As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA 8: UFC 116: The Fourth of July Comes Early!

1565758596062»

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Only Kenflo (who finishes fights) and BJ have been able to finish Stevenson since 2000, though.

815165 on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Only Kenflo (who finishes fights) and BJ have been able to finish Stevenson since 2000, though.

That's true.. and now that I'm thinking of the fight, I'm pretty sure George had some deep submissions sunk in that Joe Daddy managed to roll out of. So it wasn't for lack of trying.

adytum on
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Seriously though, guys. Sotiroupolus.

I NEED YOUR OPINIONS.

That seems like where he's headed. He's 6-0 in the UFC so he needs to start fighting the top contenders soon. Especially since Dana said he was in the mix for a title shot:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18030/while-title-talk-a-bit-premature-dana-white-says-george-sotiropoulos-in-the-mix.mma

Who's going to fight the loser of Penn/Edgar 2?
    And he needs someone coming off a win, not someone coming off a loss. Unless it's someone coming off a title-shot loss. That's acceptable.

Yeah but who else can he fight? The options are the loser of Florian/Maynard or the loser of Penn/Edgar. Who would you have him face that has recently won?

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sotiroupolus is good but I'd like to see him fight a Maynard type guy. They've kind of been soft tossing him guys who'll roll with him, which is cool, but when he was on TUF he had trouble with bigger guys who could just muscle him around. I'd like to see someone who could make him keep it standing, I think his stand-up's suspect, or someone who's got a good strong top control who would throw off his guard game. I'm not saying he couldn't handle it but I'd like to see it.

Peen on
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    UFC 119 is going to be headlined by Mir/Nog II. What a joke. Remember when Dana said he'd make it up to the fans for Anderson's UFC 112 debacle? Not only has he done jack shit for the fans, but he's actually got the gall to headline a PPV with two second-tier fighters coming off devastating knockouts in a fight that has absolutely no relevance in the division. Thanks, Dana!

Wet Bandit on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    UFC 119 is going to be headlined by Mir/Nog II. What a joke. Remember when Dana said he'd make it up to the fans for Anderson's UFC 112 debacle? Not only has he done jack shit for the fans, but he's actually got the gall to headline a PPV with two second-tier fighters coming off devastating knockouts in a fight that has absolutely no relevance in the division. Thanks, Dana!

In my opinion, UFC 116 more than made up for Abu Dhabi.

But, yeah...two guys coming off a loss headlining a PPV? I'm not so big on that.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    No relevance?

Lets look at the HW division:

Brock Lesnar
    Shane Carwin
    Cain Velasquez
    JDS
    Crocop
    Gonzaga
    Nogueira
    Mir

When there are 8 guys worth mentioning in the entire division, 2 of them fighting is always relevant, especially when their profiles are as big as Nog's and Mir's. With one or two wins either guy is in top contention again

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
    edited July 2010
    I'd forget Crocop (not been at his best for years; probably retiring) and add Big Country.

815165 on
  • ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I forgot about Roy, which is shameful because I want him to become champ :(

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
    edited July 2010
    I want to see the twelve foot belt they make him. :^:

815165 on
    edited July 2010
    Big Nog is done. He's had one impressive fight in the UFC, and that was against Randy Couture. The ship has sailed on Big Nog being a contender again.

And Mir has been brutally beaten by both Lesnar and Carwin. He is probably, best case, twelve months away from another title shot, and that's only in a Dan Hardy there's-no-one-left scenario.

So yeah, this fight, as a PPV main event, is not doing much for me.

Wet Bandit on
    edited July 2010
    I'd be really interested to see Mir try and make 205, there are a tonne of really fun matches there.

815165 on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Injury and injury rates in Muay Thai kickboxing
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1724381/pdf/v035p00308.pdf
    Conclusions — The results are similar to those found for karate and taekwondo with regard to injury distribution, type, and rate. The percentage of injuries resulting in time off training is less.
    It may be because I read the article too fast, but I didn't see where they compared the fitness levels of the athletes and how that may have biased injury severity and recovery times.

I don't think it did. The only thing I saw was that respondents had trained for at least 1 year. It said there were 19 beginners, 82 amateurs, and 51 pros, but level of expertise was determined by each respondent themselves. Only "pro" would seem to have any objective criteria, I've seen white belts compete in amateur BJJ tourneys.

And these are numbers from UK gyms. Numbers out of Thailand are... difficult to come by.
    And he needs someone coming off a win, not someone coming off a loss. Unless it's someone coming off a title-shot loss. That's acceptable.

Yeah but who else can he fight? The options are the loser of Florian/Maynard or the loser of Penn/Edgar. Who would you have him face that has recently won?

Evan Dunham just beat Tyson Griffin. Dunham-Sotiropopopoppopolus?

BubbaT on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd be really interested to see Mir try and make 205, there are a tonne of really fun matches there.

He already tried.

http://www.fightofthenight.com/news/frank-mir-attempted-to-cut-to-205lbs-but-was-unsuccessful/

It apparently didn't go so well.

EDIT: And Bubba, Dunham is supposedly going to be facing Sean Sherk at UFC 119. Unless George wants to wait until the end of the year or next year to fight someone relevant, facing the loser of either Maynard/Florian or Edgar/Penn are really his only choices if he wants to move up in the division instead of moving down or staying at the same level.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    edited July 2010
    Ah, that sucks.

815165 on
    edited July 2010
    I know the main event for 119 is meh but there's also going to be Little Nog vs. Ryan Bader and hot damn, that's a good fight.

Peen on
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

He already tried.

http://www.fightofthenight.com/news/frank-mir-attempted-to-cut-to-205lbs-but-was-unsuccessful/

It apparently didn't go so well.

EDIT: And Bubba, Dunham is supposedly going to be facing Sean Sherk at UFC 119. Unless George wants to wait until the end of the year or next year to fight someone relevant, facing the loser of either Maynard/Florian or Edgar/Penn are really his only choices if he wants to move up in the division instead of moving down or staying at the same level.

Ok so this totally works.

Winner of Maynard/Florian Faces Winner of Edgar/Penn

Loser of Edgar/Penn faces Sotiropopopoppopolus

Loser of Meynard/Florian Faces Dunham

Done and done! Dunham gets a move up in competition, Sortiropolus gets a move up in competition and the loser of the number 1 contender fight gets to face Dunham.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

He's already lost to two average light heavyweights, so I don't think he make much of an impact.

eEK! on
    edited July 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    I know the main event for 119 is meh but there's also going to be Little Nog vs. Ryan Bader and hot damn, that's a good fight.

I'm excited for the card, don't get me wrong, but not in a way that's gonna get me to pay money for it.

Putting UFC 119 on Spike would have been the perfect opportunity for Dana to give back to the fans like he said he would.

Wet Bandit on
    edited July 2010
    eEK! wrote: »

He's already lost to two average light heavyweights, so I don't think he make much of an impact.
    I dunno man, seems a bit harsh to judge how he'd do in a weight class now based on post crash fights years ago. Not that it matters if he can't make the weight anyway. :(

815165 on
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    eEK! wrote: »

I dunno man, seems a bit harsh to judge how he'd do in a weight class now based on post crash fights years ago. Not that it matters if he can't make the weight anyway. :(

Plus he made this big deal about gaining all that muscle mass to compete with the bigger guys in the division. Now he's going to starve himself down to 205?

Snarfmaster on
    edited July 2010
    Mark Hunt is fighting at UFC 119?
    FiveOuncesofPain.com has recently learned of two additional heavyweights with the potential to make an impact in the UFC, as a bout between K-1 and PRIDE veteran Mark Hunt and the undefeated Sean McCorkle looks to be brewing for UFC 119.
    http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2010/07/08/mark-hunt-vs-sean-mccorkle-on-tap-for-ufc-119/

I'm skeptical Hunt can get down to 265. When was the last time UFC had a SHW fight?

BubbaT on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i must not be seeing that much PRIDE because i've never heard of either of them

Sweeney Tom on
    edited July 2010
    i must not be seeing that much PRIDE because i've never heard of either of them

He was a promising MMA prospect 5-6 years ago following a pretty decent K-1 career. He beat Wanderlei and Cro Cop. He has an iron chin, he ate 3 LHKs from Cro Cop.

Lost his last 5, all against good competition: Barnett, Fedor, Overeem, Manhoef, Mousasi. He's basically stopped training the last couple of years.

BubbaT on
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FiveOuncesofPain.com has recently learned of two additional heavyweights with the potential to make an impact in the UFC, as a bout between K-1 and PRIDE veteran Mark Hunt and the undefeated Sean McCorkle looks to be brewing for UFC 119.
    http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2010/07/08/mark-hunt-vs-sean-mccorkle-on-tap-for-ufc-119/

I'm skeptical Hunt can get down to 265. When was the last time UFC had a SHW fight?

I'm pretty sure he walks around no bigger than Brock or Carwin does.

Snarfmaster on
    edited July 2010
    I can't imagine why the UFC brought in Mark Hunt. That makes no sense to me.

Wet Bandit on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No one wants to make the new OP?

doug_grammar on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is all you need to know about Mark Hunt:

4q60w4.gif

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so basically he's awesome

Sweeney Tom on
    edited July 2010

I'm pretty sure he walks around no bigger than Brock or Carwin does.

I don't think he has the work ethic like those 2 to cut. And McCorkle walks around at 320, so he has a ton to cut to 265.

BubbaT on
    edited July 2010

If nobody else does, I'll do it; I can't guarantee it'll be as good as you guys' but I'll do my best.

Peen on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    I can't imagine why the UFC brought in Mark Hunt. That makes no sense to me.

Apparently someone tweeted Dana asking about this, and Dana responded that it's a contractual obligation from when they bought PRIDE.

The UFC kind of dicked Mark over, but he himself admitted he wasn't going to make 265... which leads me to believe this might be the UFC's first superheavyweight fight since the unified rules were adopted?? Maybe introduce McCorkle and then he can drop to 265 (apparently he's been trying to do that, but dude's a giant) if he wins?

PS. To those who will only hear about what Mark Hunt is now - which means, by all accounts, someone who hardly trains and is very out of shape and disinterested in fighting - you should know that he's a former K-1 World Grand Prix champion (with a very tough draw in the tournament). He was a freak of nature - his skull is fucking titanium and he could walk through punches (and kicks! from CroCop!) without being fazed, and for a guy that big, he had a surprising agility.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    all this talk of mark hunt made me go re-watch the crocop v hunt fight...damn, cro cop used to be so much more fluid. :( its sad to see what he's become compared to what he used to be

Guek on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Peen wrote: »

If nobody else does, I'll do it; I can't guarantee it'll be as good as you guys' but I'll do my best.

Better get to work. My reign of terror is almost over.

doug_grammar on
    edited July 2010
    Alright, new OP is live. I realize by posting this I'm bumping the old thread above my new one but eh. This can get locked anytime.

Peen on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg