As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Alcohol Exchange Network

• b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wonder if the hotel authorities will be more less tight-assed compared to those in past years?

edit: (Such as the Red Lion guard who came knocking at our door not because he gave a damn about our party, but because he wanted to find out if we could give/sell him some Bawls)

b0wser on
  • uc4lifeuc4life Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    and by "bawls" you mean gay sex

uc4life on
  • HobbesHobbes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What is a good site to order cases of Bawls? I am on the verge of killing people for some. I need to get a job and just start buying case after case til' i get my first kidney stone.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I know xoxide and frozencpu should have a ton in stock. Theres always direct from bawls. Popsoda.com has some and appears to possibly be the cheapest ive seen. (1.99/bottle on frozen and xoxide where pops is 1.19). Thinkgeek has some last i checked and a search through google im sure will bring up tons more places.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
    edited April 2007
    Thanks. Jesus, I am going to have to give 31 to 40 dollars every time i need to re-stock on it.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
    edited April 2007
    And I was wondering. Is the hundred dollar fridge on think geek worth the moneys?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/6ad2/

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
    edited April 2007
    Its not a bad deal. I assume its thermoelectric as it can warm things too. Capacity wise its got room for a 24 pack of bawls which is good. If i were you though i would check out your local home improvement stores and see what they have cuz sometimes they have specials and all. Though this one does have a window which gives style points i guess....

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
    edited April 2007
    I guess so. I am going to buy it eventually I think, but Home Depot had these cool drink dispenser fridges and my church has an old soda machine that they don't use anymore, so I might ask them for it.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
    edited April 2007
    Right on, good times with that, but before we get too far off topic im planning on bringing two local brews from my homestate, wisconsin. First of which is from my hometown of LaCrosse and its called LaCrosse Lager. Generic i know but its not bad and its brewed in the world's largest six pack

6%20Pack.jpg

I imagine ill bring at least 2 thirty packs so there will be plenty to try.

The other brew that i'm bringing is more just for myself but its awesome none the less and i suggest anyone who hasnt had it give it a try and that's Leinenkugel's. Its hard to come by as few states carry it and you cant have it shipped (i have to get mine from my uncle everytime he comes down to visit) but if you get a chance to get the sample pack do so, its mighty good beer. I'm a personal fan of the red lager and creamy dark lager.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    my local qfc sells bawls 2 for $3. i always buy out the whole stock.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Had my first experience with raw tequila last night, I'll just say I'm definitely a fan now.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited April 2007
    dyaballikl wrote: »

How about you buy a cases worth for me and I will give you like 2 dollars extra for the case. I want some so badly, but I cannot afford it. the closest area where I can just buy it is like 30 minutes away...

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hobbes wrote: »
    dyaballikl wrote: »

How about you buy a cases worth for me and I will give you like 2 dollars extra for the case. I want some so badly, but I cannot afford it. the closest area where I can just buy it is like 30 minutes away...

where do you live? ...other than "with calvin"

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hi5

Now you're a man.

Highfire on
    edited April 2007
    Well, I would have to have it sent to like a post office or something. I would be killed if I gave my address away. I'll get back to you later. thanks.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hobbes wrote: »
    And I was wondering. Is the hundred dollar fridge on think geek worth the moneys?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/6ad2/

I have that fridge. In fact, the "action shot" with Stewie on top of the fridge is a picture of mine while in my cubicle at work. I bought it because I had to shrink down into a single 8x8 cube and a regular mini fridge was too loud when the compressor would kick in. The ThinkGeek fridge is thermoelectric, very quiet, keeps drinks very cold (down to 39F) and can also act as a warmer (though I've never used it that way). It holds plenty of cans of soda (I think I can cram 18 in there), but if you put beers in there it gets a little tight.

The only downside is that you do get some condensation inside the unit. I have to pull out the lower rack once a month or so and dump it out. It's truly minor.

I thought this was a better buy than the ones you find in Home Depot, Best Buy, etc.

Lastly, ThinkGeek also sells a drink dispenser that can hold 12 cans across 4 varieties and you can press a button and a drink will pop out. More of a novelty than the standard fridge... and more expensive:
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/90b3/

DJBreslin on
    edited April 2007
    i honestly believe you can get a far better deal than that fridge. the quietness is truly a nice aspect, but the mini fridge i have in my room comfortably holds a 36 pack of dew, and only costs $70 at my local fred meyer (kind of a super grocery store). also, 39 degrees really isn't cold enough for me, i like my beers and bawls to be biting cold, down to 32-34 degrees, and the built in mini freezer helps a lot for ice. it really isn't loud, that is i can never really hear it, even though i sleep right next to it, but what i'm saying is that for that price, you can get a lot more.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know, I suppose you're right... if you wanted to maximize the primary function of a fridge, you can do better. For me, I specifically needed something that would work well in a cubicle (small, efficient, quiet).

I was a little concerned about the temperature thing before I bought it, but when I learned that standard refrigerators run 35-38F anyway, 39F didn't seem so bad... and it isn't, for me.

DJBreslin on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I also learned that absinthe is illegal in the states, so don't try bringing that over.

I'm just gonna buy my rum and vodka while down there, as having a bunch of underrage kids and me being the only one that's above 21 looks odd. I mean, christ, it's not like there'll be any left over when I'm finished with it.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Do what you will, but Washington state's taxes are murder on pretty much everything, but especially alcohol.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• EuphasieEuphasie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ok, the Washington state liquor code reads like the tax code, and I'm confused. I appear to be able to bring up to two liters in from out of state without paying taxes equivalent to the ones on what they sell in WA...but if I bring more, am I on my honor to mail in a check, or will someone actually be checking? My previous runs to Washington (to buy cold pills with real meth in them, they're prescription-only here in Oregon) have involved a marked lack of customs proceedings. Anyone with experience <s>smuggling</s> bringing liquor in from out of state but not out of country have advice?

Euphasie on
    Euphasie 83 Human Paladin, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE) Smithereena 67ish Gnome Rogue, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE)
    edited April 2007
    Got a link to that liquor code, I think it will help us understand the letter of the law if we could read it too.

edit: Washington State Procedures for bringing alcohol into the state from within the United States and also from outside the United States

Basically, you're supposed to contact them ahead of time and tell them how much alcohol you will be transporting into the state and pay their tax and markup for it ensuring their continued monopoly on liquor consumed inside the state of Washington. The 2 liter limit appears to be per person, so essentially, a car with 3 people of appropriate age could each get authorization to bring 2 liters, and be able to transport as much as 6 liters with them without paying tax. However, this does appear to essentially be an honor system thing when it comes to coming from within the U.S. If you don't contact them and tell them you're bringing alcohol into the state, the only way they'll know is if they pull you over for some other reason and conduct a search of your car.

edit further: The exact letter of the law

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Taking a brief look at the price lists for both states, there really doesn't appear to be that much difference (Oregon, Washington - Hit "Display List", the out-the-door price is bolded).

I'll definitely be bringing booze up with me; right now it'll probably be Skittles Vodka, provided I can come up with a less pain-in-the-ass way of making it.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Speaking as a native, as long as you're not driving like a maniac or in some big rig that's going to get weighed and/or searched, you're more likely to get hit by lightening than cited for violating interstate commerce laws.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    Do what you will, but Washington state's taxes are murder on pretty much everything, but especially alcohol.

Yeah, but you haven't tried crossing the border to get down there. Everyone in the car was under 21 aside from me, and the first year of pax it looked like the guy thought I was some pedo trying to smuggle in the underagers until they all gave him letters from their parents (HAH!) while the next year on my own, no hassle, then again with last year and 3 other underagers, everyone thought we were going to get pulled aside and have my car torn apart, we got totally grilled in questions.

I had half a pack of cigarettes and that was enough of a fuss, and if I had had alcohol, man.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    leaf wrote: »

Yeah, but you haven't tried crossing the border to get down there. Everyone in the car was under 21 aside from me, and the first year of pax it looked like the guy thought I was some pedo trying to smuggle in the underagers until they all gave him letters from their parents (HAH!) while the next year on my own, no hassle, then again with last year and 3 other underagers, everyone thought we were going to get pulled aside and have my car torn apart, we got totally grilled in questions.

I had half a pack of cigarettes and that was enough of a fuss, and if I had had alcohol, man.

Yeah, I've had some "fun" border experiences. I'm the furthest thing from a drug peddler's appearance, yet the border guard all but said I was smuggling cash/drugs. And he kept saying "Are you transporting more than $10,000 in cash?" I kept saying no. Finally for the 2021929th time he said "blah blah transporting?"
    I said "If you find it, you can keep it."

