As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LET'S PLAY] VVVVVV! Hmm? What's this? New levels?

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    josh, where'd you get the soundtrack for it? It does sound so good.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's for sale on SoulEye's site I think. A few of the tunes can be heard on the YouTubes too.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, like these:

There are two options for purchasing the entire soundtrack. One is $4, or you can opt to give him $10 if you're awesome like me. It's worth $10 to me for being one of the few worthwhile chiptune albums that is actually melodic instead of relying on the gimmick.

joshofalltrades on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    *whisper* They can all be heard on Youtube, if you really want.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • MadmodiaMadmodia Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hahaha

The game's soundtrack, PPPPPP, has amazing cover art

gakcbaaca.jpg

EDIT:

I'm listening to the OST now, and holy shit, it holds up really well even outside the game

Pretty epic chiptune stuff

I concur. I absolutely love this game and the sound track in particular. I've had the music on my mp3 player and listened to it many many times on the bus on the way to work and home.

The first thing I thought when I saw your new VVVVVV let's play was, "yay, this ought to be good to listen to" :) Great stuff, and kind of glad to see you're having trouble on basically the same parts I had trouble on :)

Madmodia on
  • MadmodiaMadmodia Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    josh, where'd you get the soundtrack for it? It does sound so good.

http://souleye.madtracker.net/

"Buy CD" on the left.

Madmodia on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man, a new Josh of All Trades LP! A new age is a upon us.

Time to catch up!

MoosehatIV on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm pretty horrified of this slashfic idea josh

Rent on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rent wrote: »

Why are you making this post instead of writing horrifying slashfic

joshofalltrades on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is going to end so terribly.

yalborap on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rent wrote: »

Why are you making this post instead of writing horrifying slashfic

I'm not playing into your game josh

Also I'm too busy writing shitty pokeyman fanfiction to write a slashfic

Rent on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yessssss. Jump cuts are great, I'm glad they are in.

I remember watching IWBTG LP (one of the first few I watched) but I don't really remember much about it.

This is really great so far though. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Exactly what constitutes as slashfic anyways? I'm scared to google it.

blaze_zero on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Definitely following this one. Good work so far.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Yessssss. Jump cuts are great, I'm glad they are in.

I remember watching IWBTG LP (one of the first few I watched) but I don't really remember much about it.

This is really great so far though. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Exactly what constitutes as slashfic anyways? I'm scared to google it.

Slashfic is fanfiction(wikipedia it if you don't grasp it) in which two characters of the same sex who do not canonically have a relationship are paired together. The name is born of old Star Trek mailing lists and fanzines, where early fanfiction really got going. A story in which Spock and Kirk(and it was damn near always Spock and Kirk) were mere comrades and close friends, as well as the focus of the story, was typically labeled Spock&Kirk, whereas a story in which they started to make out was instead labeled Spock/Kirk. Thus, fiction along these lines got the name "Slash fiction", or slashfic, for short.

yalborap on
    edited July 2010
    Ok, I wasn't 100% sure if that's exactly what slashfic was. Like, I sort of knew, but I didn't know the specifics. Does slashfic have to be same sex? Is that the point?

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010
    It tends to be homosexual, yes.

I think hetero is just assumed in erotic fanfiction.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited July 2010
    Hmm, that makes it somewhat harder to write.

I need to think of the most absurd pairing ever.

blaze_zero on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    !entry Violet emoted slightly as the Captain's squares pushed into hers. But as the animation continued and the text square began to form, the alarms sounded; the ship was about to crash. As the rectangles around them shifted in polarity and colour, she felt scared and empty; indeed, looking to the Captain's face for comfort, she found he had been teleported away. Coitus interruptus at its finest.

My fingers are bloody stumps now.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    edited July 2010
    Short but sweet. The rest of you can learn from Bethryn's fine example of leadership here. More slashfic!

Keep in mind one character can be from a completely different fiction.

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    !Entry

Professor Vitellary hobbled awkwardly out of his homely research room, his eyes blocky after a long session of reading and theorizing. The day had been long and he longed for the embrace of another, along with rest and leisure fun.

As his yellow visage entered his own quarters, he was unsurprised to see a figure already there. Wearing goggles and a hard hat, the man stood there looking at blue-prints while drinking coffee.

"Eve'n Doc. Rough day?" the man said with a smile as he handed Vitellary a cup of coffee.

"One could say that," Vitellary's staggered and computer sounding voice answered. "But please, Engineer, call me Professor, or at least Vite."

"And I keep tellin' ya, Engineer is just mah title. Call me Dell." Dell lifted up his goggles and took off his hard hat and gestured for Vitellary to sit down.

"Yes, I see then," Vite's unchormatic voice awkwardly worded, "Well then Dell, I thought that since tonight was Friday, we could have a bit of fun."

"Well, the invite is quite nice of y'all, but Imma still wrap'd up in this here invention. Needs to be done right soon."

"I see. But first, I'd ask you to take care of this before you begin again." As Vite spoke, a large blocky object protruded about two screen pixels wide.

