hoping Razer will get around to finally releasing their 360 controller that has an actually decent d-pad:
    razer-onza.jpg

The controller that comes with the new 360 Slim has an awesome d-pad. They should advertise that it doesn't suck now.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Renzo wrote: »

razer-onza.jpg

The controller that comes with the new 360 Slim has an awesome d-pad. They should advertise that it doesn't suck now.

Huh, I hadn't heard anything about a new controller.

Do they sell it by itself yet?

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Renzo wrote: »

razer-onza.jpg

Huh, I hadn't heard anything about a new controller.

Do they sell it by itself yet?

I don't know, and I don't think MS makes wired controllers anymore. I heard they were phasing them out.

Renzo on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For me, I got:

THQ pack: $49
    Civ IV Complete: $10
    Gothic 2+3: $2
    Shatter: $2.50
    The Guild II: $3.75
    Thief 3: $3
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: $6.69
    Star Wars Empire at War Gold: $4.99

In total: $81.90 for 21 games plus expansions, only 3 of which I have no intention of ever installing (Frontlines, Juiced 2, and Wold of Zoo from the THQ pack). Not quite as thrifty as I had hoped, but the sheer value of the THQ pack including a normally full-priced high-quality game in Metro 2033 makes up for it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm trying to decide what to buy tonight. I want to get something under $20, but I'm not sure what to get yet.

Also, on a different note, can someone post a link to the Men of War thread? The forum isn't letting me search for some reason.

cpugeek13 on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cpugeek13 wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide what to buy tonight. I want to get something under $20, but I'm not sure what to get yet.

Well, what genres do you particularly like or dislike?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Also, on a different note, can someone post a link to the Men of War thread? The forum isn't letting me search for some reason.

Had to search for 'tide' as in the expansion red tide. PA forums don't do 3-letter word searches. Here it is. I just picked it up today too so i guess I needed the thread anyway!

Also, really wanting Borderlands now I see how many folks are getting it. Gutted. Gotta wait til Tuesday evening before even thinking of buying another game :(

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bought:
    Civ IV Complete (you have no idea how happy I am that this went back on sale)
    Introversion Pack
    Thief 3
    King's Bounty complete

Total cost was around $27. 8 games plus 3 expansions for that price is fucking crazy.

I was going to try and get the Far Cry set, but I flinched with the mouse and hit submit with the wrong date and it won't let me look at it again. Oh well. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I did a big old roundup of the best of what is left:
    http://savygamer.co.uk/2010/07/04/steam-sale-odds-and-ends/

LewieP on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Here is my list of game recommendations and here is a link to our Men of War thread.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I spent a little over $120 buckeroos I think

That's fifty dollars less than what I thought I'd spend!

Maybe I should treat myself to War for Cybertron...

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd like to reiterate a suggestion for King's Bounty. It's like HoMM, but with an RPG style quest and inventory system

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Haul:

Commandos Pack - had the first one back in the day, long lost now. Remember it being fun but hard as nails. The price for the pack was one of the most absurdly amazing bargains in the entire sale.

X-COM: UFO Defense & X-COM: Terror from the Deep - cheaper than getting the whole pack (by a whole buck or so, woo!), didn't care about the other ones. Only had the first one back in the day. Amused to discover the Steam release shows the first game's UK title, UFO: Enemy Unknown.

Red Orchestra - it could've been clearer that there was no SP, but it's definitely interesting and unusual. Uninstalled for now but I may investigate it further at a later date.

Thief: Deadly Shadows - got it at launch on Xbox because my peecee of the day was insufficient. Did the widescreen hack (easier than it looks, just remember options.ini is in a different place in the Steam version, that link covers it) and installed John P.'s high-res texture pack. It is EFFING GLORIOUS, regardless of comparisons to its majestic predecessors, and if you didn't grab it before, do so now since it's one of the last-day recaps.

Introversion Pack - toyed with getting Defcon for ages, Darwinia looked interesting, and Ryan Davis sold me on Uplink on last week's Bombcast. Price was unturndownable (it's still there, too).

Grabbed Morrowind and Oblivion when they were on sale a couple of weeks back, too. And I may yet talk myself into Civ IV.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Let's see just how I ranked this time.

Bioshock
    Bioshock 2
    Borderlands DLC
    Freedom Force
    Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Killing Floor
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Street Fighter IV
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Titan Quest Gold
    Trine
    Zeno Clash

All at $77.92. Eleven games, one expansion, and three pieces of DLC for slightly more than a new retail game? Yes please.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    gaben.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    gaben.jpg

Gabe Newell to star in Bungie's 'Pimps at Sea' movie, 2011!?

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Since everyone is doing it, here's what I bought:
    • Just Cause 2
    • All the Just Cause 2 DLC
    • Devil May Cry 4
    • Borderlands DLC: Mad Moxxi
    • Borderlands DLC: Dr. Ned
    • Red Faction Guerrilla
    • Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
    • Resident Evil 5
    For a total of €69.33.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gabe Newell to star in Bungie's 'Pimps at Sea' movie, 2011!?

Wench betta have my doubloons

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I'm going to cry.

It really should not be this difficult to convince the forums to format things.

So just imagine the following list has perfect formatting.
    Freedom Pack                                    $1.87
    Titan Quest Gold                                $4.99
    Thief: Deadly Shadows                           $2.99
    Borderlands DLC: Dr. Ned                        $3.39
    Borderlands DLC: Mad Moxxi                      $3.39
    Star Wars: Empire at War Gold                   $4.99
    Red Faction Guerrilla                           $5.00
    The Void                                        $5.00
    Europa Universalis III: Complete		$10.20
    Europa Universalis III: Heir to the Throne	$6.80
    Serious Sam HD Double Pack			$7.50

$56.12

shit

Tamin on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It does have perfect formatting! If by perfect you mean "looks like it spent its entire life in a copper mine and as a result is permanently crippled."

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Was the Guild 2 on daily sale at one point?

rndmhero on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Think so, yeah.

Alegis on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay so I bought the Borderlands DLC but it's not showing up on my games list

Does it show up somewhere else or what? I mean Borderlands the game is, but not the DLC

Rent on
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I see people talking about The Guild 2, and I decide that despite the flaws, I like the idea. I see it's priced at $7 or so, which is a decent deal (50% off). I research the game, down to downloading a mod, patches, and a hotfix, and figuring out how to configure them.

Then, right before I'm about to complete my purchase, a friend points out that it was $3.75 earlier in the week. And now I'm not interested in it at all. Because that game spent 24 hours at 75% off, I now feel like a sucker if I pay one cent more for it, ever.

*sigh*

And on a similar note, I just discovered that the Steam version of Culpa Innata is in all likelihood a censored version, and out of my cart it goes. I probably wouldn't have even ever noticed it, but I refuse to pay any price for a stripped down game.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Does it show up somewhere else or what? I mean Borderlands the game is, but not the DLC

Unless it launches separately it shows up within the main listing. Right-click on Borderlands and choose View Downloadable Content - it should show up there, and should auto-install.

Ketar on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

When you launch Borderlands, the DLC will download and activate.

Lawndart on
This discussion has been closed.