As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bitching Thread IV: I Must Break You (of bad comics)

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    also at the rate of my reading cosmic marvel, by the time I pick up my next set of trades I will have forgotten this whole argument.

hell I have only recently just read Annihilation

Guardians of the Galaxy is better than Nova in terms of storylines and shenanigans anyway. I've heard rumours about the titles being combined after the Thanos event, which sounds good to me, really the best thing about Nova is the character and having him in the Guardians would be great.

Solar on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh shit Death of Dracula was this week wasn't it.

Was it any good?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't picked up my books yet

But apparently it is completely sold out, so that might be a good sign

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It was a generic mafia comic with Dracula dressed up in mech armor.

I mean it didn't really bode well for this vampire event coming up.

You could say it sucked

Giuseppe Camuncolli has this continuing trend of being a great artist who I want to read, but he's always on a book that I don't care about.

edit: and WW #600 sold out, it means nothing, nothing.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dracula dressed in mech armour vs mafia goons sounds amazing.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I do have faith in the writer

He wrote Deadpool: Merc With a Mouth

and Punisher: Welcome to the Bayou

and this:

n21f5w.jpg

(the story was decent, I swear. but it was hells of overpriced)

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If anyone should be given a new $4 ongoing X-Men book to write it's Jonathan Maberry, but nooooooo......

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wow, that cover is awful.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    look I ain't care who writes it

but the teasers had X-Man and I expect X-Man in the 4 dollar X-Men book about fighting vampires

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    He won't show up until issue #4, and even then only for a page.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Texiken if this happens I am going to punch you in the face 35 times

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When the fuck is BKV going to announce his next project?

The man needs to stop writing movie scripts that never get made

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    but maybe all his scripts will get made at once dr ian

he will sell them all and never write again

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    He's already sold all of his scripts (except for Ex Machina I think) TLB, they just go into development hell. Y: The Last Man is the closest one to getting made and that one has been getting bounced around for years

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, shit

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i dont really care about marvel's space comics. i have a buddy that reads them (nova, guardians of the galaxy, etc.), but i just cant get into it. i read brubaker's x-men shi'ar arc, and totally didnt care about any of the races/species/whatever. and while black bolt is crazy badass, the rest of his crew are lame.

TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

And he'll be killed off like all other remnants of the 90s rolled out for a shock death.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    KVW wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

And he'll be killed off like all other remnants of the 90s rolled out for a shock death.

Yeah, this way the loser X-Man is killed by the ultra hardcore new character who was Dracula's other son we never saw until now because he's extreme. His name will be Botley Shue, he'll have seven tattoos, and he will have dreadlocks. And he will be designed by Quesada. And he can have sex with women both in their mind and physically, because he's got vampire lust powers.

(This is how Marvel editorial probably see it, I'm neutral on X-Man being good or bad)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Caps fought in one war, maybe two but Im pretty sure he only came around in the 2nd one where he fought troops armed with tech far more primitive than whats available in his present and now hes =fought a few supervillains without standing a chance against the more godly except where plot has his back.

Nova fought a war in space. Against super advanced tech. And the techno organic virus, and he brought back the Nova corps.

Fuck Cap.

You're talking about Nova 'should shut the hell up with his whining, listen to the damn worldmind so he can actually get something done'? The guy who routinely made awful tactical decisions and was saved only because he was gifted with the power of a gigantic space army?

I like Nova and all, but you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rage, remember who you're arguing with.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    His mutant power is to argue without knowing what the hell he's talking about.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jeez guys, we're talking about comic books. What is the problem with DW making a comment you don't happen to agree with?

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Because that's all he does.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Caps fought in one war, maybe two but Im pretty sure he only came around in the 2nd one where he fought troops armed with tech far more primitive than whats available in his present and now hes =fought a few supervillains without standing a chance against the more godly except where plot has his back.

Nova fought a war in space. Against super advanced tech. And the techno organic virus, and he brought back the Nova corps.

Fuck Cap.

You're talking about Nova 'should shut the hell up with his whining, listen to the damn worldmind so he can actually get something done'? The guy who routinely made awful tactical decisions and was saved only because he was gifted with the power of a gigantic space army?

