As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Problems with the new site?

• Lews_TherinLews_Therin Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    EDIT: incorrect

Lews_Therin on
  • typhoontyphoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

typhoon on
    edited November 2005
    typhoon wrote:
    You're not clicking the image, you're clicking the a element, which happens to match up exactly with the image. I provided a working, downloadable example.

[neo]Whoah![/neo]

I wrestled with that for a while...can't belive the solution was apparently so simple.

Lews_Therin on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2005
    If you guys want to try and make an XHTML version of the site that looks identical to this one but uses spans \ divs \ whatever I'm game. It just has to be cross platform\browser compatible. I'm a fairly open developer and I welcome input, that said, I don't do well with people second guessing me. I know that if I used tables, transparent gifs, jpgs, and HTML 1.0 the site would be identical in all browsers. This site is unique in the fact that we can push the limits a bit. Right now it isn't all ready, but eventually I imagine this site being XHTML + RSS compliant. I have more to post about this, but it will be later, for now I demand sleep.

You could just code it in nothing but pure XHTML Strict/CSS and use something like Dean Edward's IE7 scripts to make it work with IE5/6 (plus it fixes the whole alpha transparency/PNG issue with IE). A website that sticks to standards should work in the other major browsers (Opera/FF/Mozilla/Safari) without any real issue.

Unknown User on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Whatever you did alpha, as of this morning the random reloads in Opera are completely gone..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    RSS fixed!

<3

Toast on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    uhm.. it's reloading again, but not the forum's index page this time
    edit: actually, it's only happening in SE++
    edit2: now it's happening randomly in the whole forums. aah!
    edit3: I think I might be going crazy, error's gone again o_O
    Edit4: Aaand back, it just happened while editing this post

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited November 2005
    I don't think this was happenening yesterday...

But I notice this morning that the comic search is only searching the comic titles. I can't search on any keywords that describe the comic.

Ramius on
    edited November 2005
    Here's one of the two-part comics:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/11/14

I know there is at least one other.

Ramius on
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    The reloading thing has still been going on all morning for me.

EDIT: Oh man, this is getting really annoying.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
    edited November 2005
    The links near the top of the page (comic, archive, forum, etc.) do not function at all using Konqueror.

Unknown User on
    edited November 2005
    FYI - regarding the autorefreshing in Opera. It seems there are some reports on the Opera forums of this, and it usually has something to do with hash references and maybe javascript (like location.href='#1023010';)

At a glance, I'm not seeing anything here like that, and I certainly don't know why it would suddenly change this week... But here's the thread references over at Opera.com, in case they might help:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=65952
    http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=103271 (read the very bottom post in this thread, especially.)

EDIT: could it be this line of code that appears on the "Your message has been entered successfully" page?
    <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="3;url=viewtopic.php?p=21461746#21461746">

Ramius on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2005
    adblocking the banner and iframe doesn't get rid of the space it takes up

this is priority one, people

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • bhealeybhealey Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
    edited November 2005
    About the Adblock... maby try doing a search for all blockable elements and see if there is a spacer in there... another board i frequent has a stupid 1pixil wide spacer in the middle of the banner so just removing the banner doesnt get rid of it..

if u tried that... maby there is something else simular that P-A uses?

either way it should come up with something if u go to the "List all blockable elements" thing

Unknown User on
    edited November 2005
    The newspost headers don't scale properly when I increase text size in Firefox. The fix for thijs would be to change the .fullpostheader class from "height: 60px;" to "min-height: 60px;". This should work properly in IE 6, Opera, and Firefox, but I'm not certain about anything else.

The effect of the change would mean that when I increase font size, the title bar will increase in height to hold the Title, Date, and Author of the post.

Unknown User on
  • PifmanPifman Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    I can't search for text used in a comic. Only the name of the comic. I think.

Pifman on
    PA-Signature.gif
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Ramius wrote:
    FYI - regarding the autorefreshing in Opera. It seems there are some reports on the Opera forums of this, and it usually has something to do with hash references and maybe javascript (like location.href='#1023010';)

At a glance, I'm not seeing anything here like that, and I certainly don't know why it would suddenly change this week... But here's the thread references over at Opera.com, in case they might help:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=65952
    http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=103271 (read the very bottom post in this thread, especially.)

EDIT: could it be this line of code that appears on the "Your message has been entered successfully" page?
    <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="3;url=viewtopic.php?p=21461746#21461746">

I'm actually getting a different problem when posting. I keep getting a "connection closed" error message at the entered successfully screen. Gimme a sec and I'll see what it says when I post this and then edit.

EDIT: It says

Connection closed by remote server

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/posting.php

EDIT EDIT: It also does this on editing. It still loads the page fine, and then redirects back to the thread fine.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    The site was loading random images the first time I opened it today. Funny parts included Gabe's Av on Tycho's newspost and on Gabe's post? A giant <- Back button. Also happened on the forums when I opened Games and Technology, and every topic had a lock on it. Oh I wish I had hit print screen on that one.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • nozdormunozdormu Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Fallout wrote:
    adblocking the banner and iframe doesn't get rid of the space it takes up

this is priority one, people

Search the blockable elements for the #DIVs that contain the ads.

nozdormu on
  • JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Every time I load up the main page in Firefox (1.0.7), it wants me to download index.php and I do get the occasional 500 somethingorother error. I saved index.php to my hard drive and it went away, but I don't think that's a good solution.

JWFokker on
    edited November 2005
    I'm not sure what the criteria was for choosing high-res over low-res comics for inclusion in the new single-res interface, but this one:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/11/12

is the high-res one, and is busted. The low res one is still fine:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20031112l.gif

EDIT:
    Here's another. This one, it chose to use the mobil comic for some reason:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/11/26

if it had picked either the low or high res version, we'd be fine.

Ramius on
    edited November 2005
    t Alpha -
    Another possible cause of the Opera reload bug could be the strangeness in the headers the server is returning:
    HTTP/1.0 200 OK
    Connection: keep-alive
    Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 02:13:13 GMT
    Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 02:13:13 GMT
    Server: Apache/1.3.34 (Unix)
    Set-Cookie: phpbb2mysql_data=o%3Aa%3A%7B%7D; expires=Wed, 15 Nov 2006 02:13:13 GMT; path=/; domain=www.penny-arcade.com
    Set-Cookie: phpbb2mysql_sid=91f6dbb9cf78f5789395d7b175b530d2; path=/; domain=www.penny-arcade.com
    Cache-Control: private, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0
    Expires: 0
    Pragma: no-cache
    Connection: close
    Content-Type: text/html
    Content-Length: 27248
    Server: kitchen_sink 2.0/'yo-mama 3.0/FreeBSD 6.0/PostgreSQL 8.1

Why is the date being sent twice? More relevently, why is Connection set to both keep-alive and close?

Ramius on
  • john fechonjohn fechon Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    I'm using IE 6 at home and mozilla at school, and both are reloading randomly when viewing the forums.

john fechon on
    edited November 2005
    I noticed most of the news-post fixing stuff I mentioned is in there. Thanks!

EDIT: ampersands broken again

However, I apparently missed one. In Gabe's post about the PoP comic, there are a bunch of "& #8217;"s (without the space between # and &) where there should be apostrophes.

Also, the forum software apparently accepts &#(number);, and sends it through Example: ß

When will the madness end?

Lews_Therin on
    edited November 2005
    That's a unicode HTML entity, and it is perfectly valid XHTML.

Ramius on
  • CultistCultist Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    I don't know if it's just me, but I'm unable to navigate through the comics backwards past Aug 28 of this year, the back button just takes you back to the same comic repeatedly.

Cultist on
    edited November 2005
    Already been mentioned, in this very thread I believe. You can continue on if you go change the URL yourself, but there is still a bug there that alpha has yet to fix.

Ramius on
    edited November 2005
    is someone going to fix the site so "old style" view.php urls to archived comics redirect to the correct "new" style url?

it's very annoying that every single link to a comic in the entire universe is now broken

Unknown User on
  • SyphilisaurusSyphilisaurus Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    I keep getting "Document contains no data" errors using Firefox randomly when I use to forums, and on the main page. Not sure if this is related to any other complaints or not. It's being a real bother, seeing as I can't even remain permanently logged in on the forums.

