As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk? Anybody? Bueller?

SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
For some reason I've got a reeeeeal bad hard-on for Shadowrun (the good bits, anyway, fuck that magic shit) and I really need something to give me a fix. Problem is, it seems like Cyberpunk's quite possibly the least-represented of any kind of game sub-genre whatsoever: you've got Deus Ex, you've got the old-school Shadowrun for the Genesis (and maybe the one for the SNES depending on whom you ask) you've got Uplink and perhaps Singularity (though that's more post-Cyberpunk) you've got a whole buncha' adventure games and interactive fiction games from the late 80s/early 90s, you've got a few Source multiplayer mods, and...that's it. And that's not enough to sate my thirst. Are there any kind of under-the-radar titles, freeware stuff, that sort of thing?

STUFF I'VE ALREADY PLAYED:
Deus Ex (good for one runthrough, but it hasn't aged well, at all)
Genesis Shadowrun
Singularity
Anarchy Online (which is CP and PCP and a nice breath of fresh air, though the amount of twinking and shit that was going on eventually drove me away)
Uplink (well, an ABOUT to, anyway, just bought it off Steam)
Syndicate (though I don't even know if I could get the sucker to RUN at this point, much less how well or badly its mechanics have aged)
System Shock 2

STUFF I DON'T CARE FOR
Interactive Fiction
P&C Adventure Games
Dystopia & NeoTokyo (more due to the kind of riff-raff you probably run into with these kinds of games than the games themselves, unfortunetily)

Sorenson on

• Goldhawk00Goldhawk00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm not sure how well it fits the genre, but it probably won't hurt to look up the original .hack// games. Some of it's story elements remind me of Neuromancer. Admittedly, the game's not much to look at and the gameplay is pretty rough, but it's worth a looksee if only for the story: The main character is invited to play an MMO by his friend. On their first day, his friend gets attacked by a monster and put into a coma in real life, so the main character goes back into the game to figure out why and what he can do about it.
    There's a sequel of sorts called .hack//G.U. but while being much better looking and with much smoother gameplay I wasn't nearly as impressed with the story which came off as more typical 'anime-esque' stuff.

Goldhawk00 on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does Digital Devil Saga count?

Xagarath on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Christ alive whatever you do do NOT play .Hack

It is one of the shittier games made for the PS2. The entire premise is a thin justification to wring as much money as possible from you, forcing you to buy four games for an amount of plot that could easily be crammed into one. Furthermore, the gameplay is...

You're playing as a person playing an MMO. You are playing an MMO, except without the MM. Or the O, actually. What this means is you are grinding in the most generic, tedious, randomly generated environments imaginable. Why would anyone subject themselves to this? Why in the fuck?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was just coming in here to recommend NeoTokyo, but since you've already scratched that off the list...

I'm not sure whether it counts quite as "cyberpunk", but Frozen Synapse is an awesome turn based strategy game with a cyberpunk-ish visual style. Currently in beta for pre-orders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQQt4qc79Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXbsSLeINhg

Basically consider it as if it were a computer's eye-view of a tactical plan. Each turn is 5 seconds of time. You issue orders to your units and virtually test how they play out. You iterate your plans and simulate enemy courses of action until you're satisfied you've got something that works, then you hit "Prime". Assuming your opponent has completed their move as well, both turns play out simultaneously and you get to see the results of your course of action.

There's often a fair amount of "wheels within wheels" strategy where you're effectively trying to plot out what your enemy's most likely course of action is, and counteract it. Assuming he hasn't already planned ahead and considered your counter-plan and decided on a course of action that's a counter-counter plan...

It varies depending on the situation. But there's a fair amount of depth to it for such a simple game.

subedii on
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got uplink in the steam sale. For how simple it all looks and plays, its very fun.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Regardless of tedious gameplay, how is anything .hack even remotely cyberpunk? Cyberanime, sure, cyberpunk? Even the cyber stuff is just a means to have magical fantasy crap without the game actually being about magical fantasy crap.

I'm really stumped for this OP, though. Cyberpunk just doesn't seem to get any love compared to some other genres. Deus Ex 3 is due at some point (next year) and Subversion looks pretty neat (made by the same guys who made Uplink and is also not due out anytime soon).

You could give Darwinia a spin, but that's very much just "cyber" and not really any "punk". Still, it does feature something of a post-apocalyptic world, lots of tech stuff, and really sweet, atmospheric visuals. Again, made by Introversion, the same guys who made Uplink.

Thanks for reminding me how empty the genre is. Thank you so much.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »

Soul Hackers or SMT1, more likely. Especially Soul Hackers.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Goldhawk00Goldhawk00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Christ alive whatever you do do NOT play .Hack

It is one of the shittier games made for the PS2. The entire premise is a thin justification to wring as much money as possible from you, forcing you to buy four games for an amount of plot that could easily be crammed into one. Furthermore, the gameplay is...

