As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA 8: UFC 116: The Fourth of July Comes Early!

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Drunken rednecks love their soap operas. I think that's why WWE is still so much more popular.

I also think that most people just don't understand MMA. Look at Mike and Jerry's comic on it. "Twenty minutes of sweaty dick punching." People that post in this thread understand the ground game and what's going on. To most people it looks pretty homo-erotic, I bet.

I didn't understand it right away either. Took me quite a few events to finally grasp what was going on and what they were doing.

I only started watching MMA events once I started taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and as such I never had to overcome the "how homoerotic" hurdle.

And there are even some pro fighters that have that mindset. Chael Sonnen, for example. I remember that he said something along the lines of, "I don't do BJJ, I'm a Republican" not too long ago and I just facepalmed. I'm thinking, "Chael, you were a wrestler in school. You played grab-ass with guys for years and you somehow think that BJJ is gay?"

I think he's entertaining when he talks most of the time, but sometimes he just says really stupid things.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    I'm completely with you guys, there's too many PPVs. I know they'll keep doing it so long as their number stay good but I'm just not going to pay for some of these shitty cards.

I agree that some of the PPV cards aren't worth an individual to invest $50 however I don't blame them for doing it. In the end you get 4 of your friends together and get a few pizza's you get a few hours of entertainment and food for $15-$20 each. Or you can go to a sports bar and watch it for a cover charge plus whatever food you buy.

The UFC doesn't force people to watch events alone, UFC like boxing and wrestling is an event that is more suited to having people come together to lessen the individual cost of the event.

Nope, I do blame them. They've ramped it up recently and it bugs me. If you've got a consistent group of friends to defray the costs, that's great, but regardless they should think about putting up a few more free shows. I think this goes back to the network thing, if they got a more major deal they could probably "afford" to do more free shows and not lose any audience.

Peen on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    man
    james toney is kinda dumb isnt he
    He's an interview genius, ain't no one gonna ambush him with weighted questions.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jesus Christ could that dude (Toney) mumble any more? Goddamn.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And a camp relic? I'm pretty sure I don't see any UFC fighters starring in commercials for Gillette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2N_z4gSoRU

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited July 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    And a camp relic? I'm pretty sure I don't see any UFC fighters starring in commercials for Gillette.
    WANDERLEI/COLEMAN SHAVING!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQh_BpFJM4

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2N_z4gSoRU

Oh japan.... you silly silly geese. Amazing!

If toney beats randy.... does randy retire? Bigger upset than <blank> ?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    No, Yahoo is definitely biased. They have a financial interest in the UFC that they don't have in those other leagues.

Do you consider ESPN a legitimate news source?

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm completely with you guys, there's too many PPVs. I know they'll keep doing it so long as their number stay good but I'm just not going to pay for some of these shitty cards.

I agree that some of the PPV cards aren't worth an individual to invest $50 however I don't blame them for doing it. In the end you get 4 of your friends together and get a few pizza's you get a few hours of entertainment and food for $15-$20 each. Or you can go to a sports bar and watch it for a cover charge plus whatever food you buy.

The UFC doesn't force people to watch events alone, UFC like boxing and wrestling is an event that is more suited to having people come together to lessen the individual cost of the event.

Nope, I do blame them. They've ramped it up recently and it bugs me. If you've got a consistent group of friends to defray the costs, that's great, but regardless they should think about putting up a few more free shows. I think this goes back to the network thing, if they got a more major deal they could probably "afford" to do more free shows and not lose any audience.

Oh they should absolutely have 4 free shows a year and 9 pay ones. Make the 4 shows the crappy PPVs that we all bitch about having to pay for, it's win win. Maybe put one or two of them on ESPN and then watch MMA really explode.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
    edited July 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Oh japan.... you silly silly geese. Amazing!
    Japan isn't the only place with silly MMA commercials. They just have the best ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIwOEZJZkbo

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the best part was toney explaining how he didn't want couture, he wanted a REAL mma fighter like kimbo slice
    props to ariel helwani for sitting through that whole thing and being professional about it

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Toney often falls into the "No White Boy Can Beat Me" camp. Bit of a Hopkins mentality really.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    How about comparing Brock and Leben?
    How about not?

I have no idea how you can compare Brock Lesnar and Chris Leben. Beyond them being white men with tattoos who fight in the UFC, there is no comparison. They don't have the same backgrounds. They aren't at the same training camp. They don't fight similarly beyond the strategy of using their heads to tire out their opponent's hands. You might as well be comparing Brock Lesnar to a stalk of broccolli and say "well, they have a high center of gravity, they are delicious when smothered with cheese, and they kinda sound the same".
    How much is Dwayne weighing nowadays, I wonder? He doesn't look much smaller than Brock here. I know back when Brock was still in WWE, there was a noticeable size difference between the two, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
    Brock's smaller now that he's shit an entire barnyard.
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    man
    james toney is kinda dumb isnt he
    He's an interview genius, ain't no one gonna ambush him with weighted questions.
    Weighted as in "do you still beat your wife?"

