As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Estiah], Or how to play a mmorpg at work

• gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey so, should I take a job or not? I hear the min-max take on it is it's way better to get your stat increases from skill ranks, rather than using a job. However, it seems like that'd take exponentially more time/AP.

So, what do most people do? I don't need to be the twinkiest guy around, but I don't want to suck, either. Let's say I'm aiming for, say, the top 20% of players. Job or no job?

The more I read, the more this game is looking like a grindfest... hm.

gilrain on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    gilrain wrote: »
    Hey so, should I take a job or not? I hear the min-max take on it is it's way better to get your stat increases from skill ranks, rather than using a job. However, it seems like that'd take exponentially more time/AP.

So, what do most people do? I don't need to be the twinkiest guy around, but I don't want to suck, either. Let's say I'm aiming for, say, the top 20% of players. Job or no job?

No job.

It's a grindfest, but it's a WoW-style grindfest: there are usually a half-dozen different goals you can be grinding towards.

admanb on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    gilrain wrote: »

It's an MMO, but it is designed to be played in short bursts of time. Takes planning to get the most out of it (I've spent the last week or so wandering around collecting items for a set of charms, spending all my spare AP in the arena for money, and using the travel jobs so I could farm both of the treasure locations I needed each day.)

I avoided doing too many jobs (other than travel) when I was leveling up - it worked well for me. I'm level 46 now, and still have almost 200 points worth of easy stat growth from jobs available to me (at 714/900). On the other hand, once you max out your stat growth, you can work jobs daily to build up the evolution skills, which I don't have very many levels in. Recent patches have included charms that require those skills, and I'm also still missing out on the HP gain from things like discipline and First Aid, since they are tied to jobs that boost my dump stat (constitution).

More important than the job or not question is just leveling up slowly enough to give yourself time to gather full sets of the best charms for your deck. Watch the coliseum, see what the winners are using, and collect those charms. If you work jobs every day, you can easily level up more quickly than you can craft/farm the needed charms.

In the 20s, scouts can be hard to beat in the coliseum - spirit isn't very strong yet (and scouts also get a solid spirit charm in Hastened Head Hit), and their banes are just better than the armor destruction of fighters or the defense of recruits. Since I was a Scout/Shaman/Inquisitor for my main, I had a pretty easy time maxing out coliseum master in the 20s, 30s, and early 40s without having to be completely twinked out.

Darian on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    All right, thanks guys.

gilrain on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wish i knew jobs were not the best way to skill up :?

i'm happy in the sense i'll be able to hit recruit right at 20 but i have definitely been doing the jobs every day, i don't understand why its bad though since it doesn't eat up any ap, are you limited on the total amount of points you can have?

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • FreyajackFreyajack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

i'm happy in the sense i'll be able to hit recruit right at 20 but i have definitely been doing the jobs every day, i don't understand why its bad though since it doesn't eat up any ap, are you limited on the total amount of points you can have?

There is a limit of 900 stat points from jobs and normal food (see wiki). I wouldn't worry too much about it though, I've been repeatedly told it is hard to screw up your character pre-T1.

The main reason not to job like crazy is you don't want to end up underpowered (missing charms, low hp) relative to the dungeons and players at your level. If you are, it will be hard to win colis and get skills like Courage and Heroism.

On an unrelated note - don't forget to build via Guild->View Buildings.

Freyajack on
    edited May 2010
    Freyajack wrote: »

There is a limit of 900 stat points from jobs and normal food (see wiki). I wouldn't worry too much about it though, I've been repeatedly told it is hard to screw up your character pre-T1.

The main reason not to job like crazy is you don't want to end up underpowered (missing charms, low hp) relative to the dungeons and players at your level. If you are, it will be hard to win colis and get skills like Courage and Heroism.

On an unrelated note - don't forget to build via Guild->View Buildings.

This; not working too many jobs let you level more slowly, collect more charms from the dungeons. You can also just work travel jobs continuously, letting you run more dungeons each day (since you can be in three different cities daily).

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    We just accepted another PA'er into the PA guild (Free Waffles), and have room for one more. If anyone is lurking and playing Estiah, please join us! And if you are not playing Estiah, you should give it a try - you're missing out. :)

Freyajack on
  • ForxForx Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    New guildy here, just thought I'd drop by and say hi.
    I'm still pretty new to Estiah in general, my main strategy has been "throw more twin blades/lightning at it" up to this point, and I'm about ready to delve into the game some more.

Forx on
  • ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd love to join the guild.

ronrab on
    edited June 2010
    ronrab wrote: »
    I'd love to join the guild.

