As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Landing this job

zktzkt Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Wednesday I replied to a Craigslist ad for an IT support tech. Friday I got an email from HR to schedule a 10-15 min phone conversation. Since my previous phone interviews with HR people have been about 2 minutes Im assuming they're going to ask me some technical questions, which I am confident I should have no trouble with. What I am slightly cautious about is I don't have any professional experience, but through friends of friends and family help people with their PCs, like Im sure many people on this board may do. I know I can do all of the things they want in the job description, but how can I set myself apart from other people they may be interviewing who may have professional experience? Could the fact they asked for either 3 years work experience OR a 4 year technical degree + 1 year experience mean they are looking for someone relatively new to the field?

zkt on

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If they offered you an interview it means they are satisfied with your qualifications on paper. So make sure they know you have plenty of informal experience doing what they want.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If they offered you an interview it means they are satisfied with your qualifications on paper. So make sure they know you have plenty of informal experience doing what they want.

Pretty much this.

If you're at the interview stage, it means you're qualified. The next step is making yourself the most appealing candidate. If you don't have the credentials on paper, just demonstrate your knowledge and abilities. In a 10-15 minute phone interview, it will probably be a situation where they pose a problem and ask how you would solve it.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    did the phone interview with someone from HR, was asked some general questions like what are my favorite and least favorite PC maintenance tasks. Was told next week is when i should hear about an on site interview so heres hoping.

Also are HR people not allowed to say how their day is going, or are they all miserable? Each time Ive spoken with one they say "Hello how are you", I reply with "Pretty good, you?" and they just continue like I didnt ask how they were..

zkt on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    zkt wrote: »
    did the phone interview with someone from HR, was asked some general questions like what are my favorite and least favorite PC maintenance tasks. Was told next week is when i should hear about an on site interview so heres hoping.

Also are HR people not allowed to say how their day is going, or are they all miserable? Each time Ive spoken with one they say "Hello how are you", I reply with "Pretty good, you?" and they just continue like I didnt ask how they were..

More likely they just have a lot of people to talk to. I work at a job where I have to answer the phone and I usually ignore small talk questions like that as well.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ...but I wasn't the one who initiated the small talk question.

zkt on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They weren't really interested, it was just an opening piece of conversation so they don't seem like they are immediately getting to business.

Tejs on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's a cultural thing.

Some places, you make the mistake of asking "How are you?" when you don't really want to know and you're stuck getting a life story. In other places, "How are you?" and "Hello" are interchangeable, and it doesn't require anything more than a call-and-response of the phrase.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    zkt wrote: »
    ...but I wasn't the one who initiated the small talk question.

Don't worry, I learned quick when ran what was essentially a call-center that that little question can throw off everything you're trying to accomplish quickly. It's simply a formality followed by staying on topic.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Phone tip! Smile when you talk, it shows in your voice.

MagicToaster on