GungHo on
    edited July 2010
    How much is Dwayne weighing nowadays, I wonder? He doesn't look much smaller than Brock here. I know back when Brock was still in WWE, there was a noticeable size difference between the two, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

I'm pretty sure that picture's just at a weird angle. He and Brock are about the same height but Brock's much thicker.

Peen on
    edited July 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    I have no idea how you can compare Brock Lesnar and Chris Leben.
    We were comparing chins. Try to keep up with the discussion.

edited July 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Toney often falls into the "No White Boy Can Beat Me" camp. Bit of a Hopkins mentality really.

Let me clarify myself. In Toney's mind, white boys can't fight.

Sorry for any confusion.

Capt Howdy on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I think Toney wanted a guy like Kimbo because he felt he could out-box a guy like that and not have to worry about take downs.

Against Couture? Have fun on your back, Toney!

JustinSane07 on
    edited July 2010
    Toney is so far out there, I wouldn't be surprised if he thought Randy would be too easy. He lives on his own special planet.

Capt Howdy on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drunken rednecks love their soap operas. I think that's why WWE is still so much more popular.

I also think that most people just don't understand MMA. Look at Mike and Jerry's comic on it. "Twenty minutes of sweaty dick punching." People that post in this thread understand the ground game and what's going on. To most people it looks pretty homo-erotic, I bet.

I didn't understand it right away either. Took me quite a few events to finally grasp what was going on and what they were doing.

I only started watching MMA events once I started taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and as such I never had to overcome the "how homoerotic" hurdle.

And there are even some pro fighters that have that mindset. Chael Sonnen, for example. I remember that he said something along the lines of, "I don't do BJJ, I'm a Republican" not too long ago and I just facepalmed. I'm thinking, "Chael, you were a wrestler in school. You played grab-ass with guys for years and you somehow think that BJJ is gay?"

I think he's entertaining when he talks most of the time, but sometimes he just says really stupid things.

85% of the shit that comes out of Sonnens mouth when he is infront of a camera/mic is sarcasm or trolling or jokes. Seriously

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Plus no MMA fighter has ever spent as much time with their face in other men's crotches as Chael Sonnen.

815165 on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goose! wrote: »
    Yahoo! wrote:
    1. Brock Lesnar is the world’s best heavyweight: The UFC champion’s detractors have been on his case from the moment he entered the company. First, he was “just a pro wrestler,” despite his pedigree as an NCAA wrestling champion. When he won the title from Randy Couture in just his fourth pro fight, all of the sudden Couture was “too old.” When Lesnar beat Frank Mir and avenged his only loss, all of the sudden Mir was “overrated.” Lesnar’s five pro wins now include two over former UFC champs and a comeback victory for the ages over the sport’s heaviest hitter. Fedor Emelianenko tapped away the No. 1 heavyweight slot last week. Cain Velasquez, Lesnar’s next opponent, is impressive and boasts a solid record, but he does not have Lesnar’s quality of opposition to his credit. So until someone takes the belt off his waist, Lesnar is the world’s undisputed best at 265.

This sums up my thoughts on the matter quite well, actually.
    Yahoo has the most biased articles about the sport of UFC.

We've been over this. Nearly every section is named after the dominant company of that sport. NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. Its the format they use.

Hell, looking at the site, its only called UFC in the nav bar. Every other link on the site says "MMA"

No, Yahoo is definitely biased. They have a financial interest in the UFC that they don't have in those other leagues.

UFC® announces Yahoo! as new distributor for online PPV
    The Ultimate Fighting Championship and Yahoo! announced earlier today that they have come to terms on a deal that will have the popular internet website become the new online distributor for UFC pay-per-view events via Yahoo! Sports.

The first event that Yahoo! Sports will broadcast as part of the new agreement will be UFC 82: Pride of a Champion, which takes place on March 1st at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.
    The two companies began a working relationship in 2007 that had Yahoo! Sports feature exclusive UFC content such as news, photos, interviews, and video content.

Yahoo has about as much chance of being unbiased as Spike.

I don't have a problem with anyone ranking Brock ahead of Fedor, and FWIW the Yahoo rankings are voted on by 20+ writers, and only 3 are from Yahoo.

I am well aware of that relationship. Are we so cynical that we believe writers cannot formulate their own opinions without money being involved anymore?

Goose! on
    edited July 2010
    This is the kind of article that makes me wish for good MMA writing. I'm not saying it's bad exactly but it's just kinda throwing matchups at the wall to see what sticks. The first one especially makes me crazy, does anyone really want to see Cro Cop get starched again?

Peen on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh man

paul heyman with the potshot at mazzagatti

hahahahahaha

Pony on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    facetious wrote: »

Do you consider ESPN a legitimate news source?

Legit as in they present sports-related facts? Yes.

Legit as in their financial interest in leagues they cover doesn't bias their coverage? Heck no.

Example: ESPN coverage of the NBA draft usually consists of them shitting all over the European draftees, as well as the high school players back when they were draft-eligible. They over-praise college players, and by "coincidence" are ESPN has extensive broadcast rights to college basketball. They let Dick Vitale on, who is the #1 Duke/ACC homer in the sport, and their lead analyst is Jay Bilas, who attended Duke.

Heck, back in the UFC-Setanta days MMA fans were lucky if they got a scrolling update underneath ESPNews when a UFC PPV happened. MMA got less coverage than ISKA kickboxing or Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. These days Brock Lesnar is making the Top 10.

And even still, MMA gets a fraction of the coverage boxing does on ESPN in the US. MMA Live has what, an hour every month in the US? Friday Night Fights gets 2-3 hours a week to show for promising but unknown boxing prospects - the equivalent of Deep or King of the Cage in the MMA world. Even though PPV rates in 2009 clearly favored MMA over boxing in the US - which you'd think would lead to more coverage - the major boxing promoters (Golden Boy, Top Rank) have partnerships with ESPN while the UFC in the US is still tied to Spike.

BubbaT on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am well aware of that relationship. Are we so cynical that we believe writers cannot formulate their own opinions without money being involved anymore?

I can think of 4 people who have seriously attacked their own checkwriters:

Jon Stewart
    Conan O'Brien (and only while in the process of being bumped/fired)
    Matt Stone
    Trey Parker

And they're all in comedy.

BubbaT on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Neli wrote: »

85% of the shit that comes out of Sonnens mouth when he is infront of a camera/mic is sarcasm or trolling or jokes. Seriously

I really don't believe that comment was either.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    edited July 2010
    There is a show tonight on Spike called Knockout Sportsworld.

It is goddamn ridiculous. You must watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-1EK2KfIH0

It's like that except it has special effects throughout the show.

edited July 2010
    Sounds like M1 are pushing for a Fedor/Werdum rematch while Scott Coker is more interested in Fedor/Reem.

Would anyone here really rather wait for Werdum to heal up after his upcoming surgery to fight Fedor again when we could have Fedor fighting Overeem (if slightly unjust) in the meantime?

815165 on
    edited July 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Sounds like M1 are pushing for a Fedor/Werdum rematch while Scott Coker is more interested in Fedor/Reem.

Would anyone here really rather wait for Werdum to heal up after his upcoming surgery to fight Fedor again when we could have Fedor fighting Overeem (if slightly unjust) in the meantime?

No. No more title fights for people coming off a loss. Please.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited July 2010
    What's Overeem to do, though? He set aside time to devote to Strikeforce and they're not going to have anyone to fight him while Werdum heals up.

815165 on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, in this case, that might be the only real viable option.

It speaks to the lack of depth in their roster, but what else are they going to do really?

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    edited July 2010
    I just found a MMA game that's superior in every way to UFC's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv6ktnwhAWI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZM0hR-tBvs

• doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why has no one mentioned this game before?

doug_grammar on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, it has stomps, that should make people nostalgic for Pride happy.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm guessing realism is not counted as one of the things its better in?

Goose! on
    edited July 2010
    There is a show tonight on Spike called Knockout Sportsworld.

It is goddamn ridiculous. You must watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-1EK2KfIH0

It's like that except it has special effects throughout the show.

That show was amazingly funny. Between Deadliest Bro-rior and that show it was a great night for Spike TV. THe fact that every shot had some type of neon spaz-out explosion was just the funniest thing ever. They had old fights of Casy Uscola and Wanderlei Silva and the voice over guy was funny as well. Check it out if you missed it I'm sure it will be on another sixty billion times.

Metal Jared on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I watched about 30 seconds of that show on Spike and oh god it's so terrible. It's YouTube with 9th grade special effects.

JustinSane07 on
    edited July 2010
    I watched about 30 seconds of that show on Spike and oh god it's so terrible. It's YouTube with 9th grade special effects.

I agree that it was terrible. However I thought it was terrible hilarious/awesome.

Metal Jared on
    edited July 2010
    Man, July is a slow month for MMA.

Strikeforce Challengers looks like it might be okay, though I've no way to watch it.

Impact FC 1/2 will probably be entertaining, if not significant or relevant. I certainly won't be paying money for it.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited July 2010
    Paul Daley fighting is good news, but after the last few months July is for relaxing in the sun I guess.

815165 on