As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ITT: What was your very first comic?

jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid?NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Graphic Violence
What was the very first comic you bought? What hooked you on the hobby? For me, it was FF #243, "Everyone versus Galactus", purchased at a second-hand bookstore when I was 6 years old. The cover stood out on the stands, I paid my $0.60, and that was that - still buying the things 25 years later.

317bg90.jpg

IMAGE SPOILERS
o1w0x.jpg

2r3xtsn.jpg

2hgacs1.jpg

35mnqrs.jpg

fav2np.jpg

2jb1qht.jpg

2u45xet.jpg

2wq5vo5.jpg

wixdky.jpg

es88kg.jpg

2jaj87s.jpg

2911b7k.jpg

2dtlz6.jpg

10xsfwl.jpg

2ii8i83.jpg

fw2b5y.jpg

16knxp1.jpg

mt1qhu.jpg

1418vab.jpg19

aykpco.jpg

9ymf.jpg

23qx6l2.jpg

tOkYVT2.jpg
jkylefulton on

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    4ujp20.jpg

These days I feel he's all I ever talk about. Need to cut down on that really.

Solar on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    27zb6v9.jpg

Defenders of Dynatron City. I believe the property was originally created for a game, which then had comic and Saturday morning cartoon tie-ins. I still stand by my opinion that it's the most perfect superhero team ever created.

You have the big, burly heroic leader, who fires his own head off his body, and then flies by grabbing hold of it. You have the lady with the big Farah Fawcett 'doo, who has a buzzsaw where her legs should be. There's the spunky tech-head with electricity powers, whose toolbox became the team's requisite robot. Then there's a talking monkey with banana bombs, and a flying, radioactive dog.

Oh, and the TV show featured Tim Curry and Whoopi Goldberg. Fucking. Awesome.

Munch on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    An issue of Iron Man I don't even remember.

Before I knew what Marvel was, before I knew anything about comics in general, I was like "This is pretty sweet dude."

Kazaka on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    11qk195.jpg

'nuff said

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    also jkyle you oooooold

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know :(

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yZChWGr3kpyr3rsrqHfkOqYyo1_500.jpg

Also, may be why The Tarantula is still my favorite Spidey villain.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cool thread.

Mine was X-Factor #68, I was 6 and got it at a Stop N Go after having Friday Night dinner at some restaurant.

d9babf93-51e5-4b31-981e-ed1f86d9e5c.jpg

I couldn't care less about Cyclops giving away his son, but what made me think Cyclops was the coolest was when he goes full blast on a fat Apocalypse robot and destroys him.

And then a few months later I got that X-Men #1 super special edition with the glossy pages and the gatefold cover and all the posters in it. And that pretty much did it. Left for a few years after Onslaught, came back around the time of the X-relaunch with Morrison's New X-Men, and now the big 2 are trying to make me quit reading comics again. It's cyclical, like a comic book death.

TexiKen on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I had some GI Joe/Transformers/other toy-oriented comics when I was a wee tot (under 10). But they don't count.

My first comics were Uncanny X-Men #293 and Iron Man #285:

293-1.jpg
    285-1.jpg

Picked them up at Wal-Mart and read them at my grandmother's house.

X-Cutioner's Song started the next month and while to this day I still don't have the complete collection, it really hooked me. The Iron Man was cool - it starts with Rhodey having a funeral for a cremated Tony! - but I only picked up 2-3 issues of that series.

Tomanta on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't stop reading comics Tex, I'd miss you if you left.

Solar on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think mine was probably an old issue of The Eagle or possibly Transformers UK.

Edit: as long as we're not counting the Dandy or the Beano, of course.

Wildcat on
  • Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I used to read my brother's comics, including the awesome Galactus vs Everyone issue in the OP.

But the first comic that I bought on my own was Infinity Gauntlet #1:

infinitygaunt1.jpg

Junior Yank on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The first one I remember growing up was Detective Comics 667, with Azrael Batman. Got it as a gift. Needless to say I was a bit confused as to what was going on.

detective-comics-667.jpg

Zaylenz on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    some TMNT comic that my dad bought me from safeway.

he then bought me each new issue that came out for the next few years.

Angry on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ralph Snart !

( then shortly after the marvel addiction began

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    382.jpg

I barely even remember what happened in the comic, though I do remember being confused about why Hulk was articulate and fully clothed. Also, Spider-Man did in fact get his ass kicked by Hulk, who was under the influence of some kind of Gamma Virus. I think he and Doc Samson saved the day with science, though.

Also, sudden burst of nostalgia from Munch's posting of Defenders of Dynatron City. I loved that cartoon.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know I had comics before this one (I had collected all of X-cutioner's Song I remember), but Uncanny X-men 312 was the first issue of my first subscription to anything. It's probably why I love Joe Mad's aesthetic just so much (I think this was his first issue of his Uncanny run). Anyway, from this issue it would take me to the Phalanx Covenant storyline to Legion Quest to Age of Apocalypse to Onslaught. Goddamn I loved Uncanny in the 90's.

312-1.jpg

TheHopelessGamer on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My grandfather gave me this when I was about four years old. This and the second issue were what I was first taught to read with, so you all realize I never really stood a chance, lol.

This is one of my most treasured items given to me by my grandfather. RIP gramps!

1-1.jpg

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    255px-GJ_MC142.jpg

It was so awesome to 9-year-old me.

Except that it was part four of a crossover, and I never had the chance to read any of the comics before or after it.

Brolo on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2010
    Kingdom Come. You can imagine how confusing it was to somebody who had only watched cartoons up until then.

A duck! on
    edited July 2010
    I think the not knowing is part of the fun. For example, FF #243 has the FF, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Wasp, Spider-Man, Daredevil, Doctor Strange, Galactus, Terrax - I didn't know any of those characters beyond knowing what Spider-Man looked like, but I was still able to enjoy the issue. And it gave me an incentive to seek out more issues to find out what happened before (and after).

It actually took me about 5 years to find FF#242 to read the first part of that story (FF#244 was easy enough to track down, but #242 was a pain in the ass for whatever reason).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2010
    70% of the comics I bought as a kid I bought just because the cover was cool

I don't think this has changed much as an adult

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Covers these days are mostly done by other people so they never give you a good representation of the art inside. 95% of the time, unless it was a #1 back in the day or a variant, the artist in the book drew the cover.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    ROADHOUSE

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Sam Elliot's best role outside of Beef.....it's what's for dinner

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    People like TLB think that ROADHOUSE was a terrible movie (see: TLB's flawed 80s action hero list).

These people are wrong.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2010
    hey now whoa now

Roadhouse is a goddamn fantastic movie

but other than Roadhouse and Red Dawn and Next of Kin, Swayze ain't do shit for 80's action

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I remember seeing Roadhouse when my Dad rented it along with Problem Child.

One of them was ok for an 8 year old to watch.

The other was not (naked Patrick Swayze is terrible, but naked Kelly Lynch with those legs and that other chick is excellent). Also ripping out throats.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    hey now whoa now

Roadhouse is a goddamn fantastic movie

but other than Roadhouse and Red Dawn and Next of Kin, Swayze ain't do shit for 80's action

Point Break (1991) falls within your timeline. As does the Outsiders. And Dirty Dancing almost kind of counts as an action movie.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2010
    The Outsiders and Dirty Dancing don't count

Point Break, however, is a shameful omission.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Anyhow - first comics!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm pretty sure my first comics were hand-me-downs, reissues of Lone Wolf and Cub with Bill Sienkewicz covers...I have them somewhere but I can't dig them out now. Some pretty heavy stuff for 3rd grade, heh.

Linespider5 on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was young and looking through my brothers box of comics and found an issue of The Punisher in which some poor shmucks go to a game of "paintball" only it turns out the other team is actually hunting them for sport with live ammunition.

Then the Punisher fucks them up.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited July 2010
    Those 100 pack comics for 20 bucks (with the guarantee that one comic was worth $10!) from Toys R US and Target/Walmart were such a great thing as a kid.

Me and my friends would get those packs, and sometimes ride out bikes all the way to the nearest conveinience store against our parents wishes to get new comics and then trade them around going by the Wizard Price Guide.

Nostalgia waves are hitting me faster than Hank Pym hitting Jan.

TexiKen on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My first comics that I avidly collected (up to about 100 issues) when I was a child were Sonic comics. I have issue 0!

Langly on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There used to be this Everything For A Dollar store in the mall when I was a kid. They sold these packs of comics for cheap, but the comics they sold were all First Comics. So as a kid, I had a big pile of Grimjack, American Flagg, Badger, Jon Sable, Dreadstar, and E-Man.

None of which you should ever give a child.

Oddly enough, the sole issue of E-Man that I own focuses not on E-Man, but on his buddy Mauser, and his origins. That's another one I remember reading endlessly as a kid, as it follows Mauser through a childhood of torment, the Vietnam War, and eventually seeing a Vietnamese girl he knew as a child turn into a stripper, and eventually get shot in the face on-panel.

Let me reiterate: None of these comics should be given to children.

But that's why my Mom and Dad were awesome.

Munch on
    edited July 2010
    I always made it a point to hide the questionable stuff from my parents, at least in terms of cheesecake and T&A.

But then one time they wanted to be nice and bought me X-Men #17 after they went out to eat. In this comic there is a two page splash of Psylocke, fresh out of a steamy shower, seducing Cyclops. And my parents tried to tell me what is going on in this comic. And I was trying to tell them I don't know what was going on because I hadn't even read it yet so you can't blame me for buying it because you bought it for me.

Thank God they never looked through some WildCATS issues.

TexiKen on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One of those New Teen Titans anti-drug comics that Nancy Reagan made DC do.

Guess Speedy should have read his fucking comic.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    302-1.jpg

Aww yea. My two favorite characters as a child ;)

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got a massive box somehow, can't remember any details, sometime between my fifth and seventh christmas. It had death of superman, world without a superman, and part of (but unfortunately not all of) the return of superman in singles.

It also had almost all of knightfall (except, once again, the resolution where Bruce becomes Batman again), Emerald Twilight/New Dawn, and build-up to Zero Hour.

I feel like there may have been some books before that, but I was raised on the Tim Burton Batman movies and watched Batman:TAS and the 90s X-Men cartoon from the day they started, so it's very possible that I just have my wires crossed.

To this day I have still never read the end of Return of Superman or Knightfall, but I somewhat ironically got the Emerald Twilight/New Dawn trade and it only has the exact same issues I had as a kid; no more, no less.

I figure that was Christmas 93 or 94. That's what really solidified my stance as a DC fanboy. When I heard Green Lantern got "fixed" in 2004, I was really excited and I wanted to read it again, but I didn't get out to the shops regularly enough. I meant to get it in trades, but I never actually owned up to that until last year when I was finally able to start reading singles again.

Beyond all that, I bought Superman from a grocery store near my house right after they turned him blue, and until the end of the dominus 60th anniversary dealy (the store stopped carrying the books at the end of that crossover, so I never got to finish it either. Or millenium giants).

After that, the only singles I read until last year were pre-packaged old issues of Marvel books that I found at the dollar store. Even in 2004 when I first started hanging around on these forums, I only picked up a handful of trades; Ultimates 1, Cable and Deadpool Volume 3, Batman Year One, and Essential Uncanny X-Men Vol. 1 were my collection for the longest time.

HadjiQuest on