As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Demon's Souls: The End (kinda)

• BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So in the first set, you deequiped your armour and said something about armour being overrated, does that mean that played as a Steel Wall type guy isn't viable?

Blurbl on
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »
    So in the first set, you deequiped your armour and said something about armour being overrated, does that mean that played as a Steel Wall type guy isn't viable?
    To be fair, heavy armor is still really useful for the first playthrough, it just doesn't get any better as the game goes on while weapons will scale with your stats, meaning at higher levels it really doesn't matter too much. Where I'm at however, heavy armor is still okay. And there are some situations where certain armors are very useful (poison resistant armor, magic resistant armor, flame resistant armor, etc.).

A good shield is a completely different story, however. You want a good shield.

Barcardi wrote: »
    Also protip: Use and upgrade a spear ASAP.
    hehehehehehe I'm so happy with my bonus set.

Trynant on
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Update!

Surprisingly enough, playing online is actually helping me with World Tendency. Normally it would take more than one boss kill to raise WT to pure white, but because so many players play with high white tendency all it took was killing Leechmonger. This means that I could go and grab Istarelle, a holy spear that lost its way into the Valley. Here is a bonus video for you all until I get the next set up.

EDIT: By the way 2-1 is the next level I will be doing, since a lot of you are kind enough to have me do something almost easy.

EDIT AGAIN: Well, 2-1 is cleared, but I have no clue what I'm going to name the set.

Trynant on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Armor Spider : He protects the secret archstone of the tunnel.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm eagerly awaiting the 2-1 videos

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited July 2010
    My apologies for the radio silence of recent. Fourth of July weekend has been hectic and limiting to my LP time, and I wanted to make sure everything was uploaded and processed on YouTube which took even longer. Nevertheless, Set 3 is uploaded and ready! I even put in little intros for each video 8-)

One thing of note is that I'm pretty sure I got dropped from the Demon's Souls server, because there were no messages except at the beginning of the level when I went through this set, and certainly no Soul Signs or Black Phantom invasions. Oh well :(

Transmogrified Sprites
    Don't forget to vote on where I go next! The options are:

1-2: Getting toasted on a bridge by a dragon.
    2-2: Getting toasted in some caves by a lot of things.
    3-1: Getting zapped by mind flayers.
    4-1: Getting killed hard by Black Phantoms.
    5-2: Getting poisoned by a poison swamp.

Trynant on
  • cozy duckcozy duck Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As before, 3-1 and then 5-2 next (since I'm not too evil).

cozy duck on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nice stuff. Seems like you finally figured out the sweet spot for audio, voice was really clear this time around.

As for the vote, I want you to be able to kill the 1-2 dragon when you get there. :D

I say 4-1. Get the White Bow.

Farangu on
    edited July 2010
    I vote 3-1 or 1-2

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Really enjoying these sets! Makes me wish I had a PS3, so I could try this game out for myself.

I'll vote 3-1.

Toxic Pickle on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll vote 3-1

One of my favorite levels, the atmosphere is amazing

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    3-1 is my vote as well.

Also compliments to how you are making this letsplay, especially with a grindfest wanderfest like demons souls. The way you are cutting this together is nice.

Barcardi on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also for your crystal lizard hunting, get a bow! Makes it tons easier.

Also, you would make my day if you posted your stats at the start of each quicklook ep, if possible?

Barcardi on
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the kind words guys!

I may very well do a little bit of collecting in 4-1 and grab a bow there (but stay away from Vanguard and Adjudicator), but I've been hesitant towards going to levels that are yet to be voted on. I may very well make an exception either this set or later depending on how much I feel a bow/catalyst/Mirdan Hammer/thing is needed.
    Also, you would make my day if you posted your stats at the start of each quicklook ep, if possible?

Can do!

Trynant on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Excellent as usual.

Voting 3-1 since I want to see some minds flayed

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Keeping my vote for 3-1.

Aistan on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    3-1, definitely. We needs us some face rapings.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Man, here I am trying to be nice to him and what do you guys all say?

"Mind Flayer Face Rape GO GO GO" :D

Farangu on
    edited July 2010
    Seeing as how each level you could chose right now has a benefit of going there, I'm not really too phased at this point as to where you send me. For example, 3-1 has both a wooden and silver catalyst, meaning I FINALLY get to cast some fireballs up in this grill, and I get Sage Freke to boot.

Besides, I've been alive for far too long so far. My character needs some death to...liven up his day.
    Farangu wrote: »
    "Mind Flayer Face Rape GO GO GO"

Oh hell yeah that's now going to be the name of the next set.

Trynant on
    edited July 2010
    I do have to admit it is catchy. Now you're inspiring me to pick this back up after it's been sitting on the shelf for god knows how long.

...Although come to think of it I never did get around to finishing it...

Farangu on
    edited July 2010
    Good news and bad news!