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
  • PifmanPifman Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    In my RSS feed there is a new post by Tycho called "There's Some Blue For You" and he says "Tycho: I know it's been requested. (CW)TB.." But when I click on it it's not on the main page anywhere. Oh hey it's there now. Nevermind.

And there's blue behind the news posts. Woo hoo!

Pifman on
    PA-Signature.gif
  • Grayman222Grayman222 Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    I skipped from page 1 to 5 because it is a lot to read but are the forums going to ever match the front page?

Grayman222 on
    "A TRUE POSTHUNK" -150cc
    edited November 2005
    The following article on how to get Alpha PNG's to display correctly in multiple browsers helped me out immensely.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/pngopacity/

Hope it helps you too.

Unknown User on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Searching via keyword through the comic archive is b0rked for me. It just basically reloads the page, yielding no results.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Ramius wrote:
    One thing I'm noticing is that while the page-text is loading super duper fast, the entire page (graphics and everything) is feeling like it loads slower than before.

For some reason I notice it more in IE than in Firefox. I don't know if that has to do with the way it handles caching, or if it is just more noticiable because the png's take a moment to snap into transparent mode, or what.

When doing a shift-reload, so as to force it to reload all the graphics, I'm counting slowly to about 5 or 8 before everything loads.
    The ads might be a bit slow (3rd party servers for the lose), but the rest should all be very snappy. We just changed the kernel buffer size for the OS from 64Mb to 512Mb (and we will move it to 1Gb tommorow) the results should be noticible immediately (the server load has dropped in half) we are running at 78% CPU free right now with a load average of 0.31.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2005
    Ramius wrote:
    I've been thinking about the [*] problem, and something you might do as a pretty straightforward interim fix is this:

div.postbody > li { margin-left:14px;}

I only tested it in Firefox and IE, though. I couldn't tell you if it will work for Safari and Opera.

EDIT:
    while you're in the css file. You should sneak this into the .newspost .postbody:
    line-height: 1.3em;

It should be a subtle difference, nobody needs to know except you and me.
    The li css hack breaks for semantically correct html, I am trying to not introduce fixes like that right now.

I did implement the line height change, we will see if anyone notices.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2005
    Ramius wrote:
    Here's another bug:

Search newsposts for something common. Like, "gabe".

At the bottom of the search results is a link that says, "Next Page". That link doesn't work.
    I don't think that is still an issue as we ripped out pagination, but when we put it back in, it is something I will have to debug.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2005
    Ramius wrote:
    Alpha, Do you actually want a list of all the missing comics? Like, I just found one here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/02/11

I'm sure that put to the task, the forumers could find all of them within a day, but I don't know if that is pointless, if you have some better way of identifying them.
    Actually, if I could have a list of comics that are broken by the weekend, I could probably manually fix the database entries by Thanksgiving.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2005
    firu wrote:
    Firu!

Wow long time no see.

Yeah, I'm totally returned from the grave. I no longer have to babysit the grad students.
    None of them caught on fire or anything silly did they? I'm glad you are back though
    firu wrote:
    Anyway, they aren't consitent in the way they end tags. I have some scripts that will be helpers, but it isn't automated.

Sounds messy. If they were only doing it at the end of paragraphs it would be easy, but if they do it all over the place then you've definitely got a headache.

You know, if it's nothing more than updating and cleaning HTML, you've probably got enough coders on the board to distribute it. Just hand out a spec sheet (to make sure everyone's on the same page), put up an FTP site and let (trusted) forumers chew through the old posts for you. Fossils like myself who used to code HTML back when a text editor was the standard software would finally have a use again!
    I might take you up on that. Such an endevour would be a bit risky, but I think I could convince robert of it. Let me think of a way to do this securely and I'll get back to you. vi for the win.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2005
    Webscar wrote:
    It doesnt really matter much But the new logo is chopped off:

31621443937.jpg

also when i created my acct i got a error "Unable to inser user information into table" or something... anyways... it still let me log in and post tho :p

a few mins in photoshop and i its all better:

31621532730.png as oposed to:
    logo.png

also noticed that when i save it as a PNG it can work on any background or multiple ones... whitch is news to me :O :p
    Good catch. I'll recut the image from the photoshop file and upload it.

Älphämönkëy on