Hi Ronrab - it looks like you are currently level 3 (assuming your in game name is Ronrab). Typically we don't put people in the guild until they are at least in their late teens, ideally their 20s. So I'd say keep playing Estiah, and if you're still around in a while we'll get you in. :)

One unsolicited word of advice - try your hand at coliseums once you hit 15. They are a good way to get a taste of competitive PvP and give you an idea of what kind of gear you will need to be successful in guild vs. guild battles.

Also, if you don't have a mentor yet, pick me or one of the other PAers as your mentor - it gives us a very tiny boost when you level up and is much appreciated.

Freyajack on
    edited June 2010
    i am lvl 18 and looking for apprentices so if you want some help i'll be available. I'm also posting up my link for anyone else that would like a mentor

TheKoolEagle's Apprentice Link

i also am regularily on once or twice a day so i can answer any questions you may have

TheKoolEagle on
    edited June 2010
    Hi Ronrab - it looks like you are currently level 3 (assuming your in game name is Ronrab). Typically we don't put people in the guild until they are at least in their late teens, ideally their 20s. So I'd say keep playing Estiah, and if you're still around in a while we'll get you in. :)

:^:
    Also, if you don't have a mentor yet, pick me or one of the other PAers as your mentor - it gives us a very tiny boost when you level up and is much appreciated.

Can you only do this by creating an alt? When I try to do this from my current character's page, I always get 'cannot add mentor - character not found.'

ronrab on
    edited June 2010
    ronrab wrote: »

:^:

Can you only do this by creating an alt? When I try to do this from my current character's page, I always get 'cannot add mentor - character not found.'

you should be able to go to your character page and enter someones name to add as a mentor, I believe freyajack has the same name in game

TheKoolEagle on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you haven't chosen a mentor and are still below... 5 I think, you can assign the mentor as long as you type the name correctly. Freyajack should be possible to enter there. Or Thekooleagle. (Or Digitalwolfe for anyone reading this later, but don't pick me Ronrab, because these fine gents have already claimed you. :P)

A few basic pieces of advice: Don't work the jobs that give you the most stats every time. Sometimes you want to slow your level growth beyond the maximum speed you can reach in order to spend more time harvesting equipment from dungeons. You also want to make sure that you're leveling any skill that gives you hit points or spirit as quickly as you can. If you can be the lowest level possible while still having completed all the HP/Spirit skills and having a huge compliment of dungeon-farmed gear you will be a beast in pvp, which will help you get even better gear.

Edit: Man, leveling bounty hunter is a real pain in the butt.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I'm level 4 right now, but I guess I don't understand what it is I should be doing? Some people say not to work jobs and just work skills, seems super slow though?

Mugaaz on
    edited June 2010
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    So I'm level 4 right now, but I guess I don't understand what it is I should be doing? Some people say not to work jobs and just work skills, seems super slow though?

This is definitely a slow burn sort of game. Some of the veterans in our guild have been playing for 700+ days, and I'm sure they still have a long list of things left to do in the game (the new contest if nothing else). Enjoy the journey, don't worry about the destination. :)

In terms of the specific benefits of taking it slow, Darkewolfe's post is a perfect explanation.

Freyajack on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I don't completely follow my advice. Especially before level 10 it doesn't matter so much what you do. By the time you hit level 15, though, you want to me one of the characters who has the most HP and spirit for their level, so you can be competitive in pvp.

On the other hand, if that seems boring to you feel free to just work the biggest job possible and level up as fast as you can. Anyone you mentor yourself to will be happy, and as long as you're enjoying yourself... It's just that if you let the HP/Spirit skills and your gear sets fall behind, if you finally do decide to do PvP (which is a primary goal of the mid and endgame) you'll have a lot of catching up to do to compete.

Darkewolfe on
    edited June 2010
    unfortunately i spent about 15 levels doing jobs so i rushed myself up a bit, but since then i have been taking it slowly and i'm a fairly good pvper, i generally take on people lv 20-21 with a rating around 1750, but i can't help and to think if i levelled up those hard to get skills when i was lower level i would be more competitive

TheKoolEagle on
  • MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone want to write a guide on what I should be doing for levels 5-15?

Mugaaz on
    edited June 2010

protip - travelling jobs that only give you money give you a skill in horse riding, and a free travel option, so you can potentially move between 3 towns every day.

I would recommend spending time doing gathering and dungeons in your level area, and try to keep a good spread on your deck, try to level up all weapon and kata types

TheKoolEagle on
    edited June 2010

So, depending on where you fall on the happy-go-lucky vs. min-maxer spectrum, you can feel free to ignore large parts of what follows. :)

If you want to be "good" for your level, I would work on your hp skills and your spirit skills. Then look at the dungeons available to you and run each of them a few times, more if you see a charm you particularly like. In particular, many of the early dungeons are designed to teach you about specific aspects of the game, so it is worth doing them.