You're playing as a person playing an MMO. You are playing an MMO, except without the MM. Or the O, actually. What this means is you are grinding in the most generic, tedious, randomly generated environments imaginable. Why would anyone subject themselves to this? Why in the fuck?

I can't exactly argue with you there, on either point. Though it's the only thing I know of off hand as far as cyber-punk games go and I found the story itself to be alright.
    It's cheap enough now that's it not too bad to get into, but on further thought you're probably right that it's still not worth the effort unless your really, really, really, interested.

Goldhawk00 on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There isn't alot of truly Cyberpunk based games out there. Neotokyo and Dystopia are okay, but each have there problems (Dystopia has poor weaponry, questionnable balancing choices and gets rather dull rather quickly. Neotokyo is effectively dead because the creators of it "don't like Steam" or some moronic nonsense). Deus Ex 3 will fill the void I imagine when it comes out, but you'll have to wait til then.

WMain00 on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Regardless of tedious gameplay, how is anything .hack even remotely cyberpunk? Cyberanime, sure, cyberpunk? Even the cyber stuff is just a means to have magical fantasy crap without the game actually being about magical fantasy crap.

I'm really stumped for this OP, though. Cyberpunk just doesn't seem to get any love compared to some other genres. Deus Ex 3 is due at some point (next year) and Subversion looks pretty neat (made by the same guys who made Uplink and is also not due out anytime soon).

You could give Darwinia a spin, but that's very much just "cyber" and not really any "punk". Still, it does feature something of a post-apocalyptic world, lots of tech stuff, and really sweet, atmospheric visuals. Again, made by Introversion, the same guys who made Uplink.

Thanks for reminding me how empty the genre is. Thank you so much.

In fairness, what we've seen of upcoming Deus Ex 3 looks awesomely cyberpunk. None of that wishy-washy "sort of future-tech but not really punk" sci-fi, but visually and thematically right in there with Blade Runner and Neuromancer.

I've been craving cyberpunk more and more lately as well, it's such a neglected genre.

subedii on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    A lot of SMT does in one way or another. Bonus points for making the fantasy stuff distinctive and styleish as fuck, huuuuuge negative points for me for it being a timesink JRPG, though.

Sorenson on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    would i be wrong to suggest oni? it's a decent PS2 game, and though it's clearly more of a 'anime' feel thanks to ghost in the shell, it's still fun and has the setting you're looking for.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UJ8KjdfmbU&feature=related

Local H Jay on
  • myownsummermyownsummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Speaking of Ghost In The Shell, can anyone recommend the anime over the manga (or vice versa)? Need to know where to begin with this one.

myownsummer on
    rosievp6.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Speaking of Ghost In The Shell, can anyone recommend the anime over the manga (or vice versa)? Need to know where to begin with this one.

Start with the first season of the series, Stand Alone Complex.

Renzo on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    would i be wrong to suggest oni? it's a decent PS2 game, and though it's clearly more of a 'anime' feel thanks to ghost in the shell, it's still fun and has the setting you're looking for.
    You'd be wrong, in that you didn't suggest the rather better PC version.

Xagarath on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Shadowrun (the good bits, anyway, fuck that magic shit)

o_O

INeedNoSalt on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Note to self, make a good cyberpunk RPG.

RainbowDespair on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You're a terrible person for saying Deus Ex hasn't aged well, and that might mean you won't like any of my suggestions because they're all more than a couple of years old, but...

Project: Snowblind
    Deus Ex: Invisible War
    Blade Runner (it's a point and click adventure game, which I know you said you don't like, but it's not a "combine the items" or "click on the right thing" sort of game; it's actually incredibly easy but it's a FANTASTIC game with its own awesome story with different endings [and middles])
    I've never played Flashback but apparently it's cyberpunk (if you can find it)

TychoCelchuuu on
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

o_O

Magic in cyberpunk is stupid.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    Actually now that I think about it there was a Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex PS2 game as well. It was relatively decent. Got 7/10 in most places.

WMain00 on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Renzo wrote: »

Start with the first season of the series, Stand Alone Complex.

Or start with the manga. They're both quite different, and reading one before the other won't confuse you. Just remember they were produced about 15 years apart.

Avoid the other "sequels" to the manga, though. They're not very good.

Oni is somewhat less horrible, control and loading wise, on PC, but hasn't aged well (it's worse on the PS2 in this regard).

If you're looking for something else in the post-Cyberpunk vein, consider the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex PS2 game. The controls are a little complex (the game uses every function on the PS2 controller), but it's very true to the source material (and even has good voice acting), and the setting is quite cyberpunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM1c06svY4U

Synthesis on
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Note to self, make a good cyberpunk RPG.

I dream of Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs series of books as the setting for a great cyberpunk game. The technology level in the books and the ability to actually switch bodies (sleeves) with better or different ones makes me think an RPG-style like Deus Ex might work. Add in that you could even change a game-over into a re-sleeving and well... I wish I had millions of dollars to sink into a game company to make that!

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Faffel wrote: »

o_O

It's also the most bland and generic-assed aspects of the game. I can buy shit like dwarves and elves and trolls and orcs and ghouls and vampires and that sort of shit because all the fantasy connections are just social constructs and what-have-you, but then you start getting into dudes chucking spells and worshipping animals and all this astral bullshit and blaaaaargh.

EDIT: On the subject of Cyberpunk game wishings, I would looooove to see something that's essentiall a mashup of GTA and Prototype. Being able to augment yourself to the point where you can start doing crazy shit that's splatter an ordinary dude, combined with all the different criminal-and-otherwise opprotunities to earn scratch and rep, oh yeah.

Sorenson on
    edited June 2010
    I beat you Synthesis, but you gave more detail :P

EDIT: It should be noted the GITS game use the same voice actors from the series. So it's excellent voice acting.

WMain00 on
    edited June 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    I beat you Synthesis, but you gave more detail :P

Curse you, WMain! Curse yoooou!

Synthesis on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I remember when i first got it new that final fantasy 7 was referred to as cyberpunk sometimes. Some parts i'd say that fits but in others it's a bit of a stretch. Hell, it might just be limited to the opening city that's really fitting to the genre

initiatefailure on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

o_O

The concept of Shadowrun is literally: What if you took cyberpunk and added magic to it.

Shadowrun without magic is a ham-and-cheese sandwich, minus the cheese. Just have a ham sandwich.

And Shadowrun has one of the neatest magic systems I've ever seen in RPGs. I'm not sure how much of that comes out in the video games, but the background on it is pretty fantastic and manages to play very nicely with major themes of cyberpunk by creating a dangerous and potentially powerful subset of the common rabble for corporations to oppress and fields of diabolical corporate research into things best-not-investigated.

piL on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

o_O

Then it's not Shadowrun that is being craved!

INeedNoSalt on
    edited June 2010
    I remember when i first got it new that final fantasy 7 was referred to as cyberpunk sometimes. Some parts i'd say that fits but in others it's a bit of a stretch. Hell, it might just be limited to the opening city that's really fitting to the genre

Midgar as a city has some pretty strong cyberpunk influences--but at the same time, FFVII is supposed to be set in a sort of early information-age society that has been racked by decades of industrial-age war. Most of the world isn't advanced enough to be cypberpunk.

The Shinra Corporation is very cyberpunk in many regards--it's where all the technology is, and it controls the means of production and the legal/police institutions of the state.

Synthesis on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh, and the totem nature of magic is significant in that it plays with the concepts of mysticism, which helps create another point of opposition between the street vs corporate. Also, totems are pretty cool, and conceptually make more sense than any DnD Cleric/Druid etc I've pretty much ever seen.

piL on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I actually kind of liked Path of Neo

Maybe you will too

joshofalltrades on
  • smokealbertsmokealbert Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know about cyberpunk games, but read Neuromancer by William Gibson

You will not regret it

smokealbert on
    Xbox GT: Smokealbert
  • corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There's the original System Shock (Which got a mouselook mod maybe a year ago?). Also, have a bigass list of games.

corky842 on
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    NeoKobe.jpg
    downtown.png

SNATCHER is cool. But be prepared to pay A LOT to have the privilege to play it.

And look at that direct Syd Mead ripoff right there. Dayumn. Still awesome game.

donhonk on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, it definitely seems like Deus Ex 3 is the only game coming that'll scratch your itch

If you've played Dystopia and Neotokyo and Deus Ex 1, well, that about covers all the bases on the PC

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • ZenchessZenchess Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Decker is a cyberpunk roguelike that is pretty neat. You take contracts to hack into corporations, get past the system's ICE, and steal/modify/erase files, etc. You can then pay for upgrades to your 'deck' and go for more and more difficult missions. Can be difficult.

Zenchess on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just came in to say that I wish Bullfrog was still making games.

For fuck sake.

That said, I will be following this thread. I need a cyber punk game myself I think.

Endomatic on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If i were you, I'd keep a close eye on deus ex 3. It's supposed to be some kind of crazy mishmash of deus ex, blade runner, and ghost in the shell.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Red TrousersRed Trousers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For what its worth a GPLed reimplementation of Syndicate can be found here

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freesynd/

Red Trousers on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Syndicate is on the EA Replay compilation that got released for the PSP if you are interested in a mobile version (I believe the version there is the Genesis version as opposed to the PC version though). Also, Syndicate Wars got released on the European PSN network if you have the means to play games from there.

The Burnin8or on