As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 7-8-10: Oh, Poo

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Graphic Violence
Thor and the Warriors Four is up there as one of the best minis of the year, beyond even a kids book. I mean, look at this cool stuff:

twf4a.jpg

Afro-Ray Bill!

twf4b.jpg

Dashing Dukes of Hazard Bill!

twf4c.jpg

twf4d.jpg

twf4e.jpg

twf4f.jpg

Baby Loki!

Great Ten #9, it didn't read like it condensed #10 into the issue to make up for it being cancelled an issue short, it just stops. Which sucks, because the mini was great until now. Eff you DC. But Mother of all Champions is a whore, basically.

TexiKen on

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shadowland was pretty awesome. I kind of expected the ending, but it was still a good setup for the series.

Children's Crusade still kind of bugs me that they didnt fix the art... but whatever.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Batman & Robin #13, if you can't see the cover on your stands, you might be colorblind.

But it was a great single issue, on top of leading into this new arc. And Irving's art is even better than RoBW#2

br13a.jpg

br13b.jpg

br13c.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Secret Six #23 was just awesome from start to finish. A self-contained, single-issue story that's basically an homage to The Most Dangerous Game, it's perfect for anyone looking for a good entry-point to Secret Six. And while every character gets a cool moment, Bane's are far and away my favorite.

2r55n3m.jpg
    2w5ppid.jpg

9jjb80.jpg

I love those bright, cartoony sound effects.

Batman and Robin #13 was really cool too, kicking off with a weirdly disjointed prologue, and then diving into some creepy interactions between Batman, Robin, and the Joker. The whole thing looks beautiful, thanks to Frazier Irving, but I love this page.
    The true fate of Oberon Sexton revealed.
    qrludw.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All of B&R #13

last page of Children's Crusade

Young Allies #2 was good but nothing really outstandingly great unless you count the Electro fight/last page and lesbian undertones.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I liked Secret Six as well, it was as good as the Deadshot stand alone issue Ostrander wrote. The page with Deadshot and the Helicopter, that's streets ahead. "Now I got more."

This RB Silva has a nice art style too, sort of like a cross between Clayton Henry and Stuart Immonen.

And with regards to B&R #13, I'm just going to throw this out there, it makes no sense but it could:
    Bruce Wayne is Dr. Hurt, this is the big trap Darkseid set up. It makes absolutely no sense but I'll go with it.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thor the Mighty Avenger #1 started slow. veeeerrrry slow. But the last few pages do enough to make me want to pick up issue #2. And the lettering is kind of off, the copy is so small it seems like all the people are talking really low, like they're shy or something.

tma1a.jpg

tma1b.jpg

tma1c.jpg

Also, the next Pet Avengers mini will be Avengers vs. the Pet Avengers, because
    Thor, Tony, and Bucky are turned into frogs by Fin Fang Foom. Thor even remarks "not again."

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    I thought Thor's "I said I was sorry." was pretty funny.

DMAC on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    This RB Silva has a nice art style too, sort of like a cross between Clayton Henry and Stuart Immonen
    See, I'd characterize it more as kind of a Cory Walker/Ryan Ottley/Pete Woods mash-up. Seriously, in those early pages where the guys are wearing robot suits, I was getting a total Invincible vibe off them.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Here's another funny bit of Secret Six, showing Ostrander has a good sense of handling Ragdoll's bucket of crazy:

ss23a.jpg

ss23b.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Augh, afro bill, baby loki, my poor baby thor avatar is in danger!

( that looks awesome , mine better be in when I go pick up later this week)

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    JSA All-Stars is a good book. The back-up needs to wrap up soon because it's been going on too long (it's nice to see Hourman and Jesse hanging out as a crime fighting couple, but it's just been too long), but the main story I like. #8 Is basic old school storytelling with great art, and Roxy is what Jocasta should be, and Cyclone and King Chimera are interesting characters as well. Plus, homicidal chimps riding jaguars:

jsaas8a.jpg

jsaas8b.jpg

jsaas8c.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    JakesteraholicJakesteraholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    terrible dialogue + lame art + ten billionth Elektra stab homage = pretty lame DD story

Jakesteraholic on
    3DS friend code: 1247-0157-5888
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    terrible dialogue + lame art + ten billionth Elektra stab homage = pretty lame DD story

You're trying to make me cry. It's not going to work!

I really liked Shadowland, it shows a really interesting path that Daredevil has taken in contrast to what he's been all about since his character's inception. I for one am interested to see how he plays it out considering he's now the head of an organization he fought against for years. I do agree that the Elektra stabbing homage is a little played out, but on the other hand, ZOMG HE KILLED BULLSEYE!!!!!!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Joker asking for help? If that's not a trick, Morrison is even worse than I thought at writing the Joker.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Which comic is that in?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That's the whole point, because you see him asking to be taken seriously to stop Penitente but then he realizes Damien is Bruce's son and you get that glimmer of "Joker crazy" that makes you wonder if he's gone back to being our Joker again.