"Vite, can I ask ya to keep that in your pants for now?"

"But Dell, with my sprite limitations, I have no pants." Vite's large hole-eyes stared openly at Dell.

Dell only sighed. "Well partner, ya got me there."

Oh god I can't write anymore of this. I need to go drink about eight quarts of brain bleach.

LOOK WHAT THIS HAS DONE JOSHOFALLTRADES.

blaze_zero on
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    !Entry
    The Captain paused as the words flew by overhead. Truth, Truth, Truth, Truth. Each word a solid, invincible shape. This seemed philosophically correct to the Captain, and the decision was an easy one to make. He reversed the polarity and positioned himself just so. When the flying word slammed into him it tore through his body with lethal ecstasy. In one end and out the other, a spear of pure teleology. The violent joy of it was too much, everything went black. The Captain awoke a few seconds later at the strange C. Having been thusly violated by the truth he felt like a new man. He moved into position again and waited for Truth to fill him again. The captain had finally found beauty in this bizarre dimension.

Craigopogo on
    edited July 2010
    Excellent, you guys. I'd like to have between 5 and 10 entries to judge before I assign points.

joshofalltrades on
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't help but feel that Josh has an ulterior motive in demanding slashfic. Like he's going to use them for blackmail or something at a later date... :P

EtherealWalrus on
    edited July 2010
    I can't help but feel that Josh has an ulterior motive in demanding slashfic. Like he's going to use them for blackmail or something at a later date... :P

Um...yes... blackmail is my ulterior motive...

joshofalltrades on
  • ftrftr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    blackmail/furious masturbation.

ftr on
    PSN: ftr2k8
    PC PS3 PS2 DS PSP.
    edited July 2010
    C'mon guys we need more [strike]scat[/strike] romance in our slashfic

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    The thought of anyone jerking off to those fics is a thought too terrible to think.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I make my entry in the form of a screenplay.
    The scene is a spaceship corridor. Pixelly lights and gadgets abound. Chief Verdigris is working at an access hatch.

Chief Verdigris: #Whistling#

Enter Captain Viridian stage left, crossing the stage he walks past Chief Verdigris at work.

Chief Verdigris (aside): Damn that's a fine ass.

Captain Viridian: Hmm? You say something Chief?

Chief Verdigris (looking awkward): Er, nothing chief.

Captain Viridian: Oh. OK then.

Exit Captain Viridian stage right.

Fade to black.

Chief Verdigris: #Quiet sobbing#

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2010
    I make my entry in the form of a screenplay.
    The scene is a spaceship corridor. Pixelly lights and gadgets abound. Chief Verdigris is working at an access hatch.

Chief Verdigris: #Whistling#

Enter Captain Viridian stage left, crossing the stage he walks past Chief Verdigris at work.

Chief Verdigris (aside): Damn that's a fine ass.

Captain Viridian: Hmm? You say something Chief?

Chief Verdigris (looking awkward): Er, nothing chief.

Captain Viridian: Oh. OK then.

Exit Captain Viridian stage right.

Fade to black.

Chief Verdigris: #Quiet sobbing#

It's brave of you to go the non-intercourse/makeout route

joshofalltrades on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gotta save something for Act II!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2010
    Good news, everyone!
    farnsworth.jpg

My software woes seem to be at an end. I returned that Pinnacle Studio cowpat and got Adobe Premiere Pro instead. It will take me a bit to learn the ins and outs, but the preview window works the way it's supposed to so I can actually see the videos while I am editing them!

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    Part 4 is in editing now. Should be up later today! It's going so much smoother with the right equipment.

joshofalltrades on
  • clam2000clam2000 SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was hoping to see you get the 'I'm sorry' shiny thing in part two, since that was one of the most frustrating parts of the game for me.

Great videos though! They're giving me an urge to go back and give the time trials another go.

clam2000 on
    cdogwal.gif
    edited July 2010
    Okay, new video should be up and available for download. I don't think it's quite converted yet for viewing online, but it should be very soon.

Not to sound big-headed or anything, but I feel like this is the best video yet. I get really fuckin' pissed in this one.

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    Time to rape turds I guess!
    :^:

EtherealWalrus on
    edited July 2010
    It's up now! Right now! NAO! Go watch!

joshofalltrades on
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It seems to be a bit blurry. Moving objects tend to leave a trail of colour behind them in this set.

Apart from that, great! These sorts of games are delightful to watch. And the music is brilliant.

Lalabox on
    edited July 2010
    I'm watching it now. Maybe it's the new compression method, but I actually find the artifacting cool.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited July 2010
    Must be the new method. It came out to a little over half a gig, but I guess I compromised too much. Next time it will take longer to go up, I guess, since I'll just leave it uncompressed.

joshofalltrades on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nice set, I love watching you play these sorts of games because I just can never beat them.

also just a little thing, but you had your mouse pointer on the screen for most of the recording, not very noticeable but thought i'd mention it.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms