As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Daily Show [PHALLA]! Liberal and Matalin Victory!

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Critical Failures
The early parts of the last decade were good times to be in the media. A fearful public consumed news at a furious pace, any yahoo with a blog could enter the punditry world if they built a large enough readership, facts weren’t required, arguments were decided by the volume of your yelling and the quality of your hair. It was a boom. Unfortunately, an overlooked problem was brewing. As the quality of the news declined, people increasingly turned towards alternatives. This was a threat to the group of pundits gathered in Washington DC and New York City.

Eventually, war was declared:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE

Suddenly, the old left/right scream fest where everyone could attend the same parties together, intermarry, and generally fuck around was under attack. Crossfire was canceled, blatantly ideological programming became even more popular, and in rare cases, facts were actually required to debate. It was sad times for the American media indeed.

Eventually the corporations that owned the major media organizations decided to band together to fight off the assholes who were attacking them. If they could at the same time, drastically rework the status quo in favor of their ideological preferences, that would just be an added bonus…

This is a faction game with a mafia. There are two factions and a mafia. And a few surprises. There are also a lot of kills to try to make this go fast. Every role has some kind of special condition or ability, so you’ll have things to do. Enjoy!

Screenshots and quotes of role PMs are banned as usual. No talking to the dead, no anonymous contact. PM me any proboards you make. All the usual stuff.

Clarifications in the traditional Orange. Ties will be a mass slaughter, so try not to do that.

Standard inactivity rules apply, 2 posts and a vote required.

Day ends when The Daily Show starts (or would start) for me. 11 PM eastern. Narration will be written after I stop watching The Daily Show (usually after the second segment unless the interview subject was interesting. Should be done before midnight eastern.

By the way, I made fairly limited value judgments, as I think most of the media both left and right are utterly abhorrent. Some of them I was particularly mean to, and it maybe wasn’t the ones you may expect if you read the political threads in D&D.

Clarifications:

Millers/Thralls?

Denied!
Seers totally accurate?

Denied!
Can we trust our faction mates

Denied!

Actual policy disputes should be taken to D&D, while fake bullshit policy disputes (or better, personality disputes) are encouraged.

Signup in whatever color

Signups

[strike]1. Aegis - Dancin' David Gregory, Danced his last dance[/strike]
[strike]2. TheLawinator - Frank Rich, called effeminate and possibly gay in the New York Times[/strike]
[strike]3. Capfalcon - Sean Hannity, head exploded due to cognitive dissonance[/strike]
[strike]4. romanqwerty - David Brooks, suspected of being funny[/strike]
[strike]5. Dunadan019 - Alan Colmes, suspected of being funny[/strike]
[strike]6. Sir Fabulous, Keith Olbermann, took a special comment to the nuts[/strike]
[strike]7. Bremen - Eugene Robinson, inexplicably mocked by The Daily Show[/strike]
[strike]8. Ebfan - Markos Moulitsas, started spouting centrist bullshit, no longer interesting[/strike]
[strike]9. Ringo - Rush Limbaugh, described as an effeminate, elitist loser in the New York Times.[/strike]
[strike]10. Alegis - Aasif Mandvi, correctly suspected of being funny (by Bill O'Reilly)[/strike]
[strike]11. Devoutly Apathetic - Andrew Sullivan, adopted a Goldilocks Theory of Politics[/strike]
[strike]12. The Anonymous - John Oliver, correctly suspected of being funny[/strike]
[strike]13. [strike]smeej[/strike] adventfalls - Samantha Bee, centrist comedy is true comedy![/strike]
14. The Ender
[strike]15. jdarksun - Glenn Beck, converted to centrism, even less coherent[/strike]
[strike]16. samurai6966 - Jason Jones, correctly suspected of being funny[/strike]
17. Savant
[strike]18. Megatin - Bill Kristol, his bosses noticed he's always wrong[/strike]
[strike]19. Phyphor - Scott Rasmussen, his polls started skewing centrist instead of conservative[/strike]
[strike]20. Orange Soda - Charles Krauthammer, suspected of being funny[/strike]
[strike]21. daniant - Rachel Maddow, viciously set upon by a swarm of dittoheads[/strike]
22. Svenska
23. Toxic Toys
[strike]24. bratr - Mary Matalin, said the usual crazy things, but on a network that pointed out they were crazy[/strike]
[strike]25. LoserforHireX - Erick Erickson, silly tweets lost him all credibility[/strike]
[strike]26. Lucedes - Michael Steele, pissed off Grover while complaining in a restaurant[/strike]
[strike]27. ronrab - E.J. Dionne, finally wrote an interesting column[/strike]
28. Shushnik
[strike]29. shalmelo - Maureen Dowd, mocked by a physically small man[/strike]
[strike]30. Teucrian - Jim Lehrer, now reporting both sides have good ideas, center is best[/strike]

Reserves:
[strike]1. adventfalls[/strike]
2. Rawkking Goodguy

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sign-a-me-up-a

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm in.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This has potential to get everyone participating banned due to a giant flame war.

The best kind of game!

Capfalcon on
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    da-dum da-dum da-dum da-dum da-dum daaaaaaaaaaa badabadabadum

romanqwerty on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Dunadan019 on
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm back and ready for action!

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Bremen on
  • EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Ebfan on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do this? Let's!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Should you be worried about Bear Sterns in terms of liquidity and get my money out of there? NO NO NO! Bear Sterns is fine!

BUY BUY BUY BUY BU-OH now what!? A comedian is attacking me!

Alegis on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, sign up, Jon, sign up.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The Anonymous on
  • smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Who's signing me up now?

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just where do these Memory Holes go, anyway?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Should you be worried about Bear Sterns in terms of liquidity and get my money out of there? NO NO NO! Bear Sterns is fine!

This reminds me, I could have made so many more roles, I was half tempted to sign up for a main.

Jim Cramer, for example, is NOT in this game.

enlightenedbum on
    edited July 2010
    Alegis wrote: »

This reminds me, I could have made so many more roles, I was half tempted to sign up for a main.

Jim Cramer, for example, is NOT in this game.

Win Condition: Get a majority of people to vote out a village special on a bandwagon you initiated.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited July 2010
    Just saw John Olliver's piece on hooliganism at the World Cup. Fucking hilarious.

Fuck you!

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The O'Samurai Factor with Samurai6966!!!!

samurai6966 on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    !sign up

Savant on
  • MegatinMegatin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Megatin on
    edited July 2010
    Huzzah, I've got everything written up, so we can start whenever we get to 30.

enlightenedbum on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes :^:

Phyphor on
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Orange Soda on
  • daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I...I really shouldn't but...I have to. Jon Stewart is involved.

Sign here to lose my mind.

daniant on
    edited July 2010
    So spilling milk in your keyboard is awesome.... borrowing a roommate's now.

Gonna try to cannibalize my old g15 with my new one and see if I can get a working keyboard out of the two!

Orange Soda on
  • SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Svenska on
    Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So spilling milk in your keyboard is awesome.... borrowing a roommate's now.

Gonna try to cannibalize my old g15 with my new one and see if I can get a working keyboard out of the two!

Guess what, OS? Over in that other Phalla, Arivia is doing something that people dislike even worse than what you did! Go check it out once you get that keyboard a-workin'.

LOL.

daniant on
    edited July 2010
    OMG YES.... i was like.. .what is the single worst thing that someone can do that can top what I just did.

Tell me arivia had a melt down and outted the entire mafia....

*Checks*

Scorrrrrre

Orange Soda on
    edited July 2010
    Also, i'm not sure this is gonna be as simple a fix as I had hoped. Seems the old g15 doesn't have a ground from the usb in and the new (working cord I have) has this extra ground on it. I'm not sure if that is interfering with this frankenkeyboard yet or not. I only barely know anything about how electronics work...

Orange Soda on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For USB one of the cable wires is a signal ground, the shield/connector is also typically an electrical ground

Phyphor on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm playing this game. More at 11.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • bratrbratr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm in cause I jsut became a ghost in musical chairs, how does that happen anyway

bratr on
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I gots killed in the main, lets do this!!!

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm so glad that this Mini popped up. I'm going to have very little to do at work this week and it was going to be extremely boring after being killed so early in the Main.

Ebfan on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    !hah. "news" indeed.

Lucedes on
  • ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    !LIBERAL MEDIA OMG

ronrab on
  • ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited July 2010
    !signup

Shushnik on
    edited July 2010
    Need two more!

enlightenedbum on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    YES

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll do it, why not.

Teucrian on