And Dick is more popular among the GCPD than Bruce was, I liked that touch.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I noticed that bit too, his smile got just a little bigger when he recognized a bit of Bruce's persona in the way Damien was talking. But I doubt that the old Joker will be completely back until Bruce takes up the cowl again. The Joker has even stated before that if there was no Batman he'd give himself up and just spend the rest of his days in a psychiatric institution, drugged out of his mind.

But if Damien grows up to be his father, will we see a geriatric Joker?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I noticed that bit too, his smile got just a little bigger when he recognized a bit of Bruce's persona in the way Damien was talking. But I doubt that the old Joker will be completely back until Bruce takes up the cowl again. The Joker has even stated before that if there was no Batman he'd give himself up and just spend the rest of his days in a psychiatric institution, drugged out of his mind.

Pretty much every Joker finale ends in him dying somehow by Batmans hand or a Bat family member or some hero that has enough. He never makes it to old age.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Pretty much every Joker finale ends in him dying somehow by Batmans hand or a Bat family member or some hero that has enough. He never makes it to old age.

Yes, but those endings are all wrong.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    As long as DC exists Joker will never die, its very hip to kill him in every possible alternate universe like it is to kill Spider-Man, its a 'shit just got real' thing writers use, but Joker is probably the most iconic villain in comics, in most media really even if I think he somehow came in under Hannibal fucking Lecter in a poll. He won't ever not be there.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yes, but those endings are all wrong.

I want an end where the Joker wins and becomes bored killing off all the Gotham Rogues simply because there was nothing else to do.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wasn't that one of the themes of Emperor Joker?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, he won, and in doing nothing but killing Batman over and over and making the world crazy he was basically corrupting the universe to be like him (he even got to the Spectre).

And the son of a bitch killed Krypto by dropping a fire hydrant on him, why the fuck hasn't Batman killed him yet?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    everytime I see how great Secret Six is, I get angry that it is not Suicide Squad

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

83769189731.2.GIF

It happens every once in a while. Plus, the GENERATIONS books are solid elseworld books.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Is he on that cover?

Or are youi saying hes old in the story? The cover at least gives the impression of the era before Joker was unmitigated, R-Rated evil.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To me, it's just Morrison trying to convince us that his big bad is just that badass. Of course, I refuse to read Batman without Batman in it, so I am not his audience to begin with.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    and yet you insist on posting about it just in case we've forgotten

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It seems Joker-ish to get a patsy to do the dirty work for him but he does tend to take pleasure in dealing with people he doesnt like personally. But he doesn't do fear or defeat, guy isn't afraid of Superman.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    and yet you insist on posting about it just in case we've forgotten

Furu are you ok? You seem angry today.

It's ok to talk about it.

mmbb44.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Possible that Furu is from Cleveland?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well he should go check out Miami's fabulous beaches and relax hurp de durp.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fufu is just mad that he's really slow at reading internet news

also because his girlfriend isn't around or something i dunno

on topic, i'm out of town this week and am unable to get comics and am very sad. combined with Doomwar selling out before i could get it last week and this has been the worst month

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Joker asking for help? If that's not a trick, Morrison is even worse than I thought at writing the Joker.

Goddddddd

Also:

drhurt.gif

Oh, Comics Alliance

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The entire bullseye opener scene in shadowlands, all I could think about was " oh man Solar's gonna cry"

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    To me, it's just Morrison trying to convince us that his big bad is just that badass. Of course, I refuse to read Batman without Batman in it, so I am not his audience to begin with.
    Man I refuse to read Batman without Batman in it too.

Batman is Dick Grayson, right? He took over from Owlman. I started with B&R #1...

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Batman & Robin #13, if you can't see the cover on your stands, you might be colorblind.

But it was a great single issue, on top of leading into this new arc. And Irving's art is even better than RoBW#2

br13a.jpg

br13b.jpg

br13c.jpg

Holy crap, did Irving knock it out of the park on this issue. That is friggen perfect. He's doing the art for the entire arc right?

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Irving on Return of Bruce Wayne was kind of a weird pick for the pilgrim setting, but in Batman and Robin he is outstanding. There are some truly creepy and terrifying panels in this issue (Dr. Hurt's evil hedonistic creepy party and the real Sexton). I had no idea he was capable of those pages.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    His work on Seven Soldiers is absolutely fantastic, so I was kind of expecting great things from the pilgrim stuff, as the dress and so on was fairly similar.

Fencingsax on