As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comic News Thread: all the muck that's fit to trace

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Graphic Violence
News never gets old. The thread does though. And sometimes you need to know how to stay on top of hot button items like this!

mmcw1-1.jpg

So here is where general news items about comics are discussed, from creators and new projects to squabbles with companies over payment to legal issues.

Thanks to Crimsondude for making this from the last thread:
Welcome to the second comic book news thread. This is the thread to talk about news on events in comics and about comics generally. This is the place for news on the business of comic books, such as news on creators deals and sales. In addition it's a place for discussing general announcements, new imprints, new ongoing and comic book minis, etc. It's also the place for news on comics that might not have their own regularly-discussed threads.

Comic Book News Sites

Comic Book Resources
Newsarama (Comics)
IGN Comics
Comics Bulletin
Robot 6 Blog - publisher of the daily (and awesome) Comics A.M. comic book news roundup on the industry and comic events.
Bleeding Cool-- the new blogsite written by Rich Johnston and friends.
Major Spoilers
The Beat, at it's new address

So now you have all the places to check out so this never comes as a surprise:

mmcw15.jpg

because you'll be streets ahead.

TexiKen on

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And it looks like Old Man Logan 2 has been greenlit.

And Brand New Day ends with ASM #647. So goodbye thrice monthly schedule.

TexiKen on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hopefully less Spider-Man per month means the quality of each individual issue will go up.

Lucascraft on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's been pretty damn awesome for the past several months with Sandman, Lizard, Grim Hunt, Rhino, etc. I cant imagine it getting much better. It's also supposed to be going twice a monthw ith Slott. Not a huge difference. Expect Spectacular or maybe more to launch out of the reduced schedule to pick up the slack as well.

KVW on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KVW wrote: »
    It's been pretty damn awesome for the past several months with Sandman, Lizard, Grim Hunt, Rhino, etc. I cant imagine it getting much better. It's also supposed to be going twice a monthw ith Slott. Not a huge difference. Expect Spectacular or maybe more to launch out of the reduced schedule to pick up the slack as well.

I'd rather they have one title being published more often than multiple titles going on concurrently. It makes it harder for me to get involved in a character if I have to balance multiple storylines. Also, I like having my storyline fix more often.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    old man logan 2 is the thing I am most jazzed for

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    old man logan 2 is the thing I am most jazzed for

I am too, though I'll probably wait for it to come out in trade.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guys, look at this
    Munch wrote: »
    Hey Douglas, Officer Downe comes out next week. Tell your shop to reserve you that shit.

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2010
    What happened to that trippy sort of alt comix/outsider thing Marvel was going to do? Jason Aaron was doing some nutso thing with Captain America being a sorcerer supreme or something.

edit-- Here we go, it was Who Won't Wield the Shield? one-shot

Did that ever come out?

DouglasDanger on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yup, I own it. It's pretty groovy.

Munch on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    And Brand New Day ends with ASM #647. So goodbye thrice monthly schedule.

Should we be reading into the choice of words when they say Brand New Day, and not just the production schedule, is ending?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2010
    Its bleeding cool. its intentionally written that way for controversy and page hits.

KVW on
    edited July 2010
    KVW wrote: »
    Its bleeding cool. its intentionally written that way for controversy and page hits.

But he is usually right with the stuff.

I guess he's considering BND to be the 3x a month stuff.

I do want to see if Marvel (meaning Brevoort and Wacker) will just be humble and admit to this experiment not really working after the first year, or if they will give some excuse about how this was a success despite getting lower sales in the end than 3 different Spider-titles. Just a pinch of humility will win some people back, instead of running full speed with blinders on.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    June top 10

Top Comics

1 NEW AVENGERS #1 $3.99 MAR
    2 BATMAN #700 $4.99 DC
    3 AVENGERS #2 $3.99 MAR
    4 BATMAN RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE #3 $3.99 DC
    5 GREEN LANTERN #55 $2.99 DC
    6 BRIGHTEST DAY #3 $2.99 DC
    7 BRIGHTEST DAY #4 $2.99 DC
    8 SECRET AVENGERS #2 $3.99 MAR
    9 UNCANNY X-MEN #525 $2.99 MAR
    10 AVENGERS PRIME #1 $3.99 MAR

OK, the actual cover to New Avengers #1 has "THE New Avengers", yet it seems to just be New Avengers again. Surprised Avengers Prime got up there.

Top 10 trades:

1 BATMAN ARKHAM ASYLUM: MADNESS HC $19.99 DC
    2 CHEW VOLUME 2: INTERNATIONAL FLAVOR TP (MR) $12.99 IMA
    3 HELLBOY VOLUME 10: THE CROOKED MAN & OTHERS TP $17.99 DAR
    4 NARUTO VOLUME 48 TP $9.99 VIZ
    5 FINAL CRISIS TP $19.99 DC
    6 BATMAN: R.I.P. TP $14.99 DC
    7 JONAH HEX: NO WAY BACK HC $19.99 DC
    8 DMZ VOLUME 8: HEARTS AND MINDS TP (MR) $16.99 DC
    9 JACK OF FABLES VOLUME 7: THE NEW ADVENTURES OF JACK & JACK TP (MR) $14.99 DC
    10 CRIMINAL VOLUME 5: SINNERS TP (MR) $15.99 MAR

Only 1 Marvel trade in the top 10, that's a decent victory.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    Wow, the breakdown of trades is completely different from what you'd expect based on top-selling comics.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2010
    It's kind of surprising, but here's a pretty good and lengthy interview with Brevoort and Alonso

It seems that for all intents and purposes they are the people who run Marvel Comics now, While Quesada and Buckley deal more in other entertainment areas.

There's still the usual amount of stupid from Brevoort, where he thinks all publicity is good publicity, and he has a politician's way of thinking that you can never have enough titles out there (he says they could have had four Avengers titles by the time New Avengers #3 comes out but they waited a bit, so basically 3 months).

This part, for instance:
    I think us journalists probably find this to be a thing where we're going, "Hooray! Brevoort's gone off the reservation again" while some fans find themselves going "They really need to take away Brevoort's Twitter." Do you ever feel like you're saying too much or putting things out there that you think the next day you would've said or done differently?

Brevoort: I think it's much more a case of--not so much that I said something I didn't intend as it is that people didn't take something in the spirit it was intended. I certainly have had that happen. I make no secret of the fact that especially on Twitter I just kind of say stupid stuff. That too is a Marvel hallmark, and quite honestly the best thing I can do for any project we've got going is to say something provocative. People like talking about this stuff. They either want to get on board with the thing they view as being out in front of the pack, or to tear down the thing they think is too big for its britches. Nothing gets publicity like people talking. Quite often I say stuff...well, not just to cause a reaction because there's a little more thought that goes into it than that, but certainly I can't always gauge ahead of time what the reaction to something I'm going to say will be. And it's always astonishing the leaps that some of our followers will make between something being said over here and something going on waaaaaaaaaay over here that has nothing to do with that, but they'll make connections between the two. The fact that there are people storming around out there going "Tom Brevoort needs to have his Twitter taken away" means that I'm on their radar far more than I would have been six months ago if I would've just been sitting here with my head down, and as a result Marvel books we're publishing and our stories are a little bit more in their mindspace.

He pulls a strawman at the end to justify saying some stupid stuff, when he of all people should realize the best editor's are the ones you never notice. Because Brevoort tweets or posts something doesn't make my intention to buy that certain title any greater, that's where this forum comes into play since I take you guys and gals opinions with greater weight.

But there will be a Jonathan Maberry follow up to Doomwar called "Klaws of the Panther," so that should be money.

No mention of why Alonso is still editor of the X-Books when they have taken a big dive in quality (and sales) since he took over the line. For as much good as he's done for the MAX line he hasn't translated that into success with the muties.

It is worth a read, at least since they seem to be the new Q&A people for CBR.

TexiKen on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    you forgot to post the awesome klaws of the panther promo art

1278714520.jpg

Furu on
    edited July 2010
    Deadpool was the scene stealer in Doomwar, will Devil Dinosaur be the secret weapon in Klaws of the Panther?

I hope so.

TexiKen on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It kind of bothered me that they never once mentioned the Cosmic stuff.

ManetherenWolf on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It kind of bothered me that they never once mentioned the Cosmic stuff.

I'm concerned about the future of the Cosmic stuff, at least with DnA.

Solar on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    you forgot to post the awesome klaws of the panther promo art

1278714520.jpg

Man, I can't wait for the Doomwar trade to come out...

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited July 2010
    Considering my introduction to Klaw was Secret War, I'm always surprised to see him as anything but a silly guy playing patty-cake, much less Panther's arch-nemesis.

But yeah, with the way you guys have been hyping Doomwar, I'm psyched about getting the trade.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2010
    SA wrote: »
    aw dang

Harvey Pekar is dead

I still haven't read any of his comix. Sigh.

DouglasDanger on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27118

Spoiled for size:
    1278944100.jpg

Ross and Busiek are relaunching some of Kirby's post-Marvel properties (I think Busiek was involved in the short-lived SECRET CITY Topps comics relaunch as well, way back when).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Holy fuck Alex Ross, I can barely tell wtf is happening in that image.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited July 2010
    Greek Street to be canned with #16

Vertigo is cleaning house with titles these days. And just a year or so ago there was that big push with the dollar issues.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Holy fuck Alex Ross, I can barely tell wtf is happening in that image.

You know its bad when Rob Liefeld is bashign your art.

KVW on
    edited July 2010
    SA wrote: »
    aw dang

Harvey Pekar is dead

I still haven't read any of his comix. Sigh.

hey now

whoa now

this is goddang depressing

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    That is a bummer. I haven't read a huge amount of Pekar's work, but AS: Another Day and The Quitter were both hugely enjoyable.

Munch on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I have some of his stuff on my wishlist, but I haven't read any of it.

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2010
    ya'll's chumps

go read more american splendor

i mean you ain't even read our cancer year

you best have seen the movie

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2010
    the movie is great but i've never read the comics

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2010
    keith you are already a well established chump, so not surprising

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    What is the hook of the books, exactly (like American Splendor? Just Pekar musings? That's what I got from the movie.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    Pekar musings and some fine art

except for Our Cancer Year

which is just a year in the life of Harvey dealing with having cancer

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Marvel's new cover incentive program

Official Press Release

As part of Marvel’s unparalleled efforts to provide support to comic retailers in 2010, Marvel is once again offering retailers a chance to turn unsold comics into a rare Marvel variant! The extremely limited edition Wolverine #1 Deadpool Variant will be made available to retailers who return the covers of select Marvel comics.

Retailers – for every 50 stripped covers of the following comics sent to Marvel, you will qualify to receive one FREE Wolverine #1 Deadpool Variant. The 50 stripped covers can be any combination of the comics listed below and all submissions need to be received at the Marvel office at the address below by Friday 8/6/2010. Also included with the stripped covers must be your store contact information including Diamond Account # and email address. With boxes of covers arriving every day, Marvel urges retailers to get theirs in by the due date to guarantee themselves copies of this stunning variant.

Please note: No second or third printings are accepted as part of this promotion.

Stripped Covers To Be Sent:
    NEW MUTANTS 12 (XSC)
    UNCANNY X-MEN 523 (XSC)
    X-FORCE 26 (XSC)
    X-MEN LEGACY 235 (XSC)

AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE 34 (S)
    DARK AVENGERS 15 (S)
    DARK WOLVERINE 84 (S)
    MIGHTY AVENGERS 36 (S)
    NEW AVENGERS 64 (S)
    THOR 609 (S)
    THUNDERBOLTS 143 (S)

TexiKen on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Deadpool varients. Always with the Deadpool varients!

Solar on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What is the benefit to Marvel for getting stripped covers of certain books? Is it an attempt to reduce availability of certain books, or what?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I think it's just to show the retailers that Marvel's willing to give them some free shit to sell, in exchange for some shit they'd otherwise never get rid of. I don't think there's really anything in it for Marvel. I doubt it costs much to manufacture a few Deadpool variants, so it's basically a cheap way to get some good will.

Munch on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well now I'll have to pick up Greek Street in trades. The first is only 10 bucks and it would be cool if DC prices the next (and last) two the same.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited July 2010
    It is kind of weird, I'm sure retailers would just like Marvel to be better about making books returnable. Instead they're doing this half-apology type thing, "we were wrong about the popularity of these books but instead of taking them back here's a variant."

TexiKen on
This discussion has been closed.