I like Nova and all, but you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

He generally made questionable tactical decisions because the World Mind was more concerned with protecting itself and Rider was more concerned with saving lives or investigating things if he could. Im not saying he has Cap's tactical expertise, just that hes gone through enough events at a ridiculously high level and wieleded enough power and responsibility in his hands that Cap should reconsider calling him a 'boy'.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No it isn't. And you know one thing DW doesn't do? He doesn't say things like "just ignore him he's stupid" in all seriousness.

DW if you have ever said that you will edit that post right now.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Who do we report Tube to for trolling?

Ignore him, ignore him completely because Im pretty sure he picked up Splinter cell: Conviction or something.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Fuck Cap.

Cap is awesome and will always be awesome. Some writers (Millar, for example) don't understand the character's appeal. For example:

INFINITY GAUNTLET #4 IMAGE SPOILERS:
    e5h5dw.jpg

htzhgx.jpg

2eupwcj.jpg

21270ye.jpg

2nvytdg.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Damn it DW I said edit your posts.

Anyway, I have always loved the Captain America scan where he defies Thanos. Such a great moment, and so well written, with art that really evokes the black emptiness of space, and the steady courage of Cap even in the face of the Mad Titan. The great build-up to the Silver Surfer saving the day, the shock when he fails, and the casual way Thanos finishes Steve Rogers, leaving him broken in front of him.

A truly great piece of work.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Who do we report Tube to for trolling?

Ignore him, ignore him completely because Im pretty sure he picked up Splinter cell: Conviction or something.

The difference there is Im saying ignore him as a joke, you're saying use the ignore function and you're being serious about it.
    Solar wrote: »
    Damn it DW I said edit your posts.

Sorry Solar, I didnt realise he'd trawl through a few months of posts with CTRL+F instead of actually giving a point.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So you know how Hulk and She-Hulk are outward manifestations of their alter-ego's repressed qualities, at least in some stories?

Is the same true of Red Hulk? If so, what aspect of Ross' personality gave rise to the Red Hulk?

Er...I think his desire to create a Hulk level power and control everything for the sake of the USA. He deems himself so important that he runs around killing those who've seen his secret identity and tries to plot things to take out superhumans and kill Banner/Hulk.

Mostly its his aspect of Stupid that comes through.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I always liked the whole repressed personality thing. It seemed to be a very cool way of showing a character.

Solar on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He's already sold all of his scripts (except for Ex Machina I think) TLB, they just go into development hell. Y: The Last Man is the closest one to getting made and that one has been getting bounced around for years

Actually Runaways is the closest to getting made, seeing as it has a director and everything

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Furu wrote: »

Actually Runaways is the closest to getting made, seeing as it has a director and everything

But they're not using Vaughan's script

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I keep getting pissed off because of the existing Runaways (Joan Jett) movie. I keep seeing Runaways and getting all jazzed.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I always liked the whole repressed personality thing. It seemed to be a very cool way of showing a character.

I really disliked in the Ed Norton Hulk how it somehow wasn't about repression anymore, it was just about his heart rate. That seemed overly simplistic and kind of dumb to me.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I really disliked in the Ed Norton Hulk how it somehow wasn't about repression anymore, it was just about his heart rate. That seemed overly simplistic and kind of dumb to me.

He still gets really angry though. I just assumed that when his heartrate spiked he lsot control and Hulked out, but really the reason for the change and the Hulk's destructive desires was that Banner had deeply repressed rage.

Solar on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Incredible Hulk started with him doing yoga and working on his anger issues, that was the whole point. The heart rate was just a way to show him losing control. Also, your heart rate is a direct connection to your stress/anger level, so yeah keeping that low would stop you from being so angry.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But he had to stop getting busy with Betty because his heart rate got too fast, which doesn't make any sense at all. Sure your heart rate has to do with stress/anger, but the heart rate going up for other reasons shouldn't trigger the change.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    But he had to stop getting busy with Betty because his heart rate got too fast, which doesn't make any sense at all. Sure your heart rate has to do with stress/anger, but the heart rate going up for other reasons shouldn't trigger the change.

Don't make me horny. You wouldn't like me when I'm horny...

NODe on