As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Batman comics

• MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think this issue is the only issue ever where the unrelated preview in the back actually matches and enhances the story.

MastaP on
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MastaP wrote: »
    I think this issue is the only issue ever where the unrelated preview in the back actually matches and enhances the story.

I was thinking the same thing

Tairu on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok, I just finished reading whatever the four trades are going from batman and son to RIP. Some of it's incredibly confusing, but I think I got it. I've got two questions:

1:spoilers about the end of RIP, I guess
    So Batman beats the bad guy and goes into the drink. Then there are like three issues of nonsense. What is all this stuff? Suddenly he's in some machine having his memories sucked out or something? Is that supposed to be an epic reveal, like the last ton of stuff was all a dream? But I've read later issues so I know Damien is real. This is why I normally avoid the big series, because I feel like I need to have read Catwoman #281 and Green Lantern #899 to know what the fuck is going on. Can someone explain for me?

I did enjoy Robin's being tempted by the dark side in a quest to bring back a bunch of characters that have since returned on their own as far as I'm aware. It's impossible to have that kind of temptation as anything but a farce in mainstream comics, since everybody constantly comes back to life anyway. Robin must not pay attention to current events.

Question #2: What comes after RIP? Battle for the Cowl, and then it's back to Morrison for Batman and Robin? I started picking up Batman and Robin, because I liked the idea of Dick being Batman, so I'm going backwards from there in trades.

PolloDiablo on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pollo the issues where Batman is in the machine is a Final Crisis tie-in. Everything in RIP happened right before FC. Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader is out of continuity entirely.

And yeah Battle for the Cowl and Batman & Robin are up next.

Furu on
    edited June 2010
    Is it worth getting final crisis, or would that totally throw me?

PolloDiablo on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    UHHHH you'll need it for Blackest Knight and Return of Bruce Wayne

Furu on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay, so ROBW is awesome and all, but what's up with Batman and Robin? I haven't been to my LCS in a while, but what's the latest issue out, 12? If so when's 13 out?

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
    edited June 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    UHHHH you'll need it for Blackest Knight and Return of Bruce Wayne

Blackest Knight is all the zombie stuff? Could I skip that if I just want to read Batman stories, but not the larger DCU stuff? I don't really care about green lantern and everyone.

PolloDiablo on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You WILL need Final Crisis to bridge RIP to Return of Bruce Wayne. And 'Blackest Knight' is a Batman and Robin arc, actually, doesn't have a whole lot to do with the GLs but does tie up a couple loose ends as far as plot and character motivation for Dick, strengthening his motivation and attitude, so, don't ignore.

Linespider5 on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Morrison pretty much recapped all you needed (Batman-wise) from Final Crisis in one page of RoBW #3.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok, I just finished reading whatever the four trades are going from batman and son to RIP. Some of it's incredibly confusing, but I think I got it. I've got two questions:

So Batman beats the bad guy and goes into the drink. Then there are like three issues of nonsense. What is all this stuff? Suddenly he's in some machine having his memories sucked out or something? Is that supposed to be an epic reveal, like the last ton of stuff was all a dream? But I've read later issues so I know Damien is real. This is why I normally avoid the big series, because I feel like I need to have read Catwoman #281 and Green Lantern #899 to know what the fuck is going on. Can someone explain for me?

I did enjoy Robin's being tempted by the dark side in a quest to bring back a bunch of characters that have since returned on their own as far as I'm aware. It's impossible to have that kind of temptation as anything but a farce in mainstream comics, since everybody constantly comes back to life anyway. Robin must not pay attention to current events.

If you want a textual explanation,
    After Batman is in the water, Final Crisis occurs, where Batman's entire participation consists of being captured (probably from the water) and then tortured in that crazy syringe helmet machine. He has been captured by the Cosmic God of All Evil, in order to make a clone army of super competent Batmen. Except he fights his way out, faces down the big bad, and shoots him with a god bullet. At the same time, he is killed by eye lasers.
    Not really killed.

Lux on
    edited June 2010
    Lux wrote: »

If you want a textual explanation,
    After Batman is in the water, Final Crisis occurs, where Batman's entire participation consists of being captured (probably from the water) and then tortured in that crazy syringe helmet machine. He has been captured by the Cosmic God of All Evil, in order to make a clone army of super competent Batmen. Except he fights his way out, faces down the big bad, and shoots him with a god bullet. At the same time, he is killed by eye lasers.
    Not really killed.
    As shown in the two Last Rites issues at the end of Batman RIP, he eventually gets out of the water and finds his way to the Batcave, where he gets a call from the Justice League, who ask him to check out Orion's murder. Then he goes up to the watchtower with the radion bullet and gets kidnapped by the Alpha Lantern Kraken

Tairu on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Batman 701 and 702 are going to explain what happened between the end of RIP and Final Crisis.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Batman 701 and 702 are going to explain what happened between the end of RIP and Final Crisis.

I...guess. I really thought we'd covered that ground, between leaving the Gotham river, going to the Hall of Justice, and waking up in the Factory of Evil. But it IS Morrison writing these issues, so it must be relevant. The present chain of events already seems acceptable, though.

Linespider5 on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So.

Did anyone have feelings about Batman Beyond #1? I found it... middling.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2010
    It was consistent, but by sheer virtue of pacing, it's basically just the period of time between the opening credits and the first commercial break. All set up. I'll give it another issue or two

MastaP on
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to be pretty pissed if this really does turn out to be a "Hush Beyond" story. All I'm sayin'.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2010
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I'm going to be pretty pissed if this really does turn out to be a "Hush Beyond" story. All I'm sayin'.

Well, it's obviously not set in the current DCU, so either this is a new Hush, or the legacy of a new hush. Either way, there's enough flexibility there to make a completely different character.

EDIT: though my work in comics retail has taught me that despite what the vocal minority of the internet (and myself) says, there are a lot of people who like Hush, both the story and the character

MastaP on
    edited July 2010
    I absolutely love "Heart of Hush" and most everything Dini's done with the character, and it's pretty much for that reason that I don't want another Hush story. Dini made the character his baby and really breathed life into him. Too much Hush exposure elsewhere will muddy that, I think. And as it happens, I do believe this mini-series is supposed to be set in DCU continuity, and its solicits and advance press all focused pretty heavily on the idea of a villain from Bruce's past coming back to wreak havoc in Terry's era.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2010
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I absolutely love "Heart of Hush" and most everything Dini's done with the character, and it's pretty much for that reason that I don't want another Hush story. Dini made the character his baby and really breathed life into him. Too much Hush exposure elsewhere will muddy that, I think. And as it happens, I do believe this mini-series is supposed to be set in DCU continuity, and its solicits and advance press all focused pretty heavily on the idea of a villain from Bruce's past coming back to wreak havoc in Terry's era.

It seems to be going straight from the show more than anything, I didn't read anything in the issue that invoked the Current DCU instead of the set world of Beyond and BTAS before it.

As for me, I dislike Heart of Hush almost as much as I disliked Hush, but if they're willing to do brand new things with what seems to be a brand new character just with the same look and name, I'll give it a shot.

MastaP on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hush had the worst gimmick, so it's a shame to see the mummy face return after Dini got rid of it in Heart of Hush.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2010
    I take it back

A "Hush Beyond" story would be totally awesome if it was just geriatric Tommy facing Old Man Bruce in a blazing wheel chair race to the death, Terry flying overhead making cracks about jowls flapping in the wind and such

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I hate Hush and how he's the Anti-Batman just 'because'. Oh, all this time, this guy Bruce knew has gone off and learned to be all super deadly and rich and parentless himself and he thinks hes Batman/Bruce Waynes arch nemesis because and so thats how it goes in the Wild, Wild West.

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010
    I hate Hush and how he's the Anti-Batman just 'because'. Oh, all this time, this guy Bruce knew has gone off and learned to be all super deadly and rich and parentless himself and he thinks hes Batman/Bruce Waynes arch nemesis because and so thats how it goes in the Wild, Wild West.

Of the what, Five? Fifteen? Thirty? Anti-Batmen, hush is my least favorite, because the childhood jealousy thing is so dumb.

Edit: Even then I'm willing to accept any character if the story is good. Unfortunately, Dini spent his time playing up what I disliked most about the character, and then poured an extra helping of schmaltz over the whole thing. Pity too, because the rest of his Detective run was amazing.

