As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Paradox Interactive] Divine Wind finally on Steam, NEW HoI3 expansion announced

• The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey now, the French aren't that bad. They got absolutely hammered by their neighbours in my most recent game and are down to 3 provinces.
    As Japan. Thanks, PI.

The Fourth Estate on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are you playing HttT? I don't have it.
    Up to In Nomine included, French are pretty much invincible. Out of all the games I've played the only time I've seen them in trouble was in vanilla Eu3 when Burgundy ran crazy in an early game and pretty much became the new France.

zeeny on
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    zeeny wrote: »
    Are you playing HttT? I don't have it.
    Up to In Nomine included, French are pretty much invincible. Out of all the games I've played the only time I've seen them in trouble was in vanilla Eu3 when Burgundy ran crazy in an early game and pretty much became the new France.

HTTT.

That game is still the only I've seen without a super power France. Burgundy did overrun France but Austria overran them and split France up into several OPMs.

The Fourth Estate on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My last attempt at World Domination as Russia was brought to a screaming halt by France, Milan and England. France's armies were absurdly brutal. Didn't finish that game, as fighting horrible, grinding Badboy wars of attrition against the entire world every five years got a little dull.

Also, horrible revolts D:

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Since this is the Paradox thread I should mention that Victoria 2 comes out August 13th.

While I do not know if it is confirmed or not, word on the grapevine says that you should be able to take your saves from Vic2 to HoI3. Since you could do this with Vic1 to HoI2 I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be true.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Axen wrote: »
    Since this is the Paradox thread I should mention that Victoria 2 comes out August 13th.

Trailers for strategy games crack me up. "Did you see that industry menu?! Oh man, I'm gonna click the shit out of that."

Michael H on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll be honest, it got me a bit excited.

oldmanken on
  • ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll be buying Victoria 2 on release day I think. Victoria one was a great game crippled by a terribly unintuitive interface. Some of the changes planned seem really interesting from reading the developer diaries. Stuff like a system where there is an incentive for nations to start a world war if they think they're going to lose their status as a great power, so we might see something like the first world war actually occurring without being scripted.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just wanted to say I love this game and everybody in it. I have spent a ridiculous amount of hours on Europe Universalis 3, and I don't feel quite done with the game yet. Victoria 2 is probably a first day purchase for me too.

Vic on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Isn't the rule with Paradox games wait six months until it's fixed?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited July 2010
    But I want to play now!

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hopefully VP will be quick about making the Mac ports of VIc 2, and CK 2 when it happens.

Wishful thinking, unfortunately. :(

oldmanken on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    (EU3)

I've got a mission to annex Scotland, my vassals. All the requirements to enable "Force Vassalization" are met, and my relationship with them is 200. Yet I still get "Unlikely" as the probable outcome.

I tried waiting for my King to die so his son (who had a much better Dip rating) could take the throne and maybe do it, but the stupid King has now outlive 2 of his heirs and I'm currently heirless, so I dont have a lot of options.

Any suggestions?

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited July 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    (EU3)

I've got a mission to annex Scotland, my vassals. All the requirements to enable "Force Vassalization" are met, and my relationship with them is 200. Yet I still get "Unlikely" as the probable outcome.

I tried waiting for my King to die so his son (who had a much better Dip rating) could take the throne and maybe do it, but the stupid King has now outlive 2 of his heirs and I'm currently heirless, so I dont have a lot of options.

Any suggestions?

Bad rep. Annexations are greatly influenced by the BB rating. Improve it and it will happen. Unfortunately, the way to improvement is passively waiting, so.....

zeeny on
    edited July 2010
    I'm at 0.0 BB. I also have 83 Prestige.

Like I said, I tried to wait out the King, gave me a lot of time to lose some BB (I was also Papal controller for like 15 years, so that helped.)

Kris_xK on
    edited July 2010
    I'm at 0.0 BB. I also have 83 Prestige.

Like I said, I tried to wait out the King, gave me a lot of time to lose some BB (I was also Papal controller for like 15 years, so that helped.)

Honestly don't know if it's not BB. Different cultures, religions, they have "Beware of England" as their country goal, they just don't like your style etc.
    I've had trouble like that before where after years of trying one gets fed up => go to war.

zeeny on
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's not hard to annex an "unlikely" vassal, in fact it usually goes through after 3-4 tries, just be ready to invest a bunch of cash in relations to get them to 200/200 for every try.

I have never seen annexation attempt chances that were better than "unlikely" either.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You guys talking about multiplayer? Couple of friends and I try that every once and a while, a pointer for EU3 (possibly the others as well):

In order to play at all, you all must have the same version and more irritatingly the same checksum. Your checksum is shown in parenths next to your version number, the easiest way to get the same one is to go to your game folder->map->cache and delete all 1.7kish files there. This will force your game to reset the checksum to default. (Although the game will take longer than usual to start up since it has to refigure out all the map stuff). Ideally you should only need to do that the first time you play barring any weirdness your checksums should stay the same after that.

Kane Red Robe on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    (EU3)

Any suggestions?

Keep throwing diplomats at them, keep at 200, keep making the offer. It's a roll of the dice, and eventually you'll hit natural 20.

theSquid on
    edited July 2010
    NATIK wrote: »
    It's not hard to annex an "unlikely" vassal, in fact it usually goes through after 3-4 tries, just be ready to invest a bunch of cash in relations to get them to 200/200 for every try.

I have never seen annexation attempt chances that were better than "unlikely" either.

I've often enough annexed with a maybe. If you get more than 1 vassal from a war, which can happen quiet often if playing within the HRE, by the time you can try the 2nd annexation they love the air you breathe.

zeeny on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So in another go at playing Rome, I once again managed to occupy Carthage and a good number of their provinces. Again, they refused to accept anything but a white peace and this time seemed pretty far in debt as well. Now, given that their Navy had been shattered, I assume that this is actually a pretty satisfactory ending to the war since they should be fairly crippled for a while but my question is whether the low stability and monetary debt have the same consequences for an AI as they would have for me?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you just occupy those territories for long enough they'll be willing to make a better deal.

And in my experience they do have problems due to being broke or unstable. I had a few countries in my last game, notably Egypt, that once they got screwed up enough they had a civil war. Once a country has a civil war, it seems like they never get their stability back up, because they'll be stuck in a cycle of civil wars that'll last forever.

PolloDiablo on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I may be talking out of my ass, but at least in Crusader Kings the AI can't really go into debt, and in EUIII it seems that they have infinite credit when it comes to financing troops(bad experiences with a tiny state financing tens of thousands of mercenaries for entirely unreasonable times). Don't know if it makes any more sense in Rome.

Rhan9 on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rome seems better about balancing the AI. It takes them a more realistic amount of time to recover from wars, and they never seem to have a stupid amount of troops.

PolloDiablo on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright, time for some more Romish questions. Playing as Rome, it seems that one of the tricks is how to get access to horses. In the games I've got them from trading with the Illiarians and by smacking around the Macedonians after they were weakened by some barbarian hordes. In short, by paying some attention to the goings on in balkan peninsula. I also seem to remember seeing some cavalry mercs but not lately.

Given that it seems the cavalry I did manage to recruit seemed pretty expensive, how important is it to acquire horses?

Also one really weird thing I've noticed is that when a barbarian horde takes over a civilized country there is no change in the treaty status of that country at all including continuing to pay out tribute.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited July 2010
    If you just occupy those territories for long enough they'll be willing to make a better deal.

And in my experience they do have problems due to being broke or unstable. I had a few countries in my last game, notably Egypt, that once they got screwed up enough they had a civil war. Once a country has a civil war, it seems like they never get their stability back up, because they'll be stuck in a cycle of civil wars that'll last forever.

Great Britain in my newest EU3 game went into such a cycle, they had built a large empire up but then massively lost a few wars in a row and now 200 years after they are still in massive civil war with 20-30% revolt risks (they initally got to almost 60% revolt risk) and everything that could break off having broken off. It's atually a little annoying as it has allowed Castille to run rampant all over the new world by themselves, I had to engage in colonization to counter them because they were getting too huge.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    NATIK wrote: »

Great Britain in my newest EU3 game went into such a cycle, they had built a large empire up but then massively lost a few wars in a row and now 200 years after they are still in massive civil war with 20-30% revolt risks (they initally got to almost 60% revolt risk) and everything that could break off having broken off. It's atually a little annoying as it has allowed Castille to run rampant all over the new world by themselves, I had to engage in colonization to counter them because they were getting too huge.

I personally did this to Britain in my current game. I'm sort of hoping Scotland or Wales conquers them.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
    edited July 2010
    In my game they just lost all their territories except the main English lands, no one really tried to take them from them, but you might be more fortunate.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Ha, I'm playing as GB this game and instead of it imploding (thank god) Spain, with its huge empire, imploded into civil war. Now for some reason Portugal thinks its hot shit.

France is goddamn huge tho, its bigger than Russia and Ming combined. I really hope that implodes, as that means I'd get to colonize virtually unmolested.

Kris_xK on
    edited July 2010
    France never implodes, they are magic.

enlightenedbum on
    edited July 2010
    I have seen france implode down to like two provinces, just to inevitably rise from the ashes like some kind of cheese eating phoenix. Very depressing, I always hope for major historical powers to collapse for maximum ahistorical results.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In the Steam thread, people had mentioned that they would be interested in playing some Paradox Interactive games online. I think it would be a nice idea if everybody limed the games that they have, and then the creator of this thread could put that in the OP to hopefully help people start up some games.

Additionally, I'm assuming that most of us got these games over Steam. I would be willing to put together a Paradox Interactive Penny Arcade (PIPA?) Steam group so that we could get together and have some fun.

I think it wouldn't be that hard to set up. Basically just set up some ground rules like speed is set to the second setting, play for two hours starting and ending at a certain time on a certain day (or days) of the week. If you are not available to play at the start time (unless something is worked out beforehand) your country is given over to the AI for that play-session. If your contry gets annhilated, you could choose another country at the start of the next play session, etc.

Anyhow, I think it could be a lot of fun. Speak up if you're interested.

by the way the games I own are:

EU3
    Rome: Vae Victis

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I went ahead and made a Steam group for this, just in case anybody is interested. The group is as follows:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/paradoxInteractivepennyarcade

If you want an invite, send me a message to:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/icenein

If this gets off the ground, I'll add the most active users to officer status so it'll be easier to get things set up. I've never set up a group before. I set it to private, but it you guys would rather it be public that's no bother to me, just let me know.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    I'm in Australia, so timezones will probably get in the way of any multiplayer involving me, but just in case:

EU2
    For the Glory
    EU3: HttT
    HoI
    HoI3: Semper Fi
    Rome: Vae Victus
    Crusader Kings: Deus Vult
    Victoria: Revolutions

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm trying to modernize my army to match my westernization and my king's admin is too low.

Can I somehow rush his death?

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited July 2010
    Make him general, lose a lot of battles involving him and hope he dies? Not sure what the actual probability is for this.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Seems to me that in the EU series, France receives an over-simplifed treatment as a culture, with everything inside its modern-day borders eagerly awaiting unification, while other nations are treated more realistically, with conflicting cultures that take a lot of work to organize into something resembling a larger kingdom, and constant revolts.

Might be a product of starting the campaigns way too early and using heavy-handed tactics to consistently force the establishment of a recognizable French nation as a major power on the continent.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    edited July 2010
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I may be talking out of my ass, but at least in Crusader Kings the AI can't really go into debt, and in EUIII it seems that they have infinite credit when it comes to financing troops(bad experiences with a tiny state financing tens of thousands of mercenaries for entirely unreasonable times). Don't know if it makes any more sense in Rome.

In EU3, they have both, money limit & manpower limit. Did you happen to war on the Emperor, infidel?

Edit: However, the way said nations accumulate money, especially at higher difficulty levels is a mystery. Especially the first time you war on Utrecht or similar and find out they have 2000+.

zeeny on
    edited July 2010

Seems to me that in the EU series, France receives an over-simplifed treatment as a culture, with everything inside its modern-day borders eagerly awaiting unification, while other nations are treated more realistically, with conflicting cultures that take a lot of work to organize into something resembling a larger kingdom, and constant revolts.

Might be a product of starting the campaigns way too early and using heavy-handed tactics to consistently force the establishment of a recognizable French nation as a major power on the continent.

They're also one of the "lucky" nations in default EU3.

enlightenedbum on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

They're also one of the "lucky" nations in default EU3.

Indeed, which is why I normally turn "lucky" nations to "none" in my games. It greatly increases the ahistorical-ness of my games. :P

Infact in my current game it is 15xx (can't remember) and France is a patchwork of minor kingdoms (4-5 Provinces each). Burgundy ended up with a North Burgundy and a South Burgundy. One half of the kingdom runs along the North Sea coast and the other half along the Mediterranean coast. With some French kingdoms/HRE kingdoms in the middle separating the two.

England is in the middle of falling apart. After taking all of Ireland the nation is now in the midst of open rebellion everywhere. They lost Munster (which took 3 Irish provinces) and Wales rebelled. Scotland is at war with them in the north and Brittany is taking England's French holdings.

The Papal State has all but taken the Italian penninsula.

Golden Horde has taken most of Eastren Europe and now borders Poland. They also conquered Sweden of all things. This probably does not make Denmark and the HRE happy.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.