Good news is that I beat 3-1 today and recorded it all, and now I have a wand, Sage Freke, and a Black Eye Stone so I can do invasions of my own.

Bad news is I couldn't find any soul signs, didn't fight any black phantoms, and somehow I cleared the level without dying. Oh, and it's going to take forever for me to upload the next batch of videos as usual.

While I'm busy editing the next set why don't you all vote on where I go next? The options are:

1-2: Oven-roasted bridge.

2-2: Angry boss is angry.

3-2: This is where you want me to go if you want me to die over and over again to bosses.

4-1: Most likely place for Black Phantoms and such.

5-2: Some consider this a hard level but I'm having my doubts. Either way this is the second most likeliest place that the game will kill me (as opposed to players killing me).

Trynant on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why does not dying count as bad news?
    Also voting for 4-1

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    edited July 2010
    I vote 2-2, and then 2-3 immediately after because why not

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited July 2010
    I hope this is not a sign that they have shut down the multiplayer servers or anything like that?

Voting 2-2 for next.

Barcardi on
    edited July 2010
    Why does not dying count as bad news?

How can I give the set the awesome name "Mind Flayer Face Rape GO GO GO!" if I never got face raped by a mind flayer? Now I have to think of something else :(
    I hope this is not a sign that they have shut down the multiplayer servers or anything like that?

There were still messages and lots of bloodstains on the ground, so I think it's more that nobody near my level was trying to group for 3-1.

Also, I've been having difficulties with getting my PS3 from a NAT 3 connection to a NAT 2, so that's probably the biggest reason for any unexpected dropouts or missing messages/soul signs/etc.

I'm still online, but probably not to the fullest extent :(

Trynant on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll vote 1-2. Those dragons were too cocky.

Aistan on
    edited July 2010
    I say 4-1. Skeletons a lot more agile than they should be + the return of Vanguard + Flying gigantic Manta Rays? Yes. Also a lot of good loot for him in there.

Farangu on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    2-2!

SkyGheNe on
    edited July 2010

Voting 2-2 for next.

No, I've seen plenty of bloodstains and signs and white guys running about myself.

edit: and yeah, having gone from a NAT type 3 connection to a type 2 connection myself, it really makes a big difference.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I vote 1-2. Make sure you kill all the bosses in 1-2 too! If you can do it without arrows I'd love to see that and would give you a high 5 through the internets.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited July 2010
    I vote 1-2. Make sure you kill all the bosses in 1-2 too! If you can do it without arrows I'd love to see that and would give you a high 5 through the internets.

Well...I do have access to Poison Cloud >.>

Set 4 is on its way, but I was pretty silent during the playthrough so I need to do a decent amount of post commentary for this one.

Trynant on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Trynant wrote: »

Well...I do have access to Poison Cloud >.>

Use a meat cleaver you mamby pamby!
    I won't lie I've always used arrows on him. I'd really like to see you soul arrow it to death though.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited July 2010
    If I'm correct though, he can't make the meat cleaver until he beats 4-1 and 2-2 first

Farangu on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Very correct, he has to unlock special weapon forging at Ed and get the soul for the meat cleaver.

Mmm, Meat Cleaver...

I really should get back to Demon's Souls... I never did beat it once, but I had a great second build character who is Dex/Faith and uses a Meat Cleaver and an awesome bow.

Dranyth on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Meat Cleaver reminds me of Great Knife in SH2. :P

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited July 2010
    Ugh, the meat cleaver black soul was the only one i could never beat, especially in the sludge. I couldn't even run away from it to an island.

Barcardi on
    edited July 2010
    Farangu wrote: »
    If I'm correct though, he can't make the meat cleaver until he beats 4-1 and 2-2 first

Why I want him to do 2-2

Start using those demon's souls!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited July 2010
    Hey all, just a quick update for now.

I'm busy finishing editing Set 4 (3-1), but I'm on a semi-vacation that means I'm away from my desktop and my videos. All this means is it's going to take a little longer than usual to upload the set, but hopefully it should be up tomorrow or Friday.

Set 4 is going to be a lot of Dungeon Crawl.

Trynant on
    edited July 2010
    Can't wait to see set 4!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited July 2010
    Another update:
    I know I said I'd get the set up by today, but as it stands it'll have to be a little bit longer. Editing this set has been a pain in the butt. I will get at least one video uploaded tonight, but I won't be posting the full set until tomorrow earliest. Holidays + editing videos on a computer with an integrated graphics card instead of a good computer like normal = setback.

EDIT: Also my microphone was having issues so I recorded a lot of sound on a crappier mic, hopefully it won't be much of a bother.

EDIT EDIT: Some of the videos are up on my channel; I'll post the videos when the full set is uploaded. My microphone seems to not like my laptop and is getting somewhat staticy and can't decide to be loud or quiet. Almost there!

Trynant on