Oh well. Between Batman Beyond, Batman and Robin, Batman, Return of Bruce Wayne, Batman confidential and even Detective Comics, I've been enjoying the Batbooks more than I have in years. And NEW BATMAN AND ROBIN wednesday!

MastaP on
    edited July 2010
    MastaP wrote: »

Of the what, Five? Fifteen? Thirty? Anti-Batmen, hush is my least favorite, because the childhood jealousy thing is so dumb.

I know I live my life around my childhood rivalry with TLB.

DarkWarrior on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    you will never be as cool, smart, talented, or handsome as me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    you will never be as cool, smart, talented, or handsome as me

We'll see about that irrationally!

DarkWarrior on
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Olorin wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Olorin wrote: »
    Just finished RIP and it was FANTASTIC!
    It seems like it dealt with some ancient history that I'm unfamiliar with: the isolation chamber, Dr. Hurt, club of superheroes, etc. I'm still not sure who Dr. Hurt really was. At one point he was claiming to be Thomas Wayne, but I know that's not true. One thing I was curious about: Dr. Hurt claims he had been slowly preparing for this moment for a long time, manipulating Batman and so on. Is that foreshadowed in earlier issues (some mysterious figure manipulating events) or was it only mentioned in the RIP arc? Same thing with the trigger phrase, was that ever mentioned before (like during the isolation chamber incident), or did it only come out in the RIP arc?

It makes more sense if you read Batman and Son and The Black Glove trades that precede it, with a little more explanation of Hurt and the isolation experiments.

Basically, Morrison is trying to take all of the forgotten silver age Batman stories and characters that were forgotten when comics "grew up," and finding ways to place them back into the character's revised history.

Zeromus will probably show up at some point and give you a really hardcore detailed explanation of everything.

Well, I did read black glove first, but I have not read Batman and Son. Is it worth picking up?

Definitely, the Batman and Son story is just a really tight, world traveling Batman action story. It takes up half the trade, then there's a prose story about the Joker setting up his new role in RIP, and then the first few issues setting the stage for RIP and revealing the hidden history.

LCS finally got my order and I've read through about half of it. It's really good. Favorite part so far...
    Man-bats. Ninja man-bats. An alarming twist.

I got a pretty good laugh out of that.

Maratastik on
  • The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aww jeah, Batman and Robin today.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
    edited July 2010
    pimphurt.jpg

Creepiest. Panel. Ever.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wait.

Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

And where in the world did comics come out on Wednesday? USA and Canada had holidays, and the euros and aussies always get their stuff Thursday.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    pimphurt.jpg

Creepiest. Panel. Ever.

I just noticed
    Professor Pyg in the background.
    This issue was full of creepy panels
    My wife. My son. Yes.

Tairu on
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Wait.

And where in the world did comics come out on Wednesday? USA and Canada had holidays, and the euros and aussies always get their stuff Thursday.

We got 'em up here in Canada.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
    edited July 2010
    So like

Might go into work late tomorrow so I have enough time to go to the comic shop since I must edit film until 9 or some shit

We should get Batman & Robin days off, probably.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2010
    Oh and Batman: Odyssey, who else is looking forward to that?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Wait.

We got 'em up here in Canada.

Yup!

As for the issue: Well, All the hanging plotlines from RIP came crashing in with all the subtly of a brick wall.

I loved it though. Especially the Gordon stuff.

MastaP on
    edited July 2010
    And I've just been re-reading R.I.P.! How exciting.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What's Odyssey about?

Also, neat avatar and sig!

Robos A Go Go on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What's Odyssey about?

Also, neat avatar and sig!

Neal Adams trying to pull every bit of batman history into a frame story that's supposed to be Batman's ultimate adventure. Essentially Batman will flash back to earlier adventures that presented strong shifts for the character, and those will in turn then relate to present day as he deals with the ultimate case.

It sounds really cool, almost like a bronze-aged version of what Morrison is doing now. Adams is supposed to be sitting on almost the entire run already too (I think bleeding cool said a few months ago that he was almost finished with issue 9).

DC is going to do it in two runs of six issues.

It sounds amazing, but I will probably be trade waiting it simply because I can't afford to add anymore books to my pull. Beyond that, I imagine it will be getting the Deluxe Hardcover treatment, which will be awesome on its own.

HadjiQuest on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It is $4 for oversized issues, so you at least get your money's worth.

TexiKen on
This discussion has been closed.