Finally, I would look at some coliseum replays to see what kind of gear setups are dominant in the current PvP metagame for your level. Find a strategy you like, notice what charms get used, and then use the wiki to figure out where you can find those charms.

Freyajack on
  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I'm just starting out in this, char name is Moora. I'm pretty low level atm and just getting the hang of how it plays. I'll keep checking in as I'm going along, maybe I'll get him high enough to get into the guild :).

RedDawn on
    edited June 2010
    RedDawn wrote: »
    So I'm just starting out in this, char name is Moora. I'm pretty low level atm and just getting the hang of how it plays. I'll keep checking in as I'm going along, maybe I'll get him high enough to get into the guild :).

Have you picked a mentor yet? If not, Darian is hiring!

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    woo i hit lv 20 and got recruit! now i need to be even more careful not to fuck up my character D:

TheKoolEagle on
    edited June 2010
    I need more recruits to beat up for soul stuff.

Hang out within punching range. :P

Darkewolfe on
    edited June 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I need more recruits to beat up for soul stuff.

There are 2 23's and 5 24's in Night Tear.

Freyajack on
    edited July 2010
    Darian - just in case you are reading this thread but not logging in to Estiah - I put you in a squad with Rauny and Maeglin/Webber so you can try out your banes idea. Hopefully you get this before our siege attempt tonight. :)

And for everyone else, the Waffles are still recruiting!

Freyajack on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, haven't been logging into Estiah on vacation. Not sure if Maeglin and Webber have the charms for it, but I'll see what we can throw together.

Darian on
  • ZombieSheepZombieSheep Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    does level 25 to 35ish feels like a waste land to anybody else. checking the wiki all the charm I wanted seems to hang out around 37 to 41ish or just below 20 which makes it too weak to use at my level.

ZombieSheep on
  • YannYann Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just logged in on Ctuchik again, havn't played in at least a year, probably more. Whats been happening? =P

Yann on
    edited July 2010
    does level 25 to 35ish feels like a waste land to anybody else. checking the wiki all the charm I wanted seems to hang out around 37 to 41ish or just below 20 which makes it too weak to use at my level.

Yeah - I started working jobs for the first time in ages when I hit 27 - there's just a dearth of dungeons in that level range. If nothing else, I think a full set of the Renegade charms from The Summoning Altar will be useful for a long time. Make sure you grab the various extra action charms too.
    Yann wrote: »
    I just logged in on Ctuchik again, havn't played in at least a year, probably more. Whats been happening? =P

The few remaining original waffles are hard at work on the latest questline. It sounds very involved, and has already been going for about 3 weeks. So far Srdja and Einar claimed a couple of the first milestones, and I think Torq is probably not too far behind.

Beyond that, we've had a wave of recruiting to refill the waffle ranks. We've got a ton of new players in their 20s (myself included), and everyone seems competent at PvP so I'm hoping once everyone hits the 40s we will return to our former glory as the #1 guild in Estiah. :)

Freyajack on
    edited July 2010
    I'm still plugging away daily, but I'm still only level 7 as I'm trying not to do too many jobs.

ronrab on
    edited July 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Yeah, haven't been logging into Estiah on vacation. Not sure if Maeglin and Webber have the charms for it, but I'll see what we can throw together.

No worries - enjoy your vacation! I noticed Ender is using pretty much all magic banes, so I'll stick him in your squad.

Freyajack on
    edited July 2010
    Darian wrote: »

How much longer will you be away? Are you one of those crazy Europeans with two months of vacation? :)

I ask because I'm trying to figure out if I should disband your (at-the-moment-not) banes squad until your return.

Freyajack on
    edited July 2010
    24 out of the 28 employees at my company are european and it seems like every other week one of them is taking at least a week vacation, i am so jealous D:

TheKoolEagle on
    edited October 2010
    Mini necro-bump. For those not actively checking the front page news there is a cool new contest that is sort of like a sealed deck tournament from Magic the Gathering. The 3v3 portion of it starts this weekend.

Freyajack on
    edited December 2010
    Another mini-bump. Three new dungeons are up, and the fights change depending on your level, which is a nice twist (more than just numerical scaling, they actually change qualitatively).

Free Waffles made it back into the top 10 guilds by rating. Come and join us!

Freyajack on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Another mini-bump. Three new dungeons are up, and the fights change depending on your level, which is a nice twist (more than just numerical scaling, they actually change qualitatively).

Free Waffles made it back into the top 10 guilds by rating. Come and join us!

There was a time when only the developers could beat us. Oh, the old days.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • YannYann Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I had the only epic charm in the game for a while. 8-)

When we broke the game with constant buffs and killed that dragon boss.

This game rocked back then, I thought the developers would have released something new by now.

Yann on