As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ITT: What was your very first comic?

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    302-1.jpg

Aww yea. My two favorite characters as a child ;)

Shit, I remember that one. It was during the Lethal Protector phase too, which had Venom getting miniseries after miniseries.

Case in point, the first complete miniseries I ever remember getting.

001.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

In which a weird virus infects Venom and gives him extra arms and heads for no apparent reason.

We're also introduced to Venom's love interest, a down-trodden social worker who demands, "No teeth," before agreeing to kiss him.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This thread has renewed my desire to complete my X-Cutioner's Song collection (I only need one issue anyway, part 11 I think). I should probably also complete the original Age of Apocalypse run (only missing two or three issues there). Even though I'm actually looking to get rid of those since I have them all in TPB.

I already posted what got me into comics, but after a year or two my parents made me stop buying comics. At some point after that, I managed to pick up Generation X #1. I also was able to get Wizard every once in a while, and once I knew about AoA I was very excited. I managed to pick up all four issues of Legion Quest, and all four of Factor X; later I got to read most of AoA through my cousin's collection.

Anyway, these periodic purchases kept my interest alive until I had more freedom to pick up more on my own (now I am pretty exclusively trades only). X-Cutioner's Song and AoA really formed my comic tastes so the floppies are hard to part with.

Now if you excuse me, I have Essential X-Men vol. 5 to continue reading.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mine was the 2nd or 3rd part in taht Spider-man "event" where he has to fight Carnage and all his people, with the help of Morpheus, Dagger and Cloak, and Venom.

As one can imagine I didn't really get back into comics for awhile after that.

My next "first" comics were Savage Dragon, because fuck yeah!

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    one of my very first comics was the medieval spawn comic which came with the action figure. other than that it was random spider-man comics from the 90's

ThePrimm on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    qDpgP.jpg

Captain America and Spider-Man fight a cyborg scientist who was threatening to blow up Washington DC with a nuke. The day was saved when Nick Fury showed up and shot him in the brain.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    143999 wrote: »
    One of those New Teen Titans anti-drug comics that Nancy Reagan made DC do.

Guess Speedy should have read his fucking comic.

This. And even as a kid, I thought all their costumes looked old and dated.

GET A NEW LOOK CYBORG

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I always made it a point to hide the questionable stuff from my parents, at least in terms of cheesecake and T&A.

But then one time they wanted to be nice and bought me X-Men #17 after they went out to eat. In this comic there is a two page splash of Psylocke, fresh out of a steamy shower, seducing Cyclops. And my parents tried to tell me what is going on in this comic. And I was trying to tell them I don't know what was going on because I hadn't even read it yet so you can't blame me for buying it because you bought it for me.

Thank God they never looked through some WildCATS issues.

Cool parents are cool. And I've seen that psylocke scan, it's enough to turn any boy into a real man.

Solar on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I was young and looking through my brothers box of comics and found an issue of The Punisher in which some poor shmucks go to a game of "paintball" only it turns out the other team is actually hunting them for sport with live ammunition.

Then the Punisher fucks them up.

This explains much.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I had a small stack of Ninja Turtles comics when I was a kid, but I never really got into the whole "super comic fan" mode until I got two whole boxes of them at a local charity store for ten bucks. Spent a whole summer week organizing and reading them- I apparently managed to acquire a large chunk of stuff from the late 70's early 80s- like single-digit New Mutants, a bunch of old Teen Titans (including the entire original Terra storyline, which is awesome), some Legion of Superheroes, and then a smattering of later books.

It made me pissed the town I used to live in didn't have a comic shop.

I still have most of them.

These days all I really collect are old issues of Knights of the Dinner Table- not a lot of room in a college dorm room for large boxes full of comic books.

Maybe I should go dig through the shop near the university again and see if I can't find more pieces to my collection I need...

Then there are the the collections of more modern comics I picked up at hobby stores for three bucks a bag when I was sixteen (about 1998 or so... god, I feel old.)

I got some cool comics out of that. Lots of Gen13 and other wonderful stuff. Let's just say a lot of the comics in those bags could have put a Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue to shame. When I opened the first bag in the car, I was like :oops: and pushed the comics underneath the seat (so they wouldn't get trampled, or so I claimed).
    Of course... inside I was :winky:. Come on, wouldn't you?

It was a wake-up call to a guy whose only exposure to comics were old 1970's super-hero teams.

I should find them again. Maybe invest in some better boxes so I can organize and read them again before I go back to school.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    New Universe for me - the only comics that the little book store in my town had (don't know why they carried them in the first place). DP 7, Codename Spitfire and Justice - Justice was my absolute favorite. I actually would like to go back and read the whole series but have never gotten around to it...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I must have been about six but all I remember was that it was a Marvel and had Red Skull, Bullseye and maybe the Punisher in it. First time I saw blood in drawn form with Bullseye throwing a sai into some dude.

The first comic I ever bought was a Star Trek: TNG comic and Circle K at like 7. No idea why cause I know the thing was super boring. Next was a Ninja Turtle one which I hated cause there was some weird shit going on in it that was nothing like the cartoon.

I had liked Spider-Man for awhile but I never read one of his comics till I was in 7th grade and needed to draw a dot stipple comic character for art class. Asked my mom to buy a Spider-Man comic for on her way home from work and she brought home Essential Spider-Man 1 which had I think the first 36 Spidey comics. I was sorta not impressed since they didn't live to the legend I heard about.

I am actually not a big fan of comics themselves but I like the characters and most of their modern fairy tales.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Amazing Spider-Man #358, the final issue in the six part "Round Robin" story arc. I knew nothing at all of what was going on in that arc. All I knew was that Spidey and some other awesome looking guys were beating the shit out of hordes of dudes and some cyborgs. This issue made me a Marvel fan and I still owned it (sans cover) up until a few years ago, when I passed it on to my nephew.

Spoilered for huge:
    AmazingSpider-Man358Gatefold.jpg

Note the 90s comic tropes: pointy feet, nunchuks, brooding ninja-type guy.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Archie and Jughead. Those books were so terrible haha.

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    I remember that Spider-Man storyline. Good times. :)

The first comic I remember owning was a reprint of Amazing Spider-Man #39.

AmazingSpider-Man039.jpg

I think I had seen the Spider-Man cartoon a few times but didn't have much of an opinion on superheroes one way or the other. We were visiting my grandparents and my grandfather took me out to run some errands with him. Because we only saw them once in a while, he was constantly trying to buy me things and I was looking for something I wanted that wouldn't get me in trouble with my mom for taking advantage of his generosity.

What really got me into comics though was the first Tim Burton Batman movie in '89. That summer I was buying anything superhero related that I could get my hands on and it's all been downhill from there.

DMAC on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    0016.jpg

My very first comic, well apart from the Beano/ The Dandy stuff.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BigDes wrote: »
    0016.jpg

Did he end up getting stabbed or what?

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    BigDes wrote: »
    0016.jpg

Did he end up getting stabbed or what?

No, it ended up being a isn't homelessness terrible story.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    well, isn't it?

Langly on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh yeah, but it didn't feature Blue Beetle stabbings.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    homelessness ain't so bad

'course it's shank or be shanked

but you can make sangria in the terlet

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think I was the only person who collected Sonic comics.

Langly on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I had a subscription around the time of Sonic 3, although I can't remember much about them compared to the awesome ABC cartoon or the terrible syndicated cartoon.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They were like the ABC cartoon. And then Knuckles was all fuck youuuuu and then sonic was all wachow i'm super sonic now and then knuckles was like ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Langly on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thinking about it now, I remember reading in the comic about how Sonic was originally brown and Robotnik was actually a good scientist but Sonic was running on a treadmill and something spilled on the controls and it blew up and turned Sonic blue and Robotnik evil (is there a reason he's called Eggman these days, since Sonic Adventure on the DC?)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He was always called Eggman in Japan

They changed it to Robotnik for the earlier games

Then they just didn't care anymore because nobody cared about sonic anymore

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My first comic was an issue of GI Joe: Special Missions.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i think my first comic was marvel UK's transformers no. 72. my dad used to buy it every sunday to keep me quiet at my grans. i kept reading it until it ended, hence my excitement when dreamwave brought it back a few years ago.

the first comic i bought myself was west coast avengers 49

http://www.greatlakesavengers.com/AWC49.html

pure gold, and purchased in an age when you could buy comics in newsagents...

manji on
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Late nineties Superman. My dad picked me up a few comics because I was sick, and that's what he did when you were sick.

This was one

This was another.

There was also another, with Superman fighting some sort of wolf-like guy who was an ex-con and maybe some sort of recurring foe of his. Forget the name. I'm not much of a Superman fan these days though. I don't dislike the guy, but I'm not putting his titles on my pull list anymore.

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    swse1.jpg

Hell yeah

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If I remember right, it was a Spider-Man comic that was based on the cartoon. I think it involved Doc Ock taking over a power plant? Didn't really pay attention to comics again until I bought Ultimate Spider-Man for a friend's birthday when I was about 16. After reading those I made a really random jump to Hellboy at 17 and flat out fell in love.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    400-1.jpg

MastaP on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    rom-1.jpg

My grandmother has a three ring binder full of old comics as it is an xmass custom for each child to get a comic every year. I mean waaaaaay back. These comics were in a drawer in the toilet when I was a kid. I mean a massive stack. Rom is the first one I remember. I am 99.9% sure the first appearance of the punisher is in that stack. :D

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My first was a book of collected Spider-man stories from my elementary school library, started with Amazing Fantasy #15 and continued with Doc Ock, Chameleon, Electro, Sandman, all the classic first encounters of Spider-man's career. Good stuff, hooked me immediately.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I read a lot of Asterix and Tintin while growing up, but my first superhero comic was DKSA.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    rom-1.jpg

My grandmother has a three ring binder full of old comics as it is an xmass custom for each child to get a comic every year. I mean waaaaaay back. These comics were in a drawer in the toilet when I was a kid. I mean a massive stack. Rom is the first one I remember. I am 99.9% sure the first appearance of the punisher is in that stack. :D

It's hard to pin down my first comic as it was a fairly sparse collection. The only book I really bought in sequence for any length of time was the resurgence of Eagle magazine in the early 90's. Very few little of the new content was actually good though and they certainly werent my first comics.

One of my most memorable comics was a ROM comic though. On the cover he was arcing back in pain with his armour flying/peeling off him. It blew my tiny mind at the time.

NODe on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fantastic Four number... 40?

It was the first one in my dad's collection though, I think. I forget exactly when he decided I was old enough to not tear his comics apart, maybe 8-9.

Then I spent like a year going through all the back issues of FF/Spidey/Avengers/Thor.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Battle of the Baxter Building" would be a good first issue for anyone - FF and Daredevil vs Doom.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My first comic was a hardbound collection of "SHAZAM" at my local university library.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    CarbonRodCarbonRod Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spider-Man 2099 #1 because it was shiney

CarbonRod on