As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

First Year PAX

• heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I *highly* suggest buying tickets prior to August.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    takoayako wrote: »
    If I am able to make plans to attend PAX -- this would be my first year.

Hi!

My friends and I have been thinking about going to PAX -- we're pretty much accepted the fact that we are attending. But it being about 2 1/2 months away, it is still too early for us to make plans since we all work and attend school. What I'm nervous about is that we wait too long and tickets will be sold out. When is the last possible "safe-ticket-purchasing" time? I'm thinking we'll be safe if we buy our tickets by early August. But, I'm just so nervous waiting that long for them to make up their mind!

Isn't early the best time to start making plans? Notify teachers and professors you will be out of town that weekend, and if there's anything you can do to stay on top of the work. Start requesting days off work so that it's down and scheduled. You really want to get your travel plans and accommodations sorted early, while they are a) somewhat cheaper and more importantly b) still available at all.

freakish light on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    First PAX this year, but not the first one I planned to go to. I even bought a ticket last year, but every previous year, I have been hampered by loss of job or other revenue-shattering issues. This year I'm MOVING the month before, but have a wonderful job and can thus still afford PAX.

So.

Enthused.

'scuse me while I go haunt the hotels thread.

Imperfect on
  • BlackWolfBuddhaBlackWolfBuddha Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    First year at PAX. I will be going with a PAX vet should be awesome fun.

BlackWolfBuddha on
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hoy all.

This'll be my first PAX Prime (I attended East this year). Technically a solo trip, but I have a few friends I'll likely link up with in Seattle.

So, for those who have attended both, how different are the two?

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • JolieBlancJolieBlanc Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    I've been to both, and I have to say I think I prefer the atmosphere in Prime a little better -- it's definitely _bigger_ which is awesome. East's showfloor was kind of sparse compared to Prime, though that may change the next time they do it.

Definitely bring the hand sanitizer, and use it frequently; bring something fun to do in lines, and talk to your neighbors; and -listen-. I didn't get the "Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaason" joke from East until I got home and heard my husband playing Heavy Rain, and it twigged. :D Anyway. It's a fantastic convention. This'll be my 4th and I'm super excited already. Long live PAX!

JolieBlanc on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well I have all my ducks in a row as it were, and will be enjoying the full PAX experience on my first trip out. Now that I've got everything setup I'm legitimately excited! See you guys in Seattle!

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Update!

I got ahold of my sister this weekend to find out that she has officially moved to Seattle! My boyfriend and I are going to stay at her house (which is about 20 blocks away from the convention center). After I pay rent this month we are going to get our plane tickets. I wanted to book the plane tickets and hotel at the same time to get a deal but since we don't need a hotel now that deal is out the window.

I also emailed our band director (our college has a football game that weekend and we can lose our grade by not going to the game to play in the halftime) to try to convince him to let us go to PAX without punishment to our grades. We will see how he takes it and if he accepts our absence. If he asks why we are missing (I highly doubt he will accept a convention as an excuse).....my sister might be having an impromtu wedding that weekend >.<

I have also updated my costume progression if anyone is interested at
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=15493838&posted=1#post15493838

Hope to see everyone there!

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • casper702casper702 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is going to be my first year going to pax.
    I've always wanted to go and it never will worked out. For once it is going to I just found out I'm being stationed at fort lewis which is less then an hour away

casper702 on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This may as well be my first year. Last year I did as much as I could but had a travel companion that was a little slower and not that enthused about games.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • TwoDollarCutsTwoDollarCuts Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Is PAX worth going to for only Saturday and half of Sunday? I am going to start the school year (working) the last week of August and I probably won't be able to take the 3rd of September off in order to come in on Thursday. If anything, I'd fly in around 6 on Friday and head straight to my hotel. Maybe go to the convention center if I had time. Is one and (maybe) a half day worth it? Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TwoDollarCuts on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This may as well be my first year. Last year I did as much as I could but had a travel companion that was a little slower and not that enthused about games.
    Tell your partner that it is like eating as a chip, try one of everything and get alot of swag on the way. So you may die too many times to count.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    Is PAX worth going to for only Saturday and half of Sunday? I am going to start the school year (working) the last week of August and I probably won't be able to take the 3rd of September off in order to come in on Thursday. If anything, I'd fly in around 6 on Friday and head straight to my hotel. Maybe go to the convention center if I had time. Is one and (maybe) a half day worth it? Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    As soon as you can start, get there. There is so much to do and get. I have a group of 11 last year and it took all weekend just to get through all o the floor exhibits plus some panels. There are concerts on Friday and Saturday (starting a 7pm to 2am), completely awesome. As soon as possible!

hml151 on
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarkCascadeDarkCascade Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Hi everyone!

I registered specifically to throw my hat in this ring here. I'm looking at attending my first PAX ever.

One question (that I don't think has been answered yet): What would a relatively good guess be for the average age of the expo-goers? I'm guessing I'm just a teensy bit older than the average, but I could be wrong.

DarkCascade on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The average age is actually a bit older than would be expected. There's plenty of people of all ages, of course, but there's a lot less under-16s running around than say, at an anime convention. I'd guess 18-24 is a pretty big majority, but there's plenty of 30,40, and 50+ as well.

Heleor on
  • DarkCascadeDarkCascade Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    That was one fast reply.

That demographic seems about right -- I should fit right in! I was mostly trying to get a sense of who was gonna stick around for the 7p-2a concerts and such. Given that information, I suspect these events will be packed.

DarkCascade on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    I think 26-29 is about average age for attendees. I would run a poll, but forumers only account for about 1% of the PAX population, so I don't think it would be a good sampling.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hi everyone!

I registered specifically to throw my hat in this ring here. I'm looking at attending my first PAX ever.

One question (that I don't think has been answered yet): What would a relatively good guess be for the average age of the expo-goers? I'm guessing I'm just a teensy bit older than the average, but I could be wrong.

My group of six is aged: 30, 34, 40, 40, 43, and 45. We are typically at PAX from 10AM (when the doors open) until 3AM when they kick us out, and then we go back and play more games in our hotel rooms. Simply put we are just as "hardcore" gamers as some of the younger set, we just have more grey hairs (and more disposable income).

Stupid on

26904.png
    edited June 2010
    Sayyyy...

I'm heading up solo, but would love to participate in/contribute to some after-parties. I've secured me a spot at the Sheraton (most attendees will be there), but my room is a pretty strict no-party zone.

Do I need to do anything other than be awesome, polite, and show up with alcohol?

Imperfect on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I think 26-29 is about average age for attendees. I would run a poll, but forumers only account for about 1% of the PAX population, so I don't think it would be a good sampling.

Yay I'm getting ever closer to the average age.

parabola on
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to be, like, 1 year over the max of the average age.

I'm OLD.

Imperfect on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    30 is the new 20

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited July 2010
    Manboys forever!

Imperfect on
  • RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I will be 41 when I attend my third PAX and I must say that this is the gathering of gamers that I have been looking for my whole life...and having my kids along with me makes it even better. A family that games together has a lot of fun!!!

Rayman on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    34 here... can't wait till my kids are old enough for stuff like this. Until then it's a Dad-cation.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm a disabled combat vet and I have difficulty standing for extended periods of time. I'd like to get a medical pass. I'm not visibly disabled, what forms or notes or whatever should I bring to make sure I can get the pass?

NeuralLink on
  • KadajirothKadajiroth Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    This will be my first PAX and I'm coming from Perth, Western Australia. I have my tickets, hotel and flights booked. Really looking forward to it!

I'm hoping to see the HAWP guys and see the BioWare booth, if they're there this year.

Kadajiroth on
  • NicapNicap Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    This is also going to be my first PAX. I am flying down from Juneau Alaska.

I have been on a huge D&D kick this year and I am looking forward to watching other Dungeon Masters and seeing what I can learn. I am hoping talk with wizards of the coast and hopping there will be some unique D&D and RPG swag to get.

I would love to hear any advice or ideas anyone might have for me.

Nicap on
    edited July 2010
    NeuralLink wrote: »
    I'm a disabled combat vet and I have difficulty standing for extended periods of time. I'd like to get a medical pass. I'm not visibly disabled, what forms or notes or whatever should I bring to make sure I can get the pass?
    You need to contact pax directly to get a medical pass they will inform you if you need anything and how the process works. I have had to do one this year for spinal injury. They are very accommodating.

hml151 on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If anyone is wondering how to meet people before the convention proper, remember that the Third Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament happens the night before wherein everyone gets drunk and friendly.

Atlus Parker on
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If anyone is wondering how to meet people before the convention proper, remember that the Third Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament happens the night before wherein everyone gets drunk and friendly.

He's right! The first thing I did at my first PAX was the pub crawl, and met plenty of like-minded individuals. I flew in solo from Phoenix, and getting to know folks on day one is a great feeling.

Drinking is also a great feeling.

OTHER THINGS:

When the schedule is posted, sit down with coffee and plot out the stuff you'd like to see. Have some backups in case a event fills up too fast, and don't feel bad if you don't make it to an event on time: there's something going on everywhere, always.

Phones with internet are great for checking in with others around the convention center. I missed a panel my first year and instead found an impromptu chiptune concert because someone awesome posted a picture on Twitter.

Historically, big stuff in the main hall always has a line associated with it, so give yourself some extra time and be sure to bring amusements. You'll be sitting with a bunch of gamers, so you won't have a problem finding players for Mario Kart DS or Zombie Dice or even a quick game of Munchkin.

Preregister.

The Event Hall is big and awesome and has very shiny things. Lots of folks line up everyday of the convention to be the first ones in, but I've been happy to walk in an hour after it opens without waiting.

Concerts are brilliant and worth showing up early for. Getting up in the front row last year for Wil and JoCo was tremendous! BRING WATER. A little cushion to sit on between sets wouldn't be a terrible idea, either. Be nice to your fellow crowd members: you'll be inches away from them for the next five hours.

If you're coming in by air, the Link Light Rail is speedy, consistant, and only $5 to get you downtown and back! Depending on the place you're staying you'll have an approximately 3-4 block walk from Westlake Station; keep that in mind when you're packing.

Adventures rarely go to plan. Be flexible and you'll have a grand time ^_^

AltDelete on
  • Jason00Jason00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This will be my first PAX. I normally could never afford it because of how close it is to Comic Con, but friends of ours recently bought a house in Seattle and are letting us stay with them, which saves a lot of money.

I do have a question: is there anything to do close to the airport? My plane lands at 2pm, my friend that I am going with gets in at 7pm, and the friend we are staying with gets home from work at around 7 as well, so I have 5 hours to waste. My plan was to waste a few hours, maybe grab something to eat, and then head back to the airport to meet my friend. I don't really want to sit in the airport playing DQ IX for hours, but that's the back-up plan.

Jason00 on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's a light rail line that runs from the airport into downtown Seattle every 10 or so minutes. Should be plenty to do if you consider hopping on it.

Heleor on
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    There's a light rail line that runs from the airport into downtown Seattle every 10 or so minutes. Should be plenty to do if you consider hopping on it.

Yeah, with 5 hours you could hop on the Light Rail to Westlake center, walk over one block and up two to check out the convention center where PAX will be, walk into Gameworks which is right there and play some arcade games, then head back to Westlake Center, grab some grub from the international fast-food court, and jump back onto the Light Rail back to the airport to meet up with folks. The Light Rail takes about 40 minutes to go from one end to the other.

Dreamwriter on
  • ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think the most informative thing I can say to a person going to PAX for the first time is this:

Drop all your expectations out your hotel or bedroom window before you leave for the convention center.

Here's why:

PAX is awesome, and you WILL have fun, that is guaranteed. I had a buddy who had his wallet, cell phone, AND merch (That he paid for) jacked by some assclown going around snatching swag bags. But he still had the time of his life. Even 2 months later, as he was just finishing getting the money back from errant credit card transactions made by the thief, he still regrets nothing (Except maybe setting his bag down).

But if you got here expecting something, eventually you'll find disappointment. This is a general statement, not aimed at anything in particular. Sex, restaraunts, The Last Airbender... It happens. You expect it to be awesome, but somehow something happens that might leave a slightly bad taste in your mouth.

If you go there expecting nothing, you end up being surprised every time you turn the corner! It's like walking around blindfolded, and every five or six minutes taking it off for a few seconds.

You WILL have a blast. You WILL want to come back next year; Hell, you might even wanna shell out a grand to fly to Boston for PAX East in March! But walk around with an open mind, and with no expectations. You'll be glad you did =)

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
  • KatherineKatherine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hello there, my name is Katherine and I am a PAX newbie.
    I was wondering how difficult it is to wear a costume around the convention center. Is it even normal to have a few die-hard cosplayers? I know that there is a masquerade type scenario but I am not sure how normal it is to be wearing your costume to all of the panels and presentations.

My costume would be....immense; and before I commit to bringing it along with me on the plane ride to PAX I want to know a bit more about the cosplay protocol at PAX.

At Anime Central there is a cosplay hospital and the concierge service will hold on to costumes for convention goers, I have been spoiled by this and am not sure how to manage without these options. Do you guys have advice?

Also, I know that the schedule isn't up yet; the only one that I have been able to look at is for PAX East. The panels look amazing! Is the PAX East schedule indicative of what PAX Prime will offer? I have not been to ACEN in a few years because the panels have been lack luster; I am a geek but for some reason the "let's talk about how awesome anime is" run by two college aged otaku just doesn't impress me. The guest list at PAX East impressed me. The quality of panel discussion topics impressed me. I am not expecting a carbon copy of PAX East at all, I am just hoping that there are "serious" panels as well as fun ones. :D

Thanks for any answers, I appreciate that being a newbie is a-okay around here. ;)

Katherine on
    Max sig size: 500x80 px or 4 lines of text
    signature-1.png
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The costume being "immense" might be a problem to carry around and walk freely, depending how immense you're talking, but there are tons of people who stay in-costume during all of PAX, I wouldn't worry about that aspect of the issue.

Djiem on
    edited July 2010
    Djiem wrote: »
    The costume being "immense" might be a problem to carry around and walk freely, depending how immense you're talking, but there are tons of people who stay in-costume during all of PAX, I wouldn't worry about that aspect of the issue.

Video of the costume can be seen here
    look at 3:14

That is how immense it is. Will I be allowed in? Will my costume be considered a weapon?

Katherine on
    signature-1.png
  • WarbladeWarblade Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That costume would be pretty damn impressive, but cumbersome.

First time PAX attendee who hasn't added any questions yet, so I will do so now! =P

I know from the PaxPrime site they recommend traveling via the Shuttle Express Share Ride, but are there alternatives? I heard something about the Monorail from SEATAC possibly being completed by the time PAX roles around?

Warblade on
    edited July 2010
    Would the drill hand get me into trouble? Sorry if I am spamming this thread, I am not trying to!:oops:

Katherine on
    signature-1.png
This discussion has been closed.