He stopped and said "So you admit you have it?"
    Me: "No, but I'm tired of wasting my time here. So either look through the car, or take my word for it, but stop wasting my day."

Searched the car and said "Have a nice day."
    Jackasses.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    neville wrote: »
    leaf wrote: »

Yeah, I've had some "fun" border experiences. I'm the furthest thing from a drug peddler's appearance, yet the border guard all but said I was smuggling cash/drugs. And he kept saying "Are you transporting more than $10,000 in cash?" I kept saying no. Finally for the 2021929th time he said "blah blah transporting?"
    I said "If you find it, you can keep it."

He stopped and said "So you admit you have it?"
    Me: "No, but I'm tired of wasting my time here. So either look through the car, or take my word for it, but stop wasting my day."

Searched the car and said "Have a nice day."
    Jackasses.
    They don't select based on appearance because then it would be even easier to smuggle by just looking normal. Selection is essentially random unless there's some red flag that specifically makes them suspect smuggling. So they weren't singling you out to be jerks, they were just doing their job. I'm not denying it sucks, just pointing out that there was no malicious intent involved.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • JustioVonAwesomeJustioVonAwesome Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    Straight up everclear from Oregon.

JustioVonAwesome on
  • PhrakkPhrakk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've got a bottle of Swiss-made Absinthe (Blanche Traditionelle "Brut d'alambic" 'Essai 3') I'm saving for the convention. I'm not a huge fan of the black licorice flavor, and am hoping to pass it around in exchange for some interesting foreign liquors. Anybody bringing anything exotic?

Phrakk on
  • majin23xmajin23x Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'll be bringing a bottle of Le Château de Gabriel Fire Wine. I'll hopefully be at the Sealab Party to allow for maximum distribution.

majin23x on
    **Still Undefeated at Jenga!**
  • teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can hook up some 188 proof alcool from quebec.

teamquiggan on
  • GoudeifGoudeif Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    I just made the decision to spend the money to get my ass to PAX. Is (a lot of) liquor allowed to be in checked baggage? Or should I just buy it in Seattle?

Oh, and I've got a bottle of Sam Adams Utopias that I've been saving for a special occasion. This just might be it.

Goudeif on
  • AkiotenaAkiotena Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Goudeif wrote: »
    Is (a lot of) liquor allowed to be in checked baggage?

I've been wondering that kind of thing myself. I'm pondering bringing a growler+ of Moose's Tooth beers (list here: http://www.moosestooth.net/beers.htm). Does anyone know? Cause if the beer thing fails, I'll just bring a bottle of Captain Morgan Tattoo to be shared among the masses.

Akiotena on
    "It's pretty easy to figure out how much DPS you're doing as a corpse on the ground."

Akiotena.gif
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    TSA Restricted Items List

Short answer: carry on, no. Check in, yes.

anable on
    edited May 2007
    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• RedRumRedRum Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    anable wrote: »
    TSA Restricted Items List

Short answer: carry on, no. Check in, yes.

FYI - I put 3 handles of liquor in my checked bag last month - when going to Vegas. Just be mindful of the weight restrictions of your airline, most of them charge if your bag is > 50lbs. Also, be sure to pack them well, as baggage handlers are not the most gentle beings, and you don't want your clothes reeking of liquor and covered in broken glass when you arrive!

RedRum on
  • SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Legacy wrote: »
    Girly Drinks or liquor.

Real girls drink liquor.
    Just like real men wear pink.
    Or do they?
    I digress...

Liquor ftw.

SergeantAuberie on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Wow. 14 steps to legally bring two liters of alcohol into the state. I think I'm going to take my chances.

:x Sir have you completed your alcohol declaration form for these?
    :| No
    :x You are in violation of Washington state law RCW 66.44.160.
    :roll: My bad.
    :evil: You're under arrest. No PAX for you!
    :cry:

anable on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

Even if you get pulled over, I'll give 5:1 odds that most cops don't know that law.

Doc on
    edited May 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    Also be mindful of the Washington State alcohol import laws, which do affect travel within the United States.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=66.12.120

Even if you get pulled over, I'll give 5:1 odds that most cops don't know that law.

State troopers are more likely to know than local police or sheriffs, even so, they would have to have a reason to pull you over and further reason to search the vehicle. Plus, those statutes are technically for more than 2 liters, per person. But if you're on a plane, I don't think the airlines know